Become an Online Mentor

Due to COVID we are putting expeditions on pause but you can still change the world by becoming an online mentor to a child in a developing country.

We take care of everything so each day so you can just focus on changing lives and enjoying your experience!
This humanitarian expedition will provide REAL experiences. By building a library, you will help those who are less fortunate have something that will truly change their lives and the lives of generations to come. During your time you will teach classes, visit homes, read with the children, build a library, and celebrate the completion of the library with the village.

You will have the chance to immerse yourself in the culture of Latin America as well as spend two days seeing the beauty of the country.

Village Book Builders is founded on the desire to bring knowledge to children and families across the world by building community libraries.

• Professional guide leading and supporting the team 24/7
  • All inclusive: accommodations, meals, project supplies, and transportation
  • The opportunity to enter the homes of the villagers and understand their way of life
  • Custom meals according to your diet or allergies
  • Two excursion days to see the beauty of your service country

Impact

Creating reading habits with young readers will change the course of their lives and their future.

Christmas Break Expeditions Open

Belize is open for registration. Come spend your Christmas giving back through service travel in the Caribbean!

Popular Programs

Mexico Volunteer Expedition

Build a library in Cuyapa, Mexico with guided volunteer expeditions.

Peru  Volunteer Expedition

Build a library in Chachapoyas, Peru with guided volunteer expeditions.

Belize  Volunteer Expedition

Build a library in Orange Walk, Belize with guided volunteer expeditions.

Kevin

Village Book Builders - Belize

This was such a great experience! You get to see the people in the country you go to in a way that you never do through other travels. You can not only connect with locals but also see their appreciation for the help you are providing and the opportunities they are being given. The people love the chance they are given to empower themselves as a result of the service that you do and you get amazing travel experiences along the way. Everyone is kind and respectful and wants to help the volunteers and locals have the best experiences possible.

If you are considering going on a trip, stop considering and just go.
Tim

Building a Library in Belize

The Village Book Builder Experience in Belize was amazing. It was a great feeling to serve the children in a school that had minimal library and computer resources and see the impact we can make for their future. The coordinators were great, the contacts in country were great, and accommodations were great outside of the normal tourist areas. We also got to go on a couple excursions to see Mayan ruins and go cave tubing. This helped us gain an appreciation of the country itself along with the great relationships we met through the school. My 13 year old daughter also came with me and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
On our Cave Tubing excursion, our Tour Guide taught us that termites can be eaten as a good source of protein for survival. So, I bit into a termite and ate it.
Gayle

Make a difference!

My experience opening a library with Village Book Builders in the village of Darwin in Peru was incredible! To bring that resource to this community was life changing for me as well as the people of Darwin. The coordinators from Village Book did an excellent job making sure the volunteers had everything needed to do our jobs. Our comfort and safety was always a priority with them. The children of Darwin were so excited to have us in their village. They were thirsty for the knowledge the library was bringing. We visited every home in the village to share the news of the new library and promote family reading. The people were so gracious and grateful to us. It was a very humbling experience, one I will never forget. I highly recommend Village Book Builders. You can be sure every dime is going to improve the lives of people who truly need it! I plan to volunteer on another library with them soon!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Alligator! Surprisingly delicious! The villagers brought some to the library opening celebration. Then on our excursion to the Amazon jungle it was served for lunch and dinner!
Ivonne

Amazing expirence

If you want to plant a seed of good in this world and at the same time have fun, meet new friends in a great place and fulfil your propose in life this is the place for you. So sign now and enjoy life!! You are not going to regret it!!!!!
The experience of Build a Village Library in Mexico was amazing in so many ways. We have the opportunity to make a huge change in children lives and maybe for you and me sound easy because we have access to some many things but for them reading gives them the opportunity to dream, to expand their dream and ergo to achieve more for their own families, community, country. region and who could know... maybe even the world. Besides we had the opportunity to meet new friends, eat a lot of different and really tasty food while we visit one of the world wonders.

What was your funniest moment?
It is so difficult to pick just one...mmmmm could be the opening moment where the town could see finally the library finish and all the faces astonish and very very happy
Paul

Village Book Awesome Charity

Our trip to Mexico with Village Bookbuilders was one of the best personal experiences I have had in a foreign country. The growing organization is well-managed our trip was well planned. We were able to enjoy a couple of side trips to add to our vacation but the best part was being with the people of Mexico and making a difference in the lives. I would recommend Village Bookbuilders to everyone. Everyone should send their teenagers on one of these trips. We had a choice to live with one of the families we were helping or stay in a nice hotel. My wife and I chose the hotel. After seeing how much fun my son-in-law and my grand son had staying with a family we will definitely try that next time. Travel arraignments were great food was good the company was great!

I have followed this charity and have been impressed with there for site and the number of new libraries they have built. My wife and I and possibly some grandchildren are planning a trip with them soon.
Michael

#onlywithVBB

My wife Kaylin and I had such a fulfilling trip with Village Book Builders in the Yucatan. The cultural immersion was my favorite part. We didn't spend the entire time building a structure. We taught classes to the children and went into the community to speak with the villagers about why we were there. We were even invited to spend new year's eve at a local home and experience their traditions.

As a cherry in top, we had an amazing time seeing the local sites. We swam in a cenote, saw pyramids and snorkeled with moray eels.

I cannot recommend this experience enough. We will go on another expedition as soon as we can.

Or group had a diverse group ranging from students to older folks. We had couples, kids and solo travelers. Everyone got along incredibly well.

Mitch

A Lot of Work, All Worth It

We spent this trip in a small village that overlooked the city of Nauta, right off the Amazon River. It was here where we spent long days raising up the walls of the library and showcasing the resources of the library to children who flipped through pages faster than we could read. Here where we stayed nights under the Peruvian stars, cataloging books before returning to our sleeping quarters, crossing amazonian swampland via wobbling wooden bridge. Although the physical construction of the library is essential to the VBB's mission of globally spreading a culture of reading around the word, it was not the construction that keeps kids yearning to learn more. Instead, this is accomplished through the display of volunteer excitement in books, promoting the avenues that reading opens for bibliophiles. Books can provide an escape from poverty. They do this both mentally through the emotional outlet they provide in fantastic stories (both by reading and writing them!); but they also do this logistically through their intrinsic connection to education, driving interest while opening opportunities for social mobility.

There has yet to be a day passing in which I don't think about the dedication that the village had in providing this asset for future generations. Although we had many late nights in Darwin Grandes, giving it our all for the week we were there, it will be the village who sustains the library. I have no doubt that our collaboration with them will be fruitful for generations to come, and I can't wait to hear about their progress.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I wish we could spend more time there, with the community. A week is a great short term exposure to a different lifestyle, but I feel like we do a disservice in not allowing ourselves to grow and learn within the communities.
Amanda

Village Book Builders- Chicán

My experience with Village Book Builders is one I’ll never forgot! I loved working so closely with the community and it was incredible to see the impact our work had on those wonderful people. It was really fun getting to additionally travel all around Mexico and experience the culture. I feel so blessed that I was able to find such an amazing group to go with! I would definitely recommend Village Book Builders to anyone who is looking for a way to serve. Another great thing about this group is that they build libraries! This is something that really makes a positive impact wherever you go! Some other humanitarian projects can sometimes cause problems for third world villages they visit, but this group betters the community and strengthens education!

Response from Village Book Builders

Thank you Amanda we loved having you there!!