Volunteer at a Refugee Camp in Palestine

When you are a Palestinian refugee, you are a person who lost their home and livelihood following the conflict in 1948, and a person among over 750,000 Palestinians who live in 27 refugee camps in the West Bank and Gaza. Over the years, refugee camps in Palestine have transformed from temporary tent cities into hyper-congested masses of multi-story buildings with narrow alleys, characterized by high concentrations of poverty and extreme overcrowding. These camps are considered the densest urban spaces in the world.

As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to explore all aspects of refugee daily life in Palestine. You may choose to live with a host family in a refugee camp to experience and research the social and economic hardships confronted by the camp residents. You can also be placed with local NGOs whose work is focused on human development, humanitarian issues, primary and vocational education, primary healthcare, relief and social services and infrastructure.

• Improve the living and social conditions of the camp residents.
  • You will have the opportunity to explore all aspects of refugee daily life in Palestine.
  • You may choose to live with a host family in a refugee camp to experience and research the social and economic hardships confronted by the camp residents.

Aadil

My Experience at Aida Camp, Bethlehem

The month I spent in Bethlehem while volunteering with Aida Camp was arguably the best month of my life. Not only did I learn about life under occupation in Palestine but I also had a ridiculous amount of fun and made friends for life both with the locals and other visiting volunteers. Working in the camp gave me the opportunity to see first hand the situation of the refugees and to absorb pure Palestinian culture. Despite working hard during the week, I also managed to do a lot of sightseeing and even went on a road trip with some other volunteers. The Palestinian people are the most friendly and hospitable people I have ever met and it was a privilege to be able to spend time with them. I highly recommend this experience to anyone curious about life in Palestine, Palestinian culture and cuisine or simply someone looking to practise or develop their Arabic and have a good time.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
As a student of the Arabic language, I would've tried to speak more Arabic where possible because people underestimate the value of being surrounded by a language when learning it. I think if I had made more of an effort to speak Arabic, my fluency would've developed much more during my stay and I could've picked up even more vocabulary.
Anas

Discover Palestine

I was wondering is it worth to be there? especially that i traveled to different countries but when you think about Palestine you feel it's not safe but when you be there you have totally different feelings. It opened my eyes in many ways and I learned not be an egocentric person but rather to see and empathize with needy people around me. The people there are very hospitable, nice and kind. Delicious food make you eating all the time. The refugee camp is very safe for local and international because the people there are living like one family. the activities in the center where i volunteered in were organized, dedicated, full of knowledge, fun and informative. it was a great experience to be in Palestine, it's an experience to change your life „Volunteer Palestine“ is the right place to start your life changing experience.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
the most surprising thing was to live in a refugee camp

About Volunteer Palestine

Volunteer Palestine is a grassroots volunteer travel organization established by locals. The founders of the program are refugees from Aida Refugee Camp in Bethlehem who wanted to find a way to assist the local community where resources are limited....