International Internships in New York with The Intern Group

International Internships in New York with The Intern Group

The Intern Group's Global Leadership Grants 2018
The Intern Group is pleased to announce that they are offering 4 Global Leadership Grants of up to $2,500 each to 4 outstanding students/recent graduates. The grants are for The Intern Group's programs in Dublin, Australia, Shanghai and Latin America for Summer/Fall 2018. The deadline is February 2nd, 2018.

*Please note: as we offer international programs, our USA internships are not available to US Citizens. We encourage you to look at our other destinations (Europe, Canada, Asia, Australia or Latin America).*

We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in one of the cultural and financial capitals of the world, New York City. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship in New York will make you stand out from your peers.

Partnering with a range of companies, organizations and NGOs, our program will boost your professional development. We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out. Not sure what you want to study yet? Take a gap year to test-drive your career. Professional in transition? Gain experience in your new field.

North America » United States of America » New York
Weekly Hours
- A professional internship placement
- High quality accommodation
- Airport pickup
- Metro card for the duration of your stay
- Pre-trip welcome package and welcome induction
- Professional development workshop and tools
- Visa assistance
- 24/7 support from our full-time local team
- A full calendar of social and cultural events including:
- Top Of The Rock - Enjoy the best views that New York City has to offer from the Top Of The Rock observation deck.
- Day trip to the MOMA - Experience modern art like never before at one of the world’s most famous modern art museums.
- Food On Foot Tour - Get to know the melting pot of the world’s diverse culture through its cuisine.
- Twilight Sightseeing Cruise - Cruise on the Hudson River past New York’s iconic landmarks and watch the skyline transform as day turns to night.

M
Cagliari

Amazing experience

Great esperience overall, very good programme and very well organised. A lot of extra activities planned as well .
The internship was very good, I learned a lot and definitely useful for my future career. It gave me to opportunity to experience what it is like to work in a business and to be part of a real team.

During my time in NYC I also felt very safe as there was always talk to someone to talk to if I needed anything of if I had any concerns at all. The experience cordinator was very helpful in answering any questions we might have and showing us around the city!!
Some of the organised activities were really cool and so much fun.

I would definitely raccomand it, as it's a good way to gain some very helpful work experience and have some fun exploring a new city!

Rosie
Perth, Western Australia
Murdoch University

Rosie's take on NYC

My internship in New York City has been the experience of a lifetime. It has been the most rewarding and exciting 2 months, and I am so upset to be leaving! I couldn't have done an internship abroad without the help and support of The Intern Group; it was so handy not having to worry about finding accommodation or my own placement at a company. The housing location was amazing, situated in the Upper East Side so close to Central Park. While I had some issues with the accommodation itself (it's a bit outdated, I had to pack up and move rooms halfway through, and the shared bathrooms leave something to be desired!) it was an excellent location and very safe. Having other interns from the same program in the same building was great for socialising and making friends, and there is definitely a sense of community among the interns. Our experience coordinator, Brian, makes sure everyone gets to know each other, and we often organise social events in the evenings and on weekends, as well as the tours organised by Brian as part of the program.
My internship itself has been an incredible experience. I was given responsibilities and the lead on important tasks, and felt I made an impact at my company. It was satisfying and rewarding to be working in a company where I was appreciated and constantly learning. The team I work with are amazing, so I am very grateful to The Intern Group for introducing me to the people that I now call friends, and can use as professional contacts moving forward in my career.
Overall, my experience in New York City has been amazing. Unfortunately, due to visa issues, I was unable to intern for my full 8 weeks, completing 7 instead. If I could do it over I would stay even longer. But I have been assured the visa issues many of us faced in getting into the US have now been solved.
I recommend interning in this city to everyone I speak to, and The Intern Group dealt with all the nitty gritty bits of planning a long stay abroad that I didn't trust myself to do well!

As I said, most of my issues with the program stemmed with visa sponsorship issues and the company The Intern Group used - which are now being solved. The accommodation isn't flashy but it does the job, however it could be better organised as many of us had to move rooms mid-stay. While my internship was great, it would be good to have the chance to interview with a few different companies before you decide which one is right for you.

