Volunteer in Morocco, Rabat with Volunteering Solutions

Volunteer in Morocco, Rabat with Volunteering Solutions

Volunteering Solutions providers quality volunteer programs in Morocco. We have a variety of placements available in the capital city of Rabat and sister city of Sale. Volunteers can choose to join all year round starting on any 1st or 3rd Monday from 1- 24 weeks in duration. Volunteer get to stay with a local Moroccan host family in and around the Medina. Living with a local family gives you a chance to understand the customs and cultures of Morocco. Our coordinators would provide you 24x7 support.

You also get a chance to learn Arabic or French, by joining the one-to-one language classes.

Some of the programs available are:

Childcare

The costs include:
- Airport Pickup from Rabat
- Pre Departure information
- 3 Meals a day
- Accommodation with a host family
- Placement to project
- 24 Hour support from staff

Patricia
Spain
University of Barcelona

We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

The journey begins when you start thinking about it

When I began planning my trip to Morocco with my family and friends, I received a lot of confusing reactions: “You are crazy, what can you find in this country? Go to safer places, morocco is very dangerous” and These stereotypes made more scared each day closer to the departure date. My trip was becoming a nightmare: Am I going to be alone? Is someone going to murder me? Will I need a head-scarf? Are they going to respect me? Am I going to be sick?

But when I arrived in Morocco, the stereotypes were absolutely shattered. I had the opportunity to meet a Morocco man with his son in the plane and my coordinators Ali and Jihane and I quickly learned my first lesson of this trip: Don’t trust opinions from others that never have been in touch with the country you are visiting, because prejudice is the son of ignorance and racism.
At any place of the world, there are good and bad people, and certainly Morocco is no exception. But people in general are very friendly and inviting. I also found it as safe as my country. Different? Yes. Worse? Not in the slightest.

You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist (Indira Ghandi).

Our coordinators demonstrated extreme professionalism. They were gracious in delivering advise, orientation, helping us in case of trouble, and keeping track of their and your responsibilities. They applied a very human touch with us, supporting us when morale was down, paying a lot of attention if everybody was fine in case we were not able to resolve issues, and truly enjoying our company.

I chose not to stay with an official family of the program, but people who were with Morocco families during the volunteering program were really satisfied with their experience with them. In my case, I was at the Riad (guest house) of MCAS and I strongly believe it was an amazing place to spend time with and meet incredible people from different parts of the world. I created some of my best memories from this place. Facilities and furnishings were in perfect condition. The Riad was spacious, light, new and peaceful. It was also a great opportunity to practice English and other international languages with other volunteers and improve your skills, particularly oral production and comprehension.

My only wish was that housing accommodations could be more fluid. When the large guest house (Riad) empties in slow travel periods, some of the magic of meeting new people or being with international friends is lost.

Apart from that, as a touristy person, Morocco was not the top of the list as much as London or Paris. But Morocco is the most beautiful country on the list. The best sights including the Sahara Desert, Chefchaouen village, Marrakech, Fez, Hassan II Tower. There are a lot of stunning and secret places to discover. They take a lot care when it comes to tourism and you feel like a royalty.

Finally, I strongly believe it has been enriching discover Islam religion. I had never imagined a religion as peaceful as this one. It is very respectful when it comes to be relations between people and also very tolerant with other cultures and religions. Now, I comprehend why this religion is the second most practised in the world.

To conclude, Morocco is an amazing country where all its treasures could be perfectly discovered if you have a very open mind, a wild and independent soul, and high capacity to adapt yourself and enjoy different ways to live. If your personality fixes with these characteristics, Morocco is going to be the best experience of your life.

Everything is included before.

Manuel
Madrid
Universidad Politécnica de Cartagena

Childcare program - Rabat

Since the first day I arrived, I felt as if they really care for me. I got picked up by Ali at the airport, though I was supposed to arrive another day. He instantly brought me under in a host family in the medina which I really appreciated. My work journey at the orphanage was like a huge step towards my personal development. It made me realize how thankful some people are when they have nothing to lose. I don't have to talk about safety... redundant topic for me; I felt really safe at all hours, I guess you just have to open up to the locals. Thanks Volunteering Solutions for this experience.

