InterExchange Au Pair Australia

InterExchange Au Pair Australia

InterExchange Au Pair Australia involves a six-month live-in placement with a vetted host family, followed by the option to travel and enjoy the country for up to six more months (either independently or by extending the au pair experience!).

InterExchange provides support through the application, host family matching and planning phases as well as alumni support when you return. InterExchange partner organizations provide overseas support including meet-ups with other participants, logistical advice and guidance on communication with your host family to set you up for success.

Oceania » Australia » Sydney
Program Tags
Au Pair
Primary Language
Age Max
As an au pair in Australia you will receive:

*Membership in the Au Pair Club with meetings, discounted trips and excursions
*Transportation from the airport to your host family
*Dedicated training materials for the Au Pair in Australia program and a welcome packet
*Placement with a carefully screened host family
*A private room and full board
*A stipend of AUD 170-340 per week (final stipend will be included in the contract)
*Two days off per week
*Access to InterExchange alumni resources and network

You have to send copies of your birth certificate, valid passport, background check, reference letters, drivers license, etc. Then once they verify you are a real person and not a threat to children you fill out a profile about your interests etc. You pay $250 and then they match you with families that suit your needs and interests via Smart Au Pairs. You Skype and chat with different families unt...

Brittany
Fenton
Oakland University

Brittany Perlaki's Interexchange Au Pair Review

I have been placed with a fantastic family who suits me perfectly. Jiyeon was crucial in guiding me through the entire process, She was patient and prompt and kind and reassuring. She helped me make sure i had all of the documents necessary and was fully prepared to move to another country. The only complaint I can voice is that Jiyeon contacted someone (I am not sure who handles this portion) multiple times regarding the Working with Children Check, and no one ever followed through with information for me. I arrived in Australia without it completed, but it was an incredibly easy process to complete so it was not a huge concern. Also, when I paid my initial fee to use Interexchange and Smart Au Pairs a $1000 scholarship/grant was available, but when I went to apply for it, it was no longer offered. I had counted on those monies to supplement my stay so that was rather disappointing. I felt as though they should honor it for those who had signed on when it was available still.

See above regarding Working with Children Check and the program grant.

Response from InterExchange

Thank you Brittany for your great comments! We're so glad the program has gone well for you and appreciate the photos you've shared. I would point out that grant funding is not guaranteed so we encourage applicants to prepare for the costs of traveling on their own.

Abby
Overland Park, Kansas
University of Nebraska- Lincoln

Traveling as an Au Pair is recommended

I had the best time in my stay as an Au Pair in Melbourne. Adjusting to a new family's schedule can be really difficult. I had a really hard time the first 3 weeks. When you are in another country (not knowing anyone), and trying to assimilate your lifestyle to the family you are living with, things can get overwhelming quickly. My time in Melbourne was really overwhelming at first. I had a lot of support from Au Pairs in the area, and Interexchange helped me join groups to help me meet people. I had a great experience with my family. I ended up extending my stay and moving to another family in another state to get more out of it. It's true, travel changes you. And traveling with a family and kids changes you in an even better way than traveling alone would.

More activity on the Interexchange Facebook would be good. More events in cities to get Au Pairs together would be a good way to meet people. Even small things like organized coffee dates.

InterExchange is a nonprofit organization devoted to promoting cross-cultural awareness through international work and volunteer exchange programs. For 40+ years, InterExchange has connected young adults from all over the world with life-changing international cultural exchange opportunities.

We help young adults find opportunities including paid and