Equine Summer Program in Scotland - Adelante Abroad

Equine Summer Program in Scotland - Adelante Abroad

Save $150 During International Education Week
In honor of IEW, all new applicants who apply by November 17th get $150 off toward their 2018 Spring internship (February – May)!

Spend 2-6 months in Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Spain, or Uruguay. Customized placements, housing, and Spanish language courses included in program costs.

Interested in enhancing your equestrian knowledge over the summer? Team up with Adelante to study abroad in Scotland in this truly unique program. Riders have the opportunity to verse themselves in 'British' style equestrianism.

Classroom instruction includes Equine Anatomy and Physiology & Fitness. Also, candidates experience practical and hands-on exercises outside of the classroom. A total of 6 U.S. college credits will be transferable upon completion of the program.

This program gives you a one-of-a-kind experience at an extremely affordable price. Exploration of Scotland is an individual endeavor, but Adelante encourages you to utilize their provided resources during your study abroad trip.

For more details, click on "Visit Site" or if you're ready to fill out an application, click on "Get Started" above. Adelante's support team is excited to hear from you!
Europe » Scotland » Edinburgh
Letters of Recommendation
Phone / Skype Interview
Application Fee
-Pre-departure orientation and counseling
-Airport pickup and orientation on arrival in Scotland
-College tuition for 2 classes worth a total of 6 US credits
-Your own private room and bathroom in college accommodation.
-Free wireless internet available.
-Breakfast, lunch and dinner provided during the week, breakfast and dinner at the weekend.
-Access to computers in college Resource Centre. Laptops can also be borrowed on a weekly basis.
-College staff on-site will be available to assist students with individual requests, trecking in the -Highlands or other activities and in-country travel.
-Excursions to local cultural sites and events eg. Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle, William
-Wallace Monument, the Highland Games, the Royal Highland Show and more.
-Sealed college transcripts on completion

Francesca
Massachusetts

Wonderful and Knowledgeable Experience

I really enjoyed my experience at this program. I enjoyed the classes we took, as well as the horseback riding lessons, and thought that the professors and instructors were very kind, caring, and helpful. As an Equine Science major, this program really added to my learning and experiences. I also liked learning about the culture in Scotland. I learned a lot about the culture through the trips we took, and also really liked going on horse related trips, such as to the Perth Races.

Stephanie
Texas
Texas A&M University

Scotland Equine Study Abroad

This study abroad experience was one of a kind! The opportunity to study in a foreign country, both traditionally in the classroom and also in the arena was really unique. I enjoyed both of the courses offered, and really enjoyed applying what we learned in the classroom in a hands on setting in the barn as well. The instructors are very well educated in their fields and have a lot to teach, but are also very interested in learning about different perspectives that come from being a part of the equine industry in another country. The riding instructors are amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed every riding lesson and every horse that I rode. The instructors are there to make you a better rider, but are also very encouraging as well. The equestrian facilities are really impressive and there is always something happening there to see on the weekends. The residential accommodations are great for the amount of time that you are spending there. The planned day trips are really well done and very cool! And there is an ample amount of free time where several groups went into Edinburgh or on horse treks in the area. There is a lot to experience and learn from this program, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves horses, riding, or is interested in an equine career!

For the equine fitness class, there was a significant amount of outside work required, but it was fairly redundant in my opinion. I would recommend reducing the number of outcomes required from the students. I would also say that another day of riding during the first week would be appreciated.

Samara
Redmond WA

An Equine Experience to Remember

This program is a lot of fun and an experience that one will not forget. From learning about equine fitness and anatomy to riding multiple horses to advance the riding skills that students came in knowing. My favourite memory was the time we went to the Perth Gold cup which was a day of jump races. I have never see any racing whether it be flat or jump. We were right up at the rail and had a first hand view of the jockeys riding by and finish. Also, I had a great time expanding my riding ability to jumping a course towards the end because I do not jump regularly when I take lessons. This experience is one that I would recommend to any college student wanting to see Scotland and meet some amazing staff.

