With virtually every type of internship and work environment available in North America. From working with environmental conservationists in Mexico to getting behind the scenes at a startup in San Francisco, you're guaranteed to land the position of your dreams. Not to mention the variety in culture, climate and environment just waiting for you to get out and experience it!
Being such a diverse continent means there are internship opportunities in virtually every field within North America. In addition, no matter if you choose to head to Canada and the great white north or the sunny beaches of Costa Rica, you'll also be able to experience a unique culture and some major worldly attractions along with gaining invaluable internship experience.
Business & Finance
As major international business hubs, Toronto and New York are great places to look for business and finance internships. Many large companies offer highly involved programs that will provide great experience and look amazing on a resume.
Marketing internships can be found in any major city throughout Canada, and the U.S., as well as in Mexico City. However, internships in Mexico will require a certain level of Spanish.
From crystalline beaches to tropical rainforests, countries across Central America have been able to successfully develop their eco-tourism industries, making them great locations for this type of internship.
The Caribbean is highly exposed to natural disasters such as hurricanes and earthquakes and home to some of the poorest countries in the world. With this, there are many community development internships that take place in this region.
In a lot of ways, business travelers and eco-tourists are the exact opposite. However, they both mean that internships in the hospitality industry are abound all across North America.
Planning Your Trip
Before hopping on a plane, there are a couple things to consider about your internship like when to go, cost of living, and the type of work culture you'll be immersed in. Since North America is widely varied in all these respects, you'll be able to find an internship that suits you somewhere in North America, no matter what you're looking for.
When and Where to Look for an Internship
- Best Time to Intern: Many Canadian and American programs take place over the summer to accommodate school schedules. However, across the Caribbean and Central America, internships take place year round, but may require you to apply 6 - 12 months in advance. Many organizations also require a commitment of at least 3 - 4 months.
- Where to Intern: This largely depends on the type of internship you're looking for and your budget.
- Paid or Unpaid: Some internships in Canada and the USA are paid or offer stipends, but many in the Caribbean and Central America do not.
Cost of Living
- Toronto: Rent for a single apartment is about $1,200; monthly groceries are about $120; beer at a bar is about $5.50
- New York: Rent for a single apartment is about $2,000; monthly groceries are about $160; beer at a bar is about $6.00
- Los Angeles: Rent for a single apartment is about $1,200; monthly groceries are about $95; beer at a bar is about $5.00
- San Juan: Rent for a single apartment is about $780; monthly groceries are about $90; beer at a bar is about $1.50
- San Jose: Rent for a single apartment is about $500; monthly groceries are about $50; beer at a bar is about $2.50
- Expatistan is a great site that lets you compare your current cost of living to the one in your potential internship destination
- Language: English is the main language throughout Canada and the USA, however, French is the official language of Quebec and internships there will require a proficient working knowledge of the language. Across the Caribbean and Central America, a basic knowledge of Spanish will come in handy, but is not required. Some internships may even include Spanish lessons.
- Networking: regardless of your position, it's a good idea to keep in contact with your employers after completing your internship and to ask for a letter of reference you can provide when applying for future jobs. In addition, popular associations include The International Ecotourism Society, The International Association of Business Communicators and the Los Angeles Film Critics Association.
Contributed by Judi Zienchuk
Showing 16 Programs
Dream CareersReviewer VerifiedDream Careers offers an all-inclusive internship programs in New York City, complete with a custom internship placement at a...9 reviews
Global ExperiencesReviewer VerifiedDelve into a once-in-a-lifetime adventure with a customized internship in New York City with Global Experiences. Follow in...7 reviews
Cultural VistasSharpen your skills and expand your world view with IAESTE United States! The IAESTE United States internship placement...6 reviews
Dream CareersReviewer VerifiedDream Careers offers an all-inclusive internship programs in Chicago, complete with a custom internship placement at a top...6 reviews
Timberline Canadian Alpine AcademyThe Instructor Internship Program is designed for someone looking to have a fun,team-based experience during their first ski...6 reviews
Global Vision InternationalReviewer VerifiedMarine Conservation: In the stunning Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico interns will get to enter the marine conservation industry...3 reviews
Global ExperiencesReviewer VerifiedThere is no better way to become a regular in the United States capital and to jump start your career than a professional...5 reviews
Dream CareersReviewer VerifiedDream Careers offers an all-inclusive internship programs in San Francisco, complete with a custom internship placement at a...2 reviews
Alliance Abroad GroupReviewer VerifiedAlliance Abroad Group provides great internships options in the United States; we have been offering professional experience...1 reviews