Affordable Winter Volunteer Programs with IVHQ

Affordable Winter Volunteer Programs with IVHQ

International Volunteer HQ's affordable winter volunteer programs give you the opportunity to be immersed in a new culture, while gaining valuable life experience and making a positive contribution to a local community in over 30 destinations worldwide!

As an IVHQ volunteer, you can feel confident that you'll be in the company of like-minded volunteer travelers and you'll be well supported by our local team on any of IVHQ's winter break volunteer abroad programs.

Need help deciding on where to spend your winter break? Take a look at our 4 recommended winter volunteer programs currently available to IVHQ volunteers (click on "Visit Site" above).

• Cambodia: Right in the heart and heat of Asia, you'll find a country with some of the friendliest communities that you’ll ever come accross! What better way to experience the Khmer culture than by working within the communities, supporting Teaching, Childcare, or NGO Support volunteer projects?
  • Cusco, Peru: You'll have a hard decision on your hands when it comes to to choosing between the 10 meaningful projects. Volunteers on the Andean Immersion project will find themselves off the beaten track and experiencing a true adventure. Or volunteers can opt for the Jungle Conservation Project and live and work in the dense Amazonian jungle.
  • Spain: Volunteering in Europe is the perfect way to spend your winter, and Spain is a great base for volunteer travelers who are interested in incorporating a volunteer program with a winter Euro trip. Volunteering in Madrid, you can choose to join Teaching, After School Support or Special Needs Support projects.
  • Tanzania: With the Serengeti National Park and Zanzibar at your doorstep, Tanzania provides an exotic backdrop for international volunteers who want a big winter break far from home! Teaching volunteers work in public schools, teaching a variety of subjects to local students while Medical students and professionals can also join the Medical project, working in a variety of clinics and hospital settings.
South America » Peru

Austin
Mantachie, MS
University of Mississippi

Children as Mirrors

When I first decided to go to South Africa, I was so excited to learn and see the differences between our cultures and see what I could do help with the kids as well. After a few weeks of teaching, we entered winter holidays and worked with the Western Cape Department of Education where I got to teach kids kayaking! I had one kid named Ishmael who took his shoes off and stuck them in the water off one side of the kayak causing us to drag. "What are you doing Ishmael?" I asked. He told me that he loved the water and that he used to live near our volunteer placement in Muizenberg, but his family had to move to Lavender Hill away from the fun of surfing and the ocean and towards higher crime rates and the influence of gangsterism. Immediately, I thought back to my childhood when my parents had considered moving, but I begged them not to take me away from my forest where I had built so many trails. Ishmael and I are growing up 8,000 miles apart, but in so many ways we are just the same. Although, it is theoretically true that we are all human, it is so good to be truly confronted by that fact especially through Ishmael's feet on a kayak in a South African estuary in the shadow of a mountain.

The single most effective alteration I would suggest is to increase the size of the staff. This program is especially popular amongst IVHQers and with good cause, but due to the increased size of incoming cohorts, I feel that more staff would better accommodate the newest and least experienced travelers and help to ensure everyone's pleasure and safety.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Austin, What a beautiful review! Thanks for sharing this story from your time in South Africa; it is really hear-warming to read. It would be our pleasure to welcome you onto another IVHQ program in the future.

Diana
Delhi, India
Miami University

Slum Teaching in India

IVHQ has very affordable programs which is one of the reasons I chose this company. Traveling for the first time to India, it was extremely beneficial to go through a company. I honestly would be completely lost if I did not have the help of IVHQ and its staff. I participated in the Slum Teaching Program in India and it was the one of the best experiences I have had. I am a student and came here for three weeks during my winter break. I learned a lot and definitely grew from this experience. The program offered a fantastic orientation week that greatly prepared me for India and its culture. The language lesson was helpful and the sightseeing was spot on - my favorite places were Qutub Minar, Chandni Chowk and of course the Taj Mahal. I would definitely recommend to partake in the orientation week, even if you are only here for two weeks, it was well worth it. The program coordinators are very helpful and will go out of their way to help you with anything you need. My homestay was awesome and very comfortable. The Slum Teaching Project was extremely rewarding and the children were so sweet. I would definitely recommend this company and program to anyone.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Diana, It's nice to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommendations for IVHQ and our program in India. We hope to welcome you on another program again in the future.

Kaylee
Tampa, Florida

1 month well spent

As my first volunteer abroad program (and first time traveling alone for that matter), I had no idea what to expect from this experience. I never imagined I would enjoy it as much as I did! Since the day I arrived I felt at home. To begin with, the house is very spacious and the people who run the program/house are more than helpful and friendly (Lichi, Julio, Jose, Ariel, Quique). They truly want to make sure you make the best of your experience at the placement. The other volunteers are lovely and it's so easy to make friends. I personally think that the more volunteers, the better. There was a point during my stay that there were 30+ volunteers in the house and I actually enjoyed it! It's a good way to make good friends and keep yourself busy. The city of Córdoba itself is actually about a 45-60 minute bus ride from the house in Villa Allende but I didn't mind it much. There's also plenty to do in the center of Villa Allende which is about a 15 minute walk from the house. The volunteering itself was great. Only complain I have was paying for the taxi ride to and from placement every day but if you talk to Lichi about it she'll help you out in any way she can! I volunteered with healthcare at a clinic nearby in a town called La Calera and loved it! The doctors and nurses were extremely friendly and tried to include you in as much as possible. I've heard some good things about the other placements too. Besides volunteering, there's plenty to do. As far as nightlife goes, there's always at least one boliche (club) open every night of the week. They don't get good until around 2 AM and close around 5 AM. As for activities, there's many places in the province of Córdoba to go hiking (and swimming, I'm sure... But I went during winter). If you're making the long and costy commute to Argentina, I suggest you take some time to travel either during the weekend or after your volunteering. Argentina has much to offer for any type of traveler. Plus, you'll meet tons of people at the house to make travel plans with. All in all, I had the time of my life in argentina. I would recommend it to anyone who is passionate about volunteering and traveling! Already miss the house and everyone in it.

The only thing I would suggest is to update the travel budget per week that is found on the website. It says to expect to spend about $80 a week but I would change it to maybe $100-$120, and this is only if you don't plan to travel on the weekends. Also, future volunteers should be asked to learn at least a basic level of Spanish. It's not only helpful during volunteer placement but to get around the city in general.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kaylee, thanks for the recommendation! We are so glad that you loved your time in Villa Allende and that your first experience traveling alone was as enjoyable as it was. We hope that you join us on another INHQ program in the future!

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to