Dyer Island Cruises: Whale & Eco Tours

Dyer Island Cruises: Whale & Eco Tours

Dyer Island Cruises is situated in Gansbaai, South Africa. Our 2 ½ hour trip will introduce you to the Marine Big 5 (whales, great white sharks, dolphins, seals and penguins) and ensure great opportunity for memorable pictures. An on board marine biologist educates guests about the amazing animals that visit the shores every year. We are certified by Fair Trade in Tourism, live by our motto ‘Discover and Protect’ and work together with the Dyer Island Conservation Trust. A trip with Dyer Island Cruises includes coffee/tea and muffins on arrival, an educational briefing, life-jacket and wet weather gear, soup and bread upon return followed by a debriefing. Guests are welcome to purchase a video of the trip afterwards. Dyer Island Cruises offer a five star service and our staff/crew members are all highly experienced and passionate about their jobs. Weather you're a wildlife enthusiast or just enjoying South Africa's natural wonders, we have something for you.

Africa » South Africa
Tours run daily, weather dependent. See site for more details.
Gansbaai

Blair
Australia

Face to face with one of the worlds last great predators

I've been lucky enough to have been involved with Dyer Island Conservation Trust for the past two years. First as a volunteer, and then this year as a Research Intern. For anyone with a passion for the ocean and it's inhabitants, this program is like a dream come true. You'll be out at sea every day (except for bad weather), where you'll see Great White sharks, seals, penguins, whales, dolphins, and oceanic birds including majestic albatross if your lucky. To come face to face with a Great White Shark if a lifetime highlight guaranteed. The marine biologists you'll work with are incredibly generous with their knowledge, not to mention just straight out good fun to be around! And this program just seems to attract a great mix of people in both ages, nationality etc that allows for a great social scene after a long day out at sea. Braais (BBQ's) at the volunteer house are an institution, as are sunset drinks overlooking the bay at DeKelders. As for the staff, they treat you like family and you can't help but feel it back. You'll help out on the cage diving vessel, have the chance to be involved in real research, take a trip on the whale watching vessel and so much more. Basically if the sea is your passion, then this is for you!

TK
Nebraska

Sharks are fantastic!

I first volunteered with Marine Dynamics four years ago and have been coming back every year since. What an amazing experience! It is such an honor to see great white sharks everyday. I learn so much while I am here and the marine biologists are wonderful to work with.

Alex
Davis, California

Truly Inspiring trip

The project speaks for itself. Having the opportunity to dive and interact with Great White Sharks on a daily basis was an experience I will never forget. I also was able to discuss conservation and biology principles with the staff, other volunteers, and tourists; people from all corners of the world. It's a priceless learning experience.

The staff of this project take the time to really get to know you on a personal and professional level. They go out of their way to make sure the volunteers are getting the most out their volunteer experience and that they are having the trip of a lifetime. Tracey would visit me at the volunteer house, take me and others out to dinners or out on the town when we had shorter days. She even helped arrange local entertainment (ATV riding, Capetown adventures, sky diving, etc) They treat you like someone who belongs there. When the owner found out I was studying to be a veterinarian, he arranged for me to assist the local veterinarian in a couple injured bird cases. Basically, you always have things to do there, even if they are not directly affiliated with the research project. I believe this volunteer project has a great future ahead of it, and my greatest hope is to return someday.

Operating in Gansbaai, Western Cape, a world hot spot for the great white shark, you will experience an incredible cage diving adventure on board our custom designed boat, Slashfin, (named after one of our visiting sharks). An on board marine biologist will educate you as