Volunteer Abroad Project Placements in Morocco with MCAS

Volunteer Abroad Project Placements in Morocco with MCAS

The Moroccan Center for Arabic Studies is an active community organization throughout the Medina and greater Rabat-Sale area. A city of 2 million, there are always places for volunteer activities, for students wishing to donate their time and effort to improving the city as well as their Arabic.

Volunteering options include Childcare where volunteers work with special needs children and children from disadvantaged neighborhoods through organizing and engaging in activities to entertain the children and enable them to develop cognitive abilities. Volunteers design activities for the children each day and these activities include physical development activities (music and movement, toys and games) language and literature, arts and craft (painting and drawing), and theatre. The aim is for volunteers to provide these underprivileged children with new enriching and exciting activities or teach English to kids and women as well on programs of human rights and women;s empowerment

Africa » Morocco » Rabat
Africa » Morocco
1 Year+
Guesthouse
Volunteers will have to pay for their home stays. Please refer our website for more information.

Caroline
USA
University of Florida

Summer in Morocco

I've just spent five weeks volunteering in Rabat, Morocco through MCAS and I can honestly say it's been one of the best experiences I've ever had!! From the minute I stepped out of airport I had people looking out for me and making sure I felt safe and comfortable. The kindness of the Moroccan people was something I continued to see and will never forget. I stayed with a host family coordinated through the program and they instantly made me feel at home, welcoming me as one of their own. The next day I met up with Jihane and Ali, the program coordinator and director. They were so friendly and answered all of my questions and concerns, and they gave us a great orientation to Rabat and Morocco in general. The next day I began work at the Lalla Meryem Center. Volunteering here was something I can barely describe with words. The children are all so unique and beautiful, and the workers are some of the most incredible people I've ever met. It was a fantastic place to volunteer. In addition to work, I was able to travel around Morocco on the weekends. I visited Merrekech and Mezrouga( the Sahara Desert), Chefchaouan (the blue city), and Asilah. Each of these places was fascinating and beautiful in its own way, and with these travels I was able to see a lot of the different sceneries that Morocco has to offer. I traveled with friends I've made through the program, amazing people who came to Morocco with open minds and a desire to adventure. Overall, this was one of the best summers of my life, and I will never forget the experiences I've had in Morocco. I have MCAS to thank for all of the opportunities to grow and learn, and the friendships to cherish. I would highly recommend this program to anybody, thank you MCAS!!!!

I loved it, everything was great!

Craig
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Cedarville University

Unforgettable Experience with MCAS

I had a wonderful experience with MCAS. I taught English at a school for two weeks during the summer to about 12 students. I got experience teaching and learned so much my doing so. I also took some private Modern Standard Arabic lessons on the side with a very qualified and intelligent professor. The staff at MCAS is so friendly, helpful, and professional. They do everything they can to make you feel safe and comfortable. I had so many questions going into the experience, and they always were glad to answer them right away. MCAS really knows what they're doing, and I would definitely recommend you to them if you are looking for an experience abroad.

