• Mexico

Program Details

Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Guesthouse Host Family
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)

Pricing

$1,500 USD
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Equipment Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Visa
Aug 20, 2021
Aug 25, 2021

Mexico is a beautiful, expansive country bursting with a colorful blend of modern and indigenous culture, drool-worthy cuisine, thought-provoking art, and classical architecture all topped off with warm, highly-intelligent inhabitants. The large disparity between economic classes offers huge opportunity for development, where Projects Abroad volunteers and interns make a real impact year-round.

By joining one of our Volunteer projects, you can directly help to:

1. Improve Education and Early Childhood Development Support for disadvantaged children
2. Rescue baby Sea Turtles or aid scientific Marine research sub-surface
3. Imbue disadvantaged youths with a sense of team work, health and confidence through athleticism
4. All of the above! Combinations available.

Speak with a Project Expert today!

Popular Programs

Sea Turtle Conservation in Mexico

Nearly all species of Sea Turtle are now on the Endangered Species List. We need your help on the Pacific Coast to protect new nests from poachers, keep beaches clean for females to lay eggs, replant crucial mangroves, community education, and more. Depending on the season you may encounter different species such as Olive Ridley Sea Turtles, Black sea Turtles, or even massive Leatherbacks! Speak with a Project Expert today to learn how you can help!

Volunteer Teaching Project in Mexico

The world is more connected than ever, therefor English learning is an important part of the education curriculum in Mexico in order to greatly increase student's future career prospects. Secondary School and University students at our partner schools in vibrant, bustling Guadalajara are very eager to learn from and practice with Projects Abroad's English-speaking volunteers. TEFL not necessary, inquire on our website today!

Crystal clear, white-sand coastline where our conservation efforts are focused.

Work alongside expert conservationists to preserve threatened coastal species and resources through activities such as collecting scientific data during ocean dives, mangrove reforestation, and monitoring marine and coastal animal populations. Your Open Water Scuba certification is waiting for you as part of the program, and land-based/snorkeling activities are available for non-divers.

Volunteering with Children in Mexico

Join the Projects Abroad Childcare team to support crucial, individualized Early Childhood Development support at understaffed and underfunded care centers and kindergartens in Guadalajara. Many of these children come from disadvantaged families who's parents rely on the care centers while they work, or have lost one or both parents. Projects Abroad aims to ensure they continue to receive a stable education and opportunities for the future. You can also assist children with special needs.

Refugee Support Project in Mexico

Lend a hand at a refugee camp in Guadalajara, Mexico to help make the transition between countries easier for those seeking refuge. Refugees can receive hot meals, showers, and even clothing here as they are passing through on their way to the US or seek asylum in Mexico. Over the years this program has expanded to offer legal, psychological, social insertion support, and more. No matter your background and experience, there is something you can do to help!

• 9-10 rating 82.35%
  • 7-8 rating 17.65%
Mia

Medical Project in Guadalajara

I visited Guadalajara for the medical internship and it was amazing! I managed to be in surgery and see 2-3 surgeries a day and I also shadowed a cardiologist. The staff at the hospital are so lovely and it has been the best medical internship I have ever done. The staff talk you through what they're doing and why, so you're not just sat in the corner observing all the time. If you want a hands on experience, this is for you. You also have a choice of loads of wards- from maternity to emergency medicine. I stayed with a lovely family and met some friends that I'll keep forever. The accommodation is really nice and the host family was lovely. You're provided with three meals a day and everything you'll need for your stay. You have loads of support during your stay and there's a lot of activities that are arranged to get involved in. I loved every second of my project and will defo be visiting Mexico again!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was able to be in surgery and watch every moment of it which was amazing!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Mia,

Thank you for sharing these details about your experience with others who may be interested in a medical internship in Mexico. It's amazing to hear that this is the best medical internship you have ever done, and that you were able to gain some great experience and lasting friendships! We greatly appreciate your dedication, professionalism, and hard work.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for your next trip to Mexico, we would love to have you join us again!

Kind regards,

Courttani
Projects Abroad

Landais

Sea turtles conservation

I spent 1 month to help sea turtles conservation at Cuyutlan, Mexico. Each day was special : night patrol, cleaning nest, mangrove conservation. Take care of animals in el tortugario was an incredible experience where i met so kind people. Thanks so much for this. I recommend for all lovers of nature.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Landais,
I am happy to hear that you had a great experience with the Project Abroad team. Your amazing effort into the Conservation Project in Mexico is hugely appreciated. Let’s start planning your next Projects Abroad adventure!

Oliver Garcia, Country Director for Mexico

Lisa

Mexico Conservation Turtle Camp

From start to finish this company were very accommodating, non pushy, friendly & informative. The cost covered mostly EVERYTHING, meaning delicious food, insurance, transfers, staff, places we stayed, equipment we used.
The staff are all extremely friendly, professional & all care for there roles/positions a lot, which was refreshing to see! I went on the mexico conservation turtle camp in April 2019 & it is something i will never forget! I got to share the wonderful experience with my two best friends & my 11 year old son, which was very special to me as they could accommodate for children to go!

What did we do on the trip?
We cleaned the large turtles, baby turtles (cute!) feed the iguanas, cleaned the tanks, painted a wall, moved sand off a beach, planted mangroves, sunbathed on hammocks by the pool & our beach house (heaven!) had a bonfire & gazed at the stars, collected turtle eggs on quad bikes on night patrols & let the hatchling baby turtles into the sea! this is to mention just some of the incredible things we did! It was something i will never forget & touched my heart.

I am now a brand ambassador for projects abroad & very proud to be part of a brilliant team, hoping to go on lots of school fairs & talks & to travel more & work along side the team with some ideas to help the save the planet & environment.

Get involved, ask questions, be in the moment! leave the UK life behind & enjoy nature & your experience! Make it change you for the better.

Put down your phone, avoid WIFI & life back home, switch off & be present as much as possible.

Remember how lucky you are to help these animals & there habitat.

Appreciate all that the staff do to make you happy & enjoy the sunshine & sunsets!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Lisa,
Thank you for your review on our Sea Turtle & Coastal Conservation project in Mexico. I’m delighted that you had a positive and rewarding experience. Your involvement with the project is hugely appreciated by Projects Abroad and the local community. We look forward to you volunteering with us again.

Oliver Garcia, Country Director for Mexico

Yuna

Experience with this program

I joined this program for 2weeks. There were many new things for me like the language which used in Mexico is Spanish. In particular, the life in the camp was very unique and interesting time for me.Then I learned a lot of things during this program! I could find the individual meaning of this programs too. This is because the way of conserving sea turtles was made by multidirectional view point. I thought that this program was same as what I envision! Therefore, I want you to recommend this program to know example of how to preserve the environment. In addition, I have regretted about the long of spending for volunteer because it was too short for me to conscious the essence of conservation and volunteering. So l hope that a lot of people try this program with a long spell and find out them.

I could improve my negative mind because the people who gather for sea turtles had positive mind.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Yuna,

Thank you for your review!

We are really happy to hear you have spent a meaningful and wonderful journey with us in Mexico! I can only imagine how quick those 2 weeks would have flown by, especially with all the great activities you did! By the sounds of things, you certainly had an 'Meaningful travel' experience with the new insights you learnt and acquired.
Your comments will certainly be a great contribution to creating awareness and inviting others to experience this program in Mexico.

If you enjoyed the turtle conservation so much, we have a project working with their close cousin the Giant Tortoises in the Galapagos, let me know if you would like to check it out!

All the best,

Shigeki
Projects Abroad - Country Director Japan

Elaine

Nice volunteer with sea turtles in Cuyutlan

It was a really fun experience to volunteer in Cuyutlan, Mexico. I joined the Sea Turtle Conservation program, which aimed to take care of the sea turtles. The most interesting part was to pick up the baby turtle eggs near the sea in the morning. You can see the most beautiful view of the world near by the sea in Cuyutlan. Also, picking up the eggs, seeing the small turtles growing up and putting them back to the sea was meaningful to me. It made me feel that I did help them live. Anyways, it was a special and enjoyable experience to live and take care of the sea turtles and other animals. It was a great volunteer program to join to get close to sea turtles and know more about their behaviors or features.

Mackenzie

Public Health in Guadalajara, Mexico

The focus of this alternative spring break was public health. This was the first time I would be traveling on my own to participate in a health brigade, which made me a bit nervous. PA communicated with our group prior to departure and provided basic guidelines for our trip. My trip included 6 students from around the United States traveling with local doctors to provide basic health assessments in the community. This trip was a perfect combination of tourism and volunteering, and at a great price. You can work on your Spanish and be as involved as you would like in the process! It's perfect for anyone interested in public health.

I feel the communication prior to departure could have been better.
Cecily

Life-Changing

As soon as I signed up with Projects Abroad, they were available to answer all my questions.I interned in Guadalajara, Mexico in Medicine. I never felt uncomfortable. As soon as I landed, a worker picked me up to drive me to my accomodation. My host family were wonderful and I loved the neighborhood. I made friends with other volunteers. At the hospital, I was able to assist with deliveries and discovered a new love of emergency medicine. A Projects Abroad was available 24/7 for me to text or call. Considering this was my first time to travel alone, I would say this is the perfect organization to go with!

I wish it could have been a little cheaper.
Valerie

The Earth We Share: Turtles and Humans

When I began the search for an abroad community service programs, I knew that I wanted a program that was flexible, safe, reliable, and beneficial. Through my research I came upon the Sea Turtle and Coastal Conservation in Mexico through Projects Abroad. In this program students would have the ability to work with the environment and directly witness their positive impact to Earth.
Directly after my flight landed, I knew that I was in good hands. The staff and counselors for Projects Abroad made it a simple and smooth transition into the Mexican culture. I began to become more aware with my surroundings and analyzed the differences and similarities.
Through what was known as “turtle camp”, my journey in Mexico evolved. From the crazy, loud, and excited reactions of participants seeing the wildlife, to the calm, peaceful, and mesmerizing moments of analyzing the scenery, the trip was best of both worlds. I had the opportunity to take an active action in the environment and help the creatures that live their life on the same planet that I do.