Internships in Madrid - Adelante Abroad

Internships in Madrid - Adelante Abroad

Start 2018 With an Internship Abroad
Spend 2-6 months in Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Spain, or Uruguay. Internships are year round and include customized placements (with over 20 sectors to choose from), FREE housing (in your own room), and Spanish language courses. Apply by January 1st to start as early as March 5th.

Madrid is the most developed international program in Adelante's arsenal of programs with over 250+ participating companies. Who stands to gain the most out of that? YOU.

Take advantage of a program that provides a solid work, cultural, & life experience. A wide array of internship fields are offered to meet your needs and accelerate your professional development. In addition, you'll receive two weeks of intensive Spanish language classes included in our program to help sharpen your language skills and prepare you for your internship!

If you can't find your field below, do not fret! Visit Adelante's site for a complete list of internship fields. We can seek out new companies and create a customized program for you.

Take advantage of this unique opportunity and set your sights on interning in Madrid!

For a full list of internship placements in Madrid, click on "Visit Site" or if you're ready to fill out an application, click on "Get Started" above. Adelante's support team is excited to hear from you!
  • Flexibility: Our programs start the 1st Monday of every month with year round start dates. Choose to intern anywhere from 1-6 months.
  • Centralized Housing: You'll have your own private room in a shared apartment close to shopping, public transportation, and nightlife.
  • Tailored Internship: Gain solid international career experience by interning in a locally owned Spanish company or an international corporation with offices in Madrid's cultural and economic hub!
  • Local Staff: Our programs are meant for the independent traveler and are not group-focused. Our on-site staff in Madrid and the US are available throughout your program, and you can truly immerse yourself in the culture however you wish.
  • Economical Pricing: We are budget friendly! Do your research; nearly all other programs are at least DOUBLE the price. Not to mention, housing is included in our program price. You'll have your own private room in a shared apartment.
Europe » Spain » Madrid
Phone / Skype Interview
Weekly Hours
Weeks Min.
Application Fee
This Adelante program includes a volunteer or internship placement in your sector of interest, airport pick up, housing in a private room in a shared apartment, 2 weeks of intensive Spanish classes, and 24/7 access to your local Program Director.

Daniel
Miami, FL
Florida International University

Sports Internship in Madrid

First off, I’m glad I made this decision; the decision to move to Madrid, expand my knowledge of their cultural lifestyle, building bonds with the locals and the other Adelante members, interning and working with great people, and overall living out a life changing experience, Adelante made all of this possible and I can’t thank them enough. Adelante does a great job of making this transition a very smooth one. They constantly check up to see how everything is and update you on local events that may occur. I have no legitimate complaint about living in Madrid. The food is amazing, the locals are friendly, and everything is extremely accessible andconvinient. My internship consisted of training kids aged between 10-15 for basketball development while also assisting different coaches. Within that first week the whole staff made me feel as a part of the team. I highly recommend Adelante 100%, and I ask that anyone hesitating to go with this program to just go ahead and do it. I promise you will not regret it.

Davis

Madrid Summer 2017

I chose to enroll in this program because I knew the value of having international experience in a field (law) I that I plan to enter all while improving my Spanish skills. Personally speaking, Madrid was the ideal place to pursue an internship because I had already traveled there before with my family and I was confident enough in my Spanish speaking abilities to work in a zero English environment. I hit the jackpot with my job placement and boss as he was one of the most friendly and hospitable people I've ever met. We never seemed to have issues communicating with one another and I can say that I learned a good deal from my internship that will certainly help me down the road.

What would have been an otherwise perfect 10/10 experience was unfortunately marred by one seemingly avoidable problem within the apartment. Before I explain, let me say that the apartment definitely had its pros, i.e. close proximity to the language school, centrally located near the Puerta del Sol, good size, clean bathroom and kitchen, etc. Now with all of that being said, a lack of one simple thing was never disclosed before agreeing to do this program: air conditioning.

Before you rush to judgement and think why I could not just simply accept things for what they were and deal with the heat, let me tell you that for my entire life I have lived in South Louisiana, a place where 100% humidity exists year round along with temperatures that typically stay in the 90's practically every season except winter. The stereotypes you hear are true: the vast majority is an uninhabitable swamp.

Let me be honest, Madrid in the summer is undeniably hot, and I was well aware of this coming in. In addition, A/C is not super common in Spain unlike the US. After a few nights trying to get a good night's sleep in what quite literally felt like someone's attic, I quickly realized that the one basic fan provided to me in my room simply was not going to cut it for my two month stay. I then began to start asking around on how to turn on the A/C units found in every room plugged into an outlet. First, I asked my apartment supervisor about it only to be told that they don't work and he revealed to me that Madrid is very hot in the summer. Okay, got it. My plan B was to email the Adelante supervisors, who I must say are extremely friendly and helpful people and do everything they can from a desk in California and for that, I do not mean this as a knock against them. It was then that they regretfully informed me that the A/C in the apartment never works but that was a good tradeoff for living in the middle of town. Had I known that this would be the case going in, I would have elected to live on the outskirts of town and with reliable A/C rather than where I was, without question.

One other tiny thing that was neglected was a sort of transportation back to the airport on the day that I left Madrid. I found this surprising due to that fact that Adelante does provide a pickup from the airport upon arrival, which was super convenient, yet I was told that I needed to figure out how to commute to the airport for myself on short notice.

Like I said, my experience with this program was overall a very positive one. I consider myself lucky to have had both a great boss and internship itself. I'm extremely grateful for those things and achieved my ultimate goal in the process of improving my Spanish. I realize that what this company does is not exactly easy and hiccups are bound to happen from time to time. I just wish the company would have been a little more up front about things like these before I pulled the trigger on this because quite honestly, a good night's sleep became a coveted luxury during my time there.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Davis, thanks for the great review. Your supervisor at the Law firm where you did your internship in Madrid wrote a very solid and glowing evaluation of your time with him also, so good job! About the heat: this summer was the hottest on record in Madrid since they have been recording weather. It was crazy. We do advise in the Pre-Departure Orientation materials that A/C is pretty rare in downtown Madrid, where our housing is. We also advise that airport pickup is included, and airport drop off at the end of the program is not. I know it is a lot of reading but this information is definitely included in there.
We offered to change housing for you and two others who really struggled, like locals and visitors alike did, with the heat. We found another apartment, a bit farther out, but with A/C. No one moved! I think a combo of the temperatures lowering and the location made people stay put? Not sure, but when we heard from a few of you that it was unbearable we did secure another apartment. In hopes you use your Spanish every day now and thank you again for the 10/10 note in there (minus the heat!) Team Adelante

Gwen

Seize your summer!

