GVI: Volunteer in Nepal

GVI: Volunteer in Nepal

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

Nepal is a beautiful, culturally diverse country, but also one of the poorest in the world. Lending a helping hand to this country will make a crucial difference to its development. Nepal has the densest concentration of world heritage sites and promises you cultural exploration and personal development as you make a difference in disadvantaged communities.

Top Volunteer Projects in Nepal:

• Volunteer with Children in Nepal: Volunteer alongside an international team in a care center or children's home, providing educational and personal development support to children. Immerse yourself in the rich Nepalese culture amongst breathtaking Himalayan scenery.
  • Volunteer and Adventure Experience in Nepal: Volunteer on a childcare project, providing underprivileged children with better education opportunities before embarking on an adventure trek to the famous Mount Everest base camp.
  • Volunteer on Construction Projects in Nepal: Travel to Nepal to join an international team of volunteers working to improve the lives of the local communities by building and renovating basic infrastructure and educational facilities.
  • Childcare Expedition in South Asia: Discover Asia when you travel to Nepal, India and Laos on a world wind volunteer experience! Contribute to valuable childcare initiatives and help provide much needed educational and early development support to the underprivileged children of these regions.
  • Volunteer Healthcare Project in Nepal: Provide support for people with special needs by assisting in training teachers, healthcare workers and families. Discover the spectacular mountains and landscapes in your free time.
Asia » Nepal
The volunteer contribution includes all food and accommodation, a white-water rafting weekend, a three-day orientation including Nepali language lessons, cultural classes, a day tour of Kathmandu, a two-week trek to Everest Base Camp, return flights from Kathmandu to Lukla. GVI’s Pre-departure support and discounted services, 24 hour emergency phone, 24 hour in country support

Jenny
Canterbury
London South Bank University

Nurses Nepal Trip 2016

Arrived as part of a group of 12 healthcare volunteers ( 11 trained nurses and 1 medical representative), to work in Pokara. The trip was well organised and we had the support of GVI staff throughout. Would recommend visiting this beautiful country and helping where you can. We ran health check clinics, offered advice via translators on diet, exercise, lifestyle and child care. The clinics we ran were well attended by mainly adults. We were also given the opportunity to visit local health care services and saw how the earthquake had impacted on health particularly in one hospital in Bandepaur. Accommodation was basic but comfortable, food delicious as we ate in small local restaurants. We had minibus transport to rural villages and felt safe at all times. Our mini bus blew a tyre on the road from Kathmandu to Pokara and we survived to tell the tale, with the excellent reflexes and driving skills of our driver. We were working for 14 days and no-one missed a day due to ill health. We enjoyed our trip and GVI were a great support, offering valuable information and advice whilst in the country. I would definitely go back again .

Response from Global Vision International (GVI)

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your kind words about your time in Nepal, we always love hearing stories from our Alumni!

Do you know that we run an Ambassador program which allows you to stay connected with GVI from home, and earn points towards a future program? If you'd like to find out more, you can email me on [email protected] and I'll be able to give you more details!

All the best,

Jon, Alumni Engagement Manager

Jes
Australia
Griffith University

An experience I'll never forget

This was my first volunteer trip and it was incredible. I did the construction program with GVI for 3.5 weeks and it was hard work but left you feeling alive and so pumped you just wanted to keep going. It was great to see the improvement before my own eyes and know that I was involved in making that happen. It was an absolutely incredible experience working with local tradesmen and being shown how to build, tile, make cement etc the way that they do it, and without some of the western machinery we have at home. It was an eye opener and a mind opener and left me feeling sad when I left, like a was leaving a part of me behind. The people just made me feel so at home and took me in as one of their own it was hard saying good bye, both to the locals and the GVI staff who I came to be good friends with. I cannot wait to go back and see how everything I had a hand in has progressed!

some of the packing prep provided was confusing as it mixed winter and summer gear together . two separate lists would be good

Pauline
Salt Lake City, Utah
University of Hawaii- Hilo

Chance of a Lifetime!

My husband and I are retired and love to travel. We also like to 'give back'; we are lucky to live in the US and have been able to take advantage of it's bounty. So GVI's volunteer/adventure opportunities suit us very well. We can combine our love for travel together with the chance to maybe help the local community in some way. Also when you travel this way, you can truly say - I know what it's like to live in such and such a country. The adventure projects are even better because they can involve somewhat of a challenge with your adventure. We had always wanted to get a glimpse of Mount Everest and this adventure trip offered us a chance to do just that, plus do some volunteer work with the wonderful Nepalese people. The trek to Everest Base Camp came at the beginning of our six-week project and included adventure at the very beginning - the plane ride from Kathmandu to the small airport at Lukla. The trek through the Himalayas was challenging but breathtaking and led by two exceptional guides who helped, encouraged and laughed with us. There were 7 of us in our little group, together with two guides and three porters. At the end we felt like family. Our arrival at Base Camp was exhilarating and joyful; better still was the view of Everest, Lhotse and Nuptse at sunrise the next morning from Kala Patthar. Our orientation week was comprehensive and unique - language lessons, stays at a farmhouse, a typical home and visits to heritage sites in and around Kathmandu. We completed our volunteer project in the mountain village of Bandipur - starting point for several treks, including the Annapurna tour. We worked with children ranging in age from preschoolers to ten and eleven years old in various childcare centers and schools throughout the day. We also completed a painting project and did some restoration work on a Newari architecture library. Our accommodations were basic, but the hot showers were luxurious. There wasn't too much variation in our food choices but it was plentiful and nutritious. Overall a great experience and we wouldn't hesitate to take another trip with Global Vision International (GVI).

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered