Missionvale Community Medical Volunteer Program

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Khaya Volunteer.

The Missionvale Care Center operates in the extremely poor informal shack land township of Missionvale in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. It has grown into a Center which provides love and care for the poor and destitute, with particular emphasis on those living with HIV/AIDS.

Missionvale Care Center is a non-profit organization committed to providing quality care and support to improve the life of the people of Missionvale through love, consultation, participation and self-development. The center really looks at the circumstances of the people to determine what they need.

Volunteers will assist in a variety of ongoing daily activities such as assisting in the food distribution unit by making food parcels and handing them out, the clothing warehouse, the clinic, joining the caregivers on their home visits in the surrounding townships, assisting at the school and library and much more.

Every day will be different but you wil be sure you can make an impact at Missionvale!

Kevin

Wonderfully worthwhile opportunities at Missionvale

Missionvale run so many worthwhile activities it is almost impossible to select one however the community garden project stands out for me as it offers the prospect of becoming self-sufficient in vegetables which would enhance family nutritional intake. I also found making sandwiches for school children to be very rewarding as it was for many the only certain meal of their day. While the Christmas parcel section delivering upwards of 6,000 presents would undoubtedly generate much goodwill and satisfaction.

personally i would prefer a slightly longer day -we arrived at Missionvale @ 9am and left around 3pm this left a very long evening and while the accommodation was very homely another hour or so at Missionvale would/could help to prevent boredom setting in.
Roos

Without hope, you have nothing!

Missionvale is a very structured volunteer program that has an amazing impact in the community of Missionvale. All people within the organisation are extremely friendly and willing to help. I enjoyed working with the ladies of the sowing-club the most, and it gives me a smile on my face to chat to the little youngsters in Afrikaans.

Sonja

Volunteering at a unique community center

After travelling the world for 1 1/2 years visiting different countries I came to South Africa to travel and also volunteer in Port Elizabeth. I volunteered at Missionvale township where help and support was needed, playing with the kids, doing activities, supporting the local community. I stayed in a volunteer house with other international volunteers. It was great to have people around to share experiences.
Initially I wanted to volunteer for two weeks, but because of the great time I had during my stay, I came back again after travelling in South Africa to volunteer and help out again. Missionvale is really a great unique community center within a township supporting the lives of the people in all different areas of life. The everyday diverse range of experiences I made, being in touch with the local people who support you during your stay and the volunteer house all together really made my stay and gave me an inside view of the daily life reality in a township.
After going back home for Christmas I couldn't stop thinking about my volunteer time in Port Elizabeth and three months later I came back now to work as a volunteer coordinator for all projects that Khaya is offering so I am the proven example that volunteer work can be really a life changing experience.

About Khaya Volunteer

Khaya offers unique and affordable volunteer projects in South Africa, Malawi and Tanzania working directly with local partners and projects. Khaya is proud to have a clear focus on ethical and responsible volunteering and works closely with the...