Creative and Interactive Teachers wanted in Uganda

Ugandan school kids studying in class
Ugandan school kids studying in class
Volunteer with Ugandan school student
Volunteer with Ugandan school student

The Real Uganda partners with humble, rural primary schools in Uganda. These schools are poorly-resourced, with students largely subjected to rote learning.

We're changing that.

The international volunteers working in our schools create interactive learning experiences and provide children with a loving and creative environment in which to flourish.

Volunteers choose the age and topics to teach. Lesson plans are created based on student interest and volunteer research. Arts and crafts, sport, team building, academics, and public health are most popular with the kids.

The aim is to encourage team work, fun, creativity, literacy, and general knowledge. You'll give our amazing local teachers a break during their long work day too!

This is a challenging and rewarding program for volunteers experienced in organizing children, such as camp counselors, day care workers, and people who generally love kids.

Bring your games, songs, and enthusiasm to the village!

• You'll be intimately involved in early childhood development in Ugandan classrooms
  • You'll bring encouragement, creativity and love to students aged 3 to 15
  • You'll learn first-hand about the challenges of Uganda’s rural education system
  • You'll spend your time with amazing kids, totally immersed in Ugandan culture
  • You'll spend weekends with other volunteers exploring Uganda: zip-lining in a rain forest, white water rafting the Nile, wildlife safari, and primate tracking

Impact

Our teachers are burdened with large classroom sizes and long work days. They're also limited by their own (often inadequate) education. International volunteers bring new ideas and emotional support to Ugandan teachers. They bring encouragement, creativity, and love to the kids. Everyone wins!

Ellie

Amazing project with strong, female leadership!

I can’t speak highly enough about Liz at Grace Orphanage School, and The Real Uganda director Leslie! Liz has an unmatched understanding of her community and its needs, and is so creative in her solutions to problems. Leslie/TRU engages thoughtfully and intentionally with Grace and the whole Nakifuma community, and you can tell how strong their partnership is. I can guarantee that working with Leslie, you’ll be supported and encouraged to think critically and challenge your beliefs about global development, community engagement, and your role. I have found lifelong friends-turned-family via TRU and encourage you to check them out if you’re looking for a sustainable, responsible way to contribute to an ongoing project in Uganda!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I came to love Rolex — a veggie omelette rolled up in a fried chapati!
Matthew

My time in Rural Uganda

My time teaching English and volunteering with rural village groups was the by far the most eye opening experience I have ever had. It was my first time out of my home country and the experience inspired me to go home and be a better person in our world. A highlight of the trip was getting to know the small community. The teachers at the school and nearby business owners are amazing people with inspiring work ethic. The children at the school are so excited to see you every day. You can tel that just you being there is exciting and something they look forward too.

I think that it would be cool to have a book that you keep and put pictures of all volunteers in. With Polaroid photos of all volunteers and a small description of them. For memories and referencing.
Katarzyna

I simply loved it!

It was a great time I spent in Uganda, Kabembe Parents School in Mukono district. The coordinator of the program, the director of the school, teachers and students - everyone was very welcoming and made me feel like home. The work was great, also thanks to all the teaching materials I had brought with me. So I would recommend bringing teaching tools and materials with you which can be very helpful and make your work more interesting. The students were amazing, full of joy and very eager to learn. It was such a pleasure to teach them. I have also learned something from them and have brought new friendships. I will always have warm thoughts about the place, the school, and all the people I met there. It was indeed an experience of a lifetime in many aspects. The living conditions were ok, the help and support of the coordinator of the program was very good (regarding work at school and weekend trips). It was a piece of real Uganda :) that I have experienced.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I think I would bring more teaching materials to make my lessons more interesting and fun. I would also bring more variety of materials to support the school and local teachers.
Michalla

Incredible experience

Through this experience I lived and breathed the ‘real Uganda’ for 3 months.

I was teaching in the school during the week and going on adventures around Uganda in the weekend. Leslie from The Real Uganda was great at making me feel safe and supported.

Visiting uganda with The Real Uganda was the best decision I have ever made. I'll be honest it wasn't smooth sailing the whole time (culture shock is a thing), but the experience, the people and the culture made it unforgettable. The organisation was exceptional, and they chose a fantastic school to place me at, which I will always consider my 'Ugandan Home.' I made lifelong friends and learned so much more about myself. I can't wait to go back!

So to those considering an international volunteer teaching placement- look no further.

Elise

Uganda- The Happiest Place on Earth

From the minute I contacted Leslie at The Real Uganda, I knew it was the perfect match for me! The communication was superb and every query was answered promptly. I was fortunate enough to spend just under 4 months teaching at Grace Orphanage School in rural Uganda. I felt welcomed and a part of the community within just a few days. As a trained teacher I felt that my years of experience did come in handy, however if you are not a trained teacher there are always other ways to help in the classroom and community. It was great to always have Leslie to touch base with and she always ensured we were safe within our community and throughout weekend travel around Uganda. I could not recommend this experience enough.... it was life changing and was honestly the happiest time of my life.