I initially got in contact with Adelante because of a lack of graduate student internships offered in my Master's program. When I heard that they had so many different types of internships, specifically a dedicated translation internship (I'm currently getting my M.S. in translation) I decided I had to take the leap and just go for it.

I had really wanted to live abroad again but wanted to experience Europe this time and on my own terms (I studied in Buenos Aires, Argentina during undergrad). Madrid is an absolutely amazing city, I would 100% come back here. Adelante took care of all the housing and internship placement which was SO nice. My apartment was much bigger than the apartment I have back home and it was in the perfect location.

Although I was initially hesitant about why I had to attend Spanish classes at the language school I was really glad the 2 weeks were required. The teachers were all really nice and just tried to get us talking while teaching us in a very practical manner.

I know from experience how hard it can be to find reputable international internships, I get it. Honestly, I got so lucky that I found Adelante. They did all the planning, apartment-hunting, interviewing and arrangements for me so that I could focus on just enjoying my experience. The internship was great, I learned so much and now I have something truly impressive to put on my resume when I get home. If you want a truly unique summer experience and a rigorous internship, Adelante is for you.

I think that the program could be improved with weekly or bi-weekly language classes included in the program fee. I would have loved to have kept going to some of the classes just to get some conversation hours in but unfortunately it was too expensive. Being able to opt-in to these classes would have been great.

Brittany
Colorado State University

An Amazing Experience

Adelante Abroad was one of the best decisions I've ever made! I got amazing internship experience, improved my Spanish, and also made some great friends and connections abroad. Adelante provides support for you before and during your trip with anything you made need. I did a graphic design internship and was able to add a lot to my portfolio and work experience in general. There were also many opportunities to travel outside of working that really helped improve my experience. Spain is just amazing!

The only part of the experience I feel could be improved is the housing. Some of the other program apartments I saw were much nicer than ours, but ours had a lot of things that were broken like the air conditioner, oven, tv, etc. It could also overall be a little cleaner.

Maya
Washington DC
Duke University

Madrid, Jan and Feb

I had a great time in Madrid! I already speak Spanish so I was able to live with four girls (who were not on Adelante) from various countries and communicate entirely in Spanish (some of them didn't speak English at all). My internship shadowing Dr Enrique Rojas was wonderful and I learned so much about psychology and psychiatry. I sat in on most of Dr. Rojas' sessions, received lessons during free time, and even conducted a few one-on-one sessions with patients on my own. The social-life was also great, I fell in love with Madrid as a city and can't wait to go back as soon as possible!

As a side note (this is neither good nor bad): I wanted to be very independent on this program and I was able to be (especially because I was not housed in Adelante apartments). I lived abroad for almost half of my life growing up and have been to over 35 countries so I loved that, but I would caution others who might not feel as comfortable navigating a new city/language/culture to live in non-adelante housing because you receive a lot less support.

I can't think of any ways Adelante could be improved specifically. Perhaps providing more detailed info on what to do with keys etc when leaving the appartment, and an easier to navigate website.

nicholas
California
California State University- San Marcos

First time interning abroad.

I have to say that the internship set up was convenient and the application was easy enough to complete. The cost, in comparison to other abroad competitors, was quite affordable considering I was posted literally 400 feet from in the exact center of Madrid. I would do this again if there was another opportunity to do so. However, I immediately suggest that whoever is looking into this program to plan, at minimum, 6 months ahead to get all the requirements settled. After all, I ended up having more fun than expected. Every penny is worth it and the people I was with were nice enough to help me with anything I needed.

Longer program. Reduce costs in housing to compensate for tuition costs. Possibly change location to lower the cost of housing.

Brianna
Madrid

Great Experience

Loved this experience! Going abroad is something that is on everyone's bucket list, so why not learn something while you're at it? Adelante does a fantastic job providing a great experience abroad along with a great internship. The Spanish class that came with my program was a surprise but definitely my favorite part. The internship itself (medical) was great as well- very enlightening. The one suggestion I would give is to make sure to get a visa! Traveling in Europe is fairly affordable and with all the extra time you may have from work, it's worth it to get out and explore! I would do this program all over again!

Shayan

Definitely worth it!

I was very hesitant to do a program like this but I am so happy I did! From the beginning, the Adelante staff was nothing but helpful. I had over a million questions and I am pretty sure I emailed Jeramee about 5 times a day and she replied every single time. They keep you updated (and calm) while you're in the states and continuously check in while you're abroad. The staff in Madrid is awesome as well and will always help if you need anything. For the first two weeks you're in language classes for about 4 hours a day which may seem long but they are necessary. I was slightly annoyed because I thought I wouldn't need two weeks of Spanish classes considering I took Spanish for 3 years but I definitely needed them. The teachers are great and the classes improve your Spanish, I wish I could have taken them the entire time I was here. The only critique I have is the housing situation. For me, I was only there for 6 weeks so I sucked up and dealt with it but others have been here for months at a time and it's not really fair. The room wasn't entirely clean when I arrived and the bathroom was dirty and had a few bugs so a flat mate and I had to clean it. Also it says there's a maid but there isn't so don't expect new sheets or someone cleaning the floors, it's all you. But that has nothing to with program, it's the people running the school. However, the apartment is located in the heart of Sol so you're close to everything: food, shops, metro, school and entertainment. It's also pretty easy to make friends because most people are doing this program alone. I made friends that I know I'll have for a lifetime. And as for the best part of my experience: the internship. I would NEVER have been able to get an internship like the one I have here in America. I was able to get hands on experience, work with an amazing foundation and meet the kindest people. I know I'll still remain in contact with them in the future.

Overall, I highly recommend this program. The staff, the location, the experience, it's all worth it. I feel like I grew a lot as a person through this program and learned from talented professionals. The other nice thing about this intern abroad program is you're not working all day everyday so you have plenty of time to explore the city as well as other cities which I recommend as well. If you want to do something for yourself that will benefit your professional, academic and personal life, this is the program for you.

