Au Pair in Australia

This is the view on my biking route.
Au pair friends in Australia
Au pair friends in Australia
My little Red Wings fans in Australia (Louis 2 years).
Au Pair in Australia
Go exploring with new friends.
Go exploring with new friends.
Au Pair Australia

Being an au pair involves a relationship between you and a host family. You'll help them with childcare and become a member of the family. Host families provide a private room, meals, a stipend (AUD $800-1360/month), and an end-of-program bonus.

Orientation sessions (Sydney) and meet-and-greets are offered throughout the year so you'll have the chance to connect with other participants.

After your initial 6-month placement you'll be able to travel independently or extend for another 6-months (with the same family or a new one) if you prefer. There is no cost for extending your program.

InterExchange provides support through the application, host family matching and planning phases as well as alumni support when you return. Our partner organization in Australia provides meet-ups, logistical advice, mediation as needed, and maintains an emergency contact line.

Hi Robyn! The specific program requirements are as followed: U.S. citizenship 18 - 30 years old High school diploma Driver’s license (preferred) 200+ hours of experience
The application is pretty straightforward. You'll upload a few documents (intro letter, enrollment form, a few photos, diploma, etc) and then have a video call with your InterExchange coordinator, which is pretty laid back. It's meant to learn more about you and your experience, go over some key points about the program, and answer your questions. Once you're accepted you can set up video chats...

Jill

Au Pairing is a great way to see a new country

If you have experience and enjoy working with kids and you want to gain experience travelling, being an au pair is an incredible opportunity, and I'm so glad I seized it. You really get to immerse yourself in the culture by living with an Australian family--much more than you would just traveling as a tourist. There are definitely days when the kids drive you crazy and life feels mundane--and for some people they realize working with children really isn't their thing--but I've found myself well-suited to the work.

I was placed with a great, supportive family in a small town in Western Australia. It was a bit isolating at times, but it was certainly a unique way to experience Australian people and culture. It also made it easy to settle early on, as the community was so close and friendly. I explored nearby Perth on the weekends, went on trips with my host family, and made friends both with other au pairs and other Australians my age. - Making friends with people from the country is also a great way to get to know a place!

Since I'm American, I didn't have the same language barrier that some au pairs have (other than the notorious Australian slang), which made it a bit easier to settle in as well. But I have much respect and admiration for some of the people I've met who just jumped in not speaking a lot of English. In addition to Australians, I've met people from all over the world who have either moved or traveled a lot. My friend group is now global, and I feel like I can have even more courage trying new things in the future.

Moving to a new place--especially a new country--can seem difficult and scary, but InterExchange and their in-country partner were there to help me with every step--even my rambling uncertainties over email. I would consider taking another opportunity with InterExchange, and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to live in another country who isn't sure how. (In fact, I already have recommended them to some friends who have asked me about my experience!) I feel they've provided me with a foundation for exploring future travel endeavors, and I'm grateful that I discovered their program!

Response from InterExchange

You've perfectly captured the rewards we expect au pairs to come away with from their programs, as well as some of the unique challenges that everyone faces. We appreciate your insightful review and are glad you've been recommending the program to others. Thank you Jill!

Read my full story
Jade

Dreams Come True

Hard to grasp one of the best years of your life into a short review. Getting the chance to go abroad, meet people, see the world, and experience a new culture.. helped me see that there is more to life than just going to school, getting a job, and starting a family.
I got to see and do things most people would dream of and that was with the help of InterExchange. With programs like InterExchange, it gives people the chance to find themselves while experiencing a different part of the world.

I loved my experience so much that I actually decided to spend a year in New Zealand as well because I wasn't quite ready to go home just yet. I only have three months left and i'm already trying to plan my next adventure.

So... With a heavy Heart, thank you to Interexchange for giving me the chance to live out my dreams.

I have no comments
Brittany

Brittany Perlaki's Interexchange Au Pair Review

I have been placed with a fantastic family who suits me perfectly. Jiyeon was crucial in guiding me through the entire process, She was patient and prompt and kind and reassuring. She helped me make sure i had all of the documents necessary and was fully prepared to move to another country. The only complaint I can voice is that Jiyeon contacted someone (I am not sure who handles this portion) multiple times regarding the Working with Children Check, and no one ever followed through with information for me. I arrived in Australia without it completed, but it was an incredibly easy process to complete so it was not a huge concern. Also, when I paid my initial fee to use Interexchange and Smart Au Pairs a $1000 scholarship/grant was available, but when I went to apply for it, it was no longer offered. I had counted on those monies to supplement my stay so that was rather disappointing. I felt as though they should honor it for those who had signed on when it was available still.

See above regarding Working with Children Check and the program grant.
Response from InterExchange

Thank you Brittany for your great comments! We're so glad the program has gone well for you and appreciate the photos you've shared. I would point out that grant funding is not guaranteed so we encourage applicants to prepare for the costs of traveling on their own.

Abby

Traveling as an Au Pair is recommended

I had the best time in my stay as an Au Pair in Melbourne. Adjusting to a new family's schedule can be really difficult. I had a really hard time the first 3 weeks. When you are in another country (not knowing anyone), and trying to assimilate your lifestyle to the family you are living with, things can get overwhelming quickly. My time in Melbourne was really overwhelming at first. I had a lot of support from Au Pairs in the area, and Interexchange helped me join groups to help me meet people. I had a great experience with my family. I ended up extending my stay and moving to another family in another state to get more out of it. It's true, travel changes you. And traveling with a family and kids changes you in an even better way than traveling alone would.

More activity on the Interexchange Facebook would be good. More events in cities to get Au Pairs together would be a good way to meet people. Even small things like organized coffee dates.

Alumni Interviews

About InterExchange

InterExchange is a nonprofit organization devoted to promoting cross-cultural awareness through international work and volunteer exchange programs. For 40+ years, InterExchange has connected young adults from all over the world with life-changing...