Equine Summer Program in Scotland - Adelante Abroad

Interested in enhancing your equestrian knowledge over the summer? Team up with Adelante to study abroad in Scotland in this truly unique program. Riders have the opportunity to verse themselves in 'British' style equestrianism.

Classroom instruction includes Equine Anatomy and Physiology & Fitness. Also, candidates experience practical and hands-on exercises outside of the classroom. A total of 6 U.S. college credits will be transferable upon completion of the program.

This program gives you a one-of-a-kind experience at an extremely affordable price. Exploration of Scotland is an individual endeavor, but Adelante encourages you to utilize their provided resources during your study abroad trip.

For more details, click on "Visit Site" or if you're ready to fill out an application, click on "Get Started" above. Adelante's support team is excited to hear from you!

Francesca

Wonderful and Knowledgeable Experience

I really enjoyed my experience at this program. I enjoyed the classes we took, as well as the horseback riding lessons, and thought that the professors and instructors were very kind, caring, and helpful. As an Equine Science major, this program really added to my learning and experiences. I also liked learning about the culture in Scotland. I learned a lot about the culture through the trips we took, and also really liked going on horse related trips, such as to the Perth Races.

Stephanie

Scotland Equine Study Abroad

This study abroad experience was one of a kind! The opportunity to study in a foreign country, both traditionally in the classroom and also in the arena was really unique. I enjoyed both of the courses offered, and really enjoyed applying what we learned in the classroom in a hands on setting in the barn as well. The instructors are very well educated in their fields and have a lot to teach, but are also very interested in learning about different perspectives that come from being a part of the equine industry in another country. The riding instructors are amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed every riding lesson and every horse that I rode. The instructors are there to make you a better rider, but are also very encouraging as well. The equestrian facilities are really impressive and there is always something happening there to see on the weekends. The residential accommodations are great for the amount of time that you are spending there. The planned day trips are really well done and very cool! And there is an ample amount of free time where several groups went into Edinburgh or on horse treks in the area. There is a lot to experience and learn from this program, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves horses, riding, or is interested in an equine career!

For the equine fitness class, there was a significant amount of outside work required, but it was fairly redundant in my opinion. I would recommend reducing the number of outcomes required from the students. I would also say that another day of riding during the first week would be appreciated.
Samara

An Equine Experience to Remember

This program is a lot of fun and an experience that one will not forget. From learning about equine fitness and anatomy to riding multiple horses to advance the riding skills that students came in knowing. My favourite memory was the time we went to the Perth Gold cup which was a day of jump races. I have never see any racing whether it be flat or jump. We were right up at the rail and had a first hand view of the jockeys riding by and finish. Also, I had a great time expanding my riding ability to jumping a course towards the end because I do not jump regularly when I take lessons. This experience is one that I would recommend to any college student wanting to see Scotland and meet some amazing staff.

I would only say that the hours of the library and computer lab could be improved or better explained to students for those that did not bring a computer.
Katelin

Equine Study Abroad 2017

The past four weeks I have spent in Scotland with the Adelante Equine Summer Program have been some of the best weeks of my life. I have really enjoyed getting to learn about a different culture and see the beautiful Scottish country side. The equine professors and riding instructors have been so kind, helpful, and accommodating and have been able to teach us a lot about equine anatomy, fitness, and riding in the four short weeks we have been here. The horses were great and I will miss them when I leave. The trips we went on while here were also fabulous and allowed us to see many of the greatest things in Scotland. I would recommend this program to anyone who has a passion for horses and beautiful scenery.

Aly

Life Changing

This trip was super fun and I'm glad I got the chance to come! I had a lot of fun experiencing Scotland while making new friends. The classes were fun and hands-on, while remaining practical for the real world. The professors and other staff were extremely helpful in making sure we were happy and taken care of. Riding was my favorite part as I got to learn English disciplines and ride several horses to fine-tune my own abilities. I have a ton of memories from this program and hope I can visit again!

Jessica

May Never Leave

I would recommend this program to anyone. I actually ended up extending my stay a few more weeks because I fell in love with the country and the culture. The staff did a very good job of helping each student adjust to a new culture. The planned trip we took were amazing and gave us a great overview of Scotland. This help us plan our own trips to various cities around Scotland. The academics were also good. They pushed us to learn, but I never felt overwhelmed with work. The anatomy and physiology class was my favourite because of all the different things we learned. The fitness class was informative, but some of the assignments felt like busy work. The riding program was also incredible. The instructors pushed each rider to improve our riding. The horses were sweet and super responsive, however they still pushed the riders to improve.

Megan

Cheeky Horses and Fab Experiences

Where to even begin...this program is way more than just a program- it is an experience with memories that will last forever. Scotland for starters, is a beautiful country with some of the nicest people. Arriving to the college the first day, groggy and jet lagged with no idea what to expect, we were all pleasantly surprised at how homey the college feels. We were greeted by the local guys that were taking classes and they always invited us out to the pub and to hang out with them. We had the opportunity to be immersed in their culture, and we could share a bit about our culture as well, and we all seamlessly meshed into a Scottish-American group for the time that the locals were here. The classes were loads of fun, and they really gave us the opportunity to do practical experiences on the horses. The staff at Oatridge were extremely accommodating, and they took us to so many neat cultural places in Scotland for a day off of classes and for adventures. On to the best part- the riding-the yard staff are incredible, and they are so helpful in assisting you to become a better rider. Not to mention the horses are fab, but a few are a wee bit cheeky but entirely loveable. Time goes way too fast while you're here, and you will be tempted to try and bring some of the horses back with you when the program ends. A piece of my heart will always be left behind in Scotland, and I will cherish the memories and experiences I've had here for the rest of my life. I would 100% recommend this program!

I think overall this program is amazing!! One of the classes, Equine Fitness, is a little bit rushed with trying to complete 3 assessments in a short time, so if there were less projects then it would make it less stressful
Elizabeth

Horsey Fun

This program was really great and allowed me to meet a bunch of new people with different backgrounds riding different horses. The cultural experiences give you a taste of Scottish culture that makes you want to come back and experience more. The staff is all very friendly and willing to help make the program an individual success for each student . I would recommend this program to anyone interested.

Mikaela

Brilliant Equine Study Abroad Program

This program was fantastic, I have absolutely no complaints about my 4 weeks spent here in Scotland. This campus and staff were welcoming and made for a great trip. | cannot wait to get home and share my amazing experiences with students who wish to go on this trip next year. The trips around Scotland were perfect, it was a good break from campus while also learning more about the Scottish culture and history. I learned so much about the English Discipline, as I came from a Western background. If there was anything I would change about the course, it would be the structure of the fitness course to do be such a large workload. I found it a bit difficult to manage all the new experiences and opportunities, while also completing all the assignments that were assigned in this course.

As we are only here for 4 weeks and have a lot to take in with the new surrounds and such, I feel like the fitness class could use some restructuring. Maybe if the fitness class was structured more like the anatomy class, in the fact that we didn't have as much out of class work to do, so we can ensure we are enjoying the trip while also learning rather than spending our time here worrying about a huge workload.
Brittany

Great Equine Program

I loved the combination of class credits and riding time, and the equestrian centre here is top notch. All of the staff are very friendly and willing to help you with anything. You get your own dorm room with a bathroom, along with a common room with a fridge to keep food. There are some planned excursions that are a lot of fun, and also some free weekends where you can do your own thing. It went by very fast but I do think it was a very good amount of time to settle in and get to experience the culture of the area. My only complaint would be that there was limited access to computers, so maybe a bring a laptop with you if you can.

Longer library hours or open computer rooms at designated times for program participants. We were busy for pretty much the entire time the library was open every day.
Emily

Hands on experience

This was a great experience. I love how hands on they were. The lesson horses were wonderful. I definitely would recommend the program to anyone that loves the horse. I enjoyed the outings that they scheduled and I adored the people that ran the program. My favourite part was going to the Scottish Borders to the Floors Castle Stud Farm. All around it was a wonderful trip. I would definitely come back if I had the chance.