Lydia
Vail

Parting Ways

It’s hard to imagine that people can get very close in the span of just two weeks. Yet, I have settled into a routine and way of life here that is going to be beyond difficult to leave behind. At this point, I am conditioned to expect the hugs and kisses from our students every morning before we start class. It is now easy to tell the dynamic of the class as a whole while still understanding the individual personalities of every student. Having spent two weeks with many of my students last year, as well as the two weeks here, I feel so invested in their lives and their futures that it’s hard to believe that I will leave them when tomorrow comes. This class has become my world for two whole weeks, making it easy to fall in love with them and learn a great deal about them. Each and every student and member of MCAS is important to me, making up a class and a group that is already a small family.
One of the people that I admire most and who constantly amazes me is the director here in Morocco, Ali. He does most of his work quietly and without complaining, so it can be difficult to notice just how much he actually does at times. Ali coordinates so many things including aspects of the classrooms we teach in, all of the home visits, excursions, and more. Yet, when he is around us, he is nothing but smiles and support for what we’re doing. Since most of the work that he does is behind the scenes, I can’t always see the extents that he goes to in order to help make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. Having grown up in similar situations to the children at Abde Salan Sayah School, he feels an unbreakable connection to them. Ali will work tirelessly to ensure that the students at the school get the most that they can out of this experience. As with the actions of many Moroccan people, the work that Ali does and his drive to help the children at Abde Salan Sayah are both admirable and subtly beautiful.
As our group continued to do home visits this week, I visited the home of Aya and Kawtar who are twins. Though neither girl is in my class, they seemed extremely excited for us to come into their home and meet their family. Their father and mother greeted us with kind smiles and many words of welcome. From the moment we met the parents, it was clear how proud they were of their two daughters. Both mother and father kept showing us pictures and videos of the girls while discussing their many accomplishments. Aya and Kawtar’s father had a job with United Nations and was able to speak English most of the time we were there. It was very interesting because each member of the family was full of questions about America, Children’s Global Alliance, our education, and why we were teaching. We answered any questions they had and even talked about what the two girls would do in the future. The entire family was so inquisitive and so full of humor, I found myself being reminded of my own family. Their family was so amazing, it was obvious how much they loved their daughters and I was extremely lucky to have met them.
Soon after, I had another home visit with one of my most quiet yet sweet students, Chaymae. She greeted us outside along with her best friend, Aya, who is also in my class. It came as no surprise that they wanted to experience a home visit together since the two are inseparable in class. Chaymae led us into her grandparents’ house where we were introduced to her mother and baby sister. After discussing the timidness of Chaymae and the challenges that might pose, I assured her mother that Chaymae was extremely intelligent and had a huge mind. The conversation took a turn when we began talking about family and mentioned Chaymae’s father. As soon as he was brought up, Chaymae’s mother seemed to become slightly more closed off. She explained that their marriage had been arranged and that Chaymae’s father was a very severe and narrow-minded man who was gone often. Though many things remained unsaid, we learned that Chaymae, her little sister, and her mother often lived in the grandparents’ house instead of their own home. Chaymae explained that family was very important to her because aunts, uncles, and cousins often visit the home for family get-togethers. The longer we sat in the home, the more I realized how similar Chaymae and her mother were in their mannerisms and tendencies. Even their personalities were very similar with both mother and daughter being very soft spoken and kind. The experience with Chaymae’s family was unlike any other home visit I’ve gone on and it gave me insight into the friendship of my two students. It made me realize that Aya in Chaymae will help each other in school while also supporting one another through any struggles that may come in life. Their friendship is extremely strong, and it makes me happy to see that they are such a good support system for one another.
With every home visit comes a completely new and unexpected experience. After every home visit, I walk out with an absolutely new perspective and it’s almost as though a tiny string has been drawn between me and the children. Especially in the cases like Chaymae where an unexpected aspect of the student’s life is revealed, there is an added connection that is unmistakably strong. Such a connection can only really emerge when these students invite us into their homes, treat us as family, and give us a glimpse into a side of their lives that we wouldn’t see otherwise.
Through the week in class, we continued to have the students learn lessons while also creating their books. I’m so impressed by their creativity and determination while writing their stories. Each and every book is different and every story seems to reflect the individual personalities of the students. Some of the more serious children like Fatima Zahara, Malak, Chaymae, and Aya wrote stories about their lives or about the lives of other people. Amina is extremely smart and wrote her story about going to a museum in London. Other students that are silly and funny have written stories about animals on adventures, ghosts, movies, princesses, and even one about a golden fish. It amazes me how their books have turned out as the students had to use their English skills along with a high level of imagination. When I announce that the children have time in class to work on their stories, they cheer and quickly pull out their books. When I first came up with the idea to create books in class, I never thought that the kids would be so excited or that they would work so hard to make them perfect. Soon the kids will present what they have made; culminating all the hard work they’ve done over the past two weeks.
Now, the final day looms ahead of me and I can hardly believe how fast the experience passed by. It’s heartbreaking when the students in my class ask when I’ll be coming back next year and I have to tell them that I won’t be able to teach them again. Parting with them seems almost impossible because the time spent with the different students over the past few years has allowed me to develop an all-encompassing love for them. It feels like I’ve watched some of them grow in both English and as humans. Even those who I met just this year have imprinted themselves in my mind and soul. It may seem impossible to let my students go at this time, but I have done it before and I know that saying goodbye is inevitable. When we finally part ways, both the kids and I will have to continue on, changed by each other. MCAS and Abde Salan Sayah is my home, with the kids and staff offering enough love to last a lifetime.

