Volunteer in Morocco: Most Affordable & Real Impact!

Volunteer in Morocco: Most Affordable & Real Impact!

UBELONG offers 1-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in Rabat, Morocco.

Volunteer in one of these world-class projects:

CAREGIVING
-->Caring for children with disabilities
-->Caring for children in need

EDUCATION
-->Teaching English, French or Spanish

MEDICAL
-->Assisting in a psychiatric unit
-->Promoting HIV/AIDS awareness

NGO SUPPORT
-->Strengthening NGO capacity

WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT
-->Advancing women's rights

Visit ubelong.org for more detail - the journey of a lifetime starts there!

• **24/7 in-country support
  • **Volunteer on projects that truly need you
  • **Live in the heart of Rabat and enjoy delicious meals every day
  • **Go with a US based organization - legitimacy and peace of mind
  • **The #1 program in Morocco and with the best reviews!
Africa » Morocco » Rabat
Africa » Morocco
Spring Break
Winter
Year Round
Without compromising safety or impact, UBELONG aims to offer the world’s most affordable 1-week to 6-month international volunteering opportunities.

Fees include:
-->Extensive pre-departure mentorship and support
-->Volunteering alongside locals on projects that make a REAL impact
-->Airport pick-up
-->Housing and meals
-->24/7 in-country support
-->Peace of mind from joining UBELONG, a social organization headquartered in Washington, DC
-->Brand name and networking opportunities that comes from being part of the well-known UBELONG Community

I checked the UBELONG site and it said that there are no age restrictions for volunteers. However, you must be at least 18 years old. Here's the link for more questions! https://ubelong.org/volunteer-abroad/rabat-morocco/

Mary
Madison, Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Volunteer with UBELONG

UBELONG has an outstanding ability to connect volunteers with local populations and encourage cultural understanding between people of different backgrounds. I have returned from both of my volunteer experiences with a greater understanding and appreciation for different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. By living and working with locals, UBELONG volunteers experience life in another country much more deeply than would be possible for a tourist.

Deena
Philadelphia, PA
Villanova University

Teaching in Morocco

Volunteering with UBELONG was a great experience for me. From the very beginning, I was comfortable in my stay. My host family was wonderful, and the UBELONG partner association in Morocco was extremely helpful and attentive. Most importantly, I felt like I made a difference in my teaching project, and the students were so appreciative of the work being done. I really felt like I was making an impact, and everyone made me feel very welcome throughout my three and a half month stay. If given the opportunity, I would love to do another UBELONG volunteer trip soon.

Joseph
Rabat

An awakening experience

I am a university student volunteering in Morocco and having a great time. This has been an eye opening experience I will cherish forever. I have found my English students to be very receptive to me, much more than I imagined, and I have been pleasantly surprised by my ability to fit in with my host family. I was very nervous about it, especially not speaking French or Arabic, but have found people will communicate with each other even without language. Rabat is a wonderful town, and I am glad to be here rather than another hectic place like Fez where I dont think foreigners are received as well. I am happy with my decision to volunteer and would recommend it:

Rabat gets cold during the winter and I had to buy clothing when I arrived. The first days teaching were also very daunting but I ended up feeling much better after a week.

Amy
Devon, England

UBelong Rabat Morocco

The experience was just so eye opening! I never thought it would be so amazing as it was. There were times where I thought what have I done such as when I got water poisoning, but it made me appreciate things even more. It also showed the care and appreciation the local charity had for our time we spent with them.

More details of the school I would be teaching at so could prepare lesson plans.

Savannah
Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico State University

Savannah Peyton

Overall, my experience with UBELONG and their local team was phenomenal. Working with the children at the school in Sale was a real eye opener. Whether it was riding the 6 passenger taxis to work or teaching in a 2 room schoolhouse, I would do it all again in a heartbeat! Each day we would walk to the taxi station right outside the Medina walls, in order to take the short ride into the neighboring city, Sale. Teaching at the school had its challenges. Limited resources made it difficult at first to teach. Also, I can imagine the language barrier would have been another obstacle for me to overcome if I had not traveled with a friend that spoke the language fluently. I honestly believe that by being able to convey the lessons in both English and Arabic, the students were able to gain a better grasp on the topics. On the other hand, I saw numerous volunteers get along perfectly fine without being able to speak Arabic.
The children were unbelievably welcoming. Even though I couldn't understand what they were saying, we still somehow developed an indescribable relationship. The return trip home from work was always particularly exciting to me because from that moment onward the rest of the day was mine to plan. Whether it was sitting at home and visiting with the host families, walking to the beach, or just strolling around the Medina and buying way to many souvenirs. Looking back on my experience I am overwhelmed with an abundance of emotions and life lasting memories.