The housing, like I mentioned in the review, but even that's not too bad. I just think the people that run the school need to be more involved in it instead of brushing if off. It's not a bad living space, it's actually a good size.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Hola Shayan! Thank you, thank you for your positive overview and detailed review, your comments are so helpful. I wish we could have known from the get go about the misses by the cleaning service. During our regular check-in's with you, you didn't mention it so hearing about it now is a surprise and we are so sorry about that! And yes, our Director has several Adelante apartments in Madrid to oversee, with the cleaning service scheduled once a week - sheets too are cleaned every two weeks, is the norm. We will definitely make sure to triple check that apartment's service moving forward as well as ask our candidates to let us know, too. Good luck in all future endeavors and thank you again. Team Adelante

Christina
Saratoga, California

Beyond Enriching

I am so glad that I came across Adelante! To be honest, I was pretty ambitious when I decided to take a shot in doing an internship in Spain without hardly any prior Spanish knowledge (I taught myself for about a month before going to Spain), but I quickly picked up on the language and am now able to understand what people are saying 90% of the time. The 2-week classes at the Spanish school were unquestionably helpful and a wonderful experience overall. I have never taken a language class that consists of no more than 7 students, and where the instructors taught everything in Spanish.
As for my internship, I interned for a famous psychiatrist who has his own private clinic in Madrid, which was such an eye-opening experience for aspiring psychologists who intend to work in the clinical practice field. Not only was I able to observe what it was like to be a psychiatrist, I had the opportunity to directly interact with some of the patients (even without the presence of the doctor, but mainly only with those who speak English), and even attend special events such as lectures and the presentation of the doctor's newest book! I definitely recommend anyone out there who is thinking about going into the field of clinical psychology to try to get this intern position. (Note: be prepared to wait around because sometimes the patient just wants to be alone with the doctor). Also, this internship will definitely improve your Spanish because you're listening to Spanish all day!
Overall, the price I paid for this program is so worth what I was given. Not only was my intern position a great one, the living situation (GREAT location, big and well-furnished apartment) and support from the Adelante staff exceeded my expectations. Although I have a month and a half left, I am sad to even think that my internship will be ending soon. The past 2.5 months flew by!

Aaliyah
fontana
California State University- Long Beach

Independence

I never truly felt completely independent until this experience. My internship placement did not have much work for me so I created a lot of work for myself so that I can grow within my future career. I also wanted to branch out from the people in my program and started to use a traveler's app to meet traveler from all over the world and it helped my branch out of my shy shell. Overall being abroad has made me fearless.

Rebecca
Chicago
Mercyhurst College

Madrid Experience

My internship was with a Physical Therapy clinic in Madrid and I absolutely loved the experience. It was much more hands on learning than I could do in the United States. I was able to apply techniques like massage therapy, ultrasound, and go to observe surgeries. The physical therapists I worked with were energetic with their patients and very helpful as they explained to me each of their techniques. They were patient and understanding with my intermediate level of Spanish. If I did not know what they were saying right away they would take the time to explain more to make sure I understood. One of my favorite memories at the clinic was when one of the physical therapists asked me if I could ask the other doctors for a cushion. I misheard the word for cushion in Spanish so I went around the office asking the doctors, “Donde esta el culo?” Once everyone was done laughing at me, I found out I went around the office asking doctors where is the butt. Needless to say I was pretty embarrassed, but everyone thought it was hilarious and it will definitely be a funny story I will remember forever. Overall, I loved my time here in Madrid and I thought the program was fantastic. I learned more Spanish by speaking it everyday with the people I worked with and gained valuable clinical experience in a different culture.

I wish there was more Spanish classes at the beginning or if we were able to continue taking Spanish classes along with having an internship.

Dylan
Greenville, PA
Mercyhurst College

Incredible Summer in Madrid

I interned in Madrid for the past two months through the Adelante Abroad program. Adelante essentially sets everything up for you prior to arrival including your internship placement and housing and then you are basically on your own. My girlfriend and I both took part in the Adelante program and were able to live together in an incredibly nice apartment set up by Adelante in a very nice neighborhood of Madrid. It was definitely a relief having an apartment with zero issues, making Madrid instantly feel like home.
The adelante program starts off with two weeks at the Eureka language school where you are completely immersed in Spanish, with zero english speaking allowed in the school. Having very little Spanish background prior to this summer I was definitely overwhelmed in the first 15 minutes at Eureka, but that went away by the end of the first day and I really enjoyed the school and lessons. I actually wish there was someway that the program could work in additional time at Eureka into the 8 week program rather than just the two weeks in the beginning, but I understand that would be difficult with the internship hours the last 6 weeks.

I have a fairly unique major in college, making it somewhat difficult to find an internship placement in Madrid, but Adelante placed me with Sotavento Consultores, a financial consulting firm doing market research analysis and I was very happy with my experience at Sotavento. I was basically independent on my own projects for the entirety of the six weeks interning at Sotavento, allowing me to take on as much as I wanted in terms of workload. The work place is certainly different in Spain than the United States, but Im very grateful to have had the opportunity to see how business is conducted in Spain and to give insight on business in the United States.

I did a significant amount of research before traveling to Spain and decided to purchase an Eurail pass for traveling on weekends and I am incredibly glad I did. I was able to spend two weekends in Barcelona, a weekend in Valencia, San Sebastian and Granada as well as a day in Segovia all without worrying about the cost of point to point train tickets. My time traveling on weekends was definitely one of the highlights of the trip, and I would recommend other Adelante candidates do the same as you will have plenty of time to explore Madrid during the week days after your internship and in the one or two weekends you spend here when not traveling. Spain is a beautiful country and each region looks and feels entirely different, definitely something worth experiencing.

While Madrid was not my favorite city I visited in Spain, I was very glad I chose to do the Adelante program here rather than another city for several reasons: 1)Spanish is much more common in Madrid than other cities. From my experience, it appeared that Madrid had much less English speakers which made learning and speaking Spanish much more important and necessary, something I definitely wanted from an abroad program. While in Barcelona I felt like I heard more English than Spanish or Catalan, definitely not the case in Madrid. 2) Madrid is centrally located in Spain. It was very convenient to be within a 5 hour train ride of every city I wanted to visit, making it possible to see as much of Spain as I did. 3) Madrid is the heart and hub of Spain. From a professional point of view, Madrid definitely had the feel of a big business city most similar to what a businessman is likely to encounter while leaving home for work in the U.S, giving me additional experience in how best to navigate big cities, which is infinitely different than what I grew up around.

The Adelante program is definitely not the typical summer abroad experience from what I read about from other programs online prior to choosing Adelante, but that is not a bad thing. The cost of Adelante was definitely cheaper than any other programs I came across, and this is probably due to the independence the program includes. You will feel as connected to Adelante or as independent in a foreign country as you choose. My girlfriend and I essentially had no contact with Adelante aside from the weekly or biweekly emails they send, and I was completely okay with that, while I understand others may want more of a structured program. If structure is what you are looking for than Adelante probably is´nt the right program, but if you want to get a real world experience in a foreign city where you can basically do what you want when you want to do it then I would recommend Adelante. I was a big fan of not having oversight while abroad as it forced me to figure everything out on my own. Adelante was definitely the best program for the best price for what I was hoping to get from a summer abroad, and without a doubt the most valuable experience I´ve had in my life. Having never been abroad aside from the Caribbean, I was very nervous to leave the U.S, but as im getting ready to leave Spain in another day I cannot wait to figure out where I will travel to next.