Naoka
Saitama, Japan
University of Sussex

An amazing experience and life in Morocco!

I really enjoyed the volunteering program at a nursery school in Rabat. Even there was a language barrier, children usually do not care about it and just try to talk to me. I wish I could speak Arabic or French, but we could have wonderful time of singing songs and playing games. I brought Origami paper which was good stuff to play with kids. I think they liked it! That was a small nursery school with wide range of children from 0 to 5 or 6 year-old. So I could have great time with pretty baby and powerful kids. Teachers there also cannot speak English, but they were so kind and nice to me. I really appreciate about it.
Life in Morocco was so amazing and exciting. I stayed at Volunteer staff house which is located in Medina. Then I could feel the real life of Moroccan style. There are so many shops in Medina, so I never got bored. I also visited Casablanca on holiday. I visited the famous mosque where I could see the inside. I could feel the slightly different city from Rabat. Ali, a coordinator in Rabat, was so nice and friendly. He always supported and cared about our life and volunteering program. There is another staff at accommodation, and she was also so kind. They introduced the place to visit or eat, and helped to adjust the Moroccan life. I was really impressed the cultural mixture of Islam and French.
Above all, I have spent there only for 1 week but it was precious experience. the volunteering program and life there were unforgettable to me.

Teachers and children can speak only Arabic and French, so making it difficult to communicate with them. It might be better we have the basic language skills (just greeting or numbers) in Arabic or French.

Sarif

Great program, great location

The Morocco program was a very worthwhile experience as this country is an amalgamation of French, Arabic and African culture and heritage with plenty to offer. The program coordinator was able to provide a placement that suited my interests, take feedback well and made an effort to improve the experience at the volunteer placement. A good deal of support was provided in terms of living arrangements, organising self-guided tours and the overall friendliness of the host and local coordinator made for a smooth experience. Morocco itself has plenty to see and do so at no point was I bored or short of new places to visit.

Holly
PLYMOUTH
University of Exeter

NGO Support in Rabat, Morocco

My time in Rabat was short and sweet, and I only wish i could have stayed longer. I took part in this volunteer project to gain some experience before going into my final year at Uni. I thoroughly enjoyed the company of the people I shared the experience with and Ali (the program Co-ordinator could have not been any more helpful or made the experience any more enjoyable), at no point did i feel unsafe or cease to enjoy my experience. What I gained from the volunteer experience itself was invalue, gaining an insight into to the workings of an NGO, however I felt that my limited time of only 2 weeks meant that my involvement and impact on the project was also limited. So that is my main piece of advice for any future travellers, two weeks is an enjoyable amount of time, but if you have the funds and the ability to stay for longer I definitely would! Also, although French or Arabic is not necessary, to know either a little would be a massive help!

However the organisation is great, the volunteer house couldn't have been nicer. I met some great people and got invaluable experience whilst submersing myself in a beautiful country, so I thank volunteering solutions for making it so great!

Due to the language barrier, I felt my impact on the NGO and its great work was limited. I would perhaps make it so that volunteers have to stay longer for two weeks so they can gain more from the experience and the NGO can gain more from them! other than that, it was greatt!

Linda
Dallas, Texas

Awesome

Ali and Jihane are awesome and treated me like family. I met a lot of new friends and learned so much, i would definitely recommend.

I learned about the culture and food in Morocco. Ali and Jihane also helped us to explore other cities if you wanted to. People in Morocco are also very nice and friendly. I found Rabat to be much safer then they described on the website, however many locals do not speak English.

Camilla
Rome, Italy

Moroccan Time

I didn't know what to expected coming here in Morocco. I've been volunteering before in schools but I've never be a volunteer in a NGO and I was a little bit scared cause I don't know arabic and I speak just a little bit of french. Thank to our coordinator and my colleagues I did it, I enjoined my experience and I'm bringing back home so many memories. It was interesting working in Rabat and it was amazing travelling during the weekends with the other volunteers, wonderful people that shared with me this experience.
Thank you for this experience, for having helped me when the things were hard and for having shared with me those beautiful moments.

Maybe the only thing to do is to find a balance between going out during the week and be safe

Madhuri
Mumbai, India.

Volunteering in Morocco

Volunteering for Childcare this week in Morocco has truly been an enriching and fulfilling experience. Separated by culture, tradition, country and language but united by joy, smile, inner kid and unconditional love. These kids send a reminder that it takes very little to be happy and just a hug to spread it all around.
Here's what I learnt from these less privileged yet more happy kids:
- We all have struggles, embrace them, they help us grow.
- We all have that 1 thing that makes us a child again, do that more.
- Its in our DNA to love every color and race, don't be otherwise told.
- We all throw a fit for what we don’t have, find another toy or another joy, let it go.
- We are all in a race not with each other but with ourselves, so if you fall down, dust it off, get up and try once more!
‪#‎BeYourOwnHero‬

The cost could be more affective.

Angelina
Reutlingen, Germany

Great time with Volunteering Solutions in Rabat

In Februar 2016 I had the great pleasure to teach a class of 14-years old students (the majority female) english.
When I arrived Ali, who is one of the coordinators for the project, help es me a lot to give me an orientation where the school is located, how to go there from the host family, where I can find the most beautiful places in Rabat and so on.
I really enjoyed the teaching project because I had to use all my creativity to prepare the lessons. Fortunately, I was able to teach bilingual (english and french), this helped me a lot for the first communication with the students because my class were really just beginners in english.
I can really advise you to make the Experiences of teaching self-responsible and free of any teaching plan you have to follow.
More over the program is much more than just the teaching itself.
It is also about learning a lot about the Islam, about the moroccan culture and way of living. In my adorable host family I e.g. learned to eat by hands, I was able to learn a lot about the procedures on the Pray-Fridays and a lot more..
Thank you very much VS that you offered me to have this great time in Morocco!

Nils
Germany, Cloppenburg

Amazing time in Rabat Teaching students.

I had an amazing time in Morocco. Living in the volunteer house Riad which was very great. I went on a trip with other volunteers where we became good friends and enjoye the time together.
The teaching project was hard but an incredible experience because I had the chance to see how a student develops.
I can also say that Volunteering Solutions was very helpful when it came to questions either via email or when we met their team in Morocco.

I would highly recommand this program to anyone who wants to have a great experience.

Katie
Birmingham, England
University of Worcester

Teaching English in Rabat

Volunteering in Morocco has been an amazing experience. Volunteering solutions/MCAS have been ensured that my self and my friend have been well looked after and teaching English to young children has not only developed me personally, but has inspired future adventures.

Volunteering Solutions have been supportive from the moment I decided to participate in a programme with them. They were more than happy for me to ask questions and always responded quickly. The pre departure guide aided my preparation for the programme, giving me advice on everything from what to take and what happens on my arrival in Morocco. Ali, our programme director in Rabat has been there to ensure our experience has been unforgettable. From meeting us at the airport, advising us on how to keep ourselves safe to recommending places to visit that match our interests, he ensures that every volunteer wants to return in the future.

Living with a Moroccan family has to be one of the highlights of the programme. It means that you are able to absorb yourself in Moroccan culture and understand their importance of family values. It also gives you the opportunity to meet other volunteers and learn about their home countries.

Teaching in a local school has been a valuable experience, for myself, the children and the teachers. It has even challenging at times, as the children understand very little English, but watching them develop over the past 2 weeks has been amazing. Even if they can't say the word, but can perform the action that represents that word, you know that they still understand and that you have taught them something. The children have enjoyed listening and getting involved with the story books myself and my friend brought from England, playing bingo and having the opportunity to experience a more creative approach to learning English. The teachers have also been supportive, helping us with behaviour management and they sit at the back and observe. Hopefully they will try some of our techniques in their own lessons.

