Become part of a lifesaving journey for young monkeys and baboons in South Africa. Rescue, nurture and rehabilitate injured and orphaned primate babies, helping these young to become strong and part of a family, ready for release to the wild.
This project is very hands-on, requiring volunteers to be bottle feeding the babies, watching over them as they play and helping with basic veterinary and care needs. You will certainly see where the phrase “cheeky monkey” comes from here!
Each day you will be helping with the food preparation, feeding, watering and cleaning of enclosures for the baby monkeys and baboons. Cleaning has never been so fun with three monkeys and two baboons dangling from your arms, head and waist! These creatures are very contact driven, and you will find you will probably have more hugs here than ever else in your life!
You will be living at the rehabilitation centre alongside the 400 monkeys and baboons (and other volunteers!).
- Get more monkey hugs than you could ever imagine on this inspiring monkey and baboon rehabilitation project
- Help to bottle feed baby monkeys and become a human climbing frame as they play
- Work hard to prepare food and clean the monkey enclosures, all with the reward that one day these primates will be released back to the wild
- Make a genuine contribution in monkey conservation, helping to release primates back to the wild after injury
- Explore the area of South Africa close to the Kruger National Park - you might even get to see the Big 5!