LoPair Education: Au Pair Cultural Exchange Program in China

2017 IAPA Au Pair of the Year Award Winner | 2018 LoPair Scholarship is calling you!

The LoPair Scholarship Fund exists to help high quality applicants fulfill their dreams of living in China by providing reduced program costs. Don't miss your chance; apply now!

Nǐ hǎo! LoPair offers an award-winning cultural exchange program which enables you to become fully immersed in Chinese culture, learn Mandarin, make fantastic friends from across the globe. We'll provide you with a 3-12 month placement in a major Chinese city living in a homestay with a lovely Chinese or Expat family.

Your adventure starts with a three-day group orientation, training and sight-seeing tour in the beautiful city of Hangzhou! You'll get 60 Mandarin class hours per 3 months, fascinating Chinese cultural courses etc. You will become a real family member and assist them with live-in educational childcare and some light household chores up to 30 hours a week — you'll get a room of your own, meals, insurance and international round way flight tickets! On top of this, you will have plenty of chances to explore on your own, with other au pairs and with your family while receiving 1500 RMB pocket money per month and a Completion Bonus for all programs exceeding 6 months!

Hi Karlie, I agree with Clara that asking directly Lopair ([email protected]) is the best idea. I am 99% sure it's impossible to have two au pairs in the same family, but I think you guys can manage to be placed in the same city! The matching process might just take a little bit longer, because you have to make sure you both find your families in the same city. Hope this helped, and let me know if...

Jowita

A Home away from home

This is my second time back aupairing for Lopair in China and my first time on the summer programme.
It has been an absolute dream, my host family is absolutely amazing, they have accepted me into their home and from day one I have had absolutely no problems. I love spending time with my host kids as well as the rest of the family, could not have asked for a better placement.
I'm addition to a lovely host family I have really enjoyed going to school which is included in the programme. I feel as though my Chinese has greatly improved and I've met some lovely people.
I've also had an amazing time exploring Beijing. In the 4 weeks of being here I've managed to do a trip a week with friends I'd made because of the aupair programme.
I think for anyone who's interested in seeing China and loves working with kids this is a great experience. I've grown to be more resistant and understanding due to my work as an aupair as well having widened my horizons.

Annie

China is Amazing... Lopair isn't.

When I first heard of Lopair their au pair programme looked like a good option for my gap year; so I applied and went through with the matching process etc. I found a family who lived in Shanghai and seemed nice. They told me in the interview that they lived 40 mins by metro outside of central Shanghai. They also told me that they wanted to take me abroad with them on their family holidays. This was in early December so when they asked when I would be coming I told them either January or February on one of the company's arrival dates. They took that to mean that I would arrive on 11th January and when I confirmed to Lopair that I would actually be coming in early February they seemed a little annoyed. But it was clearly just a communication issue so I took no more notice of it.

I first started to have doubts when Lopair asked me to get a multiple entry 90day tourist visa (instead of their usual single entry 180day study visa) in order to be able to go abroad with the family. They insisted that if I wanted to go abroad I needed to make up a fake tourist itinerary to apply for the visa and not to make any mention of Lopair at the visa office at all. The company representative I was e-mailing gave me a fake flight sheet and an example itinerary which was based on me receiving a family invitation letter. However I did not get a family invitation letter and was supposed to make (cancellable) hotel bookings for the duration of my fake 20 day trip. This all seemed very shady to me so I contacted my UK representative. She was lovely and really helpful in reassuring me that this process had worked for many au pairs before. Lopair also assured me that if something went wrong and I did not go abroad with my family they would pay for my trip to Hong Kong in order to renew my visa. So I went to the Chinese visa office in London and was initially turned away because my flight tickets were fake. I immediately contacted Lopair and they booked real flight tickets for me that same morning so I was able to hand in my application the same day. Their response was quick and helpful but it worried me that their original advice had been wrong. What if the visa office had let me hand in my application and it had been denied? It was less that two weeks before my flight. My visa was also about twice the price of the student one and I had to pay for it myself.

