Volunteer as an English Teacher in Romania

Spend a week in a 4 star hotel in the beautiful Romanian countryside.

Welcome to Angloville!

Angloville offers cultural exchange programmes where volunteers receive free board and lodging in the beautiful Romanian countryside in exchange for helping local programme attendees practise their English language skills.

A typical 6 day programme is spent in a stimulating environment mixing with Romanian and native English speakers in a series of casual one-on-one conversations, group activities, negotiations, hiking, walking, swimming, meals (with both Romanian and English speakers) and entertainment all in a relaxed and informal atmosphere.

This is a fantastic opportunity to explore the beauty of Eastern Europe and meet people not only from various backgrounds and professions but all over the world.

Matthew

Angloville - exhausting but rewarding

I highly recommend Angloville programs for anyone that is looking for an affordable trip between projects or school years, already backpacking through Europe, or looking to be TEFL-certified. Although this is the farthest thing from the typical classroom structure - which I am used to - there is an element of WORK incorporated into the schedules. Again, this is more WORK than holiday!

I was someone who was looking for a tuition-free TEFL certification, potential hours for TESOL certification, and opportunities for TEFL/TESOL-related work in the future. Therefore, Angloville provided me with invaluable education and experience. This rewarding experience was well-earned: do expect 12-hour days (2 hour breaks), little to no time between program weeks, and little privacy and personal space... all things I learned to not mind with time. Similar to my Angloville participants, I learned to overcome my anxieties and be more vocal at home and at work. I promise you will learn many, many things about yourself while at Angloville.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have definitely schedule more break WEEKS - not just days - between program weeks. Volunteer schedules and energy levels are never considered during recruitment. Know your limits during a work week, and then factor in one day or less for break time.
Niall

One Week in Bran

I learned about Angloville online without any sort of personal reference, so when I read that a programme would be willing to pay for transport across Romania as well as a week of meals and accommodation I was immediately interested, as someone attempting to travel with a budget. When I met the staff at the bus on our first day everyone was very kind and welcoming, there is a sense of community in Angloville from the get-go and it only gets stronger as you go. The most challenging part of the programme was trying to keep the participants English stimulated constantly! This begins at breakfast at 9am and doesn’t really end until 10pm, with an hour and half break in between. However this is easily made up for by the friendships formed between the volunteers, coordinators and the participants themselves. Our accommodation was great and made an effort to make meals for those with a vegetarian diet. However, the electricity and water at times were not reliable, but this happened only occasionally. I’ve made great friends from the programme and I’m so happy to have taken part! My advice for those preparing is that Angloville sometimes feels like a lot of work - but it’s really just a lot of fun!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I was unfamiliar with the sheer variety of salted soft cheese Romania produced - though thoroughly content with it.
Manon

Great experience!

This is a great experience that I would 100% recommend! You get to meet people from all over the world whether they are other volunteers, participants or coordinators that might become great friends (I am still in contact with people from all of the programmes I participated in). Everyone comes from a different background and has interesting stories to share and something to teach you. You will get some experience "teaching" English, organizing and/or monitoring activities, mentoring and guiding the participants but you will also learn a lot from them and all the other people involved in the programme! Plus you get to discover a new country/part of the country!

Mary

Good

It was great. The locals were nice and interested, I had a good time. I also learned a bit of Romanian. I'm planning to go back and work there as a permanent English teacher. It seems to be easy to find a job in Romania as an English speaker but it's not. I love the country so this is why I joined. I guess Prince Charles's love for Transylvania convinced me, for this beautiful peaceful places.