Internships in Madrid - Adelante Abroad

Palacio Real
Palacio Real
Outside of my apartment.
Retiro Monument

Madrid is the most developed international program in Adelante's arsenal of programs with over 250+ participating companies. Who stands to gain the most out of that? YOU.

Take advantage of a program that provides a solid work, cultural, & life experience. A wide array of internship fields are offered to meet your needs and accelerate your professional development. In addition, you'll receive two weeks of intensive Spanish language classes included in our program to help sharpen your language skills and prepare you for your internship!

If you can't find your field below, do not fret! Visit Adelante's site for a complete list of internship fields. We can seek out new companies and create a customized program for you.

Take advantage of this unique opportunity and set your sights on interning in Madrid!

• Flexibility: Our programs start the 1st Monday of every month with year round start dates. Choose to intern anywhere from 1-6 months.
  • Centralized Housing: You'll have your own private room in a shared apartment close to shopping, public transportation, and nightlife.
  • Tailored Internship: Gain solid international career experience by interning in a locally owned Spanish company or an international corporation with offices in Madrid's cultural and economic hub!
  • Local Staff: Our programs are meant for the independent traveler and are not group-focused. Our on-site staff in Madrid and the US are available throughout your program, and you can truly immerse yourself in the culture however you wish.
  • Economical Pricing: We are budget friendly! Do your research; nearly all other programs are at least DOUBLE the price. Not to mention, housing is included in our program price. You'll have your own private room in a shared apartment.

Alicja

An honest review of the pros and cons of interning with Adelante

I spent 2 months in Madrid working in a LGBT public health office. My experience living in this beautiful city was phenomenal being that I was immersed in Spanish culture. The nightlife is amazing, as you'd imagine, and I made great friends both inside and outside the program. We loved visiting other Spanish cities as well as Portugal whenever we got the chance. I really enjoyed my time at the Spanish school as everyone was extremely supportive and I learned a lot in a short period of time. All my coworkers were also lovely and helped me improve my Spanish skills throughout my time there. I do feel that it is important to mention though that you should take the Spanish language skill required by adelante seriously. Some internships do require a higher level of speaking and if you are dishonest with adelante about your ability there isn't much they can do to help if your boss becomes dissatisfied. Additionally, I will say that my expectations were not fully met on the adelante side. My original desire was to work in a hospital or clinic and although the backup plan of public health was established over the phone and I agreed to it, I got the sense that the Plan B discussed became the default for myself and the other interns I spoke to. I believe I only met 2 interns that were fully satisfied with their work placement and received their Plan A. However, in this situation I believe you get what you pay for being that adelante is securing an internship for you even if its not ideal. To me and many of the others this didn't end up being a big issue as we grew to like our placements, but if youre passionate about working in one specific area to really build your resume, adelante may not be the right fit.
Conclusion: Adelante provided me with the opportunity to live and work in Madrid which was most definitely one of the best experiences of my life. I feel as if the internship placement could have been better, but being the most affordable program I found, I'm far from dissatisfied.

Nick

Had an amazing time in Madrid, thanks to Adelante!

I shadowed a doctor in Madrid for around four months, and it was the most amazing time of my life. Adelante made the setup process extremely easy, and it was very affordable as well. They were very flexible and accommodating in setting up the perfect internship for me. My doctor was also amazing, and I learned much about respiratory and cardiovascular health while there. I also got a unique look into Medicine in a different culture than my own. The first two weeks of Spanish classes that Adelante provides was very helpful in getting me started. Overall a great experience thanks to Adelante, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a different experience than just taking classes abroad.

The people at Adelante regularly check in to make sure you are enjoying the program and are safe. They are there for whenever you need them and truly provide a great abroad experience.

