Bamboo - Volunteer Abroad Programs in Peru

Bamboo - Volunteer Abroad Programs in Peru

Bamboo has opportunities to work on a range of projects in Peru such as childcare, teaching, construction, healthcare and conservation projects. Peru boasts some of the most spectacular scenery in South America and volunteers will primarily be based in the city of Cusco, the historical capital of the Inca Empire.

Volunteer Impact

Volunteers provide assistance to disadvantaged socio-economic groups within Peruvian communities, focusing primarily on orphaned children, animals, rural communities and school children.

As a volunteer in Peru you can provide love, affection, education and support to orphaned children. You will help to improve education in schools ensuring children learn and flourish. As a volunteer you can practice and teach preventative healthcare, and hygiene. Depending on your interests you can also contribute to building projects in impoverished communities, or in animal/environmental conservation projects.

South America » Peru » Cusco
South America » Peru
The in-country fee covers your breakfast, lunch and dinner, accommodation, orientation session, airport pick-up and Spanish lessons.

The other costs you will need to meet are your flights, tourist visa (if applicable), shots, travel insurance, and departure tax. You will also need to cater for other expenses including transport to your project each day (approx. USD 0.20 per day), bottled water, personal costs, beverages, and entertainment.

Rakhi
Houston, TX
Louisiana State University- Baton Rouge

wonderful experience in Peru

I have done multiple solo volunteer travels in the last year, and this has been my favorite by far. Peru is a beautiful country, full of rich culture, history, and amazing people.

I have a background in medicine and work at cancer hospital, and I really enjoyed my experience at my volunteer placement. I signed up for a week trip to visit Cusco for a childcare project. I was placed at a pediatric oncological unit, where kids are unfortunately not able to visit with their families daily for various reasons. They are in isolation given their conditions, so there is a need to have volunteers be their support system during that time. It was truly an amazing experience. These kids are so special.

Cusco is a very safe city, but basic common sense and precautions are needed for anyone traveling alone to any country. It was so fun exploring the different neighborhoods, Machu Picchu (will need 1 full day to visit), and other surrounding areas. There's so much to do.

I signed up with GVN (global volunteer network), but was primarily in contact with the local support staff of a sister company Maximo Nivel. The staff was wonderful and always available for support.

If planning a trip to Machu Picchu, I would highly recommend researching different companies to visit it with. The company I was referred to, World Wide Excursions, was ok but quite a bit more expensive compared to other companies. And my experience was not as great, considering the tour guide I paid for never showed up to give me a tour.

The price is also considerably less with GVN, compared to other organizations out there. They're organized, and I truly felt safe with Maximo Nivel as well. My homestay family was also wonderful and thoughtful. The homestay had internet and was in a safe area of Cusco.

Overall, I highly recommend volunteering with GVN and Maximo Nivel.

If possible, then it would be beneficial to know in advance the volunteer placement and homestay placement. Donations can be tailored to what that particular placement may need. That's if it is possible. It's definitely not absolutely necessary.

Also, there may need to be a little bit of clarification in advance regarding Spanish classes. I was under the impression that the Spanish classes are free, however during orientation with Maximo Nivel, I found out that there is a charge for classes per week.

Olessia
USVI

Find another

On their website GVN claims that the overwhelming number of negative reviews they get come from those who never participated in their programs or were done by competing volunteer organizations. Well, I am a regular person, a registered nurse, I might add, who has extensively travelled and participated in other volunteer projects in the developing countries.
I HAVE volunteered in a medical program offered by GVN and managed by Maximo Nivel in Cusco, Peru in August 2015. And by far, it was the worst volunteer experience I've ever had, it lacked structure, involvement and supervision by GVN. The concerns reported by me and other volunteers were not addressed, GVN and Maximo Nivel took little to no responsibility for their failure to deliver what they signed people up for. The total cost of the program was $765 for a week. There are much cheaper volunteer programs out there... hell, there are free ones out there!
During the orientation, they offered free t-shirts for positive reviews and "likes" on Facebook. If your level of integrity was what you say it is, you would not have to ask for praise, your Goodness would be undeniable.
I wish I had known better, but I guess it was a learning experience. So my suggestion is read, do research before you sign up with these guys. Make an informed decision. And good luck impacting lives

Lyndsay
Kelowna, BC
University of British Columbia

Incredible Experience in Peru!

My time in the rainforest is something I'll remember for the rest of my life. Living and working with a fantastic group of volunteers at the Atalaya reserve was an incredible experience. The seclusion of this project really gives you a chance to form deeper and closer bonds with your fellow volunteers, the program leaders, and also the people in the towns nearby. It really does become a home away from home! You also feel a lot closer to nature in those conditions; open air bungalows, no electricity or hot water, etc. I thought this project would just be a lot of hard outdoor labour, but it turned out to be so much more. Yes, the majority of days would see us hiking steep trails with machetes and pickaxes to plant saplings, or hacking away at bamboo, but we also spent time learning about the rainforest, taking trips in to town, hiking to waterfalls and the swimming hole, reading absurd amounts of novels, eating basic but delicious food, playing round after round of card games, and just having a wonderful time with amazing friends. I wouldn't change anything about my time in the Amazon, it was everything I thought it would be and more :)

Some of the information provided was either outdated or just incorrect. Some items I was told to bring were redundant, as they were already provided at the site, such as rain boots and binoculars. And many volunteers were told there would be an ATM at one of the nearby towns, when in fact there was not. Just little things like that, which would have been nice to know before hand.

Suparmi
Singapore

interesting progams from getting voluteers from online plateform to the final destination with the assistant of local host and travel agent.

I didn't prepare myself well enough for my task to help the girls with their homework. Like helping them with maths to which there are methods to make them understand their sums better. And I ended up just sitting there trying in my own method instead. I introduced them creative arts and craft using materials I got from the retail shops like making their own headbands and things they could used after they completed the projects. My arts and craft projects were very popular with my 'little angels' to the extend of distracting them from finishing their homework. I had to make sure they finished their homework first before my art and craft sessions by sitting around without much help to do their homework.

More specific tasks for the volunteers instead of just assigning numbers (volunteers) to specific schools. This will help the school staff to focus on their goals and the volunteers would also have more sense of commitment to their programs.
For a start, you can include a brief profile of the school that the volunteer is going to be attached and run through their objective and the age group of the children and the challenges they are facing in more details.

daydrmr118
Chester, NY

A Great Experience

I volunteered with 10 others in orphanage, community centers, and poor villages. The impact on the local peoples and community is huge. The impact may not be realized for years to come, but such huge change does not happen overnight. GVN has its goals in the right place.....stop the cycle of poverty beginning with children and put emphasis on their nutrition and education. The team I worked with were all so committed and everyone worked extremely well together. I think we all felt like we made a tremendous difference in so many lives.

Bamboo is the next step in independent volunteering and adventure travel.

We're dedicated to pushing the boundaries of what responsible tourism is all about. Our dedicated team, consisting of the perfect mix of international travellers and passionate locals, know exactly how to ensure that both