Hopeland Volunteer Program

Hopeland Volunteer Program

By Hopeland Volunteers   Reviews (3)   100% Rating

Our volunteer program is centered around providing hope to the women and children we serve in Uganda. We partner with YOFAFO (Youth Focus Africa Foundation), a non profit organization that operates three schools and a micro-finance program in Southern Uganda. When you travel to Uganda with Hopeland Volunteers, you can serve the people there using your unique talents. YOFAFO places volunteers as teachers, social workers, builders, social media interns, health workers, business interns, and basically any other title you can think of! Whatever gifts and talents you have to offer, YOFAFO needs them! You will work with Hopeland Volunteers staff to decide what area you would like to focus on, and we will coordinate with YOFAFO to place you in the perfect role within their organization. Maybe you will spend all day surrounded by students, or out at the various projects taking photos. Possibilities for volunteers are endless. Contact us today and we can to turn your passion into hope in Uganda

Africa » Uganda
Guesthouse
$500.00/week
Cost Description
Program fee includes your living quarters, food, transportation to your project, and whichever recreational package you choose. Program fee does not include airfare.

Rating Values

Justin
Charlotte, NC
Appalachian State University

Honeymoon Service Trip

My wife and I traveled to Uganda for our honeymoon. We had an incredibly memorable experience spending time with the students we sponsor who attend Hopeland High School. Our stay at the volunteer headquarters with Valence and his family was wonderful – I still dream about the homecooked meals we enjoyed each night! This trip was such a great way to bond with my wife and give back to a non-profit that is doing amazing things for their community.

Tiffany
Boone, NC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Life changing opportunity to make a real difference

I have traveled and volunteered with this school for seven years as the coordinator of a university study abroad program. During that time, I also was able to take my pre-teen children along. The hosts are flexible in designing opportunities that help you meet your specific service goals, challenge you to grow, and provide a chance for you to truly immerse yourself in the local culture. It quickly elevates from a service project to a shared experience, working alongside friends who have invited you into their homes and their lives.

The environment is safe as long as you follow common-sense traveler guidelines like don't flash cash around and don't walk alone at night. Your hosts are living out their life's passion to create a brighter future for the children they serve and that passion shines through in how they make you feel like an integral part of the pursuit of that dream.

The country itself is absolutely beautiful. Be sure to take advantage of opportunities to go on safari, raft the Nile, and eat new foods. The host is able to help you arrange any of those excursions and experiences which makes it one-stop-shopping for the experience of a lifetime.

They are always seeking ways to better support and serve the volunteers. A written guide to the town where you will live may help volunteers navigate it a little more independently.

Amanda
Charlotte, NC
Appalachian State University

Hopeland Teaching Experience

I traveled to Uganda to teach at Hopeland Primary School in 2013. I stayed in the volunteer quarters in Lugazi, with Valence and his family staying at their home right beside us. I traveled alone, but met two other volunteers and we quickly bonded and spent weekends traveling together and some evenings walking to the market to eat local snacks like rolexes. Valence coordinated my time at Hopeland Primary School, and we decided that I would work there Monday- Thursday and have Friday as a day for testing or traveling. I taught students in primary 5-7 (equivalent to 6th-8th grade in the US). My experience with the students was one of the most memorable of my life. I brought my laptop, and for most students it was their first time touching a computer. We studied, learned new material, talked, made music videos, sang under the trees outside the school, played soccer in the cow pasture; it was like a wonderful dream. At risk of sounding cliche, I left Uganda as a very different person - more full of life and appreciative of every experience I am offered. I was able to bring so much to my classroom in America and I feel like a different, and better teacher. I returned to stay with Valence with my husband after we were married, and after three years the students called my name when I came back to their classrooms - it was so emotional and I carry their faces in my memory always!

I think it would be great if a safari or other recreational activity was included or linked to the program, and I hear they are working on that!

We are a volunteer organization based in Uganda, focused on providing hope to women and children. We welcome volunteers of all ages and walks of life to use their unique talents to bring hope to those who need it! We partner with a nonprofit organization