I loved the program, but maybe a little more clarity about the various internship options that are available to you, instead of just being set up with one. Turned out great for me though!
Mattia

Internship in Madrid

The main reason why my experience was unique is due to the type of company I worked for and activities that I was able to perform. When I discovered that my university program required me to work for a full school year in a foreign country I was worried that I would have had to take part in one of those classic, mundane and monotonous 9-5 jobs which involved performing tasks while sat at a desk in front of a computer screen. This is basically the equivalent of suicide to someone like me who loves living his life outdoors performing sporting activities. Thanks to Adelante's program, however, I was able to find a football club in Madrid that allowed me to actively participate in their training sessions, as well as help out coaches in as many ways as possible during the sessions. My university accepted the program and I was able to spend these 7 months here about as well as I could have ever hoped for.

What was your funniest moment?
Coaches' reactions to players performing exercises incorrectly. No doubt. Hilarious.
jonathan
No, I don't recommend this program

scam that takes advantage of young adults

arrived in Madrid with a "guaranteed" internship in an Alzheimers lab for psychology. after two weeks in the Spanish school was told my level wasn't high enough as the internship was something that required near perfect fluency. no alternatives were then offered and three months of my life were wasted if not for me strengthening my Spanish further, had I gone just through their school which was amazing and actual responsible for everything that Adelante claims to actually do I would have paid only half of the cost. still waiting for my refund which the program seems to be mute on ... I guess sign contracts don't mean much to some companies... avoid at all costs unless you want some basic internship that provides you with no actual experience

program should be shut down as it only has a short list of companies to work with and it seems to be common practice to oversell internships to students then not deliver upon arrival as this happened to another American who arrived during my last month.
Response from Adelante Abroad

Jonathan, thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts however you are forgetting so many things! The most important one is of course, that you cheated on the language level test to get accepted into the program in the first place. Our Intern Abroad program requirements are pretty clear, published in many places for a reason, and a low intermediate level of Spanish is one of them. When a person applies, a free online language test is part of the initial application process. Accepted candidates do not have to be anywhere near fluent or advanced, but must have enough Spanish – a low intermediate level - to be able to understand a directive in the workplace and reply back in short sentences. The test results you sent us showed a solid B1, low intermediate, Spanish language level, therefore you were accepted into the program. Upon arrival in Madrid, however, you were unable to qualify for the BEGINNER level of the two weeks of Spanish classes included in all programs!
Then, on your first day at your contracted internship, in Spain, you were unable to understand a simple question and worse, replied back to your Spanish supervisor in English. Of course, they terminated your internship at that point, however they did offer to re-assess after a few more weeks of Spanish classes. This was a huge favor. They had your placement ready and waiting for you, projects lined up, a Supervisor scheduled to be in charge of you. And all that had to be cancelled. This is a successful, national corporation working in the Psychology arena, specifically with Alzheimer’s and other memory related illnesses. They were ready and waiting for you. It is logical that they terminated: you are in Spain, interning in a Spanish owned or run corporation and, again, while you do not need to be fluent, you do need, of course, to be able to understand and to be understood. Hence our stated language level requirement.
Our refund policy is also very clear and published in many places. We have reminded you, upon your request for a refund, that we provided all services paid for, and as contracted and in a timely manner. It certainly isn’t Adelante Abroad’s fault that you presented in all required documentation that you were an intermediate speaker, when you were actually pre-beginner upon arrival.
We stand by our very successful Intern Abroad programs, in operation since 1999, with literally hundreds of public reviews, the overwhelming majority of which are from candidates outlining strong and positive experiences overseas.

Hello I'm Stephanie!
Stephanie

Great Learning Experience!

I really enjoyed my experience with Adelante in Madrid. I was really nervous going into the two week Spanish course, but the teachers were all wonderful. My level of Spanish significantly improved in the duration of my course. By the end of the course, I felt comfortable speaking in Spanish around town. I was also really glad I could participate in the activities around the city through the school.
My internship was in Accounting with Hugo Boss. I learned so much during the internship and gained the experience in the industry which helped me land the job I have today.
I made lots of friends in the process who I still keep in touch with. My roommates and I traveled around Spain together, which are memories I will never forget!
Overall, I had a great experience and I highly recommend Adelante. They took care of all the details of my personalized program. I loved that they sorted my accommodation, Spanish lessons, and internship as one package. Communication was great leading up to my departure and throughout the duration of my program.

Jessica Castronovo
Jessica

Don´t want to leave!

LOVE this program! I was in Madrid for International Marketing and gained SO much experience, more than I ever could doing an internship back in the states. I got to learn hands on experience and just learn things that I was never taught in classes that has boosted my resume immensly in helping me get a job later on. The company that I worked for was so nice that I am now great friends with all the girls. Not only did I learn great work experience, I got to travel so much! After I graduated I tried to find a job and was not satisfied so looked to Adelante Abroad. I figured why not boost my resume AND travel. You have the rest of your life to work 9-5 everyday, when is the next time I get to travel for 6 months? If anyone is looking for a LEGIT (yes, I was scared at first this could be a scam) program- this is it! Everyone is so helpful and just care about your experience!

Everything about this program was amazing. The only thing would be maybe housing, certain things needed a bit more maintence. Also once I was done with the language classes and I wish they would still inform me of any trip they have planned such as museum visits, day trips, etc.
Amanda

Amazing Internship Experience!

When I first decided that I wanted to do an internship abroad, I was skeptical about the programs. I was very hesitant to join Adelante, but it ended up being such an amazing experience! I interned in Madrid for three months in the summer doing Digital Marketing. The Spanish classes at the beginning of the course were so helpful, and the internship itself was great experience. I met so many amazing people during my time in Madrid, and many of us were able to use our weekends to travel around together. I highly recommend this program. If you are having doubts, I completely understand, but I have 0 regrets about doing my internship with Adelante. My boss was great, and the program coordinators were always helpful. My housing was also in an amazing location - I could not have asked for better! It was truly one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had - for both interning and traveling!

The housing was really great, and I could not have asked for a better location. The apartment could have used some more maintenance, but overall my housing experience was still great!
Amanda

AMAZING Experience

When I first decided that I wanted to do an internship abroad, I was skeptical about the programs. I was very hesitant to join Adelante, but it ended up being such an amazing experience! I interned in Madrid for three months in the summer doing Digital Marketing. The Spanish classes at the beginning of the course were so helpful, and the internship itself was great experience. I met so many amazing people during my time in Madrid, and many of us were able to use our weekends to travel around together. I highly recommend this program. If you are having doubts, I completely understand, but I have 0 regrets about doing my internship with Adelante. My boss was great, and the program coordinators were always helpful. My housing was also in an amazing location - I could not have asked for better! Madrid is absolutely beautiful, and it is definitely a place I will want to return to in the future. This internship was truly one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had - for both interning and traveling!

Tyler

Madrid, Spain

I was in Madrid from mid-May until the end of July doing the Event Planning Internship. I didn't know quite what to expect from Madrid and the program but I had an AMAZING time, better than expected. To begin with, I couldn't imagine meeting such awesome people and I was fortunate enough to meet friends I would consider life-long friends. The program is small enough that you have the great opportunity to meet and become close with people you would not have ever expected to meet from all of the world! Adelante places you in the heart of Madrid which was also a wonderful experience to be surrounded by such liveliness, there was so many things to do at all hours of the day/night. The internship was a cool experience! it was interesting to see how work is done in Spain and expand my skills abroad. It helped me figure out what I want to do as a career back in the states. The program was a great amount of freedom but also they check up on you and Angel, the intern advisory for Adelante was so kind and helpful! I highly recommend this program! Best of the best!

Quentin

Internship opportunites for all types of travelers

I spent my summer in Madrid doing a pharmacy internship and it was one of the best experiences of my life. This was my first time traveling outside of the United States and I have never felt more comfortable. The first week was a little rough trying to adjust to the new culture and way of life here in Madrid, but with the 2 week class that they enroll you in and also the apartment that you live in, there are so many opportunities to meet new people. I was fortunate enough to make so many great friends while I was here and if it wasn't for this program I may have not met anybody new for a little while. The 2 week class in the beginning is so laid back, however, you learn so much and it definitely helps knowing that the professors know your situation so they talk a lot about cool places to visit and things to do while you are in Madrid.
The program also allows you to be independent and gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. Having the freedom to buy my own groceries and not having to worry about a curfew or stuff like that definitely made it feel like I was living on my own. The program advisors are here at your disposal,so if you have a problem you are not completely alone.
Overall I would rate this program as one of the best. It helps facilitate relationships and gives you the freedom to be on your own, while also having somebody a phone call away to help whenever you need it.