It really is difficult for me to think of a negative experience I had related to the program. I suppose an obstacle that we had to overcome would be the lack of teaching resources. On the other hand, I feel that this issue could have been avoided if we would have come more prepared with things such as lessons and materials. So really this issue cannot be blamed on the particular program.

Katherine
Ann Arbor, Michigan

An Amazing Learning Experience in Morocco

UBELONG is the best international volunteer organization I have looked into. Their programs are affordable and very well organized. UBELONG partners with a great placement organization in Morocco who provided me with a wonderful host family and project. I learned so much during the six weeks I was living and working in Rabat; it is truly an experience I will never forget.

When I had to go to the hospital, I had to go alone because nobody at my placement organization could get out of their other obligations to go with me. I feel like there should be someone available to help volunteers in case of emergencies like this. I did not speak French or Arabic fluently so it was difficult at times to communicate with the doctor. It would have been helpful to have someone there who knew the country and the languages spoken.

Alyssa

Unforgettable experience

I had a really great experience being a UBELONG volunteer. From the very beginning the UBELONG staff was very helpful. They quickly answered any questions I had and made sure I was all prepared to go abroad. I really like how UBELONG partnered with a local team, it shows that UBELONG is interested in maintaining a long term presence in Morocco. My favorite part of my UBELONG experience was living with a host family. I was able to learn a lot about the daily lives of Moroccans in a way that would be impossible if I was just staying in a Hotel. My time spent volunteering with UBELONG was unforgettable. Not only was I able to help with something that I am passionate about, but I also felt myself grow as a person.

I would recommend having the volunteers learn about their placement before they arrive in the country if at all possible.

Meagan
Paris, France

UBELONG has GREAT people!

Knowing that I would be taking a team of volunteers who have had little cross cultural experience, I knew that I had to search carefully for an opportunity that would provide a healthy perspective on giving abroad. I wanted the team to ask themselves questions about who the giver/receiver really was, and what kind of helpful/harmful impact they were initiating by seeking the experience of a short term volunteering project. This is why I decided to work with UBELONG. After reading about their values and the way that they choose projects, I felt like I could be confident that we were on the same mission. I liked working with UBELONG from the beginning, because I could trust that their long term presence in Morocco had them well educated on how to fill needs with sustainable systems that are fully integrated by an for the local community. Their accessibility and genuine interest in our goals helped to incubate my trust in them as we prepared for the trip, and then the trip proved to be everything that I had hoped for! I can't wait to work with them again.

Communication regarding the details of the project at hand was very last minute. Providing a more clear idea of the tasks at hand is an area for improvement.

Katrina
Ann Arbor, MI
University of Michigan

Warning: You may not want to leave!

I originally had NO idea what UBELONG was until i applied through my university for an international internship. While reading reviews such as these, I was looking for the answer to one question: Would UBLEONG give me a beneficial experience that would last longer than my six week placement?

I had been out of school for 3 years and was still working 55 hours a week as I returned to school part time. I knew that I wanted to travel, return to school full-time, make personal growth, and use my abilities to make a positive impact. Basically, this summer needed to be a launching pad to bridge my academic, personal, and professional experiences and goals. Yes, those were a LOT of expectations!

My experience working with UBELONG and the local team surpassed my expectations. Not only was I able to use my English proficiency to teach smiling and eager faces every day, their proficiency in life gave me an experience and education of a lifetime. I had always been apprehensive of volunteer programs having a negative impact by portraying western countries as "saviors," but in my experience this is not the case with UBELONG. By stressing the importance of cultural respect, volunteers arrive with an eagerness to exchange experiences, ideas, and information.

Personal Surprises/Developments:
* I have been completely moved by the beautiful people, culture, and landscape of Morocco.
* I love teaching! Maybe my childhood goal of being a teacher was on the right track!
* I must admit that I thought my low proficiency in Arabic would have helped me a bit more than it did, but I survived!
* The likelihood of me living in Morocco for an extended period of time in my life is extremely high, in which I'll need to learn more Moroccan Arabic!

