Sports Coaching in South Africa with Volunteer Vacations

If you have a passion for sport and have played at school, uni or for a club, then you will be perfect for this placement. You can coach your sport full time or combine it with another sport. Teaching and orphanage work also available either full time, part time or as a taster day.

Volunteering takes place in the township schools of Port Elizabeth where the children would not learn sport were it not for this charity. Expect a warm, loud and songful welcome when you arrive!

Volunteers receive a good orientation before starting work and then go into the townships on the charity's minibus to coach at the schools where many of the children are vulnerable. Coaching takes place at three different schools a day, five days a week.

Sharing the volunteer house up to 40 other volunteers means that the evenings and weekends are for having some fun, like nights out for drinks and meals, 5-a-side football on a Wednesday evening and a lot of laughter at the Volunteer House too!

• Share your passion for sport with the vulnerable kids of South Africa!
  • Inclusive price covering local airport transfers, accommodation, food, t-shirts, orientation, transport to work placement, some weekend excursions.
  • Add-on Travel Experience seeing the rest of South Africa at certain times of the year
  • Some excursions included, others available to book once there like bungee jumping, sky diving, shark cage diving, safaris...
  • Combine this placement with Rugby Coaching in Swaziland, Marine Conservation in Mozambique or Wilderness Training/Experiences in South Africa!

Mark

Best experience

I was a bit worried about whether the charity would actually be completely what I wanted to get out of this experience. But in the end there was absolutely no need for me to worry. The time I had in South Africa is easily the best experience I have had so far!
The people I volunteered with and met on this experience will stay friends for life and it was incredible to work with people from all over the world who had similar interests and similar ways of thinking.
The volunteering side of it was incredible and I loved every minute of it (I coached rugby within the schools). Also the social side was brilliant! the fact that you have the weekends free to do what you want to do gives you freedom to explore other parts of SA and also take part in excursions.
Overall the experience was amazing and I would strongly recommend doing this if you have a passion for teaching, sports or just making a difference to a child's life!

Annabel

Eye opening experience

This was one of the best summers I have ever had. Straight away I felt like I was in a big family with all the other volunteers. As everyone was into sport we all got along so well. The kids were fantastic, really keen to learn and always enthusiastic. One very memorable story from my experiences there, whilst I was teaching rugby, was that towards the beginning I noticed girls and boys would laugh and make fun of the girls I who I was coaching rugby to. As the weeks went on this died down as all the children saw I was playing rugby. At the end of the 6 weeks we asked the children what they had learnt during our time there. One of the girls said that she had learnt it was ok to be a girl and play rugby. So many truely heart touching moments happened during my stay and this was just one of the ones that really stood out. I could not recommend this volunteering trip highly enough!

About Volunteer Vacations

Our placements offer genuine work with charities and social enterprises overseas. We want you to get involved with a project that is making a difference to the lives of local people so that you can have a truly remarkable travel experience which...