I would only say that the hours of the library and computer lab could be improved or better explained to students for those that did not bring a computer.

Katelin
North Carolina
Randolph College

Equine Study Abroad 2017

The past four weeks I have spent in Scotland with the Adelante Equine Summer Program have been some of the best weeks of my life. I have really enjoyed getting to learn about a different culture and see the beautiful Scottish country side. The equine professors and riding instructors have been so kind, helpful, and accommodating and have been able to teach us a lot about equine anatomy, fitness, and riding in the four short weeks we have been here. The horses were great and I will miss them when I leave. The trips we went on while here were also fabulous and allowed us to see many of the greatest things in Scotland. I would recommend this program to anyone who has a passion for horses and beautiful scenery.

Aly
Missouri, USA
University of Missouri- Columbia

Life Changing

This trip was super fun and I'm glad I got the chance to come! I had a lot of fun experiencing Scotland while making new friends. The classes were fun and hands-on, while remaining practical for the real world. The professors and other staff were extremely helpful in making sure we were happy and taken care of. Riding was my favorite part as I got to learn English disciplines and ride several horses to fine-tune my own abilities. I have a ton of memories from this program and hope I can visit again!

Jessica
Athens
University of Georgia

May Never Leave

I would recommend this program to anyone. I actually ended up extending my stay a few more weeks because I fell in love with the country and the culture. The staff did a very good job of helping each student adjust to a new culture. The planned trip we took were amazing and gave us a great overview of Scotland. This help us plan our own trips to various cities around Scotland. The academics were also good. They pushed us to learn, but I never felt overwhelmed with work. The anatomy and physiology class was my favourite because of all the different things we learned. The fitness class was informative, but some of the assignments felt like busy work. The riding program was also incredible. The instructors pushed each rider to improve our riding. The horses were sweet and super responsive, however they still pushed the riders to improve.

Megan
Lexington, KY

Cheeky Horses and Fab Experiences

Where to even begin...this program is way more than just a program- it is an experience with memories that will last forever. Scotland for starters, is a beautiful country with some of the nicest people. Arriving to the college the first day, groggy and jet lagged with no idea what to expect, we were all pleasantly surprised at how homey the college feels. We were greeted by the local guys that were taking classes and they always invited us out to the pub and to hang out with them. We had the opportunity to be immersed in their culture, and we could share a bit about our culture as well, and we all seamlessly meshed into a Scottish-American group for the time that the locals were here. The classes were loads of fun, and they really gave us the opportunity to do practical experiences on the horses. The staff at Oatridge were extremely accommodating, and they took us to so many neat cultural places in Scotland for a day off of classes and for adventures. On to the best part- the riding-the yard staff are incredible, and they are so helpful in assisting you to become a better rider. Not to mention the horses are fab, but a few are a wee bit cheeky but entirely loveable. Time goes way too fast while you're here, and you will be tempted to try and bring some of the horses back with you when the program ends. A piece of my heart will always be left behind in Scotland, and I will cherish the memories and experiences I've had here for the rest of my life. I would 100% recommend this program!

I think overall this program is amazing!! One of the classes, Equine Fitness, is a little bit rushed with trying to complete 3 assessments in a short time, so if there were less projects then it would make it less stressful

Elizabeth
USA

Horsey Fun

This program was really great and allowed me to meet a bunch of new people with different backgrounds riding different horses. The cultural experiences give you a taste of Scottish culture that makes you want to come back and experience more. The staff is all very friendly and willing to help make the program an individual success for each student . I would recommend this program to anyone interested.

Mikaela
Columbia, Missouri
University of Missouri- Columbia

Brilliant Equine Study Abroad Program

This program was fantastic, I have absolutely no complaints about my 4 weeks spent here in Scotland. This campus and staff were welcoming and made for a great trip. | cannot wait to get home and share my amazing experiences with students who wish to go on this trip next year. The trips around Scotland were perfect, it was a good break from campus while also learning more about the Scottish culture and history. I learned so much about the English Discipline, as I came from a Western background. If there was anything I would change about the course, it would be the structure of the fitness course to do be such a large workload. I found it a bit difficult to manage all the new experiences and opportunities, while also completing all the assignments that were assigned in this course.

