Volunteers with a passion for caring will be the perfect fit on one of IVHQ’s Elderly Care projects. You have the choice of working in a variety of environments across 5 program locations around the world. Volunteer work varies by location but can include recreation and stimulation, feeding, physical therapy, as well as help with cleaning and maintaining facilities.
Discover below 5 Elderly Care projects currently available to IVHQ volunteers. You can find more about these options on IVHQ's Elderly Care page.
- Argentina: Many senior citizens in Argentina find themselves in desperate situations due to limited access to work or housing, and breakdowns in family or social bonds. The Elderly Care project focuses on providing encouragement, protection and assistance to elders with limited resources, or those facing abandonment.
- Colombia - Bogota: There are a high rates of abandonment among the elderly, many of whom are left to fend for themselves on the streets of Bogota. IVHQ volunteers generally provide companionship, conversation, love, food, shelter, and medication.
- Guatemala: Volunteers on the Guatemala placement will be working at nursing homes and senior centers in and around La Antigua. The focus of these projects is to help create a compassionate and friendly atmosphere for the elderly.
- Sri Lanka: Volunteers on the Elderly Care project are placed in an elderly home that provides free accommodation and care for around 75 adults, who would otherwise have little or no support in their old age.
- Zambia: In Zambian culture, it is common for the elderly to move in with their family. Unfortunately, some senior citizens face abandonment if they have no family, or if their family is unable to provide for them. Volunteers focus on providing basic services at an elderly care facility.