Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Mongolia

Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Mongolia

Projects Abroad hosts a wide variety of volunteer projects in Mongolia! Immerse yourself in Mongolian culture as you help make a long lasting contribution in projects such as Care, Teaching, Sports, and even a Nomad project that takes you right to the Mongolian steppe!

You can also intern in General Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery, Physical Therapy, Law, Human Rights, Journalism, Business, or Social work! All programs include accommodation and volunteers are given 24/7 support throughout the entirety of their program. Whichever voluntary placement you are working on, your input will be greatly encouraged and appreciated.

Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
Asia » Mongolia

Francesca
San Francisco
Columbia University

Volunteering in Mongolia with Projects Abroad

I had the great opportunity to volunteer in Mongolia with Projects Abroad and could not have had a better experience. Traveling to Mongolia was very daunting and I was nervous about traveling abroad independently and trying to adjust to a new standard of living and new customs. My apprehensions immediately diminished once I stepped off the plane and was greeted by a cheerful staff member. She introduced me to my host family, took me around Ulaanbaatar, explained Mongolian traditions, and helped me become comfortable with public transportation. The support system provided by Projects Abroad was phenomenal. Besides feeling safe and well adjusted, my volunteering experience was wonderful. Projects Abroad connected me to a Primary Care Center and I worked for two weeks with infants and toddlers. The staff at the center didn't speak English but we still managed to communicate with hand signals and I gained such an appreciation for nurses and their hard work. Projects Abroad also organized a volunteering excursion to a ger camp where, working with other volunteers, I taught some very basic English, set up arts and crafts, and played basketball with some local children.
The host family Projects Abroad connected me with was so welcoming and kind. They gave me my own room, made large family dinners every night, and taught me about Mongolian history. I am so grateful to Projects Abroad for setting up such a life changing experience and making sure I felt comfortable for the entirety of the trip (except when it was necessary to feel uncomfortable, because sometimes that discomfort is most needed!)

Anya

Mongolia: Project's Abroad Nomad Project

Projects Abroad has been beyond incredible in making this the trip of a lifetime. I decided to go to Mongolia and live with nomads for a week out on the steppe. Although I did want to stay for longer, I am beyond thankful for the experience I was able to have. Being 16 years old- one of the youngest to go out and live with a family, my family had reservations about how safe I would be. I went with a friend from the states, and Projects Abroad made sure that our accommodation was together. The whole time we were organizing it, it was very personalized and they made sure to follow up on even the smallest question or request. My organizer, Zulaa- picked us up at the airport and made sure to make our entry into Mongolia one to remember. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met, and the most hospitable, generous, and caring. All the staff I met were genuinely concerned with our well being, and very open to suggestions, questions, and ideas. The company has wonderful roots in all nations where it offers projects. Their ability to connect with volunteers through wonderful staff make the experience very personal and memorable.
The nomad project is incredible- you are truly able to connect with yourself and experience a life which you would never be able to in the United States. Although for many it is tough to not bathe on the daily, eat a freshly slaughtered goat, and use the bathroom in the bushes, I thought that these events were what made the experience perfect. You must be open to change, new things, and positive to be able to survive out on the steppe- because after some time, you will realize that the everyday things we use are not really necessities. You are much more aware of what you have when you come back, and nothing should be truly taken for granted.
My nomadic family was beyond perfect. They had two children who were very close in age to my friend and I- which made every day so much fun. It was very easy to connect with them despite the language barrier. I got to experience things that I would never have been able to before, and became aware about the world and how not living the “American Dream” is not necessarily a bad thing. Please, if you are considering going to Mongolia- do it. It will a choice that you will not regret.

I thought it was perfect.
I wish the price was a bit lower... but in all honesty, you cannot put a price on an incredible experience!

Isobel
Camas

Care in Mongolia

I was assigned to work in a clinical orphanage in Mongolia while I was staying there for four weeks. The projects abroad staff were amazingly supportive, and they really helped me adjust to both my home and work life. They also organized many activities with the other volunteers, and I was able to become close with people from many different cultures, not just Mongolian culture. I absolutely fell in love with Mongolia and it's people. I wish I could go back and do it all over again!