As we are only here for 4 weeks and have a lot to take in with the new surrounds and such, I feel like the fitness class could use some restructuring. Maybe if the fitness class was structured more like the anatomy class, in the fact that we didn't have as much out of class work to do, so we can ensure we are enjoying the trip while also learning rather than spending our time here worrying about a huge workload.

Brittany
Lexington, Kentucky

Great Equine Program

I loved the combination of class credits and riding time, and the equestrian centre here is top notch. All of the staff are very friendly and willing to help you with anything. You get your own dorm room with a bathroom, along with a common room with a fridge to keep food. There are some planned excursions that are a lot of fun, and also some free weekends where you can do your own thing. It went by very fast but I do think it was a very good amount of time to settle in and get to experience the culture of the area. My only complaint would be that there was limited access to computers, so maybe a bring a laptop with you if you can.

Longer library hours or open computer rooms at designated times for program participants. We were busy for pretty much the entire time the library was open every day.

Emily
Kentucky

Hands on experience

This was a great experience. I love how hands on they were. The lesson horses were wonderful. I definitely would recommend the program to anyone that loves the horse. I enjoyed the outings that they scheduled and I adored the people that ran the program. My favourite part was going to the Scottish Borders to the Floors Castle Stud Farm. All around it was a wonderful trip. I would definitely come back if I had the chance.

A little more organization to the classroom schedule would have been good. The grading in some of the classes was inconsistent.

Jessica

Now I Want to Move Here

The UK has always been one of my favourite places in the world that I had never been to, until now. I found this program by simply doing a google search for equine study abroad in Europe. I knew I wanted a study abroad in Europe working directly with animals. When I found this study I knew it was the one. It has been everything I wanted and so much more. The Scottish people are so very nice and welcoming and so much fun to get on with. The horses were great and so well taken care of. Exploring castles, the countryside, hiking, everything has been the most fun I have had in my entire life. I have wanted to move to Europe for a long time, and now Scotland is a huge consideration for the place I might move. When trying to find somewhere to go or figure out how to get there, all of the people at the college, as well as around the towns, were always ready and willing to help us in any way they could. Louise has to be one of my favourite people here. She is such a nice sweet lady and so much fun to talk to. She instantly me feel welcomed and at home the moment I met her at the airport. I have felt completely at home in this whole country, more so than I do in the States. I absolutely recommend this program and would even do it again myself if I could!

I fell the riding group I was in was below my ability/experience level, so I would have liked the opportunity to move up/change groups as I felt I was somewhat held back with the group I was in.

Amber
Austin, TX
Texas A&M University

Equine Summer Study

The past four weeks in Scotland has been very enriching, and the courses have been very interesting. Through this program, I have improved my English riding technique, had the opportunity to do small jumps, and dressage work. The instructors for riding will give you many critiques as well as encouragement. There are a variety of horses (and with that, temperaments) here at the stables at the Oatridge campus. The equine anatomy and physiology course has been interactive and hands-on. When we were learning about the muscles and bones of the horse, we had the chance to stick labels on live horses and see where these structures were on the actual animal. We learned about the major organ systems in the class. There was an overview of each system and some details about the types of cells in each system. The equine fitness class has taught me more about the different disciplines that you can train a horse for. I haven't competed with horses while growing up, so this has been a great introduction into eventing, dressage, polo, and other areas of competition. I've also liked getting to see how different muscles and skills are necessary based on the discipline. Overall, I have learned quite a bit from this program from riding to the fitness required for different levels of horse competitions. I have not been a big fan of the food here. The options are different than what I'm used to eating back home. There are usually more options with curry and ALWAYS chips (fries) offered with every meal. However, there is always at least two options for food and supplementary food can be purchased from the nearby "Walmart" (ASDA), which we frequent on a weekly basis for supplies. The landscape of Scotland is truly the rolling green pastures with some mountains in the distance. It's simply gorgeous, and the locals are very friendly. I've also learned more about the culture (including common Scottish lingo) and met people from a wide variety of horsie backgrounds.

I would've liked to also learn specific nerves and seen where they lie on a live horse.

Sara
Austin, TX USA

Scotland Equine Study Abroad review

I really enjoyed my experience at Oatridge in the Study Abroad program. The classes were very informational and gave me lots of practical knowledge about aspects of horses I hadn't known about. Everyone was so friendly and the activities were very interesting and fun to experience with the girls I met here. I really enjoyed riding the different horses at the yard because they were all different but very well trained. Overall, my experience was phenomenal and I would recommend anyone interested in any kind of Equine profession to come have this experience.

Megan
Minnesota, USA
North Dakota State University

Amazing trip to Scotland!

I very much enjoyed my experience abroad at Oatridge College. The instructors and workers at Oatridge were all very warm, welcoming, and helpful! They tried to learn our names as quickly as they could, kept up to date with how we were feeling, and if we needed anything they tried to accommodate us as best they could.

The classes were decently fast paced, but as long as I studied a bit after the class and before the assessments, I did fine.

We also got to ride a lot over the course of the program, and by the end of the four weeks everyone was able to do dressage tests and jumping over small jumps, so the lessons were really quite thorough!

I loved the extra trips we made, especially the trips to Loch Lomond and Perth Races.
There were also plenty of hiking places around the college with amazing views, provided you were willing to climb for them.

-Make sure to have adequate communication between Adelante and Oatridge, I did not receive accurate information from Adelante and so when I arrived at Oatridge there were several things that were different.
Other than that, the program was pretty perfect!

Darby
Atlanta

Equine Summer 2016

This trip has been fantastic! Between the hands-on class work and the riding classes, this has really been a once in a lifetime experience. It's the perfect amount of time, not too short that you don't get to learn anything about the country and not too long that you get home sick.
The teachers here were fantastic, friendly and very knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend this program to any equine science student looking for a study abroad program.

I would definitely have liked to have seen more of Scotland. More scheduled group outings around the country would have helped.

Jillian
San Diego, California

Equine Summer Abroad

This program was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed getting to ride and the instructors were so nice and motivating. All of the horses were awesome, well trained and very well taken care of. We got to go to the local Walmart 1-2 times a week to buy anything we needed. I bought a lot of food items to make my own breakfast and sometimes dinner. There is a fully equipped kitchen with everything you need. Meeting the Scottish students living there and studying at oatridge was a great experience. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. I felt at home from the very beginning. I would recommend this program to any equine student looking for a great month of new experiences, learning from a different culture and wanting to have fun.

More organized trips to get to see more of Scotland (castles, highlands, lochs, etc.). Getting to anywhere but Edinburgh is difficult. Have students communicate before program to see where everyone would like to go/see.

Bina
Winter Park, Colorado

Sabina's Review

The most unique experience at Oatridge college are the riding classes that take place where the Scottish Equestrian Team rides. I really appreciate all the instructors advice and time. Louise, Sam, and Jillian were extremely helpful to accommodate our stay and make us feel at home. Overall, it was an amazing experience. I wish I had an extra week to visit the Scottish highlands. Edinburgh is about 30 minutes away making it simple enough to take a train or taxi. Additionally, once a week the group was taken to ASDA "Walmart" and you could purchase anything. My only issue was the food options ere limited because there was a lot of carbohydrates and not many vegetables.

More activities planned.

Alexa
Lebanon PA
Clemson University

Versatile experience

This program was a great way to incorporate a love of horses and getting the chance to work with them one on one and the ability to travel and get a real taste for Scotland. I met some really wonderful people that I know I'll remember forever. The experience I got working one on one with horses gave me the chance to hone my skills as a rider and observe the similarities and differences between European and American riding. I would really recommend this program to anyone who likes horses

Better food/more choices

Samantha
Des Moines, Iowa

Equine Summer in Scotland

This program has been great. I am returning home with lots of memories and stories to tell. I love how hands on the program is. Compared to the classes I take in the States, this is much more hands on. My favorite part of the trip (non academic) was when a small group of us went into Edinburgh and climbed Arthur's Seat. This was a great bonding experience for all involved. The program has also had many opportunities. Visiting the various horse racing facilities was a fun adventure through the countryside.

I would like to be more involved with the local students. Maybe taking a class with them would really give a test of the different culture.

Callan
Conway, Arkansas

Summer 2016

I have really enjoyed this program. I was worried about taking 3 hour classes, but we were only in a classroom for the full time maybe once. We often went down to the yard to practice naming structures on the horses or practice equine massage. For fitness we also got hand on experience by getting to go see trainers yards, and it was interesting to see how everyone did things a little differently.
The area is also really nice. There are several public paths around the area that you can explore, and the closest town is just a short walk away. You can also be in Edinburgh with a short taxi and train ride. From Edinburgh you can either stay in the city or find ways to go all over the UK or even Europe. You get to stay in a quiet rural area while still being close to a big accessible city.

The staff are also all great. They have all been very kind and accommodating. If you ever had a problem or worry, they were there to help and sort things out for you.

I think if the program was longer we would be able to improve our riding skills more, especially those of us who have little experience going into the program. Maybe having more optional excursions throughout Scotland included in the program would be nice just because some places are hard to get to on your own.

Emma
Glendora, CA, USA
Montana State- Bozeman

Summer 2016

This program is absolutely wonderful and I would recommend it to everyone. It was such a grand experience to study what I love in a beautiful foreign country. Yes, there are parts of the program that still need some improvement, but they are definitely working on it! I have taken anatomy a few times before this summer, so it was more of a review in that sense, but the fitness program was all new to me and I loved it! This anatomy class would be a great intro to a more in-depth equine anatomy class back in the States. Riding is wonderful and it is fun to be able to ride so many different horses. They do take it slow though, especially for those that have never ridden English before. So don't be afraid to ask to be on this horse, or work on something else the next time. I would also recommend bringing your own helmet. I didn't and have found that I really would have liked mine. However, it is inconvenient to take one on the plane and can be bulky.

The staff and professors are very friendly and willing to do anything to make your stay the absolute best it can be! There were a few minor housing problems, but they were fixed the minute we brought it up to the staff. The rooms are very nice, especially since you have your own bedroom and bathroom with a shared common room.

The campus, although small, has many trails and roads to explore. When you have a free evening (and you'll have many of those), trek your way up to Binny Craig and bask in the most beautiful view you'll get around campus.

For traveling on weekends, I would definitely recommend bringing some extra money for cab rides and the train. The train to Edinburgh is only 20 short minutes and pretty cheap roundtrip. Just remember that you need to get a cab to the station and back! It really isn't as much of a cost as some say it is, especially if you have 4 people in one cab. Also look into bus tours out of Edinburgh. Although they can be a bit much, if you find the perfect one, it is definitely worth it!

I would also recommend bringing your own computer. They have a few computer labs, but they close around 6pm, sometimes earlier. It is just a convenience to have your own to be able to look things up and type up your assignments. But you really don't need many school supplies other than a folder and some pencils/pens.

Honestly, this was the best experience I could have done abroad. Scotland is beautiful and you still get to immerse yourself in a completely different culture! I would definitely recommend this program, especially if you are passionate about horses and looking to have a fun time while still learning.

Communication between the staff and students is still a little fuzzy, but nothing too worrying. Sometimes one student would hear one meeting time, and another would hear a different meeting time. But it all worked out in the end!

I really think this program should be 6-weeks. This would give the professors more time to teach the material and would allow for more improvement when it comes to riding. It would also give the students more time to explore Scotland on the weekends. Other than that, it's a well-done program and very enjoyable.

