Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Cusco from $320

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Cusco and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 10 volunteer project options in Cusco and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a homestay, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Cusco, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Cusco:

• Animal Care
  • Construction and Renovation
  • Andean Immersion
  • Spanish Service Learning Course
  • IVHQ’s Cusco program is available year-round, offering a start date on every Monday
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $320 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 25 and 60 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Cusco each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Machupicchu
Rebecca

Childcare in Cusco

I have spent 4 weeks in Cusco in a childcare program. I was hosted by a wonderful family just ten minutes away from the city center. Maximo Nivel (the local office) was located exact in the center of Cusco and its staff was really helpful to me. I enjoyed spending time in the cafeteria and all the activities they organized for the volunteers, such as Salsa Class, Cooking Class and the Market Tour. My program was held just 40 minutes away from the office and I used to work with children aged 4-16. I used to spend there 4 hours in the afternoon, giving them food, helping them with their homework and playing games. One of my favorite day there was when we organized a Fashion Show with the children: it was very hard to keep the kids quiet but many important people were there, such as a major's delegate. I also spent my weekends traveling around Cusco, I have been to Machupicchu, Rainbow Mountain, Salt Mines and few other places. I loved spending time there and enjoyed so much meeting new people. I would really recommend to spend few weeks in Cusco, it is hard to manage the cold but it is definitely worth it!

Isabella

Construction in Cusco

I loved volenteering in Cusco! I met so many new friends, immersed myself in a new culture, did some sight seeing, and helped a community out while doing so. I had never done construction before but I still felt useful and like my work made an impact thanks to the support from the field manager. Working was fun because I was surrounded by other volenteers who shared their stories. My home stay experience was the best. They made me feel at home with the best food, and clean and comfortable accommodations. I would recommend this project to anyone.

Tell volenteers in advance when they won’t have to work.
Lindsey

Cusco Peru

My five weeks in Cusco, were absolutely amazing. I loved waking up everyday to go and take care of a bunch loveable dogs. My host family was great and so were all of the friends I made along the way. Cusco is a great city for travel and adventures because it’s super close to Macchu Pichu, Montana de Colores and tons of cool Incan ruins and beautiful landscapes. Peru is a beautiful country with lots to offer make sure that you come with good outdoor shoes and an adventurous spirit 10/10 would recommend.

Makana

Special Needs Care-Cusco

This was my first time traveling abroad alone as well as participation in a volunteering program. From the start of my journey to the end, IVHQ made me feel very welcome and safe and were very organized. From the airport transfer to the orientation, the home stay and the volunteering program itself, they had my back. IVHQ uses Maximo Nivel in Peru and the entire staff were there to answer my questions, gave me advice for reasonable taxi services and taught me Spanish through the Spanish lessons they offer. My Spanish teacher was very good. I knew where to book my weekend travels and met very nice people along the way. As an older traveler (51) I felt right at home and connected with like minded individuals. The children at the home I worked at were beautiful and taught me so much about the simplicity of life itself with their smiles and joy to see me. I highly recommend IVHQ and plan to volunteer again in another country. Sincerely, Makana Busher

Scoop

IVHQ jungle conservation, cusco

Had a really amazing experience living in jungle, met some lovely people, did some really cool treks into jungle, mammal monitoring, caiman monitoring, harvesting orchids etc. The Panthera reserve is really beautiful, especially at sunset! Couldn't recommend IVHQ highly enough- the staff were always so helpful before/during/after the trip and the other volunteers were also really great! Lots of friendly monkeys around the place too!

Would love a bit more emphasis on planting trees etc and not as much clearing invasive species etc.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi, Thanks for sharing about your time on the Jungle Conservation project - it sounds like you had a truly unique and incredible experience! I hope that this volunteer trip will be one of many for you. ^Charlotte - IVHQ Peru Program Manager

Kenia

Medical Project in Cusco, Peru

I recently came back from volunteering on a medical project in Cusco, Peru. Partnering with Maximo Nivel, I volunteered at a small clinic called Centro de Salud Dignidad Nacional doing a variety of tasks. I got to work closely with the chief of medicine there as well as rotate with other doctors and nurses. I honestly loved every second of this experience.

I became extremely close to the clinic staff there, so much so that they invited me to parade with them during their annual Inti Raymi festival. We still keep in touch and I am currently making plans to return in December! Cusco is a magical place full of history and kindness. You will definitely find adventure here! So much to do, especially in the month of June.

This program is fantastic! Definitely remember to bring gloves, masks, and stethoscope. Venture out of your comfort zone and explore the surrounding areas of Cusco.

One thing that could be improved is the volunteer domicile placement. My home stay was pretty far from the plaza and my clinic placement, but the host family was incredible! Just wish it was a bit closer to better enjoy the plaza and nightlife.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kenia, Thanks for sharing about your experience on the Medical project! It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your time volunteering at the clinic and found the local staff friendly - I'm sure they are looking forward to your return! ^Charlotte - IVHQ Peru Program Manager

Tejbir

Cusco Peru, Teaching English, Biblioteca Kalphanchis - Tejbir Dhillon

Overall, if I can do this program again I would! The attitude you have is very important when teaching english is important. Especially if the kids are only 7 years old and up! Bear in mind when teaching (If you can not teach and explain the topic to someone like they are five years old then you are making it too hard!) this was a rule of thumb I tried to use when teaching and helping each student. Ensuring they understand, numbers, words, climate, landscapes, and Animals each with a simple lesson. With pictures, worksheets, games, tandem conversation, one on one practice and repetition.

Key tip if you are doing this program for over two weeks take the time to learn spanish it greatly improves the learning for the kids and your growth and experience while teaching english. I took spanish classes for a total of 3.5 weeks and the kids will help you learn spanish! Funny enough it is like an exchange or tandem conversation sometimes my Spanish greatly improved with the combination of lessons, and kids helping me. Correcting me and laughing at my broken spanish! Practicing with kids is one of the best ways to improve your spanish. You have nothing to lose they are young and only care to laugh, learn, and help you! Just like how you might find it funny when they are speaking english and say some words with a different accent. You are a team help each other get better at English and Spanish. I was very glad to have practiced spanish and if there is one additional recommendation I would try to have done more tandem conversations or one on one spanish lessons in addition to my group lessons as I have come to the final week my Spanish has really gotten stronger as a result of working with the kids and teaching English.

Be prepared do not show up to the class with no plan, I did my best to have at least 2 different lesson plans to adjust for different student groups and skill levels. Always have a back up plan because there will be days where the students are not motivated! That is alright not one person can be motivated everyday that is your job to adjust and see what makes the student more interactive. Colour worksheets, games, and getting students to write on the board really helped them. Another technique is to understand what each student may want to get out of english one of the students really enjoyed to have vocal basic conversations with me each day in English. As a result I made it a goal to have at least one full conversation in English when I saw him.

Another student she really enjoyed to write on the board. As a result she would listen to me say a topic in english or a word/number and she would be instructed to write on the board. This helped with her listening, communication, and writing skills in english. If you can find the benefit and reason the students want to learn you will do great!

Go out, explore, talk to the locals and embrace the chance to be here. I loved the kids, local life and hiking of course the food was great!

Providing a more detailed itinerary beforehand regarding the housing, accommodations and what to expect in the first few days in detail regarding adjusting to the climate.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tejbir, Thanks for all of the great tips and ideas - I'm sure future volunteers will find these helpful! It's great to hear that you found the local team's language lessons helpful and enjoyed practicing your Spanish with the children! Thanks for being an IVHQer! ^Charlotte - IVHQ Peru Cusco Program Manager

Thomas

My Amazon experience

For as long as I could remember I had wanted to explore the Amazon. In 2017, with the help of IVHQ, I did just that. The experience was a highlight of my travels and something I will never forget.

We were an hour's boat ride from the nearest town, with limited electricity and no cell coverage or WiFi. The Rio Madres de Dios provided us with a means of showering, and our diet relied almost solely on non perishable foods. It was remote, basic and awesome.

For the reasons listed above, there was plenty of time for cards, board games and banter amongst the volunteers. By the end of the two weeks I'd made a lot of cool and interesting new friends, some of whom I caught up with again later in my travels.

The volunteering was interesting, valuable and at times challenging. Helping to develop an agroforestry plot, night time reptile monitoring missions, cutting jungle tracks and more; it was definitely varied.

What I'll remember most though, is the pure thrill and excitement of being in the Amazon. Wading at chest depth through Aguajales, keeping an eye out for anacondas. Paddling though caiman filled lakes in a leaking canoe. Discovering a tarantula crawling on my boots just as I'm about to put them on.

A unique experience such as this is probably best suited to a unique type of person, but don't be too put off, it's not all snakes and spiders. Just make sure you bring a head torch!

Tom

jungle experience of a life time

Jungle Experience of a life time!!!

I volunteered for 2 weeks in the Peruvian Amazon, 1 hour down the Madre De Dios river from the small town of Puerto Maldonado. It was an unbelievable experiences, and couldn't recommend it anymore.

We spent our days cutting tracks, performing plant transplant, reptile monitoring and at nights we hunted for snakes in the jungle and camen on the river. For a man who isn't a fan of snakes I managed to wrap one around my neck and remove trees in an anaconda riddled swamp on the second day. Not only did the experience test my fears and introduced me to fantastic people from around the world , it also gave me the opportunity to contribute the sustainability of the sanctuary, benefiting the local community.

IVHQ were excellent from the start to the finish, ensuring everything went smoothly and helped with every question asked. Big shout out to Clover from IVHQ, you were a big help!!

better food!!!!!
Florence

Cusco, you need to go!

I went to Cusco in June-July, for 5 weeks! I voluntered 3 weeks in a school with kids and 2 weeks in the zoo of the University. Both of programs was so much fun ! Just a little warning : dont accept the food at the school , the kid and the teacher can put some pression but it's important to say NO! I said yes and i've made an indigestion 2 hours after, for 5 days... nice ! Aditionnaly, the staff is really amazing and always there if you need help! My host-family was really cool and we were 13 volunteers in the same house , so its easy to make activity with them during the evening! In perou, I've discover some wonderful people, amazing places, good food and a different culture! My best memories was to visit Plaza del Armas, the Macchu Picchu, rainbow mountain, Moray, salt mines and the lake Titicaca during the weekend. The organisation American Inca Trail is a great staff to organize your tours! Finally, Just do it !

Before our departure, me and my friend asked to be in the same host-family. The staff tell us that she will do with. But when we arrived , we were not assigned to the same family! We were little bit disapointed but hopefully the driver was nice and bring us to the same house. So, maybe be more carefull about the special demands of vulunteers and be shure that it's repected. Except that, all was really good :)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Florence, It's nice to hear from you! It sounds like you had a wonderful experience across your projects and exploring the wonders of Peru. Thanks for your feedback and for being a wonderful volunteer. We hope you'll join us again in the future. ^Andrea - IVHQ Peru - Cusco Program Manager

Anna

My volunteer program with ivhq/Maximo nivel

My trip was amazing and very life meaningful. Not only did the employees and host family make sure I was comfortable at my host house the staff was unbelievably helpful and useful. I Met some amazing people on the way and helped the community as a whole instead of small issues and it was such an amazing experience to be able to be apart off. The program was very safe and effective and put the money paid to very good use such as anything the program may require or need.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Anna, Thanks for sharing! We are stoked to hear that you had a life-changing experience in Peru - Cusco and felt your efforts contributed to the local community. We have loved having you volunteer with us and we would happily welcome you again in the future! ^Andrea - IVHQ Peru Cusco Program Manager

Matthew

Construction and renovation in Cusco with maximo nivel

Overall, my time volunteering in the construction of a new children's hospital clinic in Cusco has been incredibly rewarding and memorable. Process can be slow at times, but it is a fulfilling experience to see every step taken towards the construction of a new building. The people I worked with were always enthusiastic, and the people at IVHQ were always helpful, especially Derek. Even coming here with an open mind, it's hard to imagine what day to day life would be like in Cusco. My advice to other volunteering is to be helpful, proactive, and cooperative on the worksite, as it's not going to be what it is like at home. The one thing I wish IVHQ did more of is be more open with their budgeting and what money is directly going towards. We pay an extra $65 USD per week exclusively for the construction and renovation project, yet we frequently could not afford materials such as windows and floor tiles. Consequently, this makes volunteering go even slower when you dont have the materials on hand. Regardless, I loved my time volunteering in Cusco and I recommend it to everybody.