I arrived in China and was put on a long distance bus to Hangzhou with a few other au pairs. The orientation camp was nice because we got to make a few friends who would be going to other cities and got to see a little of Hangzhou which is a lovely place. However we were all very jet lagged and the “training” was essentially a series of power point presentations and didn’t tell us anything they hadn’t already covered in one of the webinars. This was a little disappointing as I had been under the impression that we would have some kind of team building activities or maybe a workshop with kids. But never mind, I made some nice friends.

Next we were transferred to our host cities. In my case there were two other au pairs going to Shanghai and we got the bullet train together. I felt sorry for some of the others who had to get domestic flights on their own so soon after arriving. We were told to meet our families at Starbucks when we arrived at the train station and managed to find each other after only an hour without wifi or working phones. Success! Now to settle in and get to know the new family.

Everything seemed fine at first. My host mum took me to the supermarket to buy any food that I wanted ( as I’d told her that I am vegetarian and she wanted to make sure there was something I could eat ). I had my own room, she gave me a house key, a metro card and a SIM for my phone. My 7 year old host kid already spoke fluent english as he went to international school and we got on very well from the beginning. They had an ayi (nanny) who did all the cooking and cleaning so my duties were purely with the kid. However I quickly discovered that their house was much farther away from the centre than the 40 mins I had been told. It took me nearly 2 hours to get to Chinese class (including a bus ride to get to the metro station) and I had a 10pm curfew on my day off. The 1500 RMB monthly pocket money is also too little to live well in an expensive city like Shanghai; I pretty quickly found myself eating into my savings.

When Chinese new year came, just two weeks after my arrival, I was told to pack my suitcase because we would be going to stay in a hotel in Shanghai. I thought this was weird - since they lived in Shanghai - and they told me that because I had “delayed” my arrival they had to change their plans to go abroad. That didn’t make sense to me - I was still there wasn’t I? Anyway, we stayed in a 5 star hotel which was incredible as it was my first experience going to a place like that. Apart from a visit to the temple next door we almost never left the hotel. We had meals there, swam in the pool and sat in the lounge on the very top floor playing chess and doing homework. It was totally different from my idea of holiday but a great experience nonetheless.

When my coordinator first came to visit my host mum told me that they had plans to go to England in July - one month before the end of my contract - to look at schools. I couldn’t go with them but they wanted me to travel and then come back to work for them in August. I have plans in August so that wasn’t possible. My other option was to find a new family for the last month. Again they blamed this on my “delayed” arrival.

The real problems started occurring after I asked to stay out of the house in a hostel one night on my ‘weekend off’ (it was actually a Thursday). My host mum didn’t want to let me but said it was okay if it was just this once. She asked me to be back in the early afternoon the next day and I didn’t complain even though I was supposed to have a full 48 hours off. I went to Disneyland with some friends and in the evening we went out to a club. It was great until some of us lost our coats (some of which had their phones in) from the cloakroom, and one of my friends was drugged. Bearing in mind this was early March and it was freezing, we went back to the hostel and reported our stuff stolen to the police the next day. Luckily I still had my phone but I was with two friends who had lost theirs, one of which was from another city and had no way of contacting her host family. We contacted my local coordinator to help her get back home and I went with them both, as the only one with a phone, to make sure they met up okay. The coordinator was actually late and I went home almost as soon as she arrived. I informed my host mum that I would be around 15 mins late because of the unfortunate situation. She didn’t take it well and threw a fit, telling me that I was irresponsible and they she would never let me stay out of the house again, refusing to believe that I could actually be helping a friend because I can’t speak Chinese. I again contacted my coordinator who told me that she’d already received a call from my host mum and advised me to ‘tell her the truth of the situation” as if i had been lying. I asked if i could have my coordinator’s support to discuss this with my host mum because communication between us was difficult (her english wasn’t very good and my Chinese was non-existent at that point). She just told me again to “apologise and tell the truth’’. I realised then that I was actually very unhappy in my family - I felt trapped miles from anywhere with a curfew and no friends living nearby. I was also doing very few duty hours and felt that I was having little impact on my kid as he spoke perfect English already and they just wanted me to read books with him. They never stuck to the schedule they had given me and sometimes the family would just leave without telling me when they would be back, meaning I couldn’t know if I had time to go out so had to just wait for them in the house. They never once took me out with them on the weekend or arranged any activity that i could go to with them.

I asked to change families, but somehow my coordinator persuaded me to stay until the end of my third month. I knew at this point that my family would be going on holiday to Hong Kong at the end of April and told my coordinator about this. She didn’t think there would be a problem - I would stay with the family and leave after the trip with them. I needed to go in order to renew my visa anyway and if I didn’t go with my host family then Lopair would have to pay for my trip. I was advised to wait until 2 weeks before the end of my third month to give notice, and wouldn’t be able to look for a new family before then.

So I sucked it up for another five weeks and finally told my host mum I wanted to leave. Very politely might I add (I’m sorry, its not you its me etc.). She was furious. The next day my coordinator came over to discuss everything and I was informed that I had to either pay for my flights and 5 star hotel in Hong Kong with them or stay with the family until the end of June. They were asking for the equivalent of about £700 for me to leave. They were essentially trying to bully me into staying. Apparently the hotel was non-refundable (which I didn’t really believe, hotels tend not to be completely non-refundable 2 weeks before your stay) and although the trip was supposed to be a family holiday to which I was invited since I’m “part of the family” they made it sound as though it was all my fault because of my visa. Lopair suggested that my host mum pay half and Lopair would pay for my flights so I would be left with only a smaller fee of about £300. I would still get to go to Hong Kong and renew my visa and then hopefully leave the family without too much drama. I agreed to this but my host mum refused. She kicked me out, telling me I had one hour to pack my bags. Even though the contract states that both the family and I should respect a 2 week grace period during which I continue to work for them and receive room, board, and pocket money, I was never even paid the pocket money for those first two weeks of April that I did actually work. When I approached Lopair about it they refused to reimburse me and implied that it was my fault my host mum wouldn’t pay me.

After a tearful goodbye to my host kid I got into the car with my coordinator. I was shocked that even as we were driving away from the house (and I was visibly crying) she still tried to explain my host mum’s point of view. I honestly felt that I had been very understanding of her feelings and apologised throughout but no one had really tried to see the situation from my perspective. My host mum couldn’t understand that I was unhappy and still refused to lift my curfew. I was dropped off at a hostel (which I had to pay for myself) and left to come to terms with my new situation.

I was very lucky to match with a new German-Chinese host family in just two days and was delighted to discover that they lived centrally and I had total freedom. Having an interview in person was a thousand times better that on the phone and i got to see where they lived and actually meet the kid and the parents properly. It was quite the contrast from my first host family where I couldn’t even be in the kid’s bedroom with him unless the door was open. Now I was trusted to drop off and pick up my little girl from kindergarten on an electric scooter and look after her all afternoon with no supervision! I suddenly made lots of new friends because of my newfound freedom and I could go out with them in the evenings and on weekends because my family was normal and wanted to spend time with their children on weekends rather than have me teaching the whole time. I told them my story and my host dad very kindly asked Lopair to reimburse me for the pocket money that I wasn’t paid by my previous host family. I had tried asking them already and expected them to refuse but the response from our coordinator was simply “okay”. I felt this really showed how much better the families are treated by the agency compared to au pairs.

