Discover Mexico!

Discover Mexico!

ISL’s Baja Mexico program is an on-going humanitarian project that takes place in Puerto Peñasco, situated along the beautiful Sea of Cortez. We work with global health agencies, local health ministries, and other NGOs to help medically serve communities in need. Because our work in Puerto Peñasco is continual, when an ISL team is scheduled for Baja, it is a “go” regardless of how many volunteers apply.

Baja Teams typically have the lowest program fees. You'll start by flying into Phoenix, AZ, and an ISL staff member will drive you and your fellow team members to the service site. Our Mexico volunteers have one of the widest arrays of programs to choose from including veterinary, pharmacy, dentistry, global health, and more!

In addition to a plethora of program options, Mexico teams have many different recreations options to choose from, including horseback riding, parasailing, and kayaking.

ISL Baja Teams work hard and play hard. Join a team now!

North America » Mexico
Project Types
Year Round
Hotel
Two meals per day, all lodging, land and water transport, guides, tips, museum and event fees, field academic program costs, border costs, security costs, project supplies.

Carolyn
Bethany, West Virginia
Bethany College

Great Educational and Rewarding Experience

In January, I took five students to Puerto Penasco, Mexico for a Global Health Medical Service Learning Experience. This experience was educational and very rewarding for all that attended. While reviews of other programs (not ISL) said they spent more time vacationing than volunteering, this was not the case with ISL. While yes, we did have free time, the majority of our time was dedicated to service work as I had hoped for. The first two days, we spent learning how to take vital signs and learning the medical culture of Mexico. We spent three days walking the streets of Mexico performing in home visits, taking vitals and inviting people to our free clinic we held on the last two days. We also visited a phase one and phase two hospital, which was extremely educational, comparing the Mexico medical system to that of America. This was a great, eye-widening experience for all and I was very grateful to have this opportunity. The overall experience also helped remove fears and stereotypes of the Mexico society.

Overall the experience was great. The only improvement would involve communication leading up to the trip. The information provided was vague and as a novice traveler, I did go in to the trip with many hesitancies. Once in Mexico, however, everything was great.

Christy
College Station, TX
Texas A&M University

PTAs in Mexico!

The whole experience was wonderful! It made us reach beyond ourselves and our comfort zone, to help those that were truly in need. In one of our home visits, we reached out to a lady who had suffered a fractured hand and was also dealing with the death of numerous family members and having to live by herself. She was very grateful for anything that we did . . . starting with praying with her and providing her a rosary. We interacted with her several times and she was so much happier by the time we left. What a wonderful gift and blessing it is to be able to make a difference in someone's life!

Tori
Fort Collins, Colorado
University of California- Santa Barbara

An amazing learning experience

Going into my ISL trip, I was unsure what the experience was going to be like. I only really knew that I was going to Mexico with likeminded people to do medical work in the local community. Little did I know that, that was only the surface. What I found in the ISL experience was not only incredible hands on work, but also great immersion into the Mexican culture. The staff was wonderful and the accommodations were far beyond than my expectations. Everything about this opportunity was exceptional. If you want to do real hands on medical work and see the difference you can make in others' lives than this is the program for you. I only wish I could have stayed longer. Thank you ISL!

There could be more variety in where we worked

Mary
Sioux City, IA 51106
Morningside College

International Service Learning in the Baja

Our team of college nursing and pre-med students experienced a fabulous holistic healthcare and community service immersion! We had busy days working in the community by building gardens, painting schools, visiting a prison, playing soccer with the children, and attending church. Our healthcare work spanned community and home visits, a free neighborhood clinic, completing health assessments in the primary care clinic and providing patient care in the hospital. The leaders kept us highly engaged in serving the Baja population while improving our Spanish speaking and professional nursing skills. We had ample free time to enjoy the beach and do some tourist activities. We all returned to Iowa with a broader appreciation of diverse community needs.

International Service Learning (ISL) has been connecting volunteers with meaningful service projects and educational opportunities around the world for more than 20 years. ISL's staff are professionals in health care, travel, transpiration, translation, etc. The support ISL offers its volunteers is unmatched. ISL sends volunteers