I would have loved if there was someway to work in additional language courses, even if it was just another hour a day or a couple hours a week once the internships started. As a beginner Spanish speaker coming into the program my internship was not exactly a great environment for learning Spanish as businessmen do not exactly have the time or patience to struggle through a conversation when they can just communicate in English much more quickly. I would also have Adelante Madrid coordinator, Antonio, send correspondences in English via email after meetings, as the conversations were very important sometimes, and you would have to rely on more advanced Spanish speakers to translate for you.

Kelsey
Boston, Massachusetts

Pharmacy Internship

I had an amazing 3 months interning in Madrid and would highly recommend doing an internship with Adelante. For the first 2 weeks, I was taking Spanish classes in the language school, Eureka. The grammar section was a great refresher of my previous Spanish knowledge, although I would have loved to have more time in Eureka to do a more comprehensive review. I really enjoyed the conversation class which helped me to become more comfortable conversing in Spanish before beginning my internship. I was housed in a 6-person apartment conveniently located down the street from Eureka and in the heart of the city. My roommates and I all got along great, and had awesome restaurants, shops, and nightlife right outside our door.

The internship that I was placed in was exactly what I had hoped for. I was working 4 hours a day in a small independent pharmacy. It was an amazing opportunity to learn about the differences in healthcare in Spain compared to the US. Although challenging at first, my coworkers were very encouraging of me practicing my Spanish, and it improved significantly throughout my internship. Everyone was very welcoming and willing to answer any questions I had about various medications, how the pharmacy functions, or Spain in general. Overall, I had a fantastic experience and Madrid and can't wait to come back.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Kelsey,

Thanks for the awesome review! It sounds like you had a fantastic experience in every aspect, we are so glad to hear that. Although there were minor challenges, you were able to work through them no problem. We hope you do end up in Madrid in the future, best of luck to you in your career!

- Adelante

Ian
Boston, Massachusetts

Translation Internship in Madrid

My internship in Madrid was exactly what I was looking for! My university has a co-op program where we work for a semester instead of taking classes. Unfortunately, as my school does not have a translation major, there were almost no translation co-ops available. Adelante Abroad was one of the only outside options that I saw that guaranteed that I would be actually translating for my co-op as opposed to teaching English. What's more, they quickly let me know that I could either work for a translation agency, or as a translator for a company. I quickly went from having no options to having an abundance of them! What's great about Adelante is that they are with you every step of the way. I never felt alone when applying for a visa, arranging flights, starting my internship, or at any other point during my time in Madrid.

I did a five month program working for a translation agency. It was exactly what I wanted: the opportunity to work in close proximity with other translators. As an added bonus there were always other interns working alongside me from different countries in Europe, meaning I got a lot of exposure to different languages. It was always great helping my new friends out with any questions about English as they translated into French, Italian, German, and of course, Spanish. The office environment was incredibly laid back and I absolutely loved it. Since my contract was for 20 hours a week, the agency let me have any extra hours I worked as vacation time. I worked so many extra hours I had time to go explore Germany, England, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, in addition to areas of Spain. They even let me finish my co-op a week early so I could show my mom and sister around my new home!

Having extensively studied Spanish both in school and abroad in Argentina, language was not much of an issue. Still, the two weeks at the Eureka school were great! It was a really helpful way to ensure that I was getting back in the swing of speaking Spanish every day. Being in the highest level class, the grammar was a little complex, and wasn't something that I ever really remember using. The conversation half class time was great however! The activities were fun, we got to meet a variety of different teachers and hear the different ways they talked, and all the teachers were really helpful with making sure we were learning. The best part for me was learning the differences between the Spanish in Spain and the Mexican/Argentine Spanish I had learned previously (things like they don't say "boletos" over there, etc). Of all the Spanish courses I've ever taken, Eureka was definitely the best, and I would recommend it to anybody, even if they weren't looking to do an internship with Adelante.

My housing was through a company that rents apartments to students, so I was with other (non-Adelante) students either studying or working in Madrid. I lived with students from Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, France, and India. None were native English speakers, but most spoke English decently (and wanted to practice), so we spoke a combination of Spanish and English. We all got along extremely well. The housing was a about a 30 minute metro ride from Sol, which was absolutely perfect for me- the neighborhood was quiet and close to my co-op. I walked to work every morning and back home afterwards, which was great exercise. The apartment was cleaned weekly and any problems were fixed fairly quickly. They even bought us new frying pans when we complained that our old ones were bent!

Adelante is absolutely perfect for getting you an internship in any field that you want, while also giving you the freedom to explore a new country or continent!

Some events for people in the Adelante program. The Eureka school and the company that did my housing both did events, which were a great way to meet a lot of people from different places, but I would've loved to meet other Adelante students! I was put in contact with another student at the beginning of my stay, but her program finished a couple weeks after that. There is a Facebook group, but it's not the most active. I think if Adelante put together a meet-up or something similar more people would get together, instead of having to plan something themselves.

Liann
Boston, USA and Kingston, Jamaica

The Experience of a Lifetime - Medical Internship

My internship program located in Madrid, Spain, through Adelante Abroad was absolutely phenomenal. I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to work in an orthopedics/trauma hospital called Clinica CEMTRO, alongside some of the top orthopedic surgeons in Europe. There, I was exposed to the ins and outs of life as a surgeon, as I spent my days shadowing doctors both in patient consultations and in the operating room. As a result, I often ended up working between 9-14 hours a day; instead, of only 4-5 as I had expected. I was able leave whenever I wanted, however, I wanted to make the most of my 3-month internship. It was also by working such long hours, that I was truly able to build better relationships with my colleagues and supervisors.

Prior to beginning my internship, I studied Spanish throughout high school and then for two weeks at the Eureka language school. Despite this however, I still had great difficulty communicating with the patients, nurses and doctors. As a result, this working environment truly challenged me to improve my Spanish language abilities. Now that I have completed my program, I can confidently say that I am able to read, write, and converse at a much more advanced level The knowledge that I gained in the past three months is incomparable to that which I gained after 6 years of studying the language in school.

During my time in Madrid, I lived in a quaint apartment located in the heart of city. Constantly surrounded by people, cultures and attractions, I was able to truly experience its vibrant nature. It is often said that New York is "The City That Never Sleeps", but anyone who says that, has clearly never gone to Madrid. Whether it was going for tapas and cerveza (beer), spending the day at one of the many museums, or dancing the night away at a nearby salsa club, there was never a dull moment.

Overall, this was a truly invaluable experience, and I can now say that I certainly want to become a doctor, and possibly a surgeon due to my internship experience. I would definitely encourage anyone seeking career exploration, an adventure, and personal growth to pursue an internship position through Adelante.

Lucas
New York, New York

an incredible experience

Adelante's program in Madrid is one of the finest internship-abroad experiences one could ask for. The program has situated itself with ideal living conditions, located directly in the heart of the city (basically in puerta del sol). Madrid itself is a city with tons of things to do, people to meet, and culture to be explored, so, for one, you will never be bored. I chose to intern in the international business sector, working for a company called IFEMA, organizing international professional fairs. Working in a spanish company was quite invaluable to my maturation as an adult as well as an employee. Your spanish and language skills improve immensely and you learn how to integrate in a foreign culture. On top of that, adelante's internship hour regulations allow you ample time to explore other activities and meet new people and travel within Europe. Its an incredibly individual experience and one that, i believe, is quite invaluable to any student looking for something more, something different.

Sasha
London, UK
University College London

Psychology/Psychiatry Internship

I stayed with Adelante for 2 months in Madrid, doing a placement with a local psychiatrist. I had a bit of an unusual situation therefore I have started my internship before finishing my language classes (which being honest wasn’t a smart move but there was no other option due to time constraints). Important to note, that I did study Spanish before but my level was far from fluent.
I will break review in three parts so it is easier to follow.

Internship
Internship itself was amazing! Exactly what I wanted and what I expected: to be exposed to a private clinical setting, covering a range of problems starting from family crises finishing with schizophrenia. The doctor himself and his crew were very supportive and friendly, which I think is quite important especially for a new person which doesn’t really know Spanish. During the month, my comprehension skills rocketed up as well as reading ones, doctor would ask you to read A LOT ( a piece of advice for someone doing the same placement is to read beforehand his books, it will greatly assist during your internship and in general in your future career).
During the session with a patient, Doctor will explain his/hers diagnosis, share his opinion regarding the matter and would let to ask any question. Also you would have an opportunity to be present and sometimes even interview yourself various patients, complete there profile and participate in a psychotherapy. Sometimes when Doctor wasn’t available, someone from other doctors will invite to the differential diagnosis of his/hers patients.
From the negative side, I can highlight only the fact that most of the time instead of finishing at 3 or 4, I would finish at 7 or 8 which in my opinion is a bit too much for an unpaid internship. However, I have been interning only for a month so I decided to make the most of it but someone else who would want to do this internship for longer might want to consider to clarify this. At work no one seemed to be bothered with timing at all, I was told “leave whenever you feel tired”. But at the end it looks like such attitude is common among Spanish people, they are very chilled (at least the ones I have met).
Other aspect is language, I should have definitely taken classes before because talking to the patients was tough, my Spanish was very rusty.
Also you have to be prepared that sometimes patients would not want to talk in front of you therefore you would have to wait sometimes for a good 2-3hours.

I lived near Puerta del Sol with Adelante and Eureka (language school)students. The location is amazing, it is literally the central centre, all the touristic attractions, shops and nightlife are hand away from you. My apartment was very spacious with 5 more people living in, this might sound like quite a lot but in fact everyone seemed to co-exist very well. Throughout 2 months no one had any problem with anyone, a very peaceful atmosphere.
The massive downside was, as stated below, an air conditioner and unbearable heat during summer. It was so hot, even inferno would look like a ski resort. When I complained about it to the landlord, I was immediately given a fan, despite being very quick to react, I personally think that at such possibility of overheating air conditioners should be installed. Ironically there were air conditioner units but they didn’t work at any room.
Therefore a piece of advice, do internship when it is not too hot and if you choose to do it in a summer, consider looking for an apartment with an air conditioner.

Language School
I have been to two language schools before in Madrid and I think genuinely speaking that it is not the best one. The director (also a landloard) is very helpful and sorts out problems instantly but if judging school I would give it a solid C, at least for the time I have spent (2 weeks).
I completely agree with a review below that Eureka would work best for long-term students or complete beginners, it is not intense enough for short-term users.

Conclusion
Amazing Internship, good housing (even despite dysfunctional air conditioner), not bad language school. I think you do get value for money here.

I think being more specific about internship details like working hours and direct responsibilities would help.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Thank you, thank you for your wonderful detailed review! Your work assignment Doctor / placement was very happy with you, too, as you know, even given the very short amount of time you interned there. It is good to hear about all that you learned in your field of studies: Psychology.
I'm so sorry about the heat in Madrid - it can be near unbearable, especially in the downtown district where the apartments, while historic buildings, are older and not often equipped with a/c. It is common to have problems with air units and the cost so prohibitive to repeatedly repair, that many of our owners simply give up and leave the unit as is and rely on fans. We know that the location is the very best, walking distance to literally everything - food, grocery store, gym, theatre, palace, multiple metro stops, shopping, hundreds of cafes and for this we sacrifice guaranteed a/c. We do advise in our materials that air conditioning is not at all common in Madrid nor is it guaranteed in our housing. Some summers are definitely hotter than others!

Amanda
California
University of California- Berkeley

Summer in Madrid

My experience with Adelante was very mixed, with some positive notes and some negative notes.

I chose to live in the Adelante housing. The location was right next to Puerta del Sol, a great central location with lots of restaurants, shopping, and good transportation links nearby. However, as I was there during the summer, and this summer was particularly hot even by Madrid standard, living without air conditioning was extremely difficult. At one point, I came down with heat exhaustion just from laying on the couch, because the apartment was that hot. To make matters worse, there was an air conditioning unit, but it didn’t work. I asked about it, Eureka, the owner of the apartment about it, and there was no possibility of getting it fixed, so I was left to be taunted by a broken air conditioning, showing that it was possible to have air conditioning there, but yet there was no AC. In short, the Adelante housing is great, as long as you aren’t there during the summer.

The first two weeks were spent at the Eureka language school. I could tell that Eureka is a great school, and I appreciated the organized excursions during the first two weeks of my program. However, the structure of Eureka does not work for students who are there for only two weeks. It is designed for students to study there for months at a time. When I signed up for a program that included intensive language classes, I expected an intensive review of Spanish. Instead, I was placed into a class covering material I learned in high school, with people who were learning the material for the first time. So when I needed 15-20 minutes review per topic, I was instead forced to spend 4 days on it, and covered very little material in the time I was there. On a positive note, being just down the street from Eureka, who served as the landlord for the apartment, made it convenient when I had a problem, such as when the wifi stopped down and I needed them to fix it.

The internship was not what I was hoping for. I am interested in international relations, and was hoping for an internship that would allow me to explore career options related to international relations. I was placed at an NGO that related to my interest in international relations in name only. I worked in their marketing department, which had very little work for me to do, and I also find marketing to be extremely boring and not enriching enough for my interests. I spent many days just scrolling through news site or reading a book, feeling like I was just warming a desk. On the days that I did have something to do, it was merely translating documents to English or making Photoshop projects, bearing little resemblance to the internship that I had hoped for. I found myself in a marketing internship, which was not what I wanted, and I was extremely bored for 4 hours a day for 6 weeks.

This is what the positive element of Adelante comes in: their support. At one point, my frustration with my internship placement led me to email Adelante to ask for advice about how to handle it, and they immediately intervened in the situation. They asked Antonio, the intern advisor, to talk to my boss about it to save me from the awkwardness of talking to her about it myself. When he was unable to reach her via phone, he actually came into the office to talk to her. When she acknowledged that they didn’t have much for me to do, he arranged 2 interviews for me at other companies. Neither of the companies I interviewed with felt like a good match, so I decided to stick with my original company. Although not much ended up improving with internship placement, I really appreciated the support Adelante gave me, and it was nice to know that they tried.

It’s easy to dwell on the negative aspects of the program, but generally I had a very positive experience in Spain, but much of the positive experience took place outside of my class or my internship. It was what I made of it. I knew I wanted to be left with a positive impression of Spain, so I made sure to make it positive, by making friends and spending my time doing the things that interested me, whether that was going to see a movie in Spanish or traveling on the weekend. My Spanish improved exponentially during the two months that I was there. Even though my internship wasn’t perfect, being placed into an environment in which I was the only non-Spaniard improved my Spanish in a way that it could have never been improved from taking a Spanish class. I grew a lot from this experience, growth that I never would have experienced if I had stayed in the US for the summer.

Improved internship placement-maybe during initial discussion with the companies Antonio could try to get more details about the intern's responsibilities, to make sure that the interns will actually have responsibilities.

Cassie
Santa Rosa, California

Spain is Amazing, Adelante didn't have much to do with that.

The overall entire 2 months is Spain was an incredible personal experience for me, I went out and made new friends and was very independent. I could have come to Spain and done this without Adelante, however, I thought I needed to rely on an outside organization, but it turns out the 2 things they provided: housing and school, I could have got on my own without paying them to help me sign up for it all, however them being the "middle man" did help out a lot and reduce a lot of stress I would have had doing it myself. I was looking forward to the excursions through the school but was disappointed to find out three of them were canceled because not enough people signed up. The housing was very very nice, a huge plus and conveniently located, but the school was disappointing. In the 2 weeks I was there, I learned a couple key main lessons and then was off. For ex, we spent a week learning the difference between Por and Para. I wanted a more general review of Spanish to help me boost my speech when I am out alone conversationally. This is a much better school if you are planning on attending from the beginning to end level. When I came, after taking a test, I was put in the middle of a spanish class and their grammar lesson, and was there for 2 weeks while they were on the por/para and other smaller grammar lessons, and then I was out. Didn't learn much at all.

Response from Adelante Abroad

We are quite confused and feel, to be clear and fair to GoOverseas readers, we must post parts of another Review you left minutes ago about this same program. The Review is quite long, (than you for taking the time to include a picture too) so we are posting the sentences that seem to be in direct conflict with what you write here, almost the exact opposite from one Review to another! :
"This was my first trip to Europe. Adelante made my job much easier traveling to Madrid ...setting up my housing, schooling for 2 weeks, and internship...One positive thing I was pleased with through Adelante was the housing. I lived in a great apartment located in an upper-middle class residential area. Adelante also did a good job of staying in touch with me via email and answering any questions I had through out the whole trip beginning to end. Angel (the in country staff and director of Eureka) ... was the guide for the 2 excursions I went on: El Prado Museo, and a bike ride around a large part of Madrid in which he knew his information and had a great attitude. I absolutely loved my time here in Madrid and am sad to be leaving. This is definitely an experience in which you need to be very independent."
Simply put, everything you paid for, you received, professionally and on time, with constant communication from Adelante throughout. We are very disappointed in your new take on your program after hearing only, "Everything is great!" from you while in Madrid.

Thomas
Boston, MA

2 weeks at Eureka + 2 months of "Practicas" in Madrid

This was probably one of the best experiences of my life. The people at Eureka are amazingly kind and welcoming, and the people that you meet are all very interesting. Also, we all had one thing in common-we wanted to improve our Spanish! My practicas/practical was in a geriatric residence and I was able to interact with the patients there by helping them with their daily physical exercise routine, mental games, and mealtime. Although it was only 4 hours a day, I enjoyed being around the nurses and residents, using the Spanish that I was learning. Adelante does a good job of following up with you to make sure that you are okay, and the directors at Eureka really take care of you. The location of the apartments are also very convenient, and with all the friends that I made, it was easy to not be alone.

Increase the amount of Eureka classes (1 month?) and shorten the practicas.

Jennifer
Virginia

Starting my career in Madrid

I participated in Adelante's Intern Abroad program in the Summer of 2014 and I had an amazing experience. The two week Spanish course was extremely helpful and it was really was a great refresher for remembering the Spanish I learned in school. My internship program was unique because I had the opportunity to work with the same company that I would be working for full time back in America. It was amazing to be able to have international experience working for a company before I even had the opportunity to begin full time. I met amazing people in the program and also in the city. I love that it is a very independent program and you have the ability to explore and travel as you please.

I wish the directors of the school who run the campus housing were more friendly and understanding. They just come into your apartment whenever they feel like it and treat you like children in regards to cleaning the apartment and when you are allowed to have friends over. It is in a great location, but it is very hot and noisy especially in the summer because there is no air condition in the apartment and Madrid gets very hot. Also, the internship director that works with the school in Madrid does not speak any English so that poses a problem sometimes with communication. Also, he tried to encourage us to work 40 hours a week even though we were told we would only be working 20 hours a week. Eventually we got everything taken care of but it was surprising that he would tell us to do that.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Thanks for the good details and thank you too for continuing to recommend this established program! I wanted to make sure to address your comments: we have heard from many of our US candidates that they are frustrated with the Spanish habit of entering a housing room or apartment. This seems to be a huge part of the culture - it is "worse" in southern Spain - whereby the thinking seems to be that "if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't mind if someone comes in." We have tried and tried to remedy this cultural idiosyncrasy or to closer match it to our own cultural expectation about privacy, with some success, but clearly not 100% yet! Please know that it is not mean spirited or in any way trying to catch you off guard, rather a part of the fabric of Spanish society with anyone, student or no. Same goes for building / apartment doormen knowing more about your habits, who is coming to visit, who is leaving and when, etc. than even your roommates know! No a/c is typical in the older, historic downtown center of Madrid which is where we are proud to offer housing - on a walk street, with multiple metros 2 minutes walk away, every kind of shop and cafe also within 1 minute walk, grocery store too, and so much more. In regards to speaking Spanish, in Madrid, our Director speaks English and our Intern Advisor speaks Spanish, by design. It is best to ramp up your language level as fast as possible and this means a policy goal of communication in Spanish, but there is always our Director if you absolutely need, need to speak English!
Thank you again for your excellent review:)

NurseInMadrid

Nursing Internship in Madrid

I am finishing my Bachelors in Nursing, with a Spanish minor, so I was looking for a unique internship in a hospital setting. I applied to Adelante with this in mind, and they found a great choice for me! I was placed in a hospital with an orthopedic surgeon. I assisted him in the operating room and in consultations before and after surgery. It was definitely hard to adjust to the language difference, especially since surgical and medical words are sometimes quite complex. However, the doctors were very patient and I quickly became comfortable working and speaking in tense situations in hospital. The surgical team of nurses and doctors took me under their wing and taught me so much. Each and every nurse and doctor I worked with was truly exceptional.

A little trouble with the living situation. I was in a 6 bedroom apartment, where I was under the impression that everyone would be an English- speaker. However, I was the only American (which was fine) but only 2 of my roommates spoke English. 2 did not speak English or Spanish. Even with the language barrier, we all got along.

goodkidmadridcity
University of California- San Diego

Shadowing an orthopedic surgeon in Madrid--an experience of a lifetime!

Quick Summary:
I just finished an amazing two-month "shadow a surgeon" internship program with Adelante Abroad in Madrid (September-October 2013). For this particular program, the first two weeks are spent taking intensive Spanish classes in a language school called Eureka. The following six weeks are spent doing an internship with a local hospital or clinic, where the student shadows an assigned surgeon. Honestly, it was an experience of a lifetime & I would definitely recommend this program!!

Program Administration:
In the few months prior to my trip, the California-based office of Adelante Abroad communicated with me via phone and email, explaining the program and answering any questions I had. They were all very nice and encouraging. The part that got a little messy was when I was actually leaving for Madrid. The program is run by both the California-based office and their Madrid-based contacts. The California office talks to the students that would like to go abroad, performs the screening process, etc., while the Madrid contacts figure out the internship details (they have major connections in Madrid). I was expecting to know who I would be shadowing at least 1 month prior to my trip. I found out 2 weeks prior to my trip that my internship assignment wasn't confirmed yet, although they told me who I might possibly be shadowing (not too great for reassuring panicky parents). In their defense, my internship was a unique one--I am a bioengineer searching a medical shadowing position. PLUS, Spain is on vacation for August and many of the businesses/offices are closed, making it really difficult to make the arrangements for my internship. But still, I would have liked to be reassured that there was something concrete for me to come to before leaving.

Living, Spanish Classes & Getting Situated:
I arrived in Madrid, where I was welcomed and taken to my centrally-located apartment by Angel, the main Adelante Abroad contact in Spain. I absolutely loved my apartment--close to everything, safe, and cool apartment mates from Adelante and Eureka. During the first two weeks I took Spanish classes at Eureka, and my experience there was perfect! The staff and instructors were incredibly nice and welcoming, and I really felt encouraged to speak Spanish. The internship coordinator, Antonio, met with me throughout the first two weeks to talk to me about my internship assignment. My assignment changed twice before I actually started. Yes, it was a bit frustrating and confusing at first, BUT once I started my internship, I felt much more relieved.

Internship:
I shadowed a surgical team in the orthopedics, sports medicine, and trauma department. It was a bit difficult to adapt because my lacking Spanish skills (this will happen with ANY internship abroad program), but it was an absolutely amazing experience. I felt like I was immersed in real Spanish life--culture, food, work. I came into the clinic and literally sat in the operating rooms while I watched back-to-back surgeries. I saw total knee replacements, rotator cuff repair surgeries, ACL reconstructions, meniscectomies, and much more. Whenever I had questions, the surgeon was willing and ready to answer. The surgeons really made me feel welcome, even including me for a team dinner during my first week!

Overall, I would definitely recommend this program.. I mean, how often are you able to do it all in one program--learn Spanish, live in central Madrid, AND watch cool surgeries!

More organized and fluid communication between California office, Madrid-based contacts, internship company, and student regarding internship assignment.

Kate
Mountain View, California
Boston College

Madrid Practica

I had an amazing time in Madrid. My internship was teaching English in a community organization. I loved working with the kids and had a great time. My Spanish improved immensely by having Spanish co-workers. I lived in housing with two friends that was just south of the Palacio Real. It was nice accommodations (aside from trying to figure out the washing machine!). I also appreciated having my own place, rather than in the language school's housing, which had to worry about noise complaints and unfriendly housekeeping.

I had a great time with my practica and my housing. I wouldn't have changed anything.

vivaespana
Texas
Southern Methodist University

awesome

I got placed in the law firm of my dreams (immigration law) with international coworkers and was living with 3 native Spanish university students my age. There is no bad time to go to Madrid; however, the summer months of July and August have the best sales and also the most flexible working hours, so you can slip away for a long weekend to travel wherever your heart desires (Madrid is central like that).

The program directors (in Spain) were never in contact with me again after the initial 2 weeks of classes, so we never did any weekend excursion trips like I had paid for.

herrera
Chicago, Illinois
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Most bang for your buck!

You won't find a cheaper and easier way to visit Madrid. Everything is included in the fee; housing, Spanish classes, the internship, and various outings to the city’s landmarks. The outings consist of guided trips to the various museums and sights. The internship was also great and gave me excellent insight into what it is like to work as an engineer in Spain. Throughout the whole experience Adelante staff was there to answer any question and help with any problem. My only complaint is the lack of activities or opportunities to meet and interact with native Spaniards apart from the nightlife.

The apartments I stayed in were not air conditioned and during the summer it can get over 100F. I understand that this would increase the rent but it is necessary.

mayte
Miami, Fl

Stop looking for a better option

TONS OF POSITIVE COMMENTS!