Be more open with budgeting
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Matt, Thanks for sharing your experience on the Construction and Renovation project. I couldn't agree more with your advise to further volunteers. I thank you again for your feedback and for allowing us to take your reflections on board.

Jessica

Medical and childcare

Working with IVHQ made everything very simple. The entire trip went smoothly. Even planning the trip was super easy with the help of IVHQ. They were available to answer any questions I had and offered suggestions along the way. They have great connections in Peru which was reassuring. This was my first solo trip and I wouldn't have changed a thing! I just got back from Peru a few days ago and am already thinking about where to go next!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jessica, We're happy to hear everything went smoothly. Congratulations on completing your first solo trip, mark it off the bucket list! Thanks again for your great review and we hope you will join us again in the future!

Tarah

My IVHQ Trip to Cusco, Peru

My trip to Cusco was everything that I had wanted it to be. The IVHQ team prepared me with overview modules online, providing resources, and giving safety information. I felt safe and ready to go on my first international trip, which was really important for me.
My experience in Cusco was crazy from the start. I went to teach English as a second language but arrived when Cusco was in the middle of a teaching strike. The local team, Maximo Nivel, was extremely supportive and set me up working at night with adults. I got to spend every evening teaching English to firefighters! I had a co-teacher who I became really great friends with and the firefighters sang Happy Birthday to her on our last day, which was a fantastic way to end our two weeks there.
I wish I could describe to you just how wonderful all of the firefighters and the local staff made me feel. I cannot wait to go on my next adventure with IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tarah, We are so happy to hear that your program in Cusco was everything that you wanted it to be! It sounds like your teaching placement was a very worthwhile alternative considering the strikes. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.
Andrea – IVHQ Peru Cusco Program Manager

Meet Nicole Pochat!
Nicole

Unforgettable experience at Cusco, Peru.

It all started with a spontaneous decision to do volunteering abroad this summer and International Volunteer HQ made it all possible. Their guidance, accessibility, interactive training and full support in my process made me feel prepared enough to take a flight to Cusco.

In an eye blink I was already in Peru. The city of Cusco is completely surprising every moment you spend at it; it’s such a vibrant, beautiful, magical little town from whom you fall in love with. Filled with so many polite and helpful people at every corner, delicious and exquisite cuisine, Incas history is so extraordinary and each day you experience something completely different from the one before.

I was the luckiest to be placed in orphanages with kids that are so sweet, bright, happy and grateful every minute of the day. We spend our time together playing, dancing, singing, laughing and letting me teach them English because they have the will to learn every moment. I gained so much sensitivity and closeness from this kids and they have the biggest affection for life that’s so inspiring.

Also, making new friends from all over the world everyday, spending my nights partying while getting to know the city at night and traveling the weekends to places like Machu Picchu, Sacred-Valley, Moray, Rainbow Mountain and Lake Humanity where pictures and words are not enough to explain what it's like to be there, will be memories that will last in my heart forever.

I can honestly say it was one of the best life changing experiences I have ever had. My time in Peru was full of all kind of emotions, amazing stories, close bonds with friends and unforgettable days and nights. This was my first IVHQ experience but I'm sure that after what I lived, it will not be the last one and I'm so excited to see what future volunteers abroad have for me.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nicole, Wow! What an awesome review! Thanks so much for taking the time to so eloquently share a little of your experience volunteering and exploring in Cusco, Peru. Is has been a pleasure to assist you in making this trip happen and we are excited to see where the journey takes you next!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...