Volunteer to teach in the Himalayas of Pakistan

Volunteer to teach in the Himalayas of Pakistan

The Kaghan Memorial Trust (KMT) is looking for international teachers to work on a volunteer basis at its school in the Kaghan Valley.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

• Teaching English as a foreign language to young learners (KG to Grade 6)
• Supporting local teaching staff (teacher training and monitoring teacher performance)
• Curriculum development
• Organisation of school events
• Working as part of the Senior Teacher and Academic Advisor (STA) team to develop initiatives to reduce absenteeism, improve health and hygiene, encourage good manners, increase awareness of environmental issues, etc.

REQUIREMENTS:

• Applicants must have a college degree and experience teaching children and/or teaching English as a second language. Experience overseas is an asset.
• A strong sense of commitment to the Trust’s objectives and a willingness to work for one full year.
• Ability to adapt to a different culture.

Asia
Project Types
KMT provides its volunteers with accommodation, meals, one return air ticket per year for travel between their home country and Islamabad, visa expenses, local health coverage, local transport facilities and a monthly stipend of Pak. Rs. 10,000 (approx US $100).

Shireen
Washington, DC
University of Houston

A Memorable Experience

This was an experience I will never forget. I had the opportunity to see many parts of Pakistan due to the owner of the school. He took us to meet with his family and friends who live in various parts of Pakistan. I got to meet many interesting people - and there were a diverse lot. Meeting the young students was the best part. Just imagine, had that school not been in place, their lives would be incredibly different. Their outlook would have been entirely different. This opportunity to join the members of the KMT staff to bring knowledge/education to this part of the world, and to see the impact it had (is having) on the children, was heart-warming. I would do it all over again, if I were able to. I do hope to return in the future.

If the cause, the children, or the amazing people you will meet is not enough for you, then the breathtaking scenery might just do it. This opportunity also gave me a chance to connect with nature. The staff at Shogran were more than willing to take us on hikes, and jeep rides to nearby areas. It's an experience you will not forget.

As for safety, I never ever felt unsafe. They often told us that there was a cheetah or some cat lurking around, but I never saw it. I think they were messing with me ... or I hope ;). Feel free to ask me anything you'd like, and I'll be happy to share more information.

Shireen

Of course I would have liked more technology (for teaching purposes), but because of the nature of the area -- it was limited. However, things may have changed.

Jennifer
Pakistan
Durham University

KMT is a life changing experience

In 2011, I completed 2.5 years of full time volunteering with KMT. Throughout this period I was stationed in KMT's head office in Islamabad. KMT is a well thought out programme with a clear focus on supporting the children in the Kaghan valley by providing quality education. It is run with a commitment to this end goal, and this is something that results in past volunteers continuing to be so committed even after they leave.

The work is challenging due to the varied and extensive tasks involved. For those in head office, this includes fundraising, HR/admin, communications, and event management. The context and high expectations lead to a strong learning curve.

I now work as a volunteer trustee for KMT despite having other full time work in Islamabad. I do this because I believe KMS is one of the few programmes that will result in a real change for underprivileged communities.

It is unfortunate that the context of Pakistan does not allow extensive travel during your time here. This is disappointing given the beauty of Pakistan

Maija
Finland

Unique Opportunity

Spending a year teaching deprived children in the mountains of Pakistan is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am so happy I seized the chance! Contrary to what we often hear in the media, the country is actually quite safe. Of course, you will not be able to move around quite as freely as you would at home and you have to take certain precautions, but I never felt like my safety was being compromised. I highly recommend the Kaghan Memorial Trust!

If2010
Europe

worthwhile cause and great experience

If you love traveling, new cultures, people, life experience and want to engage with an active role in the community development and help disadvantaged children then this is an excellent opportunity for you. I would highly recommend KMT volunteer program.

I have volunteered as a program officer for one year and was in constant touch with the volunteer teachers. The volunteer teachers are accompanied by the staff all the way from the beginning to the end and are there to help with any question or issues.

With the help of the students, the volunteers learned a lot as a teacher and as a human being. It is especially rewarding to see the children understanding and using the knowledge that the teachers taught them.

Overall, it was a memorable experience for me and I'm very glad I did it.

The Kaghan Memorial Trust (KMT) is a non-profit charitable organisation that is currently establishing the first of a number of schools providing free quality primary education for underprivileged children in Pakistan.
The trust is focused since its inception on operating and building a large school