Cultural Canvas Thailand: Art Relief International

Cultural Canvas Thailand: Art Relief International

Art Relief International is a unique opportunity for volunteers to interact through an artistic lens with local non profits that address a variety of issues in the community. Volunteers grow and learn both about themselves and about the local community while participating in a project that also benefits the community. Learning to communicate without a common language and through cultural differences is another prime skill that volunteers leave this program with.

An ideal volunteer for Art Relief International is a highly motivated worker with an interest in helping people while also not being afraid to “get their hands dirty.” ARI is looking for volunteers with prior arts experience and/or an interest in art as a therapeutic tool. Open minded, flexible, and enthusiastic volunteers are ideal as well.

Our volunteer opportunity is located in Northern Thailand in the city of Chiang Mai where a variety of social, cultural and touristic activities are available.

Asia » Thailand » Chiang Mai
Asia » Thailand
Program costs include all accommodation while on the program, meals, transportation relating to work, insurance, 24-hour support, pre- and post-arrival orientation and materials, Thai language lessons. Flights and visa costs are not included in program fees.

nyctocnx
New York, NY
Syracuse University

Well Beyond Expectations

I recently completed three months of volunteering with ARI. My experience with this program and all the people who I interacted with along the way- staff, community members, and workshop participants- has been truly life-changing. I could not recommend CCT/ARI more to anyone considering volunteering in Thailand or in general. We all came here for different reasons and we all found new ones that continued to fuel us along the way. The diversity in volunteer backgrounds and aspirations is what makes this organization what it is and what has made my experience as complete and enriching as it was.
Without doubt I will miss attending workshops everyday but this experience will always be a part of me and I know that CCT/ARI will only continue to move forward as they acquire new volunteers and connections within the community. If you are thinking about this program, stop thinking and go for it! If you do need to talk to someone more extensively about it, both Emma and Wad (Assistant Director and Executive Director respectively) are amazingly helpful and responsive to e-mail, so ask questions if you have them!

Deirdre
Dublin, Ireland
Trinity College- Dublin

Go for it!!

I am a 19 year old female from Ireland and I completed eight weeks with CCT/ARI. My experience was amazing! I could not pick a fault with the organisation and or my experience there. The staff were amazing as were the other volunteers in the volunteer home. I say home because that is what it was. It was not just a house. I made many friends whom I will stay in contact with forever I'm sure.
The volunteering was great and made a huge impact on the way I think and live my life now. I urge all to do this. You will not regret it!!!

I disagree that no program is perfect. My program was prefect and I would have not changed a thing!

Dominique
Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
Vancouver Island University

ARI Internship

Last summer I volunteered as an intern with Art Relief International (ARI). During my 3 months in Chiang Mai I felt extremely welcomed by both the CCT/ARI staff, as well as the community partners we worked with. I became friends with a group of amazing individuals volunteering from a variety of countries, and felt extremely touched and impacted by all the people I met and experiences we shared along the way. Thanks to the program structure, community partners, dedicated and supportive staff, and motivated volunteers, my time with ARI was life-changing, creative, energetic, rewarding, inspiring, and unforgettable!

Response from Cultural Canvas Thailand

What a positive review! Thanks for being such a great and positive intern while with Art Relief International. You are sorely missed these days. Spread the word about our programs and hope to see you again someday! Good luck in the future.

Tahli
Melbourne, Australia
Swinburne University of Technology

My time with CCT

My time with CCT was wonderful. The community groups that CCT enabled us to work with were incredibly fun, engaging and taught me a lot about patience and kindness. These groups we worked with not only gave me perspective on my own life, but they also helped me to understand the value of giving something to someone else without asking anything in return. Although it was not my intent to be returned anything, what I did get back were experiences I will keep for a lifetime - experiences which I did not truly understand the effect of until long after I was back inside the realities of my own world in Australia. The other volunteers on the program became life friends, as we shared something so utterly unique and creative together. Designing the workshops was probably my favourite thing about the CCT experience...although everything was pretty great on a whole (minus the mosquito's!!).

Response from Cultural Canvas Thailand

Thanks for the review. We enjoyed having you as a volunteer as well and hope that you learned a great deal while here. We would gladly have you join our program again in the future and appreciate your taking the time to review Cultural Canvas Thailand.

Founded in 2009 by Cultural Canvas Thailand, Art Relief International works to transform the lives of struggling social groups in Chiang Mai, by offering these communities the opportunity to express themselves through the arts. We believe in providing a voice for individuals by exploring various