I still had to go to Hong Kong in order to renew my visa so I had to badger Lopair to book my flights. When they wouldn’t book the ones I wanted (since they were 200RMB more than their budget) they agreed to send me the money so I could book them myself. However all this hassle and delay meant that everything was very last minute and therefore rather expensive. Hong Kong was great and I’m glad I went alone because I doubt I would have seen anything but the inside of a fancy hotel if I had gone with my old host family.

Being with a family that I loved and having real freedom let me enjoy Shanghai for the first time since I arrived. Of course every family has their difficulties but this time they were minor and overall everything was great. The only issue was that they could only have me for 2 and a half months as they had another au pair coming and I would still have to find a new family for the last month. I didn’t mind because they were so great and I thought it would be worth it if I got to be happy for the next 10 weeks.

As it turns out, once I’d spent 2 months living with my amazing family, the thought of staying with a new one that might give me a curfew or didn’t let their kids play games filled me with dread. I had one interview which didn’t go well, and the host mum only wanted someone for a week anyway. So I waited for more interviews. A week passed and still nothing came. With just 10 days left and still no suitable family found, I decided that I would rather spend my last month travelling and getting to see a little of the country I’d lived in for the past 5 months. I contacted Lopair and asked to leave.

I knew that I would forfeit my measly 1000RMB completion bonus (not even one full month’s pocket money) and that they might ask me to pay a fee towards my flights according to their ‘early return policy’. All I asked from them was to keep my return flight on the same date it was booked for. I thought they no longer held anything over me and my leaving was saving them the hassle of finding me a new family for just one short, awkward month.

It took four days for them to respond to my requests which I wasn’t thrilled about. The response I got from my coordinator was “Lopair didn’t agree you to leave the program with Lopair’s visa”. I was outraged. I have a tourist visa which I paid for myself. I lied on every single immigration form at Lopair’s request to include no mention of them whatsoever. I wanted to use MY visa for its intended purpose - actual tourism. I met with my coordinator the next day and told her this. She said if I chose to leave the programme they would move my flight to the next week and I would have to go straight home. When I pushed her to give me a reason or explanation for this seemingly unnecessary action (it costs money to move flights!) the best she could come up with was that Lopair didn’t want me in Shanghai with other au pairs if I was no longer on the programme. I might give them a ‘bad feeling’ about the agency. I asked “so Lopair is trying to protect their reputation from me?”. She changed her story, saying that it is their usual policy to send au pairs home after the end of their programme because “Lopair is the reason you came to china”. I knew this was untrue. When I first applied to the programme I had asked Lopair to book my return flight 2 weeks after my end date because I wanted to travel. This had caused no problems before and my flight was booked on the date that I wanted. Now that I wanted to leave they were threatening to change it against my will. I pushed her again but couldn’t get a straight answer out of her. I could afford to pay them their “early return fee” according to the contract but I couldn’t afford to buy a new international flight.

My coordinator then told me that I was “just feeling stressed” and not to worry because they would find me a nice family. I went home that evening and told my host parents what had happened. They were very understanding and agreed that what Lopair were doing was unjustified. They discussed it that evening and when they later told me that they could extend for one month (their other au pair had delayed her arrival) I cried tears of relief.

I think the thing to remember about Lopair is that at the end of the day they are still running a business and they are here to make money. The au pairs are not their clients, the families are. They will support the family over the au pair if given the choice. The au pairs are their ‘product’ and they will do whatever they can to make a profit out of us.

That said, I don’t regret coming to China with Lopair. It has been an invaluable experience. I have learnt not to accept being unhappy just because it suits others and to stand up for myself against a company that have tried repeatedly to bully me. I will never let anyone book flights for me again. I have begun to understand both the Chinese language and the wildly different culture, and discovered that I don’t really like Chinese food. I will still take two weeks to travel after I finish at the end of July and I am very excited to see more of this beautiful country. I have made friends both in China and from around the world. I fell in love with my second family, and with Shanghai, and I know that I will return to China in the future - but not as an au pair.

