Volunteer in Uganda Bulenga Teaching, Health Care, Orphanage and Solar Programs

Volunteers needed for nursery and primary school levels (ages 4yrs-13yrs) to teach English and other subjects. Teaching experience is not required. You can begin working with some children, teaching English and basic math.

These are rural schools for the children of the community. The objective of this program is to contribute to the academic development of the school in order to provide the best opportunity for the orphans to receive a quality education.
----
Volunteers are needed for the on-going construction and water building projects in the community. Volunteers needed for manual labor jobs working alongside skilled and unskilled local workers.

All our programs:
Community Development
Medical / Community Health
Children’s Education
Maternity / Mid-Wifery
Orphanage / Child Care
Conservation / Solar

----

Volunteers with medical experience are needed to work in a community health clinic outside of Kampala. Most clinics are very busy, understaffed; with limited medical supplies and equipment. There is a wide variety of cases but disease such as malaria, HIV/Aids, tuberculosis and syphilis, as well as childbirth/maternity needs are most common.

Medical volunteers; doctors, nurses, EMT, physical therapist participate in direct patient care such as diagnosing, injections, IV starts and lab work. Nursing and medical students are welcome and assist with tasks like dressing wounds, record and immunization chart keeping, helping dispense medications, helping to screen and organize patients and assisting with administrative needs or seminars.

*Medical volunteers must submit a copy of their credentials or nursing certificate.

----

Volunteers work with a local organization that is providing HIV/AIDS prevention education and support to rural communities in the Wakiso district. This project focuses on providing culturally sensitive methods of awareness and education with the goal of preventing transmission of the disease and seeks to offer assistance and encouragement to those infected with the virus.

Some of the activities for volunteers include: Promoting safer sex through education, assisting with home-based care for victims with HIV/Aids, providing free blood testing for the disease, woman empowerment projects for surviving widows of the community, and most especially rural outreach programs to those in need with food distribution, assistance with activities of daily living and providing words of encouragement.

Experience in this field is not required. Volunteers with a strong interest in making a difference are welcome.

• ABV’s Uganda program is available year-round, you can start any day of the week
  • Highly affordable program fees US NonProfit Organization - Program rates are tax deductible and you can fundraise
  • You’ll be joining volunteers from all over the World Safe, friendly placements and accommodations
  • You’ll be traveling with ABV, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of thousands volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Impact

501 (c)3 nonprofit USA based organization – you can tax deduct the program fees.
Available year-round. You choose your own program start and end dates.
245 perfectly balanced projects - experience, price, service.
100% cultural immersion including local home-stay and guesthouse accommodations.
Program fees include airport transportation, orientation, housing/meals, 24/7 in-country support.
Suitable options for solo travelers, gap year, honeymooners, families, mature travelers & groups.
Excellent safety record and Platinum rated non-profit organization per Guidestar ABV alumni reviews.

Erin

Orphanage in Bulenga Uganda

Five weeks volunteering was not long enough time in Bulenga, Uganda. I had a life changing experience -meeting so many wonderful people both at the orphanage and the house – even strangers on the street. I learned most from the kids and they gave me more than I could teach to them. I will always be thankful for this experience and thank A Broader View for this opportunity. I more than highly recommend volunteers considering volunteering in Africa to come to Bulenga Uganda. You will not regret it!

Erin

Best Trip of My Life (Bulenga, Uganda)

Over my five week stay in Bulenga, Uganda, I volunteered at two orphanages where I spent time with and taught English to kids-most of whom have lost their parents to HIV/AIDS. I also did some community projects, one of which included distributing portable, solar energy lights to villagers in a very rural and poor area of Uganda. It was a tremendous privilege to be a part of something that gave much happiness to a community that severely lacks clean energy, let alone just running water and electricity.

In addition to all of the children, I met and made friends with some wonderful people: the gentlemen who run the organization I worked for, the girls who cared for me at the volunteer house, the orphanage's teachers, and even locals in the village. I didn't expect to connect with and learn so much from people who differ from me in many ways. They have all endured many hardships in their lives, yet none of them seem to show anything short of happiness- I've never seen so many smiles or felt so much love. I've learned from them and their stories about how fortunate I am in my own life. The entire experience was truly humbling, and it gave me the opportunity to look at myself and reflect on my life. The trip also helped spark my interest in international service, particularly in human development, and I look forward to using my new interest towards my studies and career. And even if this doesn't work out, I will still take the lessons and memories I made with me wherever I go.

The accommodations were all fantastic- I do not have a single complaint. The food was fresh and well-balanced (meat, veggies, fruit, and starches). Sleeping arrangement (bunk beds) was comfortable and all set up with a mosquito net, pillow, and sheets. There is running water (hot water for bathing) and electricity. No wifi but internet is sometimes available on the house's computer. I felt very safe at the house which sits inside a compound that is all locked up and guarded by security at night.

I returned home with countless good memories, so to choose a favorite is difficult. Here is one: It was a dark and rainy Saturday, and I had plans to go spend time with the kids that afternoon. I put on my raincoat and began the 30 minute walk to the orphanage. On the way, many shops were closed and what usually are busy roads were all quiet and empty. For most of the way, it was a slip and slide on the muddy roads, and I would catch myself from a fall only to look up and not find anyone who witnessed my clumsy stumbling. It was so deserted in the village that I began to think that the kids would not be around that day. I continued anyway and finally reached the bottom of the last hill which leads to the kids' home. I was then surprised to hear the high-pitched screams of seven kids who were all drenched in rain and came running down the hill at lightning speed, having no regard for the slick, uneven, and steep path. Three of them fell down but got up, smiles and all, and ran down to join the other four who all jumped into my arms to say hello. We were all soaked in rain and mud but were as happy as we would be on a dry, sunny day. I was overwhelmed by their love but more so by the fact that they had waited outside in the rain for me--someone they had only met three weeks before. As simple and "uneventful" it is, this story represents what it was like for my entire experience.

There is nothing I would change about the program. A Broader View and its partner organization were very supportive, informative, and organized. All of my questions were answered prior to and throughout my trip, and I had no issues with the setup of the orphanage/teaching program. There was both structure and flexibility with the program so that I could create my own schedule of work as well as receive guidance from the organization.
Jenny

We are so fortunate

My favorite memory of this trip was being able to connect with the people I met in Uganda. It was very humbling to hear their stories and a pleasure to be in their presence. The most difficult thing I experienced is not knowing how I can effectively teach the children with limited resources. You don't need a lot of clothes. Regular T-shirts, pants, long skirts, and comfortable shoes are highly recommended. Avoid bringing anything white. Bring extra money to help students pay for uniforms, food, etc. The ABV staff responded to my questions/concerns right away. I was very well pleased with the support they provided me prior and after leaving the project. The local ABV Director was very informative. She checked up with me daily while in the foreign country to make sure I was doing well. There is nothing like volunteering overseas. It has allowed me to broaden my understanding towards different cultures and has given me a new perspective on life. It made me realize how fortunate I am to even have clean water and food on the table, everyday.

Gabrielle

Volunteer Work in Volta Region, Ghana

I loved every single moment of my trip from meeting my host family and the children to being able to witness a funeral, learn the language and about the culture. I felt truly at home in Kpando and I hope to have a chance to go back in the future to visit. If I had a question I usually asked locals I became friends with. When packing skirts and dresses are advisable as well as items that cover your thighs and bra straps. Also items that dry quickly are easier to wash. Pretty much every moment of my trip was my favorite but overall being a part of the community and the best host family I could have asked for as well as participating in the lives of 31 of the most special children I have ever met.

MiJueng

Nursery & Primary School Teaching

Teaching at the Primary School, I would use phrases and words my students didn’t know and after I would explain it to them, they would always say them everyday after that. They would also sing and dance for me, which I thoroughly enjoyed. They were so fun to teach and be around! The teachers at the nursery school hardly had any actual teaching materials, and they were all so grateful for the donations I gave them. I only wish I could have brought more. I was also surprised by how everyone is so friendly and happy to see you. Everyday, my students would be smiling and are happy that I’m just there. I would bring school supplies, teaching materials, or exercises if you plan to teach young ones. The teachers at Nursery School were pretty open with what you could do so if you want to teach younger children, I would bring activities for them to do. I would also bring as many donations as you can. Pack light for yourself and bring donations. My only regret is that I wish I brought more to give away. I’m really glad I went to Uganda. I’m also happy with where ABV placed me. It was fun to teach the younger aged kids (5-6 year olds) as well as the older ones in P5. The kids I taught were all extremely good students and hard workers that I feel they deserve much more than they have to get a good education. I was also not certain if going into education was what I wanted to do with my life. But being able to teach students firsthand has solidified my decision to want to go into education and work with children. I had such an amazing time working with all the kids and teachers that I really want to go back.

Adam

Teaching at a School Orphanage Uganda

The kids. They’re so great and so excited to have a guest teacher. Getting to know them over time and watching them learn was a great experience.
Understanding what to worry about safety-wise. The quick answer is don’t worry in Bulenga unless its been dark for a while and all the people have gone home. Of course there is no need to take unnecessary risks either, such as walking alone anytime at night or carrying lots of money or expensive things with you at night. Kampala and taxis are a little different and of course have pickpockets, but it’s easy to avoid all that by just walking with your hands in your pockets when you’re in Kampala, especially whenever it gets crowded. Kampala is a great experience that should be done via taxi at least once (but probably more), just don’t take more than you need, try to be aware of pickpockets, and enjoy the sights, sounds, stares, and congestion.
Everything will get dusty, but it all washes out. I was more comfortable at the school and around the village in travel pants and shoes rather than shorts and flip flops, but it seems you can wear whatever you’re comfortable wearing. Bring ear plugs. There’s a school next to the volunteer house and the kids sometimes play loudly early in the morning, but I found ear plugs made sleeping through it super easy. If you want fruit and vegetables they’re easy to get, I ate a lot of them and had no problems at all. Weekend excursions or short safaris are also easy to arrange through tour companies if you’re interested in that.

Sarah

Surrounded by Love and Hope 24/7

This program is perfect for motivated optimists of all ages with open hearts and open minds. I was able to teach several subjects to adorable and well behaved children aged 7-12 the Orphanage. The children were bright and engaged despite the somewhat desperate seeming surroundings, and the adults were professional and generous with their time and resources. I felt safe, appreciated, and challenged during my unforgettable week with A BroaderView.

The lodging was a little rustic, but the host organization is building an awesome new solar community/volunteer center.

About A Broader View Volunteers Corp

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all...