Affordable Environmental Projects with IVHQ

Affordable Environmental Projects with IVHQ

No matter what type of environment you are passionate about, IVHQ has got you covered. From marine to forest to jungle conservation, there are plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty and learn about taking care of the earth.

If pitching in on agriculture and farming is what interests you, there are also several countries with these types of projects. You can learn about what it takes to build a sustainable organic farm while providing local farmers with the support they need. This can have a huge impact in the community.

Specific tasks and duties are dependent on which type of project you choose, the country you choose, and the season you arrive at the project. Read over the options below and inquire further on the IVHQ website.

• Bali: Programs begin every first and third Monday and last 1-12 weeks and include environmental education and turtle conservation.
  • Costa Rica: Programs begin every first and third Monday and last 1-12 weeks and include eco-agriculture conservation and turtle conservation.
  • Fiji: Programs begin every first and third Monday and last 1-12 weeks and include organic farming and turtle conservation.
  • Ghana: Programs begin every first and third Monday and last 1-12 weeks and include projects in agriculture.
  • Guatemala: Programs begin every Monday and last 1-24 weeks and include lake conservation, eco-agriculture conservation.
  • Italy: Programs begin every Monday and last 1-12 weeks and include environmental NGO support.
  • Madagascar: Programs begin every Monday and last 2-24 weeks and include forest and marine conservation.
  • Mexico: Programs begin every Monday and last 2-24 weeks and include projects in environmental research and Mayan agriculture.
  • Peru - Cusco: Programs begin every Monday and last 1-24 weeks and include jungle conservation.
Asia » Indonesia » Bali

Robert
Leeds, UK
Leeds Metropolitan University

You'll want to go back!

For three weeks in July, I went to Nosy Komba, Madagascar, and for those 3 weeks I didn't think about being anywhere else and had the most amazing time of my life. From waking up at 5am to the sound of roosters competing for the loudest crow, to falling asleep at 8pm/1am to the mesmerizing sound of crickets in the near distance - the day was filled with new experiences. I did things I thought that I would never do; questing through the forests in search of lemurs - captivated by wild hog nose snakes and orb weaver spiders as we did so; quad biking around Nosy Be - invigorated by the landscape and the odd Panther Chameleon; hikes that continue into the night and end with sleeping on the floor of a village church. I went to Madagascar nervous about how I would cope with such a change in lifestyle, but soon felt myself (cliche coming) falling in love with the place and its people. So much has been learnt in my time away: Latin names and identification techniques for various animals, how to snorkel, and that there is (no matter how deep you have to search) a pun for every occasion. I journeyed to Madagascar to gain experience in conservation work. However, I returned home with a whole lot more to be thankful for. If you're thinking about volunteering in Madagascar, then all I can say is: take on the challenge, the least you will take away are memories that will never be forgotten and friends that you will not want to leave (or at least not without adding them on Facebook).

I honestly can't think of one thing. Each and every quirk added to the experience that I had. Maybe solar lights on the path to the huts, but many nights the moon was bright enough to see anyway.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey there Robert! Thanks so much for your review of Madagascar - we love cliches! We are so glad that you fell in love with the country and the people. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope that you will join us again one day.

Elise
Melbourne, Australia
Deakin University

Fall in love with the country

Even working in forest conservation you get a chance to get to know the locals. They walk past as you sit there bird watching, and will always stop to say hello and have a conversation with you. It gives you the chance to practise the local language, even if you are not in the village every day, like the teachers are.

Most days we only worked in the morning, as it was a lot of physical work, and had the afternoon off. It would be good to do something in the afternoon as well, even if it is data entry or office work.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Elise, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on volunteering on our Forest Conservation project in Madagascar. It sounds like you had a very special volunteer experience there. Great photos! Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Kathryn
Chicago, IL
University of Illinois- Chicago

Once in a Lifetime Experience

The first week was orientation which consisted of learning about the country & culture. My program lasted 3 hours/weekday. We spent time in the school teaching kids about the environment. We also picked up garbage around the school to teach them the importance of recycling and why throwing away garbage on the streets is bad.

Longer times for programs. It takes more than 2 weeks for a change to take effect. Or leave a syllabus/plan for the next volunteers so they can continue the program where the previous volunteers left off. It's hard for children to learn things when their teachers are constantly changing.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kathryn, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on volunteering with IVHQ in Bali! We hope to have you on another of our programs in the future.

Z
Germany
University of Granada

Forest Conservation Program

The camp was amazing. Was much more wild than I expected, wooden huts with no windows or doors, but it was perfect. I liked a lot that it was completely integrated in the environment.
Another important aspect is that they were improving the camp, many little details that were not optimal or broken were replaced during the two weeks I was there.

The food could be improved, a little bit in terms of quantity, but mainly in terms of variety. For me was perfect, but as said, I stayed there just 2 weeks. Maybe for people who stay longer periods would be nice to have some more varied food. However, I am sure they will improve that.

The programm was nice, but of course can be also improved. The point is that, to be a very recent programm was good.

I felt completely safe both, at camp and in the all island.

A bit of more variety in the food, and more data analysis of the results collected during the day of work.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience on our Forest Conservation project in Madagascar. We hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

Karen
Canberra, Australia
Australian National University

Both marine and forest were awesome!

In April and May of this year I volunteered in both the forest program and the marine program (four weeks each). I adored my time in both programs. It was great to be contributing to field research in two important areas of conservation. It was really wonderful to be part of the research design and preliminary data collection in the forest program. I really enjoyed seeing the volunteer camp grow and evolve so much in just eight weeks. Because I could see the daily changes and growth in the camp and the programs, I really felt that I was making a contribution. The lovely staff welcomed us like family and the camp instantly felt like home. We were also lucky enough to be able to do day trips to the nearby marine national park and a weekend trip to a national park on mainland Madagascar. The location of the camp is stunning and I never got tired of the amazing sunsets from our bungalow. It was also really rewarding seeing the ties form between the camp and the local village. I'm so pleased that I decided to come to Madagascar and would definitely recommend it.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Karen,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your two months volunteering in Madagascar. It’s fantastic to hear that you were able to see the volunteer accommodation evolve and that it felt like home.

Thank you for you for volunteering with IVHQ and for sharing your experience.

Catherine

Alex
Gold Coast
University of Queensland

Excellent experience

I was involved in the jungle conservation program in Manu National Park, Peru. Firstly it was just great being in the jungle and in this environment and having the opportunity to live there with a conscious effort of conservation. There was never a dull moment as the volunteering work was challenging and fulfilling, while spare time involved exciting explorations through the amazon with all the wildlife and great people! The hospitality was great and it was amazing to be so isolated but still function so well without electricity or technology. However, there was also a lot of opportunities to engage with the local communities and learn Spanish!
Definitely a great program for someone who enjoys the environment and a challenge or to experience something completely different!

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to