Tshega Christian Missions Volunteer Program

Tshega Christian Missions Volunteer Program

By Tshega Christian Mission   Reviews (4)   98% Rating

Tshega Christian Missions was etablished in 2006. We are a registrated Non Profit Organization situated in South Africa, Limpopo Province, Mopani District, Bolebedu South.

This area is the biggest rural area in South Africa. The province is second poorest in the country and has the biggest wild life variety. The organisation focuses on supporting native vulnerable families in a holistic way in the rain queen Modjadji area.

It is our Mission to be a moral and positive example in social services, providing a holistic, well balanced, dynamic service to all our beneficiaries in preparation for the effective functioning in a multi-cultural society whilst following Christ’s call in sharing the Gospel with the world through God’s wisdom and strength.

Tshega Christian Mission is founded on Christian faith, inspired by hope and acts to change the world through – compassion, a practical love and care for our community and the children we serve.

Africa » South Africa
1 Year+

Rating Values

Amelia
Sydney
University of Sydney

Wonderful volunteer opportunity

The entire team at Tshega Missions were incredibly helpful, and made settling in as a volunteer so easy. Their excellent integration of the volunteer program into their projects made sure that as a volunteer I felt both useful and valued, and I'm really pleased to say that I feel like I have helped them in making a great contribution to this community, as this is a community where even the smallest change can make a profound impact.
Marina, the volunteer coordinator, and Ellanie, the project founder, made sure that the volunteer's experiences were always positive, right from the moment we were welcomed to the project by the lovely children of the Lighthouse Academy.
They also ensured we had a wonderful time during our time off, as we enjoyed the swimming pool at the volunteer house, weekly evening trips to town in Tzaneen, as well as incredible weekend trips, including an amazing day at a local wildlife conservation centre with some young lions, as well as a truly incredible safari in Kruger National Park.

Sabine
Germany

What a great experience!

Tshega South Africa is an excellent programm which is supporting the community of Fobeni Village in a way of partnership to improve sustainable development.
The focus of the Programm consits of education,health and income for disadvantaged families and children.
The staff is using resourrces and skills which are already there.
As a Volunteer I could bring my own thoughts and ideas in and was feeling part of the Tshega family.
Because of the different programms I could have an input in several fields.
(School, social work, health prevention, youth work, handcraft...)
The support from the staff members to help me settle in was awsem, they really became friends.
The work with the children made my stay very special because I could see and hear from them the real African culture.
If you want to look inside Africa and outside of the tourism picture?
Than you are right at Tshega Christian Mission South Africa!
Cant wait to be there again :)

Anna
Stuttgart, Germany

Six weeks of wonderful new impressions

I did the volunteering program of Tshega Christian Missions during August and September 2014. From Monday to Tueasday we went to the the Lighthouse Acadamy and Lamb's Haven Kindergarten, what is the "main" project of Tshega. There we supported the children from Grade R up to Grade 3 during the classes and helped the weaker ones in reading and writing.
There are also 3 Outreaches in which the vonunteers are included. The first one ist Sara's Pirmary,a public School. At Sara's we had to teach the children of grade 1,2 and 3, because they don't learn that much from their teachers. So all the children were always really happy, when we learned with them!
The second outreach program is the disability centre. There we played, danced, painted, read... with the disabled children.
The last Outreach is the feeding scheme. The children can go there after School to get a warm meal by two ladies who cook for them. After lunch we volunteers did homework with them or played with them outside.
I really had fun with the children and all the members of Tshega. Everyone is so friendly, that you always feel very welcome and also "needed". And the most amazing thing is, that you really can recognize that your help is worth it. You can see an improvement and the children are really willing to learn something.

On the Weekends we always did great excursions. Marina, the volunteer manager, always brought us to very nice places. We did a Panorama tour in the mountains, visited Baby lions and tigers, went to the Kruger Nationalpark and so much more.

For me the volunteer project of Tshega Christian Missions was a really, really good decision. I learned so much about their culture, their way of living and I got so many new impressions. I really felt like beeing a part of a family with the other volunteers, because I got along very well with all the others.

When I had to change something about the program it would be the garden. I would like to plant a bigger garden nearby the school, to start planting vegetebles there. It would be a good improvement, because then thay didn't had do buy all the food for disability centre and feeding scheme.

Sabine
Near Cologne in Germany

Incredible Teamwork

I was overwhelmed by the work of the whole Tshega Team under the leadership of Ellanie van Royen. Everyone does a great job in the kindergarten and school and cares about the people in the villages. Tshega offers a much better education than the government school system to help children to escapes the circle of later unemployment and poverty.

For me it was perfect. Maybe one small thing: If the volunteers could have samples of the schoolbooks that are used, they could get a better impression of the lessons in which they assist.

Do you want to make a meaningful impact in the lives of disadvantaged and vulnerable children and women in South Africa!? Here is the opportunity of a lifetime! Volunteer at Tshega Christian Mission. You will mainly work with young children, sometimes orphaned but placed with