Equine Summer Program in Scotland - Adelante Abroad

Interested in enhancing your equestrian knowledge over the summer? Team up with Adelante to study abroad in Scotland in this truly unique program. Riders have the opportunity to verse themselves in 'British' style equestrianism.

Classroom instruction includes Equine Anatomy and Physiology & Fitness. Also, candidates experience practical and hands-on exercises outside of the classroom. A total of 6 U.S. college credits will be transferable upon completion of the program.

This program gives you a one-of-a-kind experience at an extremely affordable price. Exploration of Scotland is an individual endeavor, but Adelante encourages you to utilize their provided resources during your study abroad trip.

For more details, click on "Visit Site" or if you're ready to fill out an application, click on "Get Started" above. Adelante's support team is excited to hear from you!

Jenna

A Great Experience for those with little travel

This program was absolutely amazing! The classes are very helpful, and gives a different perspective on the horse industry, especially the Fitness class. All of the instructors (both class and riding) are so nice and extremely helpful. The program planned several outings to help see some of Scotland's tourist spots without having to pay or get there on our own. There was still a free weekend, for which the instructors helped us plan a two day trip, and get to the airport/train station/etc. The riding classes are so much fun, and all of the horses have such unique little personalities, and clearly love their job. There was a slight bit of miscommunication between Adelante and our housing, but hopefully that will be fixed for future programs! The dorms we were in were still very nice and clean, but it was a shared bathroom for each floor, and they were smaller than expected. But like I said, they were clean and livable. Over all it is a fantastic opportunity to bond with the girls on your program, and the locals as well! I would highly recommend this program for equine students.

I would advise more clear communication between Adelante and the campus regarding housing, but that's it!
Isabel

Adelante Equine Study Abroad

I loved studying abroad here at Oatridge College in Scotland! We were able to ride the SNEC horses, and go on adventures around Scotland. I highly recommend getting out from the campus and travelling as much as possible, such a cool country! I definitely learned a lot here, studying Equine Anatomy and Fitness. The staff here at the college is so nice, welcoming, and helpful! I 10/10 recommend applying for the program if horses and traveling are some things you are passionate about.

Taylor

Equine Studies in Scotland

This program provided me with a wonderful opportunity to explore many aspects of a country that I have wanted to visit for a long time and helped me to jump back into horseback riding (a passion of mine). Over the course of the trip, everyone here was very kind and helpful and made the trip extremely enjoyable. We were given lots of free time to explore Scotland on our own in addition to the planned trips and I would greatly recommend this program to anyone who loves horses.

Adelante Equine Program

I loved that this program offered opportunities to not only learn new subjects but to also experience a different culture. All of the tutors here were informative, fun, and helpful. I loved being able to ride in addition to our scheduled class time. I also loved the planned outings that our program offered. I thought that the locations they took us to were fun and not something that we would otherwise be able to see very easily on our own. The horses were fabulous and taught me a lot about my riding. The instructors of the lessons were funny and helpful. I loved the riding lessons.

I would add a week to the program in order to possibly be able to go more in depth in the classes or be able to go on more outings.
Meghan

Equine Study Abroad

This program was overall a great experience. The people were all friendly and welcoming which made my first time being abroad stress free. Louise was the best instructor and one of the kindest people I have ever met. All the excursions we took to see Scotland were amazing and I truly feel like I have seen this country in it's glory. We were also given time to travel which I spent in London and I actually looked forward to coming back to Oatridge. The classes were great and I am glad I was able to get my credits here at Oatridge while riding horses at SNEC.

The down time in the dorms could get a bit overbearing, so offering more trips would be best. Also, the bed in my dorm was very uncomfortable and gave me severe back pain which was hard because we walk around so much.
Emily

My Experience

This program was amazing, from being able to get hands on with the different horses to being able to travel around Scotland any chance we could. The fitness class was a really interesting class that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else. The professors were amazing and always went out of their way to make sure everyone was having such a good experience. The riding experience we got here was a lot of fun, it was a new type of riding for me, since I was used to Western style and I was happy to learn in such a great environment. This experience was once in a lifetime and I'm happy to have this opportunity.

N/A
Michaela

Scotland 2018

This program is so well organized and thought out. The teachers for the classes are not regular teachers. They will be your guides through your time in Scotland and be your teachers and they are great at it. Over all I felt the level of the classes was comparable to a similar class you would be doing at your home university. Although the buildings on campus are not prettiest they are definitely on a very nice piece of land. Over all the campus is filled with beautiful horticulture, a very nice farm with pastures and barns. The riding portion of the program was so much and perfect for anyone of any riding experience. The horses were all great and there was never a boring day. The program keeps you very busy between school, riding, and field trips.

