Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Samoa

Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Samoa

Join Projects Abroad in Samoa in one of our volunteer programs! Volunteer projects take place in and around the capital of Apia where tradition is strong in the Pacific island of Samoa.

Volunteer opportunities include working with children in need in one of our Care, Teaching, or Sports placements, as well as a Culture & Community project that takes you to the heart of Samoan fascinating village life. You can also intern in Journalism, Nutrition, Veterinary Medicine & Animal Care, or Physical Therapy to gain some international experience for your resume or college applications.

Visit the Projects Abroad website for more information on these volunteer projects!

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Live and work in the local community
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends
Oceania » Samoa
Apia

Amber
Australia

Volunteering in Samoa

Last year I volunteered in Samoa, and it was the most amazing experience I have ever had.

The staff at the Projects Abroad office were wonderful. It was my first time travelling overseas on my own so I was so far out of my comfort zone. The team helped me settle in and showed me around the town, explaining how to get to and from my placement and house. They offered 24/7 support (thankfully I didn't need it) which was a great comfort.

I didn't know what to expect with Samoa, but I was blown away. Samoa is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Everywhere I looked I saw green and the houses were so colourful. It's nothing like my home in Australia. On the weekends I went out and did as much as I could. One of my favourite places was the Ocean Trench. It was so beautiful, definitely a place I would recommend everyone go.

When I first arrived I was so nervous and honestly a bit scared. My host family were fantastic. They comforted me and helped me with anything I needed. They were s friendly and always up for a chat and were so bubbly all of the time. The food they prepared was amazing and I missed it so much when I returned home.
I love my host family and Samoa so much, I went back for a holiday this year. I was lucky enough to stay with the family again and go out exploring with them as well.

At my placement the children were wonderful. It was quite difficult with the language barrier but they were always smiling and respected me. I was teaching them sports so after a few demonstrations they picked up what I wanted them to do and had a ball running around, kicking a ball in the dirt. It was so rewarding.

N/A

Liz
USA
Olivet Nazarene University

Nutrition Project in Samoa

I volunteered as a part of the nutrition team for a full month in Samoa. It was such a great experience. I had been given many tasks to achieve throughout the week and I could add whatever I wanted to do throughout the community. I taught nutrition education in schools, pregnancy centers, nursing homes, and got to come up with the lessons each week with my team. We were given money to buy whatever supplies we needed to make the lessons great. Projects Abroad wanted to reach as many people and truly make an impact. The staff were so encouraging and helpful throughout the entire experience, even when I was nervous and going out of my comfort zone. They really wanted me to learn as well from this experience which was something that I really wanted.
During the weekends, the volunteers all got together and we would explore the island. The staff were so helpful in giving us ideas of how to get around the island, the best places to go and stay, and how to be safe. Without the staff, the volunteers would have been lost but they were amazing. The home accommodations were different for everyone, but my host family was so nice and made food that I always liked. Overall, my experience was life changing and I would 100% recommend it.

maisiem
New Hampshire
Dartmouth College

Samoa Victim Support Group

This summer, I spent 5 weeks volunteering with Projects Abroad in Samoa. I volunteered with Samoa Victim Support Group (SVSG). I taught a classroom of 20 children aged 4-11. Having never taught before, I was nervous, but the Projects Abroad staff and the other volunteers provided an enormous amount of support. The Projects Abroad staff provided resources and facilitated conversations with other volunteers in which they shared their experiences and offered ideas. The Projects Abroad staff organized weekly socials in which we experienced Samoa together. These socials consisted of events like preparing an umu (a traditional way of cooking in Samoa), zumba class, and going out to dinner together. My host family was amazing! My host mother also worked with SVSG, and that connection provided another level of familiarity and comfort with the organization. As a vegetarian, I was nervous about being able to eat enough food, but my host mother experimented with her favorite traditional dishes and made vegetarian versions. My host siblings were so welcoming and I enjoyed playing rugby and soccer with them in the yard. The Projects Abroad staff was there for me during my entire experience. On my first day, they showed me around Apia and pointed out many important places including the main bus station which I would be using to commute to my placement. The Projects Abroad staff hosted workshops during my time which included a cultural workshop and a goals workshop. It was great to meet other volunteers from around the world and travel with them around Samoa during the weekends. My favorite things to do included hiking Mt. Vaea, snorkeling at Pololo Deep, and exploring the island of Savai'i. I would recommend this experience to anyone looking to volunteer abroad!

I would organize a better line of communication between SVSG and ProjectsAbroad.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those