Having the opportunity to explore Morocco whilst volunteering has been extremely exciting. Rabat is an ideal destination because there are so many interesting places to visit. It is also close to other cities such as Casablanca and with our free weekend we visited Marrakech, so we were able to immerse ourselves in much more than just the local area. If only we were here for longer so we could see more!

Overall, participating on a programme with Volunteering Solutions has been unforgettable.

It would be good if there were an aspect of the programme where volunteers could work with the teachers to improve their English teaching.

Leticia
Bilbao, Spain
University of Deusto

Volunteering Solutions Review

Last summer I went to Rabat by myself with Volunteering Solutions for 1 month. I didn't really expect much from the program, I just wanted to take part in a real and shocking experience which would turn my world around. And I found it. In Rabat I lived a live changing experience, which has made me feel lucky ever since and made me learn more things about myself. I also met wonderful people at the Orphanage and most important, I learned what it is like to dedicate yourself and your time to someone or a project, making my 4 week trip worthy as I made other people happy for just a few weeks. I also loved the city of Rabat and the other places in Morocco I went to with the other volunteers I met there. I specially loved the city of Chefchaouen, which I completely recomend to visit for a couple of days, and most of all, the trip to Sahara Desert stopping by at Merzouga for at least 3 days. I also recommend to women going to Rabat to volunteer to bring lots of long dresses or skirts if they make the trip during summer as it gets boiling and its hard and ridiculous to walk around in long trousers when its almost 35 degrees.

I recommend a higher control of the host families I stayed at, as i had a horrible and super hard time at one of the families I stayed with, as they treated me like an abandoned dog and gave me old food. luckily, after 10 hard days, the organization accepted to move me to another host family.

sabrina
england
University of Manchester

Teaching English in Rabat, Morocco

My volunteering experience teaching English in Rabat, Morocco was amazing. From living in the cultured, buzzing, authentic heart of the Medina to also teaching in a school in this Medina, that clearly appreciated us so much, was phenomenal.

My typical day started with a Moroccan breakfast provided by my "Moroccan Momma" who I became so attached to! It was always delicious, topped off with some fresh Moroccan Mint Tea. After this, I would make the short walk to the school I was walking at, seeing the morning buzz beginning with a "cockle doodle doo" from the local rooster!

Upon arrival, at 9am, the kids were always sat eager and excited waiting for you. This is where the fun and teaching English would begin. Each day we started off with warmer activities running through numbers, alphabet, days of the week, months of the year, and general vocabulary we were gradually teaching them. Each day we would teach different themes, such as animals, daily routine, food and colours.

My favourite time of the day would definitely be story time, whereby the children would get so excited and thrilled to hear a story. Its a great moment, capturing a whole class of children and engaging them into a story in a language that is not their native.

Teaching would end each day between 11:30-12:00(midday), giving us the rest of the day to explore Rabat. After class we would usually wander through the medina until lunch, at around 1. Lunch would be again provided by our warm, welcoming Moroccan host family. It would be different, authentic, Moroccan cuisine each day - and definitely fill me up until dinner!

Following lunch, over the two weeks I visited, alongside Katie, places such as Les Oudayas, Necrople de Chelle, Pais De Royal, Tour de Hassan and even Casablanca - where we visited the Mosque Hassan II. This was stunning. Generally, we walked and explored all of Rabat, and on the hottest days relaxed on Rabat Beach. Moroccan's are so welcoming and friendly - I have made loads of friends out there in just the two weeks that I was there.

On the weekend in the middle of the two weeks we were there, we visited Marrakesh! This was amazing, and one of the highlights of the trip. It was so different to Rabat, more touristy and westernised. It was an amazing experience seeing the Ourika Valley, Cascad, and generally exploring Marrakesh. The square was definitely buzzing with monkeys and snakes!

