Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Mexico

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Projects Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

The group at an outreach.
With my roommate and fellow volunteer, as well as with my host mom.
Feeding breakfast to the two-year olds in the nursery.
Me with the cute little toddlers at the nursery. See how hard it is to get them all smiling at the camera ;)
Me with the Projects Abroad staff of Guadalajara.
My first day in the surgery room.

Mexico is a beautiful country, and a great place to spend time on a volunteer program or internship. Mexico is a real meeting-place of cultures: a modern, industrialized and well-educated country thats full of history. Mexico is a stimulating mixture of wealth and poverty, and offers amazing opportunities for volunteers to learn and travel within its expansive borders.

Make an impact in the local communities by joining one of our Care, Teaching, Conservation & Environment, or Sports projects. You can also volunteer as an intern in General Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, Physical Therapy, Journalism, International Development, Veterinary Medicine, Social Work or Business internships available.

Start Planning Next Year's Trip of a Lifetime..

🌍 Explore the world ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 28 weeks of travel

We'll take you to five different countries around the world, where you'll gain a whole host of experience to make your resume shine & contribute to a better world.

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Sea Turtle Conservation in Mexico

Become part of ongoing conservation efforts on the Pacific coast and help protect endangered sea turtles.

Refugee Support Project in Mexico

Lend a hand at refugee camps in Mexico and help make the transition between countries easier for those seeking refuge.

Volunteer Teaching Project in Mexico

Teach English to school or university students to boost their confidence and career prospects.

Volunteering with Children in Mexico

Work with children and support their care and education in kindergartens and daycare centers.

Landais

Sea turtles conservation

I spent 1 month to help sea turtles conservation at Cuyutlan, Mexico. Each day was special : night patrol, cleaning nest, mangrove conservation. Take care of animals in el tortugario was an incredible experience where i met so kind people. Thanks so much for this. I recommend for all lovers of nature.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Landais,
I am happy to hear that you had a great experience with the Project Abroad team. Your amazing effort into the Conservation Project in Mexico is hugely appreciated. Let’s start planning your next Projects Abroad adventure!

Oliver Garcia, Country Director for Mexico

Lisa

Mexico Conservation Turtle Camp

From start to finish this company were very accommodating, non pushy, friendly & informative. The cost covered mostly EVERYTHING, meaning delicious food, insurance, transfers, staff, places we stayed, equipment we used.
The staff are all extremely friendly, professional & all care for there roles/positions a lot, which was refreshing to see! I went on the mexico conservation turtle camp in April 2019 & it is something i will never forget! I got to share the wonderful experience with my two best friends & my 11 year old son, which was very special to me as they could accommodate for children to go!

What did we do on the trip?
We cleaned the large turtles, baby turtles (cute!) feed the iguanas, cleaned the tanks, painted a wall, moved sand off a beach, planted mangroves, sunbathed on hammocks by the pool & our beach house (heaven!) had a bonfire & gazed at the stars, collected turtle eggs on quad bikes on night patrols & let the hatchling baby turtles into the sea! this is to mention just some of the incredible things we did! It was something i will never forget & touched my heart.

I am now a brand ambassador for projects abroad & very proud to be part of a brilliant team, hoping to go on lots of school fairs & talks & to travel more & work along side the team with some ideas to help the save the planet & environment.

Get involved, ask questions, be in the moment! leave the UK life behind & enjoy nature & your experience! Make it change you for the better.

Put down your phone, avoid WIFI & life back home, switch off & be present as much as possible.

Remember how lucky you are to help these animals & there habitat.

Appreciate all that the staff do to make you happy & enjoy the sunshine & sunsets!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Lisa,
Thank you for your review on our Sea Turtle & Coastal Conservation project in Mexico. I’m delighted that you had a positive and rewarding experience. Your involvement with the project is hugely appreciated by Projects Abroad and the local community. We look forward to you volunteering with us again.

Oliver Garcia, Country Director for Mexico

Yuna

Experience with this program

I joined this program for 2weeks. There were many new things for me like the language which used in Mexico is Spanish. In particular, the life in the camp was very unique and interesting time for me.Then I learned a lot of things during this program! I could find the individual meaning of this programs too. This is because the way of conserving sea turtles was made by multidirectional view point. I thought that this program was same as what I envision! Therefore, I want you to recommend this program to know example of how to preserve the environment. In addition, I have regretted about the long of spending for volunteer because it was too short for me to conscious the essence of conservation and volunteering. So l hope that a lot of people try this program with a long spell and find out them.

I could improve my negative mind because the people who gather for sea turtles had positive mind.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Yuna,

Thank you for your review!

We are really happy to hear you have spent a meaningful and wonderful journey with us in Mexico! I can only imagine how quick those 2 weeks would have flown by, especially with all the great activities you did! By the sounds of things, you certainly had an 'Meaningful travel' experience with the new insights you learnt and acquired.
Your comments will certainly be a great contribution to creating awareness and inviting others to experience this program in Mexico.

If you enjoyed the turtle conservation so much, we have a project working with their close cousin the Giant Tortoises in the Galapagos, let me know if you would like to check it out!

All the best,

Shigeki
Projects Abroad - Country Director Japan

Elaine

Nice volunteer with sea turtles in Cuyutlan

It was a really fun experience to volunteer in Cuyutlan, Mexico. I joined the Sea Turtle Conservation program, which aimed to take care of the sea turtles. The most interesting part was to pick up the baby turtle eggs near the sea in the morning. You can see the most beautiful view of the world near by the sea in Cuyutlan. Also, picking up the eggs, seeing the small turtles growing up and putting them back to the sea was meaningful to me. It made me feel that I did help them live. Anyways, it was a special and enjoyable experience to live and take care of the sea turtles and other animals. It was a great volunteer program to join to get close to sea turtles and know more about their behaviors or features.

Mackenzie

Public Health in Guadalajara, Mexico

The focus of this alternative spring break was public health. This was the first time I would be traveling on my own to participate in a health brigade, which made me a bit nervous. PA communicated with our group prior to departure and provided basic guidelines for our trip. My trip included 6 students from around the United States traveling with local doctors to provide basic health assessments in the community. This trip was a perfect combination of tourism and volunteering, and at a great price. You can work on your Spanish and be as involved as you would like in the process! It's perfect for anyone interested in public health.

I feel the communication prior to departure could have been better.
Cecily

Life-Changing

As soon as I signed up with Projects Abroad, they were available to answer all my questions.I interned in Guadalajara, Mexico in Medicine. I never felt uncomfortable. As soon as I landed, a worker picked me up to drive me to my accomodation. My host family were wonderful and I loved the neighborhood. I made friends with other volunteers. At the hospital, I was able to assist with deliveries and discovered a new love of emergency medicine. A Projects Abroad was available 24/7 for me to text or call. Considering this was my first time to travel alone, I would say this is the perfect organization to go with!

I wish it could have been a little cheaper.
Valerie

The Earth We Share: Turtles and Humans

When I began the search for an abroad community service programs, I knew that I wanted a program that was flexible, safe, reliable, and beneficial. Through my research I came upon the Sea Turtle and Coastal Conservation in Mexico through Projects Abroad. In this program students would have the ability to work with the environment and directly witness their positive impact to Earth.
Directly after my flight landed, I knew that I was in good hands. The staff and counselors for Projects Abroad made it a simple and smooth transition into the Mexican culture. I began to become more aware with my surroundings and analyzed the differences and similarities.
Through what was known as “turtle camp”, my journey in Mexico evolved. From the crazy, loud, and excited reactions of participants seeing the wildlife, to the calm, peaceful, and mesmerizing moments of analyzing the scenery, the trip was best of both worlds. I had the opportunity to take an active action in the environment and help the creatures that live their life on the same planet that I do.

Katia

5 Weeks in Guadalajara nursery

Previously, I had never been out of my country alone before, never been away from home longer than 2 weeks, and yet Projects Abroad made my experience the best time of my life.
Projects Abroad is an incredible, flexible program that gave me the greatest number of options despite my young age. I was looking for program that would allow me to stay for a minimum of 4 weeks, and this was one of the only organizations that had that available for teenagers. Also, after reviewing and applying for multiple other organizations, the prices were not economical and I didn't think I would be able to leave a significant impact within the limited time constraints of the project. If you are looking to make a lasting difference and want to design your own project, Projects Abroad is for you. The organization offers "High School Specials" for teenagers, however I chose to go with the standard program in order to stay for a longer duration, and because it was a better deal. If you are a high schooler applying for Projects Abroad, I would recommend applying for the standard program because it offers more flexibility and gives you a much more authentic Mexican experience.

I worked in a nursery with babies and toddlers, caring for them and feeding them breakfast and lunch, and teaching them English and Spanish. The kids were troublesome, adorable, but above all, precious, and I was a great help to the very poor nursery, as these kids are there for 9 hours a day, everyday. I brought a full suitcase of school supplies, and the kids loved and appreciated the little surprise I would bring everyday; one day, an alphabet poster, a color wheel, or an educational toy. It was pretty awesome working with the babies, too, because I got to witness some of them undergo their developmental stages in the time I spent there. Although I worked at the nursery for most of my stay, I also diverted for one week to working at a summer camp teaching English. Because Projects Abroad is so accommodating, they were able to organize this switch for me very easily. That was also so cool, as I got to be the teacher and teach all these Spanish-speakers their first words in English. If you are looking to be hands-on, this is definitely the program for you.

The staff, of course, provided 24/7 assistance, and my host family was so kind and made for a very lovely household. I bonded with volunteers from around the world, and had the freedom to explore the city and do whatever I wanted in my free time. I can honestly say that I have never had such a fun time while also giving back through community service, and it is so worth it to spend a summer or break in Mexico.

There is some difficulty communicating with the volunteer advisor before the project, because they actually do not live in Mexico. It would be much less confusing and organized to have a staff member in the Mexico office to be the primary communicator before volunteers arrive.