No, I don't recommend
Juliana melissa

Au Pair in China

Is not an easy job, is a hard experience to come to a different country, the culture is having a big impact because is so different, there are a lot of bad days and good days! Like everything, not always is perfect!
Sometimes the kids are so spoiled, so it makes your job so hard to fulfill.
The best part is your day off, hanging out with friends and going to some places, the money sometimes is not enough to buy and to make a lot of things, but you can figure it out.

Making and dealing with better options for the Au pairs, I think the agency can do more for the Au pairs.
Wiebke

Half year aupair programm

My host family was very nice and they showed me as much of their culture as they could. You meet a lot of interesting people and Lopair offers a lot of interesting activities. The people working there always try to help you and you can call them at any time. You have the opportunity to see many different cities and one of the most beautiful ones right in the beginning, when you do your orientation days in Hangzhou. These orientation days are extremely helpful. You meet other au pairs and the stuff tells you what to expect in China and what to be careful about.

Sometimes the local coordinators are hard to contact. When you need help and you are not able to reach your contact person, it stresses you out and you don't know what to do. Especially when you do not speak a word Chinese it is hard to get help
Gina

Beijing Au Pair

I really liked my six months in Beijing as an Au Pair. It was a great experience that made me grow as a person and I became much more independent and sure of my choices. I had a lot of fun with my host children and there are several moments that made me extremely happy and grateful but if course there were also very challenging days that requires a lot of self assurance. I really enjoyed learning Chinese and getting to know the Chinese Culture

Amanda

Aupair in Shanghai (6 months)

My experience as an aupair in China was great! My host family was extremely nice to me and took me on trips with them. We went to Sanya, Beijing, their hometown, etc. I spent 6 months in the amazing city of Shanghai and met so many people from all over the world. My host kid was super well behaved and so sweet. I also loved the family dog! With this agency you are required to work 30 hours a week and you're supposed to get 1 day and a half off. You're also supposed to get one weekend off every month. Those things are written on the contract and you are entitled to it. If you do not remind your host family of those things, they will ignore it. Know your contract, and also make sure that you make it clear with your host family that you want a schedule or not you'll end up working odd hours and being called in on your day off. Lucky for me my family respected the contract. I do recommend this agency because compared to other agencies in China it's top notch.

Carina

A momentous opportunity

The last six months of my life has been a truly momentous experience. The Lopair program provides the opportunity to travel, be truly submerged into the Chinese culture and make unique, life long connections and memories. Living with a host family allows a experience that can't be replicated in a hotel. And living with them for six months, most surely makes them family. The program also provides additional opportunities, like the fact that you learn Mandarin at an official language school.

Ellen

6 months in Shanghai

My personal experience with LoPair has been okay. But the fact that I already knew the Italian family that I have been staying with here in Shanghai means that I have not been using the support system that LoPair offers you and therefore do not feel like I can review it.

As an au pair you are signed up at a mandarin school where you take language classes, that are mandatory, and you are also supposed to have cultural classes. Unfortunately I have not been able to attend the cultural classes sense we didn’t get more then one weeks notice about when these would be held. I gave this feedback to the company so hopefully it will change.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to come to China for an exchange is that usually it’s a big cultural difference between the au pair and the Chinese family so don’t be afraid to ask if you can be put in contact with one or two people that has already been here so you can get a better insight.

As I wrote in my review I think there could be improvement in the planning of cultural classes.