Ultimately, my two-week volunteering experience was amazing. I not only felt this warm, rewarding feeling of giving and teaching English to the children. But I also felt like Rabat gave me so much, it was amazing to see a whole different lifestyle, and completely immerse into that culture - through living with a host family, teaching in the local school and embracing the Moroccan cuisine! Ali our coordinator was helpful, and took us to some amazing local restaurants which was a pleasant change from the home-cooked food too!

I will never forget my two weeks in Morocco - and I intend to volunteer with Volunteering Solutions again in the future!

Sbrina
Manchester
University of Manchester

Teaching in Morocco

It is so difficult to put my experience here in Morocco Rabat down into words. But I will try. Since arrival on the first day and until now my second to last day I have felt so welcomed and at home. Firstly, Ali; the country director, was warm, understanding, cultured and approachable wich made my stay here safe and fun.

Secondly, the Moroccan host family we stayed with could not have made us feel more at home :) from beautiful Moroccan cuisine to advice to general laughter and comfort. I will miss them so much.

Staying and working in the heart of the medina was incredible ; at first it was somewhat culture shock; but a great one that I adapted to well! The school and the teaching experience here has been unforgettable and so rewarding. The teachers have been helpful, and the children were eager and appreciative. I feel I have had some impact on their lives through fun, teaching Englsh, actitvities and reading stories and it is a great feeling.

Whilst volunteering here, I feel I have gained so much experience memories and inspiration. I have eagerly immersed myself into the Moroccan culutre; visited places in Morocco such as Marrakech and Casablanca and ultimately I feel inspired to return to Morocco and also volunteer elswhere in the wolrd.

Volunteering Solutions has been amazing and I would recommand their program anyone else to come to Morocco and gain the experience that I have

Sbrina Samra

Cant think of any. Excpet I wish I could stay more

Sandra
Germany Hambergh

Childcare in Rabat wtih Volunteering Solutions

My experience was wonderful in Rabat. I have always felt comfortable and safe. It was a great exepreince and easy to get around from the host family to our project. The host family was very welcoming and very helpful.

I worked with with kids everyday and I was able to provide care and love; I played and danced with the kids everyday. We were shown the project during our orientation by Ali VS project director in Morocco. Ali was very helpful and always on the look out of taking care of us during our project.

I wish I could stay longer because I truly fell in love with the kids.

I travelled to Marrakech during one weekend which was amazing. Then we also went to Chefchouan the blue city with other volunteers. Whenever we needed help, we asked Ali who was more than helpful and happy to show us around all the time

For anyone who wants to dedicate their time with kids :)

Arsenij
Cologne, Germany

Wonderful

My time in morocco was beautiful. After a few mounths of returing, I have a very nice feeling when I am thinking about my time there. The cultural eхperience was great and I want to visit more arabic countres. Ali the coordinator is a great guy, he did a great job and after these months we still write eachother. The host families are also very nice. One of the fathers invited me to watch every football-match, to play with his friends football und to hang with him and his friends. I love Morocco and never will forget this time !

It would be better if you have more time in the project (school)

Cristina
Barcelona

volunteering in morrocco

It was some months ago when i went to morocco for a volunteering program but looking at my experience there in prespective i think it was amazing to have the oportunity of shearing all i lived with this NGO! My coordinators really helped me when i arrived with cultural shock, they made me feel confortable and useful and they where able to help me 24 hours.
More over, they organized social events to meet all the volunteers there and helped us to organize a 3 days trip which was really kind as we were safe all the time.
About my program there, it was amazing to teach there as kids, theachers, director and the other volunteerd were extraorfinary nice!
Futhermore, my host family and house mates were nice, too. Everything was clean, meats organized and i could comunicate with my host mum in french!
So i think it was an unforgeteable experience and.it wouldn't has been possible without my NGO and coordinators Samia and Ali!

Volunteering Solutions started its operations in 2007 and has sent over 12500 volunteers abroad, and now has projects in more than 30 destinations across Asia, Latin America and Africa. Volunteering Solutions is dedicated to providing authentic, reasonably priced and meaningful volunteer programs around the world,