Volunteer Abroad in Spain

Volunteer Abroad in Spain

Volunteers For Peace is a non-profit organization, founded in 1982, that offers placement in over 3000 voluntary service projects in more than 100 countries. Each year we provide almost 1,000 volunteers with invaluable opportunities to strengthen their ability to communicate in diverse groups, explore grassroots leadership opportunities, and build cultural understanding and connections around the world.

VFP offers service projects that arise from a grassroots, community based need for adults, teens, seniors, families and groups. Volunteers can choose between Short-Term Projects (Also known as Workcamps) where volunteers from 4 or more countries come together for a 2-3 week service project, or Individual Service Adventures & Gap Year Projects (Also known as Medium Term or Permanent Projects) involve working with VFP to create a personalized 2-week to 1-year experience.

Europe » Spain
VFP's placement fee is always $500 ($650 if you are under 18 years old) and must be paid at the time of registration. (If we can’t place you we refund the full fee!) Your registration covers placement, food, accommodation and work materials for your program. Volunteers arrange and pay for their own transportation to and from the project. Projects taking place in the developing world often require an additional fee in the range of $50-$500 payable to our partners upon arrival.

Yasmine
Los Angeles, California / Eugene, OR
University of Oregon

Volunteering With Children

During the summer of 2014, I was fortunate enough to be a part of Volunteers for Peace in Villena, Spain. Traveling to Europe for the first time seemed very unreal to me, especially since I was going alone. The main focus of my project was to go to various small schools and assist Spanish children with learning English, along with educating them about countries other than Spain. I was nervous because I knew very little Spanish. After only a few days, a young girl named Neda was very interested in trying to interact with me. She would speak and point things out, and I would communicate back to her in the best way that I could. When I reflect back, I thought that my purpose for going on this journey was to impact others. But I soon learned that this experience had greatly impacted me. I discovered my passion and curiosity for other cultures, and the importance of appreciating them. I realized that where you come from does not define you. I saw the world and took a step towards becoming a mature adult.

It was great meeting new groups of children every day, but it would have been nice to meet up with the children on multiple occasions. I feel this way we all could have made good connections with the kids so that we can learn from them just as much as they learned from us.

John
Fredericksburg, Va
Allegheny College

Volunteered in 1986 - Outstanding Adventure

My friend and I were the only Americans in the group; a perfect environment for practicing my Spanish. We made friendships that last to this day (2015). We did river cleanup projects. We also has lots of time exploring the magical province of Asturias in N. Spain. We were in a parade through town for a holiday. Explored ancient caves. The local coordinator was the neatest guy, so funny and friendly. Difficulties? Not really, but I live for the challenge of finding my way on my own...that is a huge part of the fun and sense of accomplishment. I am so glad I did this...it was summer after my college freshman year. Do it! Life gives fewer easy opportunities for this type of thing later on...and it might just change your life.
(The earliest date I could select below was 1995, but I did it in 1986, when VFP was young !)

That particular program could have had more conservation work.

Volunteers For Peace (VFP) is a U.S. based non-profit organization that operates within the global networks of the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service (CCIVS), Service Civil International (SCI) and the Alliance of European Voluntary Service to provide meaningful cross-cultural engagement opportunities to thousands of