Mikaela

I had a fun experience here!!

This trip was very worth it and it really enjoyed all the fun experiences all over Scotland! We were able to explore the area and loved the dynamics of the area. The Riding was also really fun, although we weren't able to do as much as i would have liked I do feel like I was able to advance in my understandings of riding and of the information in the classes too. I loved the horses and the instructure's and would do it again if I could. I love Scotland and am totally coming back

Separate the groups in riding better so that every person has the chance to go farther then they were previously instead of remaining the same

Adelante Equine Program

This was a great program for horse people going abroad. As an equine science student the classes were a lot of review from others I have taken so the classes were not overly challenging, but the professors here are great! The equine fitness class gave me a different outlook on conditioning horses and so I found that class far more interesting than the anatomy one. The riding portion of this program was not as challenging as I was hoping either so if you are looking for a hard program physically or mentally this program isn't for you, but I can not say enough good things about the staff here. They are all extremely friendly and helpful; they want you to feel comfortable and at home and are always willing to help out with anything you need. There are lots of opportunities to get out and see other places near by and around Scotland and the excursions on a couple of the weekends was a huge added bonus! These allowed us to see the Highlands and other areas we would probably not have been able to get to without transportation. This is a great program for anyone looking to go abroad and see another part of the world without learning another language. I would not recommend this program if your main goal is to be challenged intellectually or if you are a high level rider looked to be pushed in that aspects.

I would love to see another week added on to this program. I felt like in some ways we really only got two solid weeks because the first week was a bit of an intro week and the final week was just tying up the loose ends.
Hanna

Adelante Equine Study Abroad at Oatridge College, Scotland

This study abroad program was extremely well organized. We not only get credit for two classes, but also get to ride horses multiple days per week. The food takes some getting used to, but it isn't terrible, and the beds were not the most comfy. All of the staff are super nice and helpful and the rooms and bathrooms in the dorm are cleaned daily. We also had a lot of time to explore Edinburgh and see other sites around Scotland. Overall this was an awesome experience I would totally recommend.

n/a
Katie

First time study abroad student

I enjoyed the program a lot it was a lot of fun and the professors make the program. Riding was a lot of fun and I did learn a lot. I made friends of this trip for another university and it was pretty awesome. The horses that are used in the program are very much suited to the rider placed with that horse. The organization was really go they kept us busty and encouraged us to travel on our free time. The free weekend we were given some of us went to London and Ireland. If I could do it all over again I would not second guess this trip. I am so happy that I made the choice to study abroad.

The living arrangements could have been a little bit better. But they living conditions were not bad.
Isabelle

Adelante Equine Study Abroad at Oatridge College

This is a very good study abroad program. All of the staff at the college are super friendly and want to make it the best experience possible. The itinerary was structured enough to keep the days filled, while still leaving plenty of time in the evenings and on off days to experience the surrounding areas. The facilities are very clean and well-kept, with only the beds being a little hard. It is important to remember that with any study abroad experience the food will be different, the housing will be different, the transportation and places to go will be different. Just don't expect everything to be the same as it is at home. Embrace the new culture.

Sydney

Summer to Remember

I really enjoyed my time studying here in Scotland. I have met a lot of great people and have seen amazing things in Scotland and all over Europe. I also like being able to ride almost everyday. There is a great variety of horses and the barn has a wonderful atmosphere. The classes were great because I learned a lot while still having enough free time to see Scotland and adventure. I highly recommend trying to travel anywhere you can while you are here, and before/ after the program!

Only improvement would be changing the dorms that the study abroad students are in, and making it easier to get food on the weekend.
Sydney

Adelante Equine Program

Overall, I had an amazing time on this trip. The staff here was extremely welcoming and helpful, and always made sure we had someone available to help us if needed. I do wish that the riding was a bit more rigorous, although I know it's hard to get super deep into riding in only a 4-week program. I also found the classes to be extremely easy, and think that in the future they could be a bit more challenging for students. My favorite part about this trip was really being able to submerge myself into the Scottish culture. I learned so much just from touring castles, palaces, or just walking the streets of Edinburgh and talking to locals. At the end of the day, those amazing experiences are the ones I will remember and carry with me wherever I go.

I would love to see the riding be a bit more challenging. I understand that riders come from all different starting levels, however for the upper level groups, I would love to see them be able to do more things such as jumping more quickly.

:-)

Studying abroad at Oatridge College was amazing. The staff was extremely friendly and offered a lot of transportation and help when we wanted it. We had lots of free time to go out and explore and it was easy to do so. We rode up to 4 times a week and had a different horse almost every time. I hadn't formally jumped before I came here and now I feel comfortable jumping on my own. Highly recommend!!!

About Adelante Abroad

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure...