Work with the Big Five in South Africa

The Big Five Safari Reserve volunteer project is a unique conservation initiative that allows animals to be re-introduced to the area where they once roamed freely and so making a contribution to the conservation of our natural heritage.

Volunteers take part in the general activities to run the reserve working hand in hand with the local staff. The movement of the lions will need to be monitored every day, fence patrols, animal number counts, clearing invasive vegetation, tracking a wounded animal, maintaining roads and so much more happens on a daily basis on a reserve like this. As a volunteer you will be part of the bigger picture and contribute towards the growth and sustainability of this big 5 reserve.

Patricia

Volunteering at Amakhala Game Reserve

After my round-trip from Johannesburg to Capetown I chose to do voluntary work at Amakhala Game Reserve, in Paterson which is a one-hour drive from Port Elizabeth. My airport pick up was all arranged via Khaya and when I arrived at the voluntary house we left in a half hour for the game drive. Great! Let's spot that lion and leopard, my two animals missing to complete the big 5.

Looks like we did a game drive every morning, which is great because we saw a lot of animals. Not only the big 5, but also the most beautiful birds. In the afternoons we mostly had the social part of our day: 2 days a week we went to the local school and played with the children. Very fun! On other days we worked in the greenery of the reserve and, for example, kept the paths free of trees and bushes. Once a week we had a fun activity. Think of canoeing, going to the elephant farm or visiting the cat sanctuary. The weekends we were off and usually did something with the other volunteers like visiting Port Elizabeth.

To be short: if you want to see more of the beautiful animals and nature of South Africa, definitely do voluntary work at Amakhala Game Reserve!

To be short: more work.

I didn't feel really 'useful' as a volunteer.
The daily game drives were really fun and entertaining, but I expected more work / contact with animals.