Francesca
San Francisco

Journey in Mongolia

Projects Abroad helped make my experience in Mongolia fantastic. They offered so much support. I was very nervous entering the program because I've never been abroad on my own but they constantly checked in. I worked with infants at an orphanage and formed amazing relationships with both the nurses and children. My host family helped me understand Mongolian culture and cooked me dinner every night.

Kian
Austin, Texas

High School Special - Medicine In Mongolia

My experience in Mongolia through Projects Abroad was incredibly enriching, eminently challenging, extraordinarily stimulating, and above all, unforgettably joyful. I’m forever thankful for the vast clinical experience & jubilant memories I attained and the marvelous, life-long friends I made. Traveling to Mongolia not knowing anyone there or even speaking the language was exceptionally intimidating - particularly because it was my first time leaving the U.S. and my first time traveling alone. Upon arrival, however, the friendly Projects Abroad staff made me feel welcomed and at ease. My accommodation - Zaya's Hostel - was fantastic. It had a very homey feel, with extremely kind staff that prepared a delicious breakfast for us every morning. The hostel also had wifi, so it was easy to keep in touch with family and friends back home throughout my stay. We were always busy with work and fun activities, so there was never any time wasted! All in all, Projects Abroad is an amazing program, and I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone! I hope to be able to attend more projects with them in the future.

The one thing I would change is to have more flexibility in the pre-planned schedules to give volunteers more time to adjust from jet-lag, as day-long excursions in the first few days can be extraordinarily exhausting.

Student87865453
Surrey
Kingston University

Nursing in Mongolia

Overall, the experience was great. It allowed me to learn so much and met so many new people. I still vow that without this experience my chances of getting into university to do nursing would have been reduced. I had a few issues with my host family whilst in Mongolia, however once these were brought to the attention of my supervisor they were sorted within 24 hours. I would be in the hospital from around 9 to 3 everyday, which was a fantastic experience. The rest of the day and the weekends were then free to do whatever I wanted. During the evenings I would normally socialise and at the weekends quite often went to the countryside; doing a lot of horse riding. It was a fantastic experience and one I don't think I will forget very quickly!

There was a little bit of a lack of organisation on the behalf of my supervisor. She was meant to see me before I started in the hospital but never did, so when I turned up to the hospital I did not have the appropriate clothes she was meant to provide. I was also on different ward to what I was meant to be. But once my supervisor finally turned up, this was all sorted.

EM
London, UK
Kingston University

Excellent programs in a beautiful country/

Orphanage placement: Caring for several disabled children in a very clean, well-run centre alongside 2-3 nurses. The children were adorable, the work was physically hard (lifting 8-year-olds), but the days went quickly. Only minor issue was that most of the nurses spoke no English, but most things could be done by mime.

Human Rights placement: Small temporary team at the National Legal Institute. Good project, and certainly helped some people. Burocracy however, meant that we couldn't provide as much aid as we would have liked.

Staff: Great! Lovely people, you're welcome to pop in and ask questions, or call them in an emergency at any time of day or night.

Social scene was busy and varied, with organised activities as well as the volunteers doing things by themselves.

Food is very Mongolian - plain, lots of mutton. In UB you can find vegetarian and even vegan food, but not easy outside the city.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone, even if you don't feel terribly adventurous. The place and people are lovely, and the placements are really worthwhile.

Anna
York, England
Small Group (1-15)

Mongolia was the Making of Me.