A little more organization to the classroom schedule would have been good. The grading in some of the classes was inconsistent.
Jessica

Now I Want to Move Here

The UK has always been one of my favourite places in the world that I had never been to, until now. I found this program by simply doing a google search for equine study abroad in Europe. I knew I wanted a study abroad in Europe working directly with animals. When I found this study I knew it was the one. It has been everything I wanted and so much more. The Scottish people are so very nice and welcoming and so much fun to get on with. The horses were great and so well taken care of. Exploring castles, the countryside, hiking, everything has been the most fun I have had in my entire life. I have wanted to move to Europe for a long time, and now Scotland is a huge consideration for the place I might move. When trying to find somewhere to go or figure out how to get there, all of the people at the college, as well as around the towns, were always ready and willing to help us in any way they could. Louise has to be one of my favourite people here. She is such a nice sweet lady and so much fun to talk to. She instantly me feel welcomed and at home the moment I met her at the airport. I have felt completely at home in this whole country, more so than I do in the States. I absolutely recommend this program and would even do it again myself if I could!

I fell the riding group I was in was below my ability/experience level, so I would have liked the opportunity to move up/change groups as I felt I was somewhat held back with the group I was in.
Amber

Equine Summer Study

The past four weeks in Scotland has been very enriching, and the courses have been very interesting. Through this program, I have improved my English riding technique, had the opportunity to do small jumps, and dressage work. The instructors for riding will give you many critiques as well as encouragement. There are a variety of horses (and with that, temperaments) here at the stables at the Oatridge campus. The equine anatomy and physiology course has been interactive and hands-on. When we were learning about the muscles and bones of the horse, we had the chance to stick labels on live horses and see where these structures were on the actual animal. We learned about the major organ systems in the class. There was an overview of each system and some details about the types of cells in each system. The equine fitness class has taught me more about the different disciplines that you can train a horse for. I haven't competed with horses while growing up, so this has been a great introduction into eventing, dressage, polo, and other areas of competition. I've also liked getting to see how different muscles and skills are necessary based on the discipline. Overall, I have learned quite a bit from this program from riding to the fitness required for different levels of horse competitions. I have not been a big fan of the food here. The options are different than what I'm used to eating back home. There are usually more options with curry and ALWAYS chips (fries) offered with every meal. However, there is always at least two options for food and supplementary food can be purchased from the nearby "Walmart" (ASDA), which we frequent on a weekly basis for supplies. The landscape of Scotland is truly the rolling green pastures with some mountains in the distance. It's simply gorgeous, and the locals are very friendly. I've also learned more about the culture (including common Scottish lingo) and met people from a wide variety of horsie backgrounds.

I would've liked to also learn specific nerves and seen where they lie on a live horse.
Sara

Scotland Equine Study Abroad review

I really enjoyed my experience at Oatridge in the Study Abroad program. The classes were very informational and gave me lots of practical knowledge about aspects of horses I hadn't known about. Everyone was so friendly and the activities were very interesting and fun to experience with the girls I met here. I really enjoyed riding the different horses at the yard because they were all different but very well trained. Overall, my experience was phenomenal and I would recommend anyone interested in any kind of Equine profession to come have this experience.

Megan

Amazing trip to Scotland!

I very much enjoyed my experience abroad at Oatridge College. The instructors and workers at Oatridge were all very warm, welcoming, and helpful! They tried to learn our names as quickly as they could, kept up to date with how we were feeling, and if we needed anything they tried to accommodate us as best they could.

The classes were decently fast paced, but as long as I studied a bit after the class and before the assessments, I did fine.

We also got to ride a lot over the course of the program, and by the end of the four weeks everyone was able to do dressage tests and jumping over small jumps, so the lessons were really quite thorough!

I loved the extra trips we made, especially the trips to Loch Lomond and Perth Races.
There were also plenty of hiking places around the college with amazing views, provided you were willing to climb for them.

-Make sure to have adequate communication between Adelante and Oatridge, I did not receive accurate information from Adelante and so when I arrived at Oatridge there were several things that were different.
Other than that, the program was pretty perfect!

About Adelante Abroad

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure...