• Peru

Guesthouse Host Family
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $180 for 1 week - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Jul 28, 2022
Aug 09, 2022
102 travelers are looking at this program

Trusted by 120,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Peru and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 18 volunteer project options in Cusco or Lima and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a homestay, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Cusco, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s Peru program is available year-round, offering a start date on every Monday in Cusco and every first and third Monday in Lima
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $180 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • Exhilarating add-ons available, including Machu Picchu tours, Rainbow Mountain treks and a 1-week Mini Adventure
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Popular Programs

Peru Childcare Projects

The aim of the Childcare project is for volunteers to provide individual attention and assistance to children from diverse backgrounds. Many children at the placements we work with do not receive the level of affection and education that they deserve, volunteers therefore play an important role in working alongside local staff to improve the educational, emotional and hygiene conditions of the children. Volunteers work in community centers, schools and kindergartens.

Peru Construction and Renovation Projects

One of the ways we provide support to the different placements we work with in Cusco is through our Construction and Renovation project. Many of these placements are under-funded, run-down, and in need of renovation work. Volunteers work alongside a local construction worker who provides them with direction and motivation. Volunteers work on a variety of buildings, including schools, community centers and clinics.

Peru Medical Projects

Clinics and hospitals for low income families in Cusco tend to be under-funded and under-staffed. As a result, volunteers play an important role in assisting local nurses and doctors, dentists and specialists while also learning about the healthcare system in Cusco. It is important that Medical volunteers have realistic expectations with regard to the activities that they will get involved in.

Peru Andean Immersion Projects

Join this culturally immersive volunteer project and have the unique opportunity to experience life as a local in a traditional Andean community while volunteering your time to support your host family.

Peru Jungle Conservation Projects

Peru’s Amazon rainforest is an incredible place to visit - full of wildlife and raw landscapes but facing its own set of challenges. As a volunteer on this unique project, you can contribute to the ongoing preservation of this vital part of the natural world.

Animal Care Volunteer Program in Lima - Peru

Love hanging out with man’s best friend? This Animal Care project is a great opportunity for volunteers to help the thousands of dogs that have been abandoned on the streets of Lima and are often suffering from hunger, disease and injury. You will be providing vital support and help for non-profit dog shelters that manage, treat and rehabilitate the dogs and try to find them new, loving homes.

• 5 rating 94.03%
  • 4 rating 5.97%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Vonne Mei

The best 3 weeks of my life

I spent 3 weeks in Peru this summer and it was the coolest experience of my life. I stayed in Lima and we traveled to a village called Pachacutec to do the volunteer work. I worked with so many amazing children. I met so many amazing people and worked with some of the sweetest, more caring kids ever. We also had a lot of free time to do things like explore the city and do weekend excursions. I went to Cusco and saw Machu Picchu, and I also went to Huacachina and went in a sand buggy and went belly sand boarding. I can’t wait to do more projects like this with IVHQ.

Pros
  • meeting so many people
  • affordable
  • valued work
Cons
  • culture shock
  • getting homesick
  • language barrier
Alexia

Medical Program

With IVHQ I found the perfect program for me! I went to Cusco for medical volunteer and through IVHQ planned activities around the city, it was an incredible experience! The family host was amazing and I got to make friends from all over the world. Definitely was more that I expected. I got to volunteer with children with special needs and then in a clinic helping everyone. I got to see Machu Picchu, Humantay, and Vinincunca !!! The food was amazing and the city was beautiful. After this experience I want to go volunteering again

Pros
  • tourism
  • food
  • people are amazing
Cons
  • security
  • really high altitude
Brandon

Jungle Conservation in Peru

This program is perfect for adventurer's that want to get off of the beaten path. I met some wonderful people and learned a lot about the most biodiverse place on planet Earth! I was initially scared of the prospect of living in the jungle for many weeks, but it isn't all just snakes and spiders! My time in the forest gave me time to reflect on questions that I have been needing to answer my whole life. If you find yourself needing a real adventure and some time away from your normal life, there are few better options.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment was, by far, my fellow volunteer leaping out of his seat while we were fishing, nearly capsizing our small boat, because he was convinced that a spider was crawling up his leg.
Rachael

Medical Program in Cusco - IVHQ

I just returned from a 2 week medical volunteering program in Cusco, Peru through IVHQ. As someone who is extremely interested in international public health, I had high expectations for this experience. As dangerous as high expectations can be, all of mine (and many more) were exceeded in these 2 weeks. Not only was I able to learn from the incredibly knowledgeable healthcare professionals in Cusco, but my understanding of the culture was expanded more than I could have hoped for. I was worried that 2 weeks would be a lot, but I know that next time I go, it will have to be for more! I didn’t want to leave. The support from IVHQ was unparalleled, and I consider myself very fortunate for having this experience and learning so much!

If you are from a flat area like myself, give yourself a few days to rest once you are in Cusco, the altitude is no joke. Also, although it sounds cliche, really soak in every moment that you are there. It goes by too fast, and you will soon miss those uphill walks and gorgeous Mountain View’s.
Christina

My 2019 Trip to Peru

I’ve always had a passion to see the world- and to leave each place I visit better than the way I found it. IVHQ offered me the perfect opportunity to travel with meaning- to do my part in making the world a better place while discovering some of the hidden beauties planet earth has to offer.

I didn’t expect to fall IN LOVE with Peru, but I fell hard! From the welcoming and kind feelings from our host family, connecting with volunteers from all over the world, to breathtaking sites like Machu Picchu- every minute spent during these two weeks was something priceless. Everything we did, from volunteering to site seeing, we did as a team- as a family. I am forever grateful for that. Peru is filled with so many hard-working people, many alpacas and mountains that literally take your breath away (and not because of the altitude! but that is no joke).

IVHQ gave me more than an opportunity to volunteer while abroad. It gave me new friendships that will last a lifetime, experiences that you can’t put a price tag on, a new cultural lens, and a heart that feels so full it could explode! It’s a beautiful thing- to be able to connect with people from all different backgrounds, cultures, and corners of the world- to come together under one common desire: to help others. This was an experience of a lifetime… And I’m already planning my next IVHQ trip!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I think the funniest moment during my trip was during our hike up Rainbow Mountain. We had been warned about the intensity of the hike and that we would be offered a horse to take. I start off the hike with my dad next to me. Somewhere along the route, I turn around and no longer see him! Once I was almost to the top with the rest of the volunteers, I ask around, “Has anyone seen my dad?!” One of my friends says “your dad? He hopped on a horse about an hour ago. He’s probably waiting for us at the top!” I almost passed out from both the lack of oxygen and because I was laughing so hard.
Silvana

Volunteering in Peru, amazing experience.

This experience gave me a lot to learn and see, thanks to the Holiday Program I got to experience the majority of the opportunities for volunteering, and I got the chance to discover what I am good at, I could learn from a lot of people, met amazing people and got to know myself better. Now I can not wait to volunteer again for more time and a new country to visit! All the volunteering activities helped me to grow and think how fortunate I am which means I have to give back some of the luck I have. The best way to do it is giving a small piece of your kindness wherever you go or volunteer.

Be sure to be "normal fit" because all touristic activities involve a lot of energy, trekking or hiking! (and some of the volunteering stuff too)
Monica

BE A VOLUNTEER

Be a volunteer is always something that everyone wants to be. But most of the people that don't have courage enough!
My experience this year was in Peru-Cusco and it was the first time that I have done some experience like that! And I love it!
I have chosen to do Special needs care at Madre Teresa it was no doubts the best project that I could have! Plus you always can choose another programs to do!
You never feel alone, the people that you meet are unbelievable, the trips that you do are incredible and in the end you really feel that you achieve the fullfillment in life!
In the end you feel that helping another people is something that you really appreciate in life and you just want to do more and more!
So be a volunteer and enjoy your life!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Monica, thanks for your review of our Peru program. It's great to hear that you had such a rewarding experience and made some lasting memories. The effort that you put into your contribution to the program - it is really appreciated by the community. We look forward to having you volunteer with us at IVHQ again soon! ^ Aydan - IVHQ Peru-Cusco Program Manager

Cara

IVHQ Cusco Program

This program was wonderful. Starting from the pickup at the airport, everything was taken care of. This was my first volunteer trip with IVHQ and it will not be my last. I made so many friends in this program. I recommend to anyone looking for an affordable and impactful way to travel!

All of the staff that I encountered were wonderful and the homestay felt very safe and welcoming. I was conveniently located just a few blocks from the town square as well. As for excursions, the staff was more than willing to make recommendations. I ended up doing a day trip to Machu Picchu through America Inca Trail. As for my volunteer placement, our staff member showed us how to use the public bus system in order to get there and made sure we knew what was expected of us. This was a great time!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Cara, I'm so glad to hear you had a rewarding experience on our Peru - Cusco program. The effort you put into your contribution to the project is greatly appreciated. We can't wait to have you back again with IVHQ. ^Aydan - IVHQ Peru - Cusco Program Manager