Trek to Teach - Teach in the Himalayas!

Trek to Teach - Teach in the Himalayas!

Trek through the foothills of the Himalayas to a remote rural village where you’ll live with a Nepali host family, and teach English in the local school. Your four day trek through the mountains will lead you around the Annapurna Circuit, past Poon Hill and some of the other highlights of the trail. You’ll walk through mossy forests, and up stone steps (thousands!) all while having breathtaking views of the mountains. At the end of the trek, you’ll be welcomed into the home of your hosts, and by your students as a new member of the community. Each morning you’ll wake up with views of the snow capped Himalayas.
On days off, trek and explore the local area. Spend your weekends hiking up to the base camp of one of the tallest mountains in the world, or soaking in the natural hot springs at Jihnu. The local children are driven, and with your knowledge of the English language, they’ll have a greater opportunity to learn.

• Trek through the jungles and mountains to the base camps of some of the highest mountains in the world
  • Experience daily Nepal life and culture living with a host family in a remote mountain village
  • Brush your teeth each morning with the breathtaking backdrop of the Himalayas
  • Spend your weekdays enriching the lives of and inspiring young children through giving them an English education.
  • Spend your weekends trekking through the foothills of the mountains or soaking in natural hot springs
Asia » Nepal
Guesthouse
Every penny of the cost will go to serving the people of Nepal and our mission to improve the education system in rural Himalayan Nepal.
Annapurna Region, Kaski, Nepal

No 50 isn't too old, as long as they are do endurance training in preparation for the trek. Age is just a number :)

Elsa
University of Wyoming

Life Changing Experience

This program was the most incredible experience I have ever had. It was never easy and challenged me in so many different unexpected ways but I truly loved every second of it. I got to live in one of the most beautiful places and live with some of the most beautiful and caring people I have ever met. The kids you get to teach are amazing and full of energy and desire to learn like no kid you have ever met and will love you unconditionally. I will never forget them. The Nepali Board was incredibly helpful, Narayan and Suman wonderful tour guides and always fun to hang out with and Sarala and Chandni became dear friends. I would highly recommend this program, it truly is one of a kind program and really does make a good impact on the communities that it helps out in. Please ask me any questions you have about the program!

This program is young and is still getting some hitches figured out but it was mostly smooth sailing and I wouldn't change my experience for the world

Taylor
University of Colorado- Denver

Experience of a Lifetime

Trek to Teach stands out from other volunteer abroad programs I have come across. Multiple things initially drew to to Trek to Teach, notably the application process required and the duration of the program. The application process involved interviews, essays, and submitting a resume. The amount of work it took to apply to the program ensures that participants are serious about TTT and allows for the TTT staff to determine if participants will be a good fit or not. Additionally, the length of the program, 10 weeks, is long enough to begin seeing an improvement in student performance. It is not a short-lived program where there is no chance to see if an impact is being made or not, but it also isn't so long that it deters potential volunteers. Also, leading up to teaching in Nepal, there are a series of Skype sessions where previous teachers go over what to expect in Nepal and how to prepare.

Trek to Teach also has a dedicated and amazing staff, who create a vast support network for current teachers. Between the staff in Nepal and the many former teachers, I never felt alone or without adequate support during my stay in Nepal. If I had a concern or a question, someone way always there to help out. Everyone involved in Trek to Teach cares immensely, which makes for a positive experience.

The trek is difficult, even for experienced hikers. As someone with exercise induced asthma, I definitely struggled with it. I thought that I had trained a significant amount before leaving for Nepal, but I quickly realized that I could have trained more. Thankfully, because Trek to Teach has such caring and understanding staff, there is plenty of encouragement along the way.

During my time in Nepal I made so many new friends and had amazing experiences. I am still close with the family I lived with and I get updates from time to time on how my former students are doing. One of the most rewarding and fulfilling parts of the program was the exposure to a different way of life and all of the interesting people I was fortunate enough to meet during my time in Nepal. It was an exciting adventure and I will never forget it.

Michael
Riverdale, NJ
Columbia College Chicago

Amazing first overseas volunteer experience

Wow, what an experience volunteering with Trek to Teach. I ended up finding the organization after deciding that I really needed to take a break from work and life in general here in the USA and I was very glad that I did. I arrived in Nepal nervous and without confidence that everything was going to go really smoothly and wow was I wrong. The Nepali TTT team was there to greet me with smiles and truly made the whole experience of coming into Nepal a breeze by both taking care of all accommodations and making me feel comfortable and at home. It was a great first impression and I would say that the team kept their great hospitality intact throughout.
One of the best things about this organization is that they try really hard to prepare you for teaching and the cultural shock you will receive when you get there. Having said that, I don't think anything could have prepared me for my first time teaching English in a foreign country. It took some time to get used to but I learned to really enjoy being with the kids and watching them learn even the most simple phrases or to even see the smallest bit of improvement. Being there at the school and immersing yourself in Nepali culture was truly mind opening and really gives you a different perspective on everything you have at your disposal in modern society. I felt a deep sense of appreciation too, that people in the village seemed to really be happy that I was there trying to help. I think any little bit of help they can get there, goes a long way for the people in the village. Most importantly, the TTT team really seems like the genuinely care about the wellbeing of the people there, something I was really happy to see. Lastly, being surrounded by the Himalayan mountains was really one of the most magical experiences of my life. To wake up and see the pointed peak of the "Fishtail" in the Annapurna range is something I will never forget. You are literally stuck in awe when you get a good mountain view. I also had the chance to do a lot of hiking and even reached Annapurna Base Camp during some free time from the school.
All in all, it was a tremendous experience and something I will carry with for the rest of my life. Thank you Trek to Teach for such a fulfilling experience!!!

Nothing really, keep doing what you're doing!!!

David
Stockholm

Being rich is not about money anymore

A new chapter in my life started the same minute I found the organisation Trek to Teach. I felt an unknown spark in myself that eventually turned to a deep love for the village Tolka and the mighty Himalayas. I was working as an English teacher for 2 months and living amongst 400 villagers made me feel like one of them. The children, teachers and the villagers struck me in my core. Since words doesn’t feel fair to use in order to describe the experience I had as a volunteer, I take photographs and videos. After some time in the village, the children would knock on my door in the morning, yelling that we had to walk to school together. The days were full of joyful moments at the school. When the evening came, we played football with the moon as our light. The night arrived and the stars of the Himalayas shined brightly. To have this memory and this connection to these children, the villagers and the teachers is simply invaluable.

If I have to come up with something, it would be that I wanted to learn more useful Nepalese for the mission during the orientation session in Kathmandu.

Ashley
Portland, or
University of Oregon

GO TO NEPAL

As I’m writing this, thinking about the love and care I received from my students, I get chills. There is an incredible authenticity to Nepali’s, once you are welcomed into their hearts, they keep you there. Any time I write about my experience going to Nepal, I find new meaning and depth to my experience. Make the time to visit this country.

Going to Nepal was my first time out of the country, and I couldn’t be happier with my choice. Nepali’s are contagiously happy and positive which rubbed off, allowing me to understand and appreciate contentment. I made a new place to call home that I truly didn’t want to leave. My trip started in bustling Kathmandu exploring the city, trying delicious food and visiting ancient Hindu and Buddhist temples. I felt extremely supported by the Trek to Teach team. They gave me an orientation to familiarize myself with Nepali life, and their education system before heading off to teach in my village. Not to mention they have become lifelong friends.

The trek to my school was phenomenal with beauty at every turn, but it wasn’t a walk through the park. You will be trekking for hours on end so be prepared to work hard and push yourself, then be rewarded with views that will take your breath away. In the Himalayas life is tranquil and quite simple, with views and people that will change your life. If you crave adventure, perspective and think you have something to offer the Nepali youth TTT would make a great fit.

The program is great, I just recommend researching the country and know the culture. I had to understand that Nepali's run on "Nepali time" which is typically late. I adjusted and understood that people probably wouldn't be early to meet up, but it was mostly just new for me.

Conner
Massachusetts

Beautiful Country, Wonderful People, Incredible Program

From the first second I arrived in Nepal, I was amazed. The city of Kathmandu was vibrant, and alive in so many ways. The sights, the sounds, the smells were all foreign to me. It was an exciting, but simultaneously terrifying experience. I had of course some background knowledge of the country, and a handle on how I would be teaching based on skype meetings prior to leaving home, but it is impossible to know a culture until you are plunged right into the center of it.

Fortunately the staff of Trek to Teach was incredibly knowledgeable, and friendly. They made sure I was comfortable, and gave me tours of the city along with a crash course in Nepali culture, language, and history. The week before I actually started teaching was filled with knowledge. I left Kathmandu on a bus with Madan Prasain, one of the co-founders of Trek to Teach and a lovely person with a contagious laugh. Madan was my guide on our trek to the village of Tolka.

After I was oriented with Tolka, and the school I would be teaching at, Madan left to head back to the Trek to Teach offices in Kathmandu. We maintained communication over the spotty internet available in the village, but for the most part I was alone. The guest house I was staying in was very accommodating, and run by some of the most fun people I've ever met. I was welcomed at the school with open arms. All of my students were bright, and energetic.

The school was about a ten to fifteen minute walk from the guest house. Classes started at ten, and went into the late afternoon, with a break for tea and snacks about halfway through the day. The first day of teaching was the hardest, as I had only just received the curriculum, and was thrust into classes without a clear schedule. Over time, I formed a routine, and established a relationship with the students. I had to learn what it meant to be a teacher very fast.

I quickly fell into a teaching routine. Communication was a large issue in the beginning. The students had a very basic understanding of english, and I didn't know any Nepali besides basic greetings. Repetition and body language were key in explaining lessons. We would play games that would cover material in the curriculum, and I would occasionally incorporate arts and crafts when the materials allowed.

This program requires you to be independent. There is support available from Trek to Teach, and the school I worked with was filled with friendly teachers, but there are no real guides, or stringent rules. There were no other volunteers with me, or program guides that were there to tell me what to do. The teaching was self directed, and though the curriculum books provided a guidelines, I wrote most of the lesson plans. This sort of independence, and responsibility proved to be a boon. It pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me grow as a person. I will always remember my experiences with Trek to Teach fondly, and would definitely recommend it to anyone considering spending time abroad.

The biggest problem I had was that there was little structure once I arrived at the village. I was thrown into teaching very young children who spoke very little english without any more instruction than "Just teach them a song." If I had some sort of guidance, or further expectations when arriving at the school, it would have been easier for me to integrate.

Daniel
Providence, RI

Fond Memories of Nepal

I absolutely loved my time in Nepal. I went into volunteering with Trek to Teach with very little classroom teaching experience and zero Nepali, so to be honest I was learning just as much as my students were. It was exciting to be pushed so far out of my comfort zone, and in the end my time spent in Nepal was incredibly rewarding.

The classroom experience in Chhomrong was nothing like what I was used to in the States, but I noticed that being a kid is a universal experience. All the students loved to play games and had a competitive spirit. The national curriculum for learning English seemed to be based a lot around repeating phrases over and over, and the students were sometimes bored with learning this way. My approach to teaching involved lots of games and a lot of art projects as well. At such a young age (6-10 years old), I believe the best strategy for language acquisition is through an immersive environment, which is something that Trek to Teach can provide through sending teachers fluent in English to rural villages.

At sometimes I felt a little disconnected from the other teachers in the school. I wasn't an official part of the English curriculum and acted more as a supplement to the student's English classes. I think it would be great if TTT developed a reference for lesson plans that could be integrated with the material in the national curriculum.

Tony
Corvallis, Oregon.
Oregon State University

I love Nepal

My experience in Nepal was like no other experience I've ever had. Teaching English in Kathmandu and Ghandruk with overall 800-1,000 students was demanding and exhausting at times. I had difficulties teaching in Kathmandu because the school was not expecting to have a volunteer teacher. I had a different class schedules daily. Moving from an overpopulated metropolitan city to a small village gave me culture shock even though I was in the same country. The food, language, beliefs, and level of English was significantly different from both locations. Even though changing locations didn't give me enough time to focus on one school, I loved experiencing two locations briefly. I have a full understanding of the differences between the best and worse schools in Nepal. I met so many interesting and good friends in both locations. I can't wait to go back to Nepal.

I emphasized to the Trek to teach staff that interns should stay at one location at their whole time in Nepal and be forced to learn Nepali. It is unfair for my students that I only worked with them for three works unlike other interns who worked with their students for eight weeks to ten weeks. I found knowing Nepali helped with my teaching and created a fun atmosphere with my students. My students spoke English in the classroom and I spoke Nepali outside of the classroom. Many fun times.

Trek to Teach seeks motivational teachers eager to educate children in the Nepali Himalayas. Due to the mountainous geographical region surrounding schools and communities in Himalayas, students often find it difficult to attend school. Trek to Teach teachers serve as motivation to inspire children to