Volunteer in Peru: Medicine, Childcare, Teaching, and Animal Rescue

Get hands-on experience protecting endangered wildlife in the Amazon rainforest or teach English in the beautiful Andes! Work alongside doctors and nurses at an Andean medical clinic, manage a social tourism organization, or care for children from remote areas of the Amazon jungle! Whatever you're looking for, you'll find it with NGO Taxi.

As a NGO Taxi volunteer you will experience unparalleled insight into Peruvian culture through a life-changing volunteering experience, while partaking in exciting adventure tours and polishing your Spanish skills. Our programs are an amazing way to connect with the rich culture of Peru, while helping local communities or protecting precious and diverse wildlife.

Our rainforests and their surrounding communities need us now more than ever - join us!

• Many of our programs include intensive Spanish courses– a great way to boost your language skills.
  • We offer a number of tours so you can explore the adventurous side of Peru on your days off!
  • Most of our programs last a minimum of 4 weeks, giving you time to truly integrate into the community and develop your skills.
  • We run programs year-round, starting on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month.
  • 24/7 in-country support.

Impact

We at NGO Taxi seek to provide long-term, sustainable solutions to serious problems affecting the Amazon Rainforest and surrounding communities. Our projects focus on rescuing and rehabilitating endangered wildlife affected by deforestation and trafficking, providing rural communities with healthcare support, and improving English language education to help locals find work in the tourism industry.

COVID-19: New Flexible Booking Policy!

Due to COVID-19 and subsequent travel restrictions, NGO Taxi is implementing a new flexible booking policy so you can book stress-free.

Programs start dates disrupted by COVID-19 can now be postponed, free of charge - please get in contact for full information!

Popular Programs

Woman and her baby at a market in South Africa

Help us in the fight against illegal logging and poaching in the Amazon Rainforest!

The Jungle Camp is located on a part of the rainforest owned and protected by a researcher and scientist. You will help him with his efforts in reforestation, education of volunteers and the local community, and data collection for scientists and biologists. Your work will not only preserve incredible Amazon flora and fauna but also protect the rich heritage of the indigenous people who live here.

Man with a monkey on his shoulder

Join an indigenous Harakmbut family in their efforts to rescue and rehabilitate rare and endangered animals!

Be a part of the ongoing work against animal trafficking: find and rescue injured or illegally taken animals, aid in their medical care and rehabilitation, and help release them back into the wild when they're ready. There's no better place to get hands-on experience with some of the most exquisite wildlife in the world!

A woman teaching in Peru.

Near Cusco and Machu Picchu, the ability to speak English is essential to finding a well-paying job in the tourism industry. Join us in one of four schools in the Andes to help children gain better access to English language education!

As a volunteer teaching assistant, you will work alongside a teacher to plan and deliver lessons, support and motivate students, give one-on-one help, and organize activities inside and outside the classroom.

People in Peru lined up at a medical clinic.

Get hands-on experience working alongside doctors and nurses in a medical clinic in the Peruvian Andes!

Learn all about the daily work of running a rural health clinic and gain insight into the medical and logistical issues of developing countries in South America.

A school and shelter built in the Peruvian Amazon for children.

Make a difference in children's lives, in one of the most breathtaking landscapes in Peru!

At the shelter, you will help care for children and adolescents from remote and impoverished Amazon communities. Help keep the facility tidy and running, organize and lead group activities and sports, and assist in the children's educational needs...all while learning about their lives in the jungle!

Stella

Internship in Peru

My name is Stella, I am 18 years old, and I was an intern at NGO Taxi for the past 3 months. After school, it was clear to me that I would do a gap year before studying at a University to see the world and to use this time to orientate myself. I didn't want to travel only from place to place, but I wanted to emerge into another country’s culture and way of living. When I read the description of the internship in Cuzco it matched exactly what I had imagined in my mind: be in one of the most beautiful cities of South America, in a country that has a lot of historical and cultural background and to be able to contribute a social act to society while at the same time learning so many new things about organization, marketing and communication.
I have to say that I really enjoyed my time in Cuzco because there are so many places in the area to explore and there is always a change of people in the HQ apartment. Although I only had one week of Spanish class because I already knew how to speak Spanish, I think that it is well organized and the teacher does a great job. Besides the classes she invited us plenty of times to show us how Pisco sour is made, to Salsa classes, to share typical food together or to go to a poor hospital and give the people sandwiches and hot chocolate.
As an intern I learned a lot about how an NGO works and about marketing strategies. In addition, another volunteer and me developed a new sport project . As you can manage your time individually you have the freedom to work whenever you want as long as you finish all the expected tasks. At first, I found it strange that we had no own office, but in the end I loved to sit in one of the cute cafés in San Blas and work from there, and I was happy to have time to do sports, paint in my sketchbook and learn for the TOEFL test in my free time.

I would improve the communication between us volunteers and the responsible person here. Besides, I would have liked to visit the other project sites as part of my internship as I was told.