Gabriela

My stay in uganda

What a wonderful experience. Leslie was very helpful. School director Liz was sweet and welcoming. I spent a month living in village teaching small children. Loved every minute of it. I hope to be back one day ... spent most omg in classroom, afternoon playing with kids in orphanage, evenings visiting village. Learned so much about people in Uganda. Was able to visit capital city and take your down to south border for gorilla watching and safari. Wish I had more time and could stay longer. Be ready to rough it out some. Running water and electricity is not a guarantee in villages. I will forever be thankful for this wonderful experience. Everything was very well organized. I didn’t have any difficulty during my stay , and felt safe at all times.

Be open minded. Don’t try to change the culture, just soak it in.
Roseann

Best experience EVER!

How to put into words... I spent 3 months in Uganda with The Real Uganda and it was truly the most amazing experience on so many levels. This was my first time going overseas to volunteer and honestly it could not have been smoother. The Real Uganda takes care of every small detail you wouldn't even know you needed. Like showing where to get SIM cards for your phone, how to withdraw cash from a local bank and goes over all the local customs of what to do and not do in country. Then they bring you to your placement of choice but are always just a phone call away if you need anything. I went to a village school and lived at the head masters house, a short walk from the school. My main intention was art education and practice, as this is considered more of a 'luxury' and not typically offered. I brought with me an extra suitcase packed with art materials and had the most amazing time creating projects with the kids! We even painted a large mural inside one of the dorm rooms. Everyone at the school and in the neighborhood could not have been more welcoming. Yes it can be challenging at times not having all the comforts of home... but that is exactly why I went! I still think about this trip often even a few years later. I'll make it back there one day. And I can't recommend The Real Uganda highly enough! They will take good care of you. If you are considering a trip, Just Do It! You won't regret it.

Tamas

Village teaching program

It was absolutely unexpected experience. Learning to live without tap water, with low quality internet, periodic electricity is much easier than you think. The school and both kids and children are awesome, the hosting family gives the most loveable and warm circumstances. Whether you are religious or not, Sunday church is also a place what you really have to see. The safety of the village is perfect, I have never felt unsafe during my stay but you really have to be careful as well and do not forget that you are in Africa. But if you keep the rules (which are perfectly given you by Leslie from The Real Uganda) you will be okay. However, be careful with the food that you buy in the village. All in all do not hesitate to take this opportunity.

Candace

The Real Uganda, The Real Deal!

The Real Uganda not only provide community outreach but the people involved become an extended family. Having never volunteered abroad and travelling alone, I had expected a degree of uncertainty but everything seemed to fall in place. Leslie and her team make the transition and the entire trip run as smoothly as possible. She sends the most detailed emails, her instructions on what to do prior, what to bring, what to do upon arrival are amazing. She is the "Siri" of Uganda. Not only does she want you be apart of a volunteer exchange but she wants you to be apart of the community and see all there is to see in Uganda. She encourages and helps to arrange tours and makes sure you are comfortable in your settings at all time.
I had the opportunity to spend much of my time at Kabembe Parents School...the staff and students are absolutely beautiful. The Ugandan culture loves to welcome people. Even with what supplies they have they make it work and look for ways to develop in their community. The teachers do what they can to brighten the classrooms and encourage volunteers to dive right in! They love to sing and dance and love learning new songs! The children love the attention of volunteers. Prepare yourself to smile everyday and fall in love with the Ugandan children and the Ugandan culture. You will be planning your next trip before you even arrive home :)

Abby

Kabembe Parents' School

Volunteering at Kabembe Parents' School was an incredibly eye-opening experience. Having been a teacher in the U.S. for six years, I was very interested in observing the schooling in Uganda. I was able to dedicate 10 weeks to volunteering, and during this time I created positive relationships with the children and the school staff. I taught my own lessons, assisted the local teachers, and set up pen-pals between Kabembe Parents' and my school in the U.S. The students are genuinely happy to have visitors in their school, as it helps them take pride in their school, their learning, and their community. There were many instances, such as the school not having the needed chalk/pens/erasers, that really humbled my opinion on the schooling system. The teachers and staff are very innovative and creative when it comes to creating a positive learning environment for the children.

Throughout the duration of my volunteering, I was able to explore nearly every corner of Uganda. Leslie was very helpful in assisting me with organizing weekend getaways, from wildlife safaris, to rafting down the Nile, to exploring the beautiful waterfalls in Sipi Falls.

Being immersed into a culture vastly different from my own is something I will never forget, and has inspired me to pursue a career in international teaching. Thank you to The Real Uganda for providing me with a life-changing experience!

Rachel

Life changing

This program was amazing. My experience was fantastic and I wasn’t just part of a school I was part of the family. I loved every single person inside that school and I cannot wait to return. This experienced changed my life and further inspired my passion to educate children. I was fully immersed in the lifestyle within Uganda. The daily life was so different to anything I’ve experienced and I totally allowed myself to dive in head first and I loved every second of it !!!

I have zero complaints or thoughts for improvement for my particular experience