Adam
Lexington

Equine Summer in Scotland

I really loved the riding aspect of the program and getting to know the horses in the yard. The instructors were very helpful and really wanted students to succeed. Students have to make an effort to get off campus and find things to do around the area, but when you do, there are many fun things to experience. I learned so much about equine anatomy and fitness, and I am so happy that I decided to participate in this program. Great program overall!

More organized opportunities to get off campus and experience Scotland.

Rebecca
Scotland
Missouri State University

Scotland Equine 2015

I absolutely loved this program! The equine classes were very interesting and informational. The fitness class was a lot of busy work (I would recommend a computer for access to typing). The instructors were very helpful anytime you needed them. Riding class was a blast and you get to ride different horses to help you develop as a rider. Both the instructors were positive and very smart. As for the culture, you definitely become more diverse. Aside from the Scottish students We got to met some French exchange students and students from England visiting for the Highland Show. Weekends were usually busy but well worth it!

I would make sure that the rules are more clear. There were no major issues but there was some confusion on some things but were resolved no problem.

Candace
North Royalton, Ohio
University of Findlay

The Scottish Ride

Though I have only been here for a week and a half I have had great time. There is some scheduling problems and lack of communication but overall everything has worked out for the best. I came here with no English ridding experience and the instructors are very helpful and great instructors. The classes are interesting and have several activities that allowed me to review material I already learned and to retain it better. Exploring the surrounding area has been a blast and I have learned so much about the culture and see some spectacular sights. I am extremely excited for what the program has planned for us and what other adventures we might embark on.

Caroline
Ecclesmachan, Scotland

Scottish Adventure

This program allows you to adventure around Scotland and learn about anatomy and physiology as well as learning how to come up with a fitness program for an extremely fit horse. You get the chance to adventure around different parts of Scotland and you can very easily get into Edinburgh if you want a night out.

The wifi is not the best all the time, but you are able to do what you need to do. Honestly, any problems that you had allowed you to work it out with some of the other people on the trip and I think that brought us closer together.

Sydney
Springfield, Missouri
Missouri State University

Equine Studies in Scotland

I cannot say enough good things about my experience in Scotland. Every aspect of the trip was very pleasant, from the classes on campus to the touring of the country. We got the perfect blend of education and riding, as well as sightseeing and experiencing the culture of Scotland.
Oatridge Campus is a very beautiful place to spend time at. Plants and flowers everywhere, trails to hike, animals to see. The staff are unlike any other. They are always smiling, asking how you're doing and if everything is okay. The moment you need something, they're ready to help. I've never met a group of such genuinely kind and caring people as those who work on Oatridge's campus.

Christina
Toledo Ohio
Lourdes College

Review headline

Trip has been fun. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the horses. Anatomy was my favorite course taken. Scotland is absolutely beautiful. Our advisor Jackie was great. However communication was terrible.

Communicate better with students. It was also difficult getting taxis to come to campus for us.

Dallas
Brunswick, GA
University of Georgia

Summer in Scotland

This is a once in a life time trip that I will never forget! Seeing this beautiful country and being able to do so many different excursions and activities is amazing. I gained an enormous amount of knowledge through hands-on experience with horses. The classes were challenging but not impossible. The staff is also very friendly and welcoming.

More communication between the staff and students. Most of the time we were confused about what was going on.

Hayley
Dallas, Texas

Study Abroad in Scotland

Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Scotland. The country is absolutely gorgeous and being able to ride horses in this country is amazing. The classes are not too difficult, but they are still very interesting for someone who is interested in Equine. You get a lot of freedom on this trip to do what you want, you're able to travel to Edinburgh or wherever you want. They give you a lot of free time to do what you want. This trip has been well worth it.

Communication between the advisors and students could be improved so we know what we are doing. Also, availability of cabs that come to the school would be needed.

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure to provide a travel program that's right for you!