It would have been nice to learn about my host family prior to arrival! They're AMAZING!

Kendall
Miami University

UBELONG: Teaching English in Morocco

When I applied, I hadn’t been planning to teach English in Rabat, Morocco for three months but I wasn’t ready to return to my studies in the US and was looking to do something worthwhile. A shot in the dark Google search led me to UBELONG’s website and my impulsive pipedream became a concrete, feasible and, more importantly, affordable option. Teaching English in Salé, Rabat’s sister-city, was a challenging and rewarding experience that I will continue to reflect on for years to come. My students surprised me on a daily basis with their hunger for information, compassion, and quick-wit! I was the teacher, but they helped me learn so much.

None of that would have been financially or logistically possible without UBELONG. I cannot recommend this organization enough, both for newbies as well as seasoned volunteers. When I first stumbled upon their website, I found UBELONG to be professional, passionate, and approachable— three qualities that were upheld at every step before, during, and after my placement

I would love to have more ways for volunteers to connect with each other, during and after volunteering. The UBELONG facebook page is updated quite frequently with info about what current volunteers are doing, but it would be great if there was a way for active volunteers, especially across locations, to share experiences, concerns, etc. It would also be nice if the same could be offered to past volunteers— volunteering is such a unique experience and returning to day-to-day life can be kind of jarring.

Devon
MN
Pepperdine University

Ubelong morocco

Home stay was wonderful. Never felt unsafe for a moment. Excellent prep beforehand. Well selected volunteer opportunities. Just the right amount of support, no hand holding, no feeling lost or unsupported.

More stretching group volunteer session.

Jess
Las Cruces, New Mexico
New Mexico State University

Morocco

UBELONG is an amazing program and I'm so glad I was introduced to them when I decided I wanted to volunteer abroad. Since it was my first time leaving the United States, and I was going alone, I had no idea what to expect or how to prepare. UBELONG helped me every step of the way. I felt so comfortable and confident. Towards the end of my trip I got really sick and everyone in the field, and outside of the field, was on my side trying to figure out what was wrong and how to get me better. They really care about you and that's something that makes the experience priceless. UBELONG gave me the experience of a lifetime.

Alette
Washington D.C.
George Washington University

UBELONG

The search was over as soon as I stumbled upon UBELONG. In such a globalized world, the number of programs that take one abroad are numerous and expensive. Most of those projects don't come close to the amount of independence UBELONG allows you. UBELONG is for the maker, the kid who can land in Ghana, or Laos and immediately work for the adventure rather than expect it to come, much like tourists do now a days. Their projects, in spirit, are adventures and their values, in nature and application, are altruistic. When you decide to volunteer abroad you, in turn, decide to give yourself over to a program, a project, and a country. The word program is too strict for what UBELONG really is for in truth it is more of a step or spring board into action. UBELONG accepts that those who find it, in nature and spirit, are the doers of this world. We come here, and sign up here, in order to make a better world. With the guidance of our mentors and community we succeed, in an innovative fashion, that allowed us to throw our own individuality into the world as we pour our selves into the projects across the globe. The UBELONG community is the most open, accomplished, and effective community I know, second only to the Avengers. I truly encourage anyone and everyone to find and sign up for their project today.

Include airfare in the overall price.

Maxschaeffer284
Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

UBELONG in Morocco was Fantastic

I never thought I would get the chance to volunteer abroad, but when I stumbled upon UBELONG, I realized I had found a gold mine. My experience in Rabat was incredible. The staff in Morocco was supportive, and UBELONG as a whole is a very professional organization, not to mention much cheaper than any other option.

My experience in Morocco was unforgettable, whether it was time spent learning about and from my host family, exploring the neighborhoods, or working with my students. The education project in Rabat was great, and the students were very eager to learn. I’ve learned a lot about the Moroccan people, and the project has left me with a much different perspective. I can’t wait to volunteer with UBELONG again; it was one of the best experiences of my life!