Due to immense competition for places last year, I didn’t manage to get into the university I wanted and so, almost impulsively, booked a trip to Mongolia in my year out. My gap year was far from planned or thought through!
As my friends started to leave for university, I realised that I wanted a new and challenging experience too. They were off doing new things, meeting new people and generally having the time of their lives whereas I was still stuck here, in Kent! I started looking around the internet at placements and stumbled upon Projects Abroad. I booked my placement with them completely blindly but it was undoubtedly the best thing I have ever done and I could not have asked for more from an organisation.
I actually co-founded a charity whilst I was out there with my desk officer at Projects Abroad. The name of the charity is the Dream Discovery Academy of Mongolia and one of our aims is to teach Health and Safety in care and education placements. We also aim to teach dream and career outreach. This year we are planning a summer camp in the middle of June for 50 under privileged children through Dream Team England , headed up by me here. I also rode a Mongolian horse in a snowy valley (just magical if incredibly scary), a Bactrian camel, I learnt how to make Mongolian food and met a Mongolian pop star!
I have learnt so much about myself through these experiences. My Dad said to me, before I left, “you are going to come off that plane in April a completely different person” and, as much as I found that laughable at the time, he was so right. I know so much more about my strengths- I can lead, make new friends, adapt and live away from home- things that I never thought myself capable of. It has been a life changing experience and has given me the best imaginable start coming to university this year. I’m only sad that this all had to come to an end so soon! I could have (contrary to what I thought I would want to do) easily gone another two months in Ulaanbaatar!
I would recommend Projects Abroad Mongolia unreservedly. If you are even the slightest bit unsure about entering higher education, defer your entry and travel, even if it is only for a month! I am an advertisement that anyone can travel and survive!

Road
Ontario, Canada
McMaster University

Land of the Blue Sky

Emerging from the plane into the dusty and bustling capital city of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia was certainly a departure from my small town life back in Ontario, Canada. Having never previously traveled outside of North America, I was thankful to be greeted at the airport by a representative of Projects Abroad. Her kind reassurances and friendly demeanor were quick to relieve my momentary trepidation.
From the airport, she accompanied me through the loud and chaotic streets to an apartment complex in the city which would be my home for the next month. Some of my fondest memories come from evenings spent here with my host family, preparing traditional meals like buuz and clumsily exchanging English instruction for Mongolian lessons.
I have to admit that my first few days in Ulaanbaatar were probably wasted wandering around in awe and disorientation. Mastering the complicated bus system proved to be a challenge, but I was pleased to discover that the transportation was cheap and covered most of the important landmarks in the city. Like the transportation, shopping in Mongolia was also very affordable, which made exploring the stores for unique souvenirs and the softest cashmere an enjoyable pastime of mine. Unexpectedly, there were a variety of restaurants serving almost any type of cuisine imaginable. I felt quite safe and comfortable navigating the city alone during the day, but would warn travelers to be sensible: avoid staying out too late and keep your belongings close to prevent pickpocketing.
One of the challenges I had anticipated prior to my departure was the language barrier as I knew that few Mongolians speak any English, yet I was surprised at how easy it was to communicate with others through simple gestures or expressions. This was helped by the fact that everyone I encountered was incredibly gracious. I cannot forget to mention the staff from Projects Abroad who assisted tremendously in facilitating communication.
Another important part of my cultural immersion involved spending time at three local hospitals volunteering my services while gaining knowledge from the exceptional physicians there. On my first day, I was invited into the operating room and was shocked to witness the neurosurgeon use an archaic metal crank to crack open the patient’s skull! Fortunately, it was not long before I became accustomed to their equipment and techniques. In addition to surgical procedures, I was also able to observe traditional therapies such cupping and acupuncture.
The most memorable part of my excursion was escaping from the hectic city life on a road trip through the serene countryside of Mongolia and into the Gobi desert. Here is where you truly experience the land of the blue sky as well as some of the most breathtaking sunsets and sunrises imaginable. The generosity of the nomadic families we encountered on our journey was remarkable. I was amazed at how quickly we were invited into their gers to share a meal or to stay the night. Of course, the experience of riding a camel past the towering sand dunes is one I won’t soon forget.
Overall, my Projects Abroad adventure was nothing short of spectacular. I not only learned about medicine and the local health care system, but also about the history and culture of the country. Most importantly, I discovered a great deal about myself and what I am capable of. To any unseasoned travelers who are hesitant about going to Mongolia, I want to reassure you that this will be an amazing and authentic cultural experience that you will not regret.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those