Austin
Rabat, Morocco

Trip Review

This experience was life changing. MCAS allowed for me to travel to Rabat, Morocco to volunteer. The trip ran smoothly and those who helped organize this trip, MCAS, really knew what they were doing! They were friendly, welcoming, and flexible. I couldn't have imagined working with better people! I would definitely recommend working with MCAS if you would like to study arabic abroad, volunteer, or intern in Morocco! MCAS will help you achieve all of your goals, as well as support you as you along the way!
Wether you study, volunteer or intern you will get to see a magical place. This place is filled with lovely people, who make up a beautiful culture. You will form a deep connection with the community after you have become a part of it. The love that you will have for this place will be waiting for you until you get there!

No it was perfect!

Eva
the Netherlands

geweldige ervaring engelse les geven (great experience giving English lessons)

Translation:
I've done a month last summer volunteering through MCAS, which I also received two-hour Arabic lessons. The first 3 weeks I have been teaching English to girls of around 12 years since the project was last below I helped last week in an orphanage. My experience with MCAS was very good, I've done more often courses and volunteering in other countries, but never had such good support. I could always ask anything with the project / school owner and he was always ready to help and make it myself. I would first instance but one week teaching (because the project then stopped for the summer) and then three weeks to work in the orphanage, but because I loved teaching so much he had arranged for me anyway this could continue. In teaching myself, I got completely released and there was not really a program or method that had followed the children in terms of English, so I had to improvise a lot, they also had no books or anything. But that made it a fun challenge and I noticed just for me that I came up with many creative solutions and finally I certainly feel that I've made up their level of English. I also lived in the student residence with many other volunteers and people who followed Arabic lessons or walked internship. The house was very nice with good facilities and every morning and evening we ate all together, very cozy, there was in fact cooked for us! And on weekends I usually went to travel to other cities with the other students. I can recommend this project, anyone is intrested wants to do in Moroccan culture or volunteering with children. MCAS here is a very good and helpful organization that hard to do their best to make everything to your liking.

Original Review in Dutch:
Ik heb afgelopen zomer een maandje vrijwilligerswerk gedaan via MCAS, waarbij ik daarnaast ook 2 uur per dag Arabische lessen kreeg. De eerste 3 weken heb ik Engelse les gegeven aan meisjes van rond de 12 jaar en omdat dit project hierna was afgelopen heb ik de laatste week meegeholpen in een weeshuis. Mijn ervaring met MCAS was erg goed, ik heb al vaker taalcursussen en vrijwilligerswerk gedaan in andere landen, maar nog nooit zo'n goede begeleiding gehad. Ik kon altijd alles vragen met de projectleider/schooleigenaar en hij stond altijd klaar om te helpen en het naar mijn zin te maken. Ik zou bijvoorbeeld eerst maar 1 week lesgeven (omdat het project daarna stopte vanwege de zomer) en daarna 3 weken in het weeshuis gaan werken, maar omdat ik het lesgeven zo leuk vond had hij ervoor gezorgd dat ik toch hiermee door kon gaan. Bij het lesgeven zelf werd ik wel helemaal vrij gelaten en er was ook niet echt een programma of methode wat de kinderen hadden gevolgd qua Engels, dus ik moest veel improviseren, ze hadden ook geen boeken of iets. Maar dat maakte het voor mij juist een leuke uitdaging en ik merkte dat ik met veel creatieve oplossingen kwam en uiteindelijk heb ik zeker wel het idee dat ik hun niveau Engels omhoog heb gehaald. Verder woonde ik in de studentenresidentie met veel andere vrijwilligers en mensen die Arabische lessen volgden of stage liepen. Het huis was erg mooi met goede faciliteiten en ook iedere ochtend en avond aten we met z'n allen, erg gezellig, er werd namelijk voor ons gekookt! En in het weekend ging ik meestal reizen naar andere steden met de andere studenten. Ik kan dit project iedereen aanraden die geintresseerd is in de Marokkaanse cultuur of vrijwilligerswerk met kinderen wil doen. MCAS is hierbij een zeer goede en behulpzame organisatie, die hard hun best doen om alles naar jouw wens te maken.