Charlotte
Ballymoney
Queen's University Belfast

The Intern Group

I adored my internship in New York. My 6 weeks there felt like a film. I interned with a judge in Manhattan family court, which was an opportunity I couldn't have found without the help of the Intern Group. Generally during the day I responded to emails, worked with the Judge's court attorney and observed cases in the court room with the Judge. These cases covered a variety of issues, from special victim unit cases to juvenile delinquency. I found this fascinating, and it has really benefited my understanding of family law and how the American legal system works. I also got to travel around the city to various courthouses, including Queen's and the Bronx. I wouldn't have been able to find or complete this internship without the help of The Intern Group and for that I am very helpful.

If completed overseas internships before with similar companies and definitely felt that the Intern Group was very well organised, safe and efficient. In New York they had a fantastic experience coordinator called Brian who instantly brought everyone together and made you feel like you part of the family. I also liked that he arranged weekend activities and things to do, which really helped getting to know the other interns and made my New York experience very enjoyable.

Overall I loved my time in New York and am happy that I used the Intern Group this summer. If you're thinking of applying to them my advice would be to go for it! :)

Get a new visa company!

Effy
Hong Kong
Missouri State University

Intern New York is the best

My experience in 6 weeks program with intern new york was amazing. Our housing was at 92Y located on upper east side Manhattan which was very convenient for me. I love how all the interns live next door so we get to chat or cook together all the time and that made us eventually become so much closer with each other.
I also think the events on every weekend hold by our experience coordinator Brian was great as well. Because all the interns are new to the city and we are all in a certain limited time to live here. There are events going on every weekend defiantly made me know the city better especially the time when I just arrived, I had no idea where to go or what to do. We did museum tour, food tour, boat tour, 9/11 area, and eventually all the events we did made me knew the city better. It was fun as well to go with a group.
Also attending all the professional training events were beneficial to me as well. It is nice to have professionals hold events for us as young professionals and give advice about resume or interviews for our future career.

I wish I could have more chance to do some different interviews with multiple companies before arriving to New York.

Yande
Perth Australia
Curtin University- Perth

review

I feel that the international intern experience has been an unforgettable one. I have made new friends, experienced new cultures- living in a city i have never been to away from any close relatives. This experience has challenged me personally and helped me to grow. The opportunity the Intern Group offers is fantastic and i would definitely recommend others to use this company. The free travel cards are convenient, the other interns are welcoming (you will definitely make unforgettable friendships) and the work experience in a city like New York will definitely boost your career.

I feel that i have already discussed with intern new york

Lori
London

Intern Group NY Review

Before I get into my review I would just like to make a special thank you to Brian Limbo, the experience co ordinator. Amazing, talented, intelligent man who takes his job seriously and was committed to the 24/7 support motto as promised.

Intern Group New York gave me an experience of a life time! I had opportunities to meet celebrities, go to exclusive locations around New York and even a flexible enough schedule to reconnect with a long lost brother.

The internship role was not exactly what I wanted, to be 100% honest, but regardless it was unique and challenging. I was expecting a HR role but was introduced and worked in a business development role. However, promises were kept!! I worked the hours agreed and explored the wonders of New York's delights.

Accommodation ... Was... Dreadful .. If you are used to a more luxury stay like I am accustomed to it is like a shock, shared showers and toilet facilities which fit up to 8 people at once is unheard of to me. However we was allowed our own private bedrooms which was greatly appreciated. Also 24/7 security made me feel quite safe but there were boys on the girls floor at untimely hours which made me feel a little nervous at times, there was even a drunk boy screaming in the hallway looking for his friend one night which made me feel quite unsafe which is the reason I couldn't rate the security 10/10. The accommodation however was great at giving out cheap event tickets and free events.

The overall experience was amazing, I wouldn't change it for the world and if anything Id do it all over again within the correct job role but I wouldn't erase the experience of lessons learnt.

The accommodation would be the only thing I would truly change other than that I had a great time, I don't think it has to be luxury but just nothing where bathrooms can't be used in privacy I feel that's a basic human right honestly.

Casey
Victor Harbor, SA, Australia
University of South Australia

Casey in NYC

The experience of interning in NYC has honestly been the greatest two months of my life!

I interned as a journalist for Gossip Cop, an online media out let known as the go-to source for credible celebrity news. Whilst there I gained an incredible knowledge of SEO (search engine optimization) which is far more important than initially realized, because let's be honest, Google owns the internet. Internship aside...

Living and working in NYC is the only way to progress both your personal and professional careers. I've learnt that anything is possible and to be the most positive person you can be with the opportunities in front of you!

