- New Zealand
View Other Details
Spend a gap semester in Australia and New Zealand: located in the heart of the South Pacific, each is uniquely informed by indigenous cultures, European colonization, and diverse ecosystems. Both nations highlight the ever-evolving relationships between indigenous cultures and colonizing forces, and the challenges of balancing environmental conservation with the economics of industry and tourism. Both island nations also offer ample opportunities for outdoor adventures in some of the most picturesque regions in the world!
Learn about environmental policy and stewardship from your hosts as you traverse the rugged mountains and fertile agricultural lands in New Zealand. Connect with your neighbors to examine the role of the Māori culture in the context of post colonial reconciliation, environmental awareness, and relationship with the natural world. In Australia, explore environmental extremes as you work alongside scientists and activist in the largest contiguous rainforest.
- Engage with conservationists: Work with farmers and scientists to explore the effects of climate change, regenerative agriculture, and sustainable living
- Find your courage: Develop your leadership skills during a series of wild outdoor adventures, juxtaposed with intentional retreat
- Delve into social justice: Learn from the Māori communities and develop context and history for how indigenous traditions intersect with modern life
- Get outside: NZ and Australia were made for the adventurers - mountain bike, raft, hike, kayak, canoe, and explore this diverse region
- Positive change: As is the Carpe Diem way, take time to reflect on the challenges you witness and how you can contribute to making the world a better place
Carpe Diem Education Scholarships
Carpe Diem Education awards $30,000 annually to support diversity and inclusion in its programs. The Access Scholarship provides up to $5,000 for a gap year semester or full-year experience. The Inclusion Scholarship offers up to $2,000 for a gap year semester. The Carpe Mundi Scholarship is for Portland-based students. Grants are mostly need-based, and applications open in January.