Nicole
Edwards, Colorado

Amazing Experience in Morocco

Couldn't have asked for a better time volunteering in Morocco! With MCAS, our group did amazing work in Morocco and got to learn about Moroccan culture at the same time. Ali and Jihane were very accommodating and made sure that we experienced as much of Rabat as possible. Our time teaching at Abdasalam Saya was incredible and I wish it lasted longer! We made lifelong connections in Rabat and with Ali, Jihane, and our translators at MCAS and I hope I get the chance to go back someday!

Scout
Orlando, FL
University of Florida

Loved MCAS!!!!

I am a 19 year old student at the University of Florida and have never been out of the United States. I was really inspired to go abroad and volunteer and my parents were naturally tentative. Through a mutual friend we found MCAS and I was able to volunteer in an orphanage with disabled children- I've always loved kids and I am pre-med but this was the most hands on and rewarding experience I've ever had. Morocco was a perfect place for me to go because it had the perfect amount of culture shock. My host family spoke English and were so welcoming- I loved them! I arrived very nervous about what the trip would hold and left very in love with Morocco, the children, all of my new friends, and the experience! The program directors helped me with everything from meeting other volunteers to planning trips and always made me feel very comfortable. They had an office close to my work space and I was able to visit often and ask as many questions as I wanted. I would highly recommend going through MCAS and enjoying everything Morocco has to offer.

Alia
Birmingham, England
Aston University

Until next time MCAS...

So this is the second time I've come back to MCAS after being here this time last year. The fact that I have returned to the same place speaks volumes in itself. I previously volunteered in an orphanage but this year have volunteered in a kindergarten and learned Modern Standard Arabic also. The experience was like no other. Living the culture and learning the language has no comparison when doing so in such a setting. My teacher was incredible and very very patient and even within a short three week period, I am able to hold a conversation (albeit broken!) in Arabic. Staying in a riad with the other volunteers is a key part of the experience as you get to live the full Moroccan lifestyle and sample their delicious food. There are many places to visit in addition to Rabat and the staff are extremely helpful in aiding travelling plans as well as everything else. I genuinely have no complaints about MCAS and am already planning my next trip in the autumn! :)

No complaints!

Thaddius
Salt Lake City, Utah
University of Utah

Once Again, Perfect!

Once again, the experience was fantastic. This year, the youngest participant in the group was 12 years old. He came nervous and a bit shy (he is from California and had never been to Morocco) of course. On our way down to the Sahara, a ten hour drive, he was pretty quiet. As we arrived at our dusty, but very authentic tent/hotel, he was approached by Rachid, a fellow 12 year old and nearby neighbor. Rachid and our 12 year old Oliver rounded up a soccer ball and played a few games of one on one over the next two days. Although words were not exchanged, lessons on cultural understanding Im sure will follow the both of them for the rest of their lives. It was nice to see.

Well, if I had to change one item it would be....more food because it is always the highlight of the day!!!

Antonio
Los Angeles, CA
Loyola Marymount University

Wonderful Introduction to Morocco.

MCAS was definitely an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime (though I wish to go back!) opportunity to not just see a country for it's beauty as a tourist, but to immerse oneself with the culture and people and to do meaningful work in the community. Studying a language has never been less dry and the stakes are raised by putting you in sometimes challenging situations that require real cross-cultural interaction. The feeling of accomplishment that you walk away from MCAS with is something rarely found at the end of vacation. Your time with MCAS will definitely be a break from whatever your current life is, but it will not be a vacation removed from the realities of Morocco. It will be a crash course to modern life in Morocco and you will not only learn some Arabic, but much about Moroccan culture, society, and people, and by doing so a lot about yourself. MCAS staff treat you like family and are the embodiment of hospitality. You will never forget your time in Morocco.