I have no complaints.
Marylyn

Journalism Internship in Madrid

I did a two month journalism internship through Adelante with an English language magazine in Madrid called Guidepost Magazine. Overall, my experience with Adelante and my internship was excellent. The housing provided was great and the logistics such as airport pickup went smoothly. An internship with Adelante is great for someone who does not need someone checking in on them constantly. While I always knew the Adelante staff were available to help me with any problems, I had very minimal contact with them and felt very independent during my stay. Also, the two weeks of language classes that were included were incredibly helpful. As someone who went into the internship with a high level of Spanish, I was skeptical at first about the required two weeks of classes. However, the staff at the language school are great and they have classes for all levels. All classes are 100% in Spanish, and there are other international students there who are learning Spanish as well so it's a great environment to feel comfortable practicing your language skills. As far as my actual internship is concerned, I did not completely get what I wanted out of it, but it was still a great experience. My goal for this program was to be put in an internship where I would be in a Spanish-speaking environment every day, but it was more of a freelance journalism type of job. I had to go around the city and attend events, but didn't necessarily have the constant language emersion that I wanted. Nonetheless, it was not that big of a deal for me because I already went into the internship knowing how to speak Spanish, and I was able to have several articles published in English that will look great on a resume. However, I would not recommend my specific internship for someone who really needed to learn Spanish. I do not blame Adelante for any of this though, as I think they did in a way give me what I asked for. All in all, I think Adelante is a great and affordable program for independent students looking for valuable work experiences!

Beatriz

Architecture Internship in Madrid

I had a great time during my 5-month internship in Madrid. The Adelante team placed me at a top firm in Madrid that was a perfect fit for what I had asked. I grew a lot as a professional, met some really amazing people and saw some incredible places in Spain and Europe. My international experience helped my resumé stand out to prospective employers and I landed my first post-graduation job as soon as I got back home. Thanks to the Adelante team for their amazing service and I would definitely recommend this program to anyone!

The apartment has an amazing location in Puerta del Sol but it could use some updates. Other than that the program and the service was amazing!
Islay

Madrid internship

Interning in Madrid was one of the most exciting and enriching experiences of my life. I learnt so much during my internship and met incredible people along the way. It helped me figure out that this is exactly what I want to do as a career. The Adelante staff could not have been more supportive, we had our every need met. The language school here was also amazing and most definitely helped me improve my Spanish in the two weeks. The other interns I was living with were all wonderful people and I have definitely made friends for life. I could not recommend this more!

Maria

Madrid, Spain

Stayed in Madrid for a social work internship and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The program sets you up with a great fit for your career choice, and they were very helpful with answering any questions before & after the program! Everyone should do this experience, especially since it's one of the cheapest & best programs to go abroad! Met a lot of amazing people and got the chance to travel around Europe, 10/10 recommend!

-Maria C.

Have no complains!
Daniel

Sports Internship in Madrid

First off, I’m glad I made this decision; the decision to move to Madrid, expand my knowledge of their cultural lifestyle, building bonds with the locals and the other Adelante members, interning and working with great people, and overall living out a life changing experience, Adelante made all of this possible and I can’t thank them enough. Adelante does a great job of making this transition a very smooth one. They constantly check up to see how everything is and update you on local events that may occur. I have no legitimate complaint about living in Madrid. The food is amazing, the locals are friendly, and everything is extremely accessible andconvinient. My internship consisted of training kids aged between 10-15 for basketball development while also assisting different coaches. Within that first week the whole staff made me feel as a part of the team. I highly recommend Adelante 100%, and I ask that anyone hesitating to go with this program to just go ahead and do it. I promise you will not regret it.