NYC has to be one of the most thriving cities in the world! Whether that be the 18,000 restaurants in Manhattan alone or the hundreds of free and amazing events over the summer months; New York has it all! None of those experiences would have been the same if it wasn't for the incredible experience coordinator (and self-proclaimed professional photographer), Brian! This guy was the key to making sure we made the most of every waking hour!

It was through the intern group "groupies" that I've certainly made friends for life! Everyone from "poms" to "kiwis", and everyone else in between. We certainly experienced it all; including, rooftop bars, ice skating, the beach, boat tours, museums, wandering the many miles of central park, meeting celebrities, food tours, baseball games, and just simply hanging out. We were all there for the same thing, and for that I got to hang out with some of the coolest people every single day!

The major thing I could suggest as improvement is to make sure internships are applied for as soon as possible! I missed out on a lot of potential internships because they required application up to a year in advance. This was particularly prevalent in the Journalism industry, also be clear what kind of position you exactly want. There was too much time wasted on applying for internships I wasn't interested in.
Fortunately I didn't have to deal with the visa issues, as I was already in the US. However, I know a lot of other people did. Again this all just comes down to applying as soon as possible. Don't wait, don't dawdle. The more time you allow to get everything sorted, the less stressful it is for everyone.

Mimansha
Hong Kong

Experience of a lifetime

My experience in New York was great and I believe it has helped me both professionally and personally. I was constantly given tasks that challenged me at work and had great support from supervisors and peers.
I saw and experienced something new everyday in New York City and with friends from all over the world, I got a chance to live, interact and work with a very international and diverse group. All interns in the program were close and we had fun outings together along with cultural experiences.
Brian from INY brought us all together and and did a great job at helping us adjust to the city and showing us around.
Though the program was a great experience, the interview process and placement into the company interned at was not handled very professionally. The visa process was also handled unprofessionally which not only led to delay in starting my internship but also for all the interns in the program.

More interactions of the program directors, more trainings would improve the experience. Visa and placement processes need to be handled more professionally

Ryan
Stowmarket

Worked hard, played hard

This summer in New York has been the perfect combination of work experience, professional development, tourism and good fun. My internship company was perfect for what I wanted to achieve out of the summer, and the social / tourist side of the programme meant I instantly got stuck into the wealth of activities and sights that New York has to offer. In particular, organised activities like the Food on Foot tour were a great way to get off the touristy beaten path and see some hidden gems, while staples of a New York visit like going to the Top of the Rock gave us great photo opportunities. A messenger chat full of interns here for the same reason meant that there was always someone to invite out to share an experience with, whether it was dinner at a restaurant or a trip to Central Park, and I have made many great friends here. The only bad thing I can think of to say is that it eventually had to come to an end!

The visa sponsorship agency used were not very good, although as far as I can tell steps are being taken to partner with a different agency.

Kelly
Christchurch, New Zealand

American Dream

I've honestly had the time of my life at my internship. I've learnt so many things, both in my field and about myself. I genuinely feel lucky to have secured such an amazing internship at the Chief Medical Examiner's Office and I don't take any of it for granted. I was very lucky to end up in such a welcoming, lovely research team and I enjoyed constant learning throughout while also being completely lab-based, as I requested.

While my internship has been perfect, it was not easy to attain. The application and visa process is a very flawed system. This is more due to the sponsor company, but with so many interns experiencing stress and delays, I believe it is up to The Intern Group to be on top of this and make sure things are sorted much quicker. The sponsorship process was very slow and stressful and most of us missed our start dates, leaving us out of pocket when we had to change our flights or book them last minute.

The Intern Group did very well providing a social aspect, ensuring no interns were left out and the professional development seminars were very enjoyable and useful. I do recommend the programme as I have enjoyed my entire time here, just keep in mind that the application process is very long, difficult and expensive.

Also, shoutout to the Experience Coordinator Brian! He will make you love him with his dad jokes.

By using a different sponsor and also by detailing EVERY SINGLE FEE we can expect to pay on your website. The CICD fees came as a huge shock to me and I remember being very upset at this time, as the internship is not cheap and I had already budgeted for a certain amount.

I also think you need to search for the internships as soon as we are accepted, as I believe you waited due to the fact that I was told it was rather early to be searching (in November for a May internship) but because of how long the process took, I think everything needs to be sorted much sooner.

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel their career development forward. The Intern Group