I had appreciated to have been contacted at least a month before my departure date to be informed about what needs to be done before I leave and to book the flight ticket home. Instead I got contacted a week before.
Shannah

My experience in Shanghai

I spent 6 months in Shanghai starting in November. It has honestly been one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. The family I got matched with have been absolutely fantastic. Obviously there have been some huge differences between our cultures but they were fantastic and enjoying hearing the differences in culture and expectations. The mandarin has been difficult to learn but my teacher was wonderful and helped every step of the way. I've heard other people have had bad experiences but nothing of my time here has been anything less than great. (Also the family took me with them on their holidays so I got to travel beyond Shanghai, beyond the tourist facade)

Christian

The long 6 month journey

As I started I didn`t know what i should expect. A new country, a new culture, a new family, a new home. I had to take care of 2 boys in the age of 3 and 5. As soon as I arrived in Shanghai, I was a part of the family. They often took me to different places, showed me the city and intruduced me to the chinese lifestyle. If there were any problems, I could easily talk to my Host-parents or my Local Coordinator about it. Especially the first oriantation days were really helpfull to get a view on how my life looks like for the next 6 months. The most important thing with chinese kids is to be patient! If you are patient enough and get through the first month, you will also easily get through the rest.
I can totally recommend this programm to everybody who wants to learn more about the chinese culture, the language, the food and likes to play and work with children!

It is hard to meet other aupairs in your free time and do activities. Everybody has on another day off, you have to be very flexible with your time and normally you have to work way more than you should. Maybe except for the cultural class there should also be an activity class at least once in a month.
Katharina

My experience as an aupair = experience for life-time

If you are child-loving, eager to experience a different culture and are interested in learning China, this program is excactely the right one for you. As every other aupair I also had some cultural shocks at the beginning even though I was already aware of cultural differences! However the cultural differences are sometime quite helpful to experience Chinese lifestyle.... From my point of view I can just say that it was a wonderful time and I enjoyed myself a lot. I had a wonderful time with my second host family - they were just the perfect fit! Playing games with children, read books to them and simply teach them English - that’s basically what aupairing in Chinese families is about... Of course you will also experience Chinese lifestyle, food and culture when living together with your family ;). But you should now that being an aupair is a “serious job” and it’s not about partying! If you’re looking for this, then this is the wrong choice to make... But I guess you already know that! Just be open-minded and try to integrate into the Chinese family, then the experience might be the best one of your life!!! Looking back I cannot say I regret my decision to come to Shanghai: It’s a great town for sightseeing, for learning Mandarin at Mandarin House (especially learning this unique language made my aupair in China a fantastic experience) , meeting new friends (Chinese and expats) and meeting a fabulous host family!!! I will definitely miss mine and really hope they will visit me some day in Germany ✈️!!! That’s what your aupair is about: Taking a new family/ home into your heart and building up a lifelong lasting relationship with them❤️.

The staff is great and always helpful but I e.g. never got to sign my second contract... That was pretty weird for me! And I must say I unterstand families insist on curfews, but I think they should only apply to working days as never actually having a night off is quite hard as your social life is really minimalized... However all in all I can highly recommend this program for adventurous people, who are interested in China and love to work with children;)...
Ana

My aupair experience

Mi au pair experience in china has been wonderfull, first when I came I didn’t really knew what to expect. It was a leap of faith. I didn’t really knew much of my host family or the kids that I would be with, but I decided to give it a chance and I have no regrets. The Chen’s have been more than welcoming. they have embraced me with my highs and lows and I’m more than greatfull because I fell pampered and taken cared of everyday since I arrived. They have shared not only their culture, views and costumes but their home and love. It has become a place where I feel comfortable and happy. We all help each other and try to make everyday the best of it. Not speaking the same language can be a huge barrier to deal with simple daily life issues, so it is really important to be with opened minded people that are willing to embrace the task. The Chen’s are always willing to listen to me in the most basic ways, we take things with humor and that helps to overcome any misunderstandings that life may bring. My 3 little girls are more than just my host kids, they have become my partners in crime, my playmates, my sunshine and my sisters. I’m so lucky to have them. They re intrepid, funny, loving and playful. Everyday I try to make them learn something new in an interesting and enjoyable way and they are always exited to see what new task I’ll prepare for them in the future. They are clever, smart and just wonderfull to be around. They try to keep me informed about what hapends around us even if I don’t speak the language so they have become my best allies during this journey, I can’t imagine having my Chinese experience without them. And ofcourse there has been moments of doubt and loneliness but I think that has made me even more aware of the things I have at home and usually give for granted, there’s nothing that a positive attitude and hard work cant beat . I have a different perspective of society and life since I came to this beautiful country. in china is not about how strong one person can be, Chinese know better when it comes to that, they believe that United, better things can be achieved and that includes family. I know my time here has been a great experience for them and for me and I will miss them when I’m gone. They will always have a place in my hearth and the Chen’s have made china a place I’m happy to call home.