I think perhaps more variety of language-learning activities would be great, and in our particular case more time directly working with Refugee issues would have been awesome.

Chiara
London

Childcare with MCAS

The whole experience made possible by MCAS was wonderful, as it gave me the chance to do some arabic courses and voluntary work whilst really living the Moroccan life. The staff and especially the program director were very helpful all the time and really made me understand what it means to be living in Morocco. I think the whole organisation of the program - from the voluntary work, the arabic courses, and living with a Moroccan family - is a very nice idea and offers the best kind of experience for anyone who is eager to get to know a new culture, a country or a new language. In fact, what I liked most was exactly this - eating with a Moroccan family, living in the medina of Rabat, talking with the host family and not feeling like a complete tourist!

Regarding the Arabic classes, I enjoyed them a lot. Although Arabic is a very difficult language, the teacher was very patient kind and good. I only did one week of one-to-one classes but I would have definitely done more if I could have. The teacher was also very helpful in giving me advice on what I need to do if I really want to learn it, and it was very nice to talk with him daily.

I will always remember this experience as beautiful, helpful, and unique. I would definitely have stayed longer if I could have, but I am glad that I have made the necessary contacts to go back in the future, because I would love to. Morocco is an amazing country but I believe it was MCAS that enabled me to live it in the best way possible.

. Chiara

Thank you MCAS, I hope I will be back soon

Thaddius
Salt Lake City, Utah
University of Utah

A truly amazing experience with MCAS

MCAS provided a truly unforgettable experience. Not only were my wife and I satisfied with the program this past summer, we are returning again next year to contunue our Moroccan Adventure.
While in Rabat, my wife and I were able to live with a very welcoming and warm Moroccan family. They received us with smiles, dinner and a flurry of questions abotu what we wanted to do in Morocco (and tea, always tea). We had a pretty long laundry list of things we HAD to do.
First, my wife had to learn how to cook at least one traditional dish, which the homestay mother was more than excited to teach her. Second, I wanted to buy traditional clothing and shop in the medina. MCAS made this possible by giving us a guided shopping experience and ensuring that we were being treated fairly at every corner.
I would go on, but there were so many things were did in such a short amount of time and I do not want to bore everyone. Of course, all of this was organized by the wonderful staff of MCAS and their dedication to the achieving of our goals.

Special thanks goes to Ali and his wonderful staff who made this journey unforgettable.

Tasneem
Manchester
University of Liverpool

Childcare in Rabat

I have volunteered for the childcare programme with MCAS, this program has involved working with children with a range of needs in orphanage. In addion to this, I have also worked at a local school which entailed teaching English to children.

I had chosen this programme because it met my needs. Also, the programme provided me with an authentic Moroccan traditional home stay which was fantastic, and allowed me to have that exotic experience that I was looking for. The host family accommodates to your needs, and makes you feel comfortable and a part of their family.

MCAS has gone above their needs to assist me in my goals in volunteering and travelling through out Morocco What is more, the staff has continuously stayed in touch with me and provided support through out my 9 weeks stay.

Furhter more, as a girl I have felt safe and secure all times, and if there was any issues, I was always provided with the means to contact MCAS. I thought it was amazing when MCAS called for gatherings with fellow volunteers, students and interns. This allowed us to make life friendships, and make new contacts and have a supportive travel companions.

I though that Rabat had manythings to offer. such as, the tourist sites, the souq, the medina and much more.

Over all, I feel very grateful for this opportunity and I feel that my goals have been achieved through this programme.

None.

Lori
Baltimore, Maryland
University of Michigan

Arabic in Rabat at MCAS

I enjoyed taking the calligrqphy class and got a good foundation to build upon to continue the stylized writing. My Arabic lessons reinforced what I learned and helped me to identify areas that I needed to work on.

I could not have asked for more. The staff were very helpful. My host family offered me a good room in a wonderful house next to the school. I thought the food was good and very tasty.

I can not thank enough Ali, Chaimaa, Abdesallam and Omar who were so sweety and nice in helping me with my program.

I would highly recommand this program to anyone who wants to learn Arabic in an Arabic culture that never seizes to amaze.

Kira
Germany

Great Arab language course

I took a one week one to one Arab language course. The staff was friendly and competent, I had a friendly host family situated directly in the city center and a very motivating learning experience. I recommend the course particularly not only for beginners, but also to people who already have some background.

offer group excursions, stuff that is difficult to organize as a tourist

Aja
Italy

A great opportunity to explore

I have come to know about MCAS through a friend of mine who has volunteered wth them last summer. I was amazed how organized the program was from the very beginning to the end.

The Staff were very helpful and ready to help whenever we needed assisstance with our project placements or our host families. My friend and I have asked to be placed in the same host family and we volunteered in the childcare program.

It was the best decision that I have ever made in my life to come to a country that had so much to offer. I cant not wait to come back next summer with a group of our school friends.

Thank you Samia, Ali and Abdselam for the wonderful experience you gave us.

Emily
Memphis, TN
Rhodes College

Summer in Morocco

Morocco is a very different, but absolutely wonderful place! The host family MCAS placed me with was incredible--they are some of the most genuine and welcoming people I've ever met, and I truly felt at home with them.
I originally came to work in Women's Empowerment, but it didn't really work out with the organization that I was with, and that was disappointing but luckily I was then moved and placed teaching at a school, and it was a great experience teaching such enthusiastic young girls.
The best advice I could give to someone coming is to know what you want to get out of the experience, be very open-minded and willing to try new things, and don't be afraid to take initiative if you want something done.

Andrea
Edinboro, PA
Edinboro University

Success and Safety

Traveling to Morocco to do service work in an orphanage was our initial goal. To this end, we were very successful and felt like out work was meaningful and helpful. That we were safe and looked after by MCAS was evident from the moment of our arrival. Our host family connection was excellent and that same sense of care and safety was apparent from the host family as well.

I would recommend more opportunities to work with very young children in an orphanage setting and also more of a variety of opportunities to teach English.

Cathleen
Tallahassee, Florida
Florida State University

MCAS Review

My arrival to Morocco was a challenge. It was nothing that I could relate to. Morocco is an Islamic country, therefore, religion is their number one priority. This can be heavily witnessed throughout the city. With five prayer calls throughout the days, it was difficult to adjust with my surroundings. Being an American, I got many stares and comments as I walked through out the city. After a while, I started to ignore such compliments but it was overwhelming at first. I highly suggest that any one considering Morocco as their volunteer destination to research their customs and practices. So, when you arrive not everything will be as much of a surprise.

While working at the orphanage, I would walk about 10 minutes to my placement. During my first 2 weeks I volunteered with the handicapped kids. I would bathe, clothe, feed, and play with the kids. I was finished by 1 pm. Afterwards, I helped with the newborn babies. This experience was a little different because I did not have the language barrier challenge with the babies. however, with the nurses I did. I was able to meet incoming volunteers as well.

Even though program is well put together, I would recommend more volunteer gatherings. During my time, I only meet other volunteers once and my friendship with them was short lived. If I had met them earlier, I know my time in Morocco would have been a little different because I would have friends in which are experiencing similar things as me. Being able to talk about my experience with others is a great way to overcome difficult challenges one may experience while trying to adjust to the Moroccan experience.

Lucia
Spain
University of California- Los Angeles

Volunteering, learning Arabic and travelling with MCAS

I have been living for a month in Rabat, Morocco, with a family in la Medina. During my time here I did volunteer work, I learnt Arabic and I travelled.

Volunteer was a new experience for me, but I do not regret doing it at all. Working with kids has been a really incredible experience. Sometimes it was hard to prepare activities but I always had the help of my coordinators, Samia and Ali, to be able to print or to speak with the local teachers in the school.

Also, I have been learning Arabic and I am more than happy with my teacher, Abdusalam. He has been really patient with me and I think I learnt as much as I could in one month thanks to him. Also he had interest in teaching me what I wanted to learn and also made me work hard in reading.

Finally, I had three weekends off, so I used that free time to travel. I went with some other volunteers to the desert and the experience was amazing but the trip was too long for just a weekend, anyway riding a camel was one of the things I wanted to do in here.

Anon
london, UK

Fantastic experience!!

Myself and 4 of my friends volunteered in an orphanage in Rabat for a week. Having spoken extensively in depth with the MCAS director, Ali, before hand he assured us that we would be in safe hands and that the trip would be extremely worthwhile; suffice to say he kept his word.

Ali collected us from the airport, organised an orientation day and also provided us with an itinerary which included local site seeing etc. Ali and his assistant were extremely helpful and were at hand 24/7; we had a few initial hiccups with the host family on the first day which Ali was quick to sort out.

The host family were fantastic and very loving; we felt as though we were family by the end of the week. Credit goes to Ali and his stuff for placing us with a superb family who took very good care of us.

The orphanage was a phenomenal experience which I would urge anyone who is considering going to Rabat to visit and help out I the orphanage. it was a very grounding week for us.

Overall, the experience was amazing! I would strongly recommend this trip to everyone. we will definitely be returning in the near future and will keep in contact with Ali.

Thank you so much for an outstanding experience Ali and thank you so much for your help and support. Prior to our visit we had been in contact with Ali for many weeks; he showed us the host family and guided us step by step on what to do( this was our first volunteering trip). MCAS is a very well organised company which met our expectations and should take pride in its work for others.

Please give this organisation a go, legit you wont regret it :)

There was nothing that was of significant problem with the program, however if you do have specific needs then you should notify Ali with them. Also, I would recommend that you contact Ali via Skype before flying out.

Anon
London

Volunteering in Rabat for one week

I found the whole experience very rewarding and unique. Staying with the host family was extremely fun and an experience that I would love to do again. Overall the whole trip was great and I will definitely be visiting Morocco for more volunteering in the future.

I I could change one thing I would have liked more interaction and support from the coordinators throughout the week.

Chandritnalji
London, United Kingdom

Orphanage Work in Rabat

The experience, on the whole, was very enlightening and welcoming. The support from the staff was great and the trip was very well organised. The work at the orphanage was great and I look forward to visiting Rabat as well as the orphanage in the near future!

Kaleigh
Boston Massachusetts, U.S.A
Worcester State University

Volunteering Abroad in Morocco

Volunteering abroad with the Moroccan Center for Arabic Studies was an enriching and eyeopening experience. The staff is very helpful and the host family I stayed with truly made me a part of their family. I would highly suggest MCAS for anyone who wishes to study Arabic or volunteer in Morocco.

Ryan
Harvard University

Arabic Language Program

I spent three months in Rabat learning Arabic and was placed with an exceptional teacher who took my proficiency to the next level. I was so impressed with her patience, but also her willingness to invite me to her home to meet her family, to show me new places to eat and hang out in Rabat, and even to give me a cooking class on Moroccan cuisine. I highly recommend Arabic language classes through MCAS, and as long as you are clear and up front with the instructor you are assigned about what you want to get out of the experience (in my case it was speaking proficiency, so I asked my teacher to allow me to speak as much as possible), I think they will try their best to accommodate you and go above and beyond - as most Moroccans do.

Donya
New York
Abat Oliba CEU University

Dynamic, Professional, Trustworthy

I came to Study Arabic in Morocco with MCAS because of my friend who has studied with them. During my time; I felt very safe and well accommodated by my host. I learned a lot during this period and my Arabic level became so good thanks to the proficient teachers.

During the weekends, we were able to travel on trips with fellow students and volunteers to Marrakech, Fez, Mekness, Tangier and Chefchaouna. I thought it was the most amazing part of the program because it allowed me to explore the country and meet new people.

My overall idea about MCAS is that it is a great organization and I would definitely recommand it to anyone who is interested in doing an Arabc immersion abroad program.

Tommy
Blacksburg, Virginia
University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign

Great experience in Morocco!

I had a wonderful experience in Morocco filled with learning and life- changing cultural exploration. MCAS really nurtured and helped my group of students enjoy Morocco in many ways. I recommend that everyone use MCAS for their trip Morocco!!

Adrienne
Northern US
Michigan State University

MCAS Review

I spent two months in Rabat, Morocco studying Arabic with the Moroccan Centre for Arabic Studies. The homestay was wonderful and the classes were very productive. I also enjoyed the volunteer and travel opportunities.

medina1
Florida State University

Summer in Morocco

I volunteered in Rabat through MCAS and my host family experience was great; i had a wonderful cultural experience. That being said, I had a rather sour end to m stay. Although the MCAS director was attentive to my concerns, he seemed more interested in bringing more people in rather than helping the students who were already there. I later found out that he was trying to get students to make large money transfers for him through their own personal bank accounts, and he would pay them back in cash. It just seemed like a very unprofessional procedure.

Near thoe end of my stay, another volunteer and I were walking in Rabat at night and she was mugged, her purse almost stolen and she was severely shaken and scratched up (the attacker tried to choke her with the strap of the purse). The MCAS director called to check up after the situation, but she did not receive any further support from him except for the phone call.

There was some miscommunication with my host family (I don't speak Moroccan Arabic and they spoke little English) and we counted on the director to accurately transmit our concerns and clear up the situation. However, things only became worse, the host family became very upset with me and another intern living in the same house, and the director exhibited extremely unprofessional behavior. He refused to speak with me, speaking of the matter with past interns and not directly with me to address the situation (only through email/facebook, where there is ample room for misinterpretation). I finally showed up at his office and we were able to sort things out, only after a couple of frustrating, distressful days.

Finally, when I was about to leave Morocco, I needed a taxi to the airport. the MCAS director offered to arrange a cab for me, telling me it would cost 500 MAD (about $60 USD). To me that sounded way too high for an airport 4 miles away, and a local told me that the cost was no more than 200MAD (about $23 USD). I told him I would arrange my own ride and I never heard from him again, and did not even receive my certificate of completion that I had been promised upon finishing the program.

Morocco is a beautiful land filled with ancient history and wonders, and I would definitely recommend visiting, just not through MCAS. The unprofessionalism of the program really soured the end of my stay and I would never want to have that experience again.

Response from Moroccan Center for Arabic Studies

Hi Pamella,

Thank you for your comment again. You know what they say; a customer is always right, have we thought that this was a legitimate feedback from you, we would have accepted it and responded to you in a proper and professional manner.

But we are obliged to just say that your entire story is made up. You lied to us, to your parents and to your host family. You put us in a very compromising situation. You said it was a mere issue, while you could have been courteous enough to state that you sent us an email in which you said you were not getting enough food.

We addressed that accordingly and we were shocked to hear that you lied to us about that when we spoke to your host.We never refused to talk to you because we take deep pride in serving our customers and making sure that all their needs are being met from the get go till the end of their program. We think that we did the best we could to make sure all went smoothly for you. We addressed your issue the moment I myself, the director came to your host and had a meeting with you and your host family together.

The night when that problem happened to Margo, we tried to reach out to you by phone as we were told by your host. We called the other intern and again we think we did all the necessary measures for a person visiting Morocco to remain safe. Besides, during orientations, you are advised to not go out very late. You were there around 11.30pm.

Now regarding the taxi, any taxi that would take you from our office to our school to the airport costs MAD 250, one way and not MAD 200. When you first arrived, you never paid us that amount and we asked you to pay us back the MAD 250 which you owe it till now. We think that this makes perfect sense why we asked for MAD 500.

Now that you brought this up to our attention again, we suggest thank you stop asking fake people to write fake reviews about us. Had we been so bad to our customers; we would not be the leading language school today in North Africa.

Good luck

MCAS is an Arabic language center committed to teaching Arabic as a foreign language so as to serve as a window into the culture of any Arabic speaking country.

Our mission is to make sure that the Arabic courses taught at MCAS will enable our