Sports coaching in Port Elizabeth

Sports coaching in Port Elizabeth

You can chose to coach either football, rugby, tennis, netball, hockey, cricket, swimming (summers only) and ultimate frisbee. Teaching and orphanage work also available either full time, part time or as a taster day.
Volunteers receive a good orientation before starting work and then go into the townships on the charity's minibus to coach at the schools where many of the children are HIV/AIDs orphans and very vulnerable. Coaching takes place at three different schools a day, five days a week. The work is very rewarding but also heart breaking when you see so much disadvantage.

Sharing the volunteer house with 20 to 40 other volunteers means that the evenings and weekends are for having some fun. Some excursions included and others can be booked from the Volunteer House (safaris, sky diving, bungee jump, shark cage diving...)

Africa » South Africa » Port Elizabeth
Africa » South Africa
Placement price includes:
Local airport transfers to and from Volunteer house, food at volunteer house, orientation on arrival, transport to work placements, t-shirts, some excursions on the weekends, donation to the charity.

Excludes:
Flights to Port Elizabeth in South Africa, travel insurance, visas (if applicable), vaccinations

Mark
Sheffield

Best experience

I was a bit worried about whether the charity would actually be completely what I wanted to get out of this experience. But in the end there was absolutely no need for me to worry. The time I had in South Africa is easily the best experience I have had so far!
The people I volunteered with and met on this experience will stay friends for life and it was incredible to work with people from all over the world who had similar interests and similar ways of thinking.
The volunteering side of it was incredible and I loved every minute of it (I coached rugby within the schools). Also the social side was brilliant! the fact that you have the weekends free to do what you want to do gives you freedom to explore other parts of SA and also take part in excursions.
Overall the experience was amazing and I would strongly recommend doing this if you have a passion for teaching, sports or just making a difference to a child's life!

Annabel
Guildford
Oxford Brookes University

Eye opening experience

This was one of the best summers I have ever had. Straight away I felt like I was in a big family with all the other volunteers. As everyone was into sport we all got along so well. The kids were fantastic, really keen to learn and always enthusiastic. One very memorable story from my experiences there, whilst I was teaching rugby, was that towards the beginning I noticed girls and boys would laugh and make fun of the girls I who I was coaching rugby to. As the weeks went on this died down as all the children saw I was playing rugby. At the end of the 6 weeks we asked the children what they had learnt during our time there. One of the girls said that she had learnt it was ok to be a girl and play rugby. So many truely heart touching moments happened during my stay and this was just one of the ones that really stood out. I could not recommend this volunteering trip highly enough!

Our placements offer genuine work with charities and social enterprises overseas. We want you to get involved with a project that is making a difference to the lives of local people so that you can have a truly remarkable travel experience which gives you an