I did my research before choosing this program, as I concluded this was the most personalized experience I could have. Adelante was extremely helpful in-country and abroad in accommodating my interests.
I decided to do this after graduating from college, as I wanted to have an experience abroad, more specifically in Spain, and get some experience prior to entering grad school in the fall. I was looking for a psychology internship that would guide my interests in graduate school, and I got it.
I worked with a non-profit organization that provides services for immigrants in Spain. Given that I am a native speaker, I was able to take on more responsibilities and co-coordinate a summer camp for children with the program director. I was placed in the same organization with a friend with a beginners level of spanish and her responsibilities were based on the service she provided teaching english. Together we volunteered to teach english to the summer camp children as a part of the program, and it worked very well given our respective language levels.
I was also looking for a place that would allow me to work hands-on with children, since I am considering working with them in the future. To design the camp, I worked with the social psychologist on site and was given a lot of freedom to design a curriculum to teach english and work on their developmental needs. It was a challenge because the group consisted of 47 kids ages 4-12, all together, but it was very rewarding and there was a lot of support from Spanish volunteers. In addition, I faced a lot of the cultural and socioeconomic issues that affected these children, which was important in understanding their needs as first or second generation immigrants. Overall, my internship experience was PHENOMENAL. There was a clinical psychologist on site as well, and he welcomed observation as well. He ran emotional intelligence workshops for adults. My supervisor and my co-workers were all very friendly and they really appreciated the work. This goes for my friend as well, and in her case they really appreciated the effort to communicate in spanish.
THE FUN PART
General feelings on culture
SPAIN IS A MUST! The culture is extremely welcoming, the nightlife is ongoing, the bars can be anything from a family friendly block bar to a dancing night club bar. The society is much more liberal than in America, which means you will either have a great experience soaking in their lifestyle and non-judgmental views, or you may find it a bit uncomfortable when you walk down the street and see couples openly displaying their affections, be it heterosexual or homosexual. That is up to you. I personally found it was a positive experience. For the most part it was very liberating to be in an environment where people really don't think twice about "awkward moments" or "outrageous clothing" or PDA. PS- I am not a "hipster"- whatever that means. Spanish people live their lives on their terms and no one else's, and that really come through in their culture.
Shopping:
If you go over the summer, wait until july or august to shop. Their summer sale is amazing and you will save some money
Traveling:
Summer traveling is a bit more expensive due to the season, but if you are in Madrid there are plenty of nearby cities you can visit on day trips that'll cost anywhere from 10-20 euros roundtrip.
Food:
TRY EVERYTHING even if you don't know what it is. Chances are you will get something strange every now and then, but most of it will be delicious.

Final word: GOOOOO!

Only negative review: housing through the spanish academy is not ideal. They tend to be more strict because not all the student living in the apartment are part of Adelante, and they have to respect everyone's needs. For obvious reasons they do not encourage social gatherings (by this I mean a dinner of 6-8 people, not a party) in apartments where other roommates may be language students who also work etc. (friends lived in this housing)
I lived in Aluni Housing (you get this when you request to live with spanish roommates). much more laid back and they do not meddle in how you handle your living space (which you do pay for after all). They also have better cleaning service, from what I heard from students living in academy housing.

Nolan
San Fransisco, CA
Chapman University

Great Program in a Wonderful City!

Through Adelante Abroad I was able to spend three fantastic months in Madrid! While I had been to the city once before, I missed out on a study abroad experience in college so I wasn't exactly sure what an extended stay in a foreign country would be like. Thankfully Adelante helped immensely with the lead-up - with an involved pre-departure orientation - and with the transition once there. They had me picked up at the airport, transported to the front door of my lodgings, and immediately plugged into two weeks of language classes at Academia Eureka. My apartment was incredibly well located; practically in Puerta del Sol (the city hub of activity and transportation). The language institute director, my internship advisor, and the Adelante coordinators/directors back home in the US were friendly, helpful, and attentive throughout the entire process. I never once felt that if I needed assistance their support would not be there. After my classes at the language institute, I move on to my internship at a Spanish film company. Notably, this is not a usual area of focus that is requested of Adelante, but they worked with me to customize a more than suitable internship. My bosses (an independent director and his business partner) and my coworkers were very nice and patient with me. Through my internship I got a good look at how the business of cinema is handled in Spain, and I also gained a friend during my time in Madrid, as my most immediate coworker was around my age. Through him, my classmates, and flatmates, I stayed social and interacted with people from countries all over the world: Spain (of course), but also Germany, Korea, Italy, Japan, China, Russia, Brazil, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands, Panama, and others. I would do it all again in a heartbeat...

The only real problem was something that I recognize Adelante could have no control over: I was hoping the film company at which I was interning would be in production on a project while I was there (i.e. "on set"), but unfortunately they were between projects so the majority of my work in the office dealt with the development phase and business concerns.

maria_madrid_psych
madrid, spain
Boston College

Amazing Program, Horrible Housing

The program overall was amazing and worthwhile. I gained invaluable professional experience at a psychiatrist's office and met a lot of incredible and intelligent people. I enjoyed living in the apartment, and I would definitely recommend requesting to live WITH SPANISH roommates instead of with Adelante candidates. If you request to live with Spanish roommates you might not actually live with Spanish people but at least you won't have to deal with the horrific situation on Calle Arenal (the apartment where Adelante candidates live when they request to live with other Adelante people). They do random checks of the apartment whenever they feel like it, letting themselves in and snooping around making sure that nobody has any friends that are staying over. If you let a friend or two crash on the couch until morning after a night out, and they find out, they will take your deposit away. They claim that there is no need since Madrid is a very safe city, but both myself and my roommates (all female) have seen men masturbating on two separate occasions in broad daylight and early in the morning. It's easy to understand why a woman wouldn't feel safe walking home alone after a night out, no matter how safe Madrid is generally. It's ridiculous to me that you pay so much for accommodations in Madrid and are unable to help a friend out by letting them stay on your couch till morning (nobody is staying for days or weeks on end). The lack of understanding and empathy from the people who do the random checks and who own the apartments on Calle Arenal is embarrassing and unprofessional. DO NOT LIVE IN ADELANTE HOUSING, but definitely do the program because otherwise it is a fulfilling and incredible experience.

Ridiculous and unsafe housing standards.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. Thank you too for confirming that your internship with Adelante Abroad in Madrid provided you with real value and actual, relevant international work experience. The housing rule is a hard rule for many to understand, however it is a firm one, and also clearly published. Industry wide it is the norm too, not just Adelante Abroad has this rule. The main reasons for it are these: 1) we used to allow our candidates to have friends spend the night. We figured they would speak to the other roommates and have an adult discussion and come to an arrangement. Invariably someone took advantage of this and had a family member or friend stay for days and even weeks. 2) There is a safety issue! We know and have screened the other roommates, or our Director has, but we don't know everyone's friends and family. During that same period when Adelante did allow candidates to have guests over, items went missing from peoples rooms. So, we joined the rest of the programs out there in adding the “no guests” rule about 6 years ago. Long story short, we hope you do understand the reasoning behind this rule!

Stephen
Madrid, Spain

UIMP summer program

My Madrid experience was good. The city is very hot in the summer but overall I enjoyed myself and made many new friends. I enjoyed working in Colegio Mayor Guadalupe

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure to provide a travel program that's right for you!