Volunteer Programs in Madagascar with Projects Abroad

Beautiful scenery in Madagascar.
Beautiful scenery in Madagascar.
Madagascar offers one of the most unique ecosystems in the world.
Madagascar offers one of the most unique ecosystems in the world.
Sunset in Madagascar.
Sunset in Madagascar.

Projects Abroad offers volunteer programs in Andasibe, Madagascar. This beautiful placement, located off the east coast of Africa, is known for its extraordinary wildlife, lush rainforest, and extensive coastline. Although Madagascar is an increasingly popular tourist destination, at least 69% of the country's population lives below the national poverty line.

Projects Abroad offers volunteers the opportunity to make an impact on the lives of the local community by helping children from an impoverished background in the Care or Teaching projects. You could also join the Rainforest Conservation project and be a part of extraordinary biodiversity or environmental impact studies! If you are interested in Medicine, join the Public Health internship and gain international experience in medical outreach campaigns.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Live and work in the local community
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Help us Preserve & Save the Amazon Rainforest in Peru!

🌍 Discover the award-winning Taricaya Ecological Reserve ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 Available from 1 to 52 weeks

Wake up to the sounds of the jungle & explore the beauty of the Amazon rainforest. On our rainforest conservation program, you'll work with our team of experts to help rehabilitate wild animals & preserve this unique ecosystem for future generations.

Discover more & Apply!

Brigida

SIMPLY UNIQUE!

My journey started in London and it took me several hours to reach the final destination: Andasibe, a small village close to the capital of Madagascar. I was very scared and did not know what to expect... Despite the fear, anxiety and the uncertainty when I arrived I immediately felt at home! People were friendly and kind, the accommodation was superb as well as the food made by the hosting family.
I spent 2 weeks working with kids and I can certainly say that I will never forget their smiles and eyes! After that experience, my life has changed in a positive way: I see things from another perspective and I learnt how to appreciate even the smallest and obvious things I have in my daily routine. I truly recommend everyone to pack your stuff and experience something similar because your life will make much more sense afterwards!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The only thing I would change is the length of the experience. Two weeks were enough to discover a new world and feel unique sensations, however I wish I spent more time there to enjoy it even more!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Brigida,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the Care project in Madagascar. Your effort was not only appreciated by us but, by the local community. We look forward to having you on another project or Internship in the near future!

Tojo Ramaroson, Country Director for Madagascar

Dekendra

Madagascar Experience (Public Health)

My experience was incredible! The people are very friendly and kind. I felt like I was able to fit in and there was never a dull moment. Working in the Public health program, I got to learn so much about medicine, outreach, and community. This experience truly changed my life. I really enjoyed the ability to cater my project to what I want to do and create my own program as well. In Madagascar, they gave me the ability to both learn from the community and other minds as well as bring my own strengths to the table. I was able to implement my love for arts and crafts within the project as well as my interests in planting. This experience also helped me to gain life long friends that I still speak to today. I am very grateful for the experience.

My advice to future travelers in this program is to come with an open mind, and to go beyond your hotel. Get to know the people, but do not exploit them. Do not take pictures without consent or pick up chidlren and take picture with them for your personal media. I would also say to come and be prepared to give back. ,
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Dekendra,
I'm so glad to hear that you had such a rewarding experience on the Public Health project in Madagascar. You made a worthwhile contribution to our ongoing sustainable goals – you were really appreciated by the local community. You are very welcome to volunteer or Intern with Projects Abroad again!

Tojo Ramaroson, Country Director for Madagascar

Carolyn

Volunteer to make a difference

Having just returned from Madagascar for 3 weeks with the Projects Abroad Team, I could recommend anyone wanting to do a project with them. You will be supported through the entire process.

When you register for the program and even before hand should you have any questions about registration or fees.

Upon registering, depending on how far away your program is, you will be briefed about what is expected and how the placement will go. This is normally done about 6 weeks before after final payment has been completed.

If you need assistance with fund raising PA will be able to assist with great ideas.

Upon arrival you will be meet at the airport and you will be guided about money exchange or any other questions that you might have. In Madagascar you will be given a few snacks for the long journey to Andasibe as well as a bottle of water as you no doubt will be parched from the flight.

The staff will be welcoming and you will feel right at home in no time at all. A Welcome lunch and then straight to work..... You will have no time for the "Mora Mora" (slow and steady pace) that you will have .

This program is very supportive, if you are interested in travel and the staff will help you with arrangements to various other locations in Madagascar. I highly recommend using this service.

Zu the chef at the hotel is a wonderful chef we all enjoyed the cultural cooking evening when we made Casava Tempura... YUM...

The town is charming and you will feel right at home...within a week you will recognize the kind inhabitants and they will greet you with open arms at every turn, and will help you when and if you require assistance.

Take a chance, volunteer, make a change within yourself, and assist many others in need. You will be forever changed...

I have done many volunteer programs and I would rate this particular program among the top 3 that I have completed. The staff was wonderful and the group was particularly kind and supportive. We all did almost everything together and we all gelled and bonded very well.