I think it needs more guidance for the au pairs and better activities for them to relate
Rosa

Best experience of my Life

Being an Aupair is challenging, but rewarding. Rewarding because you get to become part of a family and immerse yourself completely in the cultural. You also get to meet so many people from all over the world and learn a language that at first may seem impossible, but is actually quite easy. You get to make life long friendships and you get opportunities to travel around China.
Living in a foreign country is obviously going to be difficult. Having an open mind is definitely a must, keep in mind you're in a  different territory which means different rules, different traditions and customs. I lived 6 months in Beijing and 6 months in shanghai and i must say Beijing was my favorite. I think its the perfect place to experience china. During the time I was an Aupair I got hosted by 3 families and the the children I taught captured my heart completely. I love them, they will always have a special place in my heart as well as the families. 2 out of the 3 families that hosted me were perfect matches, now, with that being said, not every match is successful. Choose your host family wisely. Get in touch with other Aupairs and ask questions, but remember everyone's experience is different. If you have a problem with your host family remember communication is key. Talk it out with them first and if you can't reach an agreement then get the company involved. If you have a conflict with the family do not take it out on the company. They will help as much as they can.
I fell in love with China so much that i signed another 6 months. Unfortunately my year abroad has come to an end, but I'm not sad because I know I'm coming back soon. China has become my home. Give it a shot. Its worth it.

Chris

3 month au pair program

I very much enjoyed my time as an au pair in Shanghai. Having studied for a year in Hong Kong I was eager to return to Asia and experience living day to day in China. The opportunity to live for 3 months in one of the world's global cities has been invaluable. In 3 months, I had secured a job, set up a bank account, found flat and made a network of friends. Without this opportunity none of this would have been achieved.

Andrea

Challenging but worth it

I undertook a 6 month program with a family in Shenzhen. I took care of a two year old boy and spent most of my time with the host grandmother and ayi. The orientation that Lopair provides is excellent it makes you feel safe and prepared, you meet countless people from all over the world, some in which I still keep in touch with. From my experience my host family took the phrase 'become part of our family' literally, of course this approach came with a few bumps it really allowed me to become fully immersed in the Chinese culture. I recommend this program because even if the experience isn't all positive and perfect you will definitely come out the other side having learnt something. Personally for me, this was a huge step out of my comfort zone but I don't regret it because of all the people I met, the language that was once so foreign to me is now understandable and the fact that I now have a second family in China that is happy to welcome me back again with open arms. So even if you are unsure of your decision, I would advise you to still try it, even in unfortunate cases Lopair is still supportive of whatever decision you make and will help you get to where you want to be. I will also mention that the children can be difficult to deal with as most of the time they are overprotected and/or over indulged by their families. Of course there are exceptions but this sometimes results in undisciplined host children which can be difficult to deal with. In my personal experience I wish I had done the 3 month program because by the fourth month I had become weary. Which is why I recommend to any future au pairs not to bite off more than you can chew and to extend your stay if you find yourself enjoying the experience. All aspects outside of the family such as social life and school are great, you learn so much and meet new people. When it comes to the family get to know as much about them during your interviews.

About LoPair Education

LoPair, based in Hangzhou, is proud to be the 1st Chinese au pair company that wins the Au Pair of the Year Winner Award at 2017 annual campaign run by International Au Pair Association. We place au pairs from worldwide with host families in 10+...