RyaninMorocco
Glassboro, NJ
Rowan University

Volunteering in Rabat, Morocco

Choosing to volunteer with UBELONG was a very easy decision to make. Not only do they offer a very affordable program, they offer a program that focuses on international development. That was very important to me because I wanted to go as a volunteer and not as a tourist. Cedric and Raul are very passionate about what they do. This is show through the support provided from my first inquiry about the program, to the last day of volunteering, and beyond. My mentor, Cedric, was always willing to answer any questions I might have and kept in touch to make sure I was doing well at my placement while in Rabat, Morocco. UBELONG offers a variety of different programs in a number of countries. There is truly something for everyone. I highly recommend UBELONG as a first choice for anyone interest in volunteering abroad.

R.
Lisboa

great program

I volunteered in Rabat-Sale with a group of mates from uni. We are from Europe and volunteering is not a part of the normal options for people here like it is in America. However we found Ubelong because a friend had a connection to one of their founders and so decided to try it out instead of just touring Morocco with our cars. This was a very good decision. We worked with children on the caring for children in need program and the experience was so rewarding. Our typical day started at 8AM when we would wake up and have breakfast with our host family. This experience turned out to be one of the most beautiful of my life. We felt so welcomed and I was so amazed at how warm we were received by our family. They were not rich but still made us feel so good and so welcomed. We would then go to our project, which was in one of Sale´s poorest neighborhoods. Sale is the sister city of Rabat, they are side by side. We workd with the children to help them on their homework, sing songs and lead classes that we designed. We did a little bit of English, but focused more on geography and culture. It was very special to see their faces in the morning, just so eager to see us and appreciating our being there. People in Europe could learn a lot from them. I think many came from very difficult backgrounds and they were not used to foreigners coming to spend time with them. After our voluntary service we would enjoy Rabat, which is a very special city. It is not as well known as Fez or Tangier, but it is still very special. It is much calmer and in my opinion more welcoming as there are not as many tourists there. In total, I recommend volunteering with Ubelong and am very thankful for this great experience.

Meuller
I am from Germany.

excellent first time volunteer experience

I enjoyed my time volunteering enormously. It was my first time volunteering in a foreign country and I picked Morocco really because I felt it was the most exotic place I felt comfortable going to. My host family was a plesant surprise, I didnt think I could connect so deeply in just the 3 weeks I spent. My project in Rabat Sale was excellent and eye openning. There is some adjustment in the beginning that I do not think I was ready for coming from Europe, but the local teachers and the students most importantly made me feel comfortable. Their passion for learning and interest in learning about me and my background was very refreshing and something my home country perhaps lacks a bit. I am very thankful to Ubelong and the wonderful people I met for this beautiful experience.

Ubelong did a really good job of preparing me and I enjoyed the Skype meeting with my cordinator. However, perhaps a little more guidance on packing would have been nice as it ended up being colder than I though so had to buy new clothes in Rabat. Also I did not speak French or Arabic which made it a bit difficult, but I still did fine with my English. But you have to be ready for a bit of a language barrier.

Zainab
Baltimore, Maryland
Towson University

UBELONG - Rabat, Morocco

Why did I choose UBELONG? The answer is quite simple: UBELONG offers an wealth of choices, incomparable low fees on international volunteer programs, and promises an extraordinary experience. All this, without compromising the quality and professionalism one would expect from an organization such as UBELONG. Not to mention, Raul & Cedric are excellent mentors, always being attentive and caring to their volunteers. Thank you Cedric for following-up with me every time I called and/or e-mailed you. From the preparation briefing to the debriefing after my return to the States, you have been an exceptional mentor. I can’t wait to go back to the same project with UBELONG someday!

I spent 2 weeks in Rabat, Morocco on the Education project and cannot recommend this program enough! It truly was an experience of a lifetime! I was so fortunate to teach, learn and grow from the time I spent in Morocco and from being a part of the UBELONG community. Everything from mingling with locals, learning to cook tajine with my host mom, speaking the funniest Arabic you will ever hear, and most importantly being a positive influence in the lives of all my students – this experience was priceless! I encourage all of you reading this to fish out of the water and apply for the Rabat, Morocco program. It will change you in ways you cannot even begin to imagine. It just may be the best time of your life. I know mine was.

Most Affordable - Trusted by Thousands - Real Impact

--> Pick from 100+ projects in education, caregiving, conservation, medical and more
--> Go to Africa, Asia, Latin America & Europe