Volunteer Abroad in Tanzania - United Planet: 1-12 weeks

Volunteer Abroad in Tanzania - United Planet: 1-12 weeks

United Planet's Quest Volunteer Abroad program offers you or your group a life-changing opportunity to interact with local communities through customized work experiences, cultural activities, and home stays. United Planet Quests are offered in more than 25 countries from 1-52 weeks.
Volunteer opportunities in Tanzania include interacting with local service providers in a wide range of services.

Africa » Tanzania
Project Types
* Host family accommodations
* Devoted support from the United Planet team
* Travel insurance
* Pre-departure training
* Airport Transfers
* Orientation, mid-Quest check-in, final evaluation
* Language lessons
* Historical, cultural and recreational excursions
* Global Caring Award upon successful Quest completion
* United Planet t-shirt or sweatshirt hoodie

Emily
Dunedin, New Zealand
University of Otago

Looking for a new best time of your life?

Working at the Children's Cancer ward In Dar Es Salaam was an incredible experience, one I will remember forever. Everything is so different; the culture, the language, the lifestyle, and this makes something everyone should take part in. Step outside your comfort zone and try something new. I went with one friend and we loved it. United Planet gave us support every step of the way, allowing us to explore a completely foreign place without feeling out of our depth. The school itself is so much fun, the kids have an amazing energy and kindness, which is even more impressive considering they are all sick. It makes you so proud to be helping them out, teaching them so they have a chance at education when they get out of hospital, as well as making their lives so much more enjoyable while they are in hospital.
I highly highly recommend this volunteer quest, or any others with United Planet. It will a moment in you life you remember forever as being a time you were proud to be you, and loving every minute of it!!

Of course no program is perfect, but this one came pretty close! I can't think of a way to change it!!

Response from United Planet

Emily, we appreciate you sharing about your experience in Tanzania. We have no doubt the children had an impact on your life, and you on theirs! Keep exploring, learning and serving!

simondra
Washington, DC
Ellis University

Ilula Orphan Program -- Tanzania

I volunteered at Ilula Orphan Program (IOP) in the Iringa Region in Southwest Tanzania for two months during the summer of 2011. I stayed in the orphanage and helped teach English and math at the local schools, organized sporting events for local children, and held day camps at the villages around IOP. I am so fortunate United Planet has a partnership with such an amazing program. I felt very safe traveling and living at IOP -- it is a gated facility with a guard 24/7. On weekends, we would travel to the local town of Iringa where we would eat lunch out, and use the internet to contact our families. IOP is also an incredible program -- I really felt like I made an impact, and I really connected with the girls who lived at the orphanage. It was an absolutely amazing way to experience the unique Tanzanian culture. Although I stayed for 8 weeks, I stayed an extra week; visiting the beautiful beaches of Zanzibar and Sleous Game Reserve for a safari. I highly recommend this incredible program!!!

United Planet is an international non-profit organization based in Boston, MA with a mission to enhance cross-cultural understanding while addressing shared challenges to create a community beyond borders, one relationship at a time. We connect volunteers who want to make a difference with communities in