Animal Conservation Volunteer in South Africa

Age
18 - 70 years
6 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Agape's wildlife conservation programme in South Africa gives volunteers the chance to engage in front-line conservation work, protecting endangered species in Marakele National Park in South Africa. Our local team of dedicated animal protection staff are committed to ensuring that the lions, white & black rhinos, elephants, leopards, cheetahs, buffaloes and hyenas of the Park are given the care they need, but we also require volunteers to help continue this vital work.

As a wildlife conservation volunteer in South Africa you will be involved in a variety of the exciting activities required to ensure that the animals native to Marakele National Park are protected from the growing threats of climate change and poaching. Some of the nature reserve volunteering projects that you will assist in include animal monitoring, anti-poaching, and park management. Volunteers go on at two game drives per day, ensuring that most of you time is spent where the need is greatest: with the animals.

• Front-line work with an experienced conservation team
  • Two game drives per day
  • Stay in a beautiful location right inside the National Park

A typical week of wildlife volunteer work in South Africa consists of a combination of getting close to the animals on game drives and time spent analyzing the results of your findings. You’ll go on two game drives per day (unless on house duty) with a break back at base for lunch, so there will plenty of opportunity to get up close and personal with some of South Africa’s amazing wildlife.

When not on game drives, your time nature reserve volunteering will be spent helping the team to analyse the results of their findings, and helping out with the specific needs of the day. Sundays are your day off and a chance to relax after the hard week’s work.

What's Included
Travel Insurance
Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare

Agape’s volunteers in South Africa live together with staff in a sprawling, spacious, refurbished farmhouse with dorm-style rooms and plenty of social areas. Set right in the bush, it's an amazing location right by the animals. But don't worry - there is a fence to keep out any potentially dangerous intruders! There is a recreation area for you to relax and socialise with your co-volunteers in the evenings and on the weekends. The recreation area has sofas, a kitchen, board games and wildlife books so that you can brush up your knowledge before a game drive.

You will be provided with three meals a day, though volunteers are asked to cook on Sundays. These will be a mixture of South Africa cuisine and more familiar Western dishes. We can cater for vegetarians and most allergies, but please be sure to let us know in advance if you have any specific dietary requirements.

We're proud that Agape's work in South Africa has already had an enormous impact on the environment we work in, and you can be a great help in continuing this good work. As a wildlife conservation volunteer in South Africa you will have an impact on all the animals you work with, as well as on the eco-system as a whole. But the best thing about volunteering? You get to come and see first-hand the impact you can make!

Hosted by Agape Volunteers

Agape Volunteers is a fully registered UK non-profit which specialises in placing thousands of volunteers abroad into projects across Africa, including childcare, teaching, medical, HIV, music and sports programmes., with prices starting at £510 all...

Availability

12 Weeks
$6270 USD

Ellis

South Africa was Amazing

Being a volunteer is an experience I will never forget. The staff and the other volunteers have all been wonderful. The knowledge and information they have on the animals, Marataba national Park, Africa and conservation is incredible. They have truly opened my eyes to how we could all make the planet a better place. As a volunteer they take you to the most beautiful places and get you involved in all kinds of activities to improve the park and the conservation of it. I’ve spent 2 weeks here I will take away so many memories and I would recommend this project to anyone.

My favourite bit of the whole trip was the animal tracking and monitoring which was just the most facilitating experience and provides an insight of what is required to support these animals in the long term

The accommodation is a little bit basic, which isn't a problem, but I think I should have been more prepared for that so I could have been ready!
Emeric

Amazing

A great adventure! I like green growing things so much.. I like the sun, I like animals. And I saw all these things in the Marataba section of Marakele national park! I enjoyed so much every single drive, even the rainy ones!
I saw lions a lot of times.. the big Anthony, the strong Balio, the cute Athena.. Uncountable zebras, impalas and warthogs. A lot of white rhinos, buffalos and giraffes. And all those elephants! I think that day I saw more elephants in a day than everything else in all other days, ahahah!
Not to mention the two bee eaters turned on by my whistles, ahahah!!!
But how to safely see all these plants and animals? Thanks to Julie's passion, Jason's precision, Sabrina's "impality" (AHAHAHAHAH, @Cameron Bec knows what I'm talking about! :D), Sebastian's simpathy, George's farts & dishes, and Koos's experience!
I liked to feel so relaxed and involved in work at the same time, as part of a bigger project!
Oh... I'll be back!

Make sure you read all the information before you arrive as there were lots of things which I really should have known before. I think Agape could have made this clearer.
Carol

Life changing experience

Do you yearn for an adventure &, at the same time, to do your bit to help save endangered animals & the environment?

I have just come back from my 4th visit to South Africa (2012- 2 weeks, 2013- a month, 2015- 3 weeks & 2016- 3 weeks) which probably says it all!

This passionate conservation team have just started on a new reserve for them in the Limpopo. The Marataba reserve is visually stunning & you can volunteer to help them with their work which includes two game drives a day!

You will meet volunteers of all ages from all over the world &, if you are good at mucking in with a team & doing your bit, you will love it.

My visits have always been a real adventure, each one has been different & you never know what the next day is going to bring!

A truly wonderful & exciting experience which I thoroughly recommend.

Honestly not sure what to put here, I have been back so often because it is incredible!
Emma

Wildlife conservation in South Africa

Although I don't think it is possible to capture in words my time in South Africa, here is a little something! My 3 weeks in South Africa were full of life changing and one-off life experiences and opportunities. Here’s a few of my favourites – elephant monitoring, walking through the bush, teaching children at a local school, enjoying the beauty of Sodwana Bay, hiking around False Bay, standing six metres from a rhino, helping to capture Mountain Reedbuck, touching an elephant's tongue, watching a leopard lie down in front of me, stoking a cheetah, tracking leopard movement around the lodge, doing static counts, watching the beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

I had an amazing 3 weeks in South Africa through a programme that offered me the chance to truly experience life in South Africa. My time in this wonderful country allowed me to develop the knowledge, skills, memories and a 'feeling' that could not have been gained in any other way. For that, I am genuinely thankful to Elton and Melissa for helping me live this experience for the 3 weeks! Thank you so much. And I think it's safe to say, I've caught the 'feeling' and I will be back one day!

The Agape wildlife programme is a bit more expensive than the other programmes due to the game drives and other activities, which are optional extras in the other countries.
Emma

Wildlife conservation in South Africa

The wildlife programme is a bit more expensive that the rest of the ones that Agape offers but that is likely due to the game drivers and other additional trips which are offered.