GVI: Construction Volunteering

GVI: Construction Volunteering

Embark on a volunteer trip to the exotic country of Costa Rica for the adventure of a lifetime!
Explore volunteering opportunities in this country that boasts amazing ecosystems and the true “pura vida” lifestyle and culture! Our sustainable projects in this stunning country are focused around community development and wildlife conservation. Let us help you make a crucial difference in these useful ways:

- Track the illusive jaguar through the rainforests
- Teach disadvantaged children English, Art or Sport
- Volunteer on sustainable construction projects, or
- Help preserve the unique biodiversity that calls Costa Rica home for future generations

Enjoy our 360 degree support, develop your career opportunities and make a worthwhile difference in this charming Central American country!

Volunteer on sustainable construction projects around the world and help lay the foundations that will set up basic infrastructure in developing communities for years to come. We offer constructions projects in a variety of locations:

• Fiji: This dynamic volunteer opportunity offers you a chance to assist with key infrastructure construction projects, set up community based income-generation initiatives, and volunteer in local schools in Fiji.
  • Nepal: Volunteer to improve the lives of the local communities by building and renovating basic infrastructure and educational facilities. Discover the wonder of this mountainous and culturally rich country in your free time.
  • India: Assist on projects addressing basic needs such as building eco-toilets, home repairs, other construction projects or renovating schools and playgrounds to make them suitable, conducive learning environments.
Oceania » Fiji
Asia » Nepal
Asia » India
Project Types

Luke
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Keele University

The best time of my life

GVI Fiji is a fantastic organisation. The staff are really friendly and helpful, and you feel like they're one of you, as they get involved in all the activities and goings-on of the volunteers. The unique thing about this programme is that you are literally immersed in the culture of Silana, a rural, coastal Fijian village, as GVI's base is actually within the village. The villagers are all really welcoming and fully support what GVI are trying to achieve, and walking around the village it is very rare not to be invited into someone's house for Fijian tea, which always involves lots of sugar and cakes!
Whether it is the education or the construction programme (I had experience of both as my time over there coincided with the school holidays), the programmes are effective. It is such a rewarding programme and you really feel like you are making a difference to people's lives, and they show their gratitude for that in a big way. I would fully recommend this programme to anyone, go on, get yourself immersed in Fijian culture!

Abby

Best Experience of My Life

If you look at my YouTube video link: 'Meet Silana Village' on my channel (1000Kazoos) you'll be able to watch a blog I made during the last few days of my 10 week trip to Fiji. I've been speaking to my fellow ex-volunteers on how they talk about their experience with the villagers of Silana and the answer is that they find it hard. There are no words that can really express what Fiji, what GVI, what my new Fijian family means to me or possibly encapsulate how life changing these experiences have been. There is nothing I want more than to make a return to my second home on the other side of the world. So if you want to change your life and meet the best people in the world, go to Silana Village and volunteer with the best kids in the world, or do construction that will forever change the lives of this amazing community. I won't attempt to use my words to tell you about Silana, I'll fail miserably, but if you want to catch a glimpse hopefully my video can offer you some insight. Happy travels!

This may have already changed, but some of the equipment I was asked to bring with me was very unnecessary and came at the expense of more useful items such as t-shirts that were village appropriate.. Hopefully their equipment list has been changed by now as we made this clear to the staff and they were very receptive to our ideas.

Emma
London, UK
Imperial College London

First time away from home

I volunteered in South Africa in 2013 and Nepal in 2014.
Leaving home for the first time was terrifying, but GVI were very welcoming and looked after me from the word go, and I felt completely safe and happy the whole time I was there. Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen and I defy anyone to go without falling in love with the Western Cape. The children at the school were beautiful as well - I still remember all their names and the way they called everybody 'Teacha'. Adorable.
Nepal was also amazing (the scenery! the food!) and it being my second time out volunteering it was definitely a lot easier and I felt more secure.

The long and the short of it is - volunteering is one of the single most rewarding things you can do and I am hanging in there until I can go out and do some more of it. GVI are an excellent company to begin your career in charitable work and the only mistake I made with them is not booking for long enough!

I went out as a construction volunteer as I am an engineering student - construction volunteers can currently only go out for up to 4 weeks at a time, and I feel that I could have contributed a lot more if I had the opportunity to go out for longer.

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered