LoPair Education: Au Pair Cultural Exchange Program in China

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, LoPair Education has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily and may be offering flexible booking options as well. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Enjoy your hobbies in your free time!
Enjoy your hobbies in your free time!
We’re always a great team!!!
We’re always a great team!!!
aupairing = playing
aupairing = playing
The best host kid ever ❤️
The best host kid ever ❤️
Family atmosphere at Disneyland
Family atmosphere at Disneyland
Cultural exchange - Try to bring your own cultural traditions to China!
Cultural exchange - Try to bring your own cultural traditions to China!
Go travelling and explore China!
Go travelling and explore China!
shanghai's pearl tower
shanghai's pearl tower

Nǐ hǎo! LoPair offers an award-winning cultural exchange program which enables you to become fully immersed in Chinese culture, learn Mandarin, make fantastic friends from across the globe. We'll provide you with a 3-12 month placement in a major Chinese city living in a homestay with a lovely Chinese or Expat family.

Your adventure starts with a three-day group orientation, training and sight-seeing tour in the beautiful city of Hangzhou! You'll get 60 Mandarin class hours per 3 months, fascinating Chinese cultural courses etc. You will become a real family member and assist them with live-in educational childcare and some light household chores up to 30 hours a week — you'll get a room of your own, meals, insurance and international round way flight tickets! On top of this, you will have plenty of chances to explore on your own, with other au pairs and with your family while receiving 1500 RMB pocket money per month and a Completion Bonus for all programs exceeding 6 months!

2017 IAPA Au Pair of the Year Award Winner | 2019 LoPair Scholarship is calling you!

The LoPair Scholarship Fund exists to help high quality applicants fulfill their dreams of living in China by providing reduced program costs. Don't miss your chance; apply now!

Hi Karlie, I agree with Clara that asking directly Lopair (aupair@lopair.com) is the best idea. I am 99% sure it's impossible to have two au pairs in the same family, but I think you guys can manage to be placed in the same city! The matching process might just take a little bit longer, because you have to make sure you both find your families in the same city. Hope this helped, and let me know if...

Hannah

6 Months in Hangzhou

I embarked on this six-month placement in China with the aim of having a relatively 'productive' gap year, improving my Chinese language skills and forging connections which might prove useful in the future.

With regard to these aims, the experience was very valuable. My Chinese came on in leaps and bounds thanks to a mostly Chinese-speaking home environment and the best Chinese teaching I've ever received. I also had a really good relationship with my host family (with one caveat that will be outlined below), and will be sure to stay in contact with them for a long time to come. Despite the bulk of my placement overlapping with restrictions due to the pandemic, I was able to see lots of China, taste lots of its food and overall have many unique experiences. Highlights include cupping therapy (definitely an acquired taste!), tongue-numbing Sichuan hotpot and the spectacular scenery of Guilin.

If not for the virus situation, that would definitely be my last word on the programme. However, the fact that our host children weren't attending school meant that myself and most other au pairs were working double the hours stated in our contracts, and I felt that the agency could have stressed more to the families that this was unfair. However, I'm sure that Lopair would have happily facilitated a change of family had I requested one, and the fact that I didn't reflects just how well I got on with my family in all other respects.The fact that I stayed in China, far from family in the middle of a pandemic and working longer hours than anticipated also attests to how great the programme was for my Chinese. I was willing to make some sacrifices in order to reap the benefits of a truly amazing environment for language-learning.

Another nice bonus was making some life-long friendships while out there. I would definitely recommend the programme, though obviously it depends what your goals are at the outset.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Visiting one of my host parents' home towns, which really humbled me in terms of my Chinese skills but made me more determined than ever to keep working on it. Definitely not a model solution but ended up eating my way through the weekend.
Lorena

My Journey in Hangzhou

When I arrived in China I was really happy but worried. How will the first days going?

But actually it was good. More than good. The other Aupairs (the german ones mostly) are my friends until now. Everyone was so nice and we had the greatest days at the orientation at Lopair.

The people from Lopair are so great. I love them all. Maybe someday I want to work for this kind of company. It seems great to me.
After we all went to our Host families I finally realize I was the only Aupair in Hangzhou. It was hard to know the other Aupairs who already where in Hangzhou for months because they’re already built groups and it’s difficult to fit in and get into it.

So my first weeks I’ve stayed with my family. Aiden and Alayne are my siblings. We’re not siblings by blood but I feel the connection between us. I love them. Really. My host parents are the most lovable parents that you can get. I‘m really lucky that I found a place that I can call home. I can’t never thank them enough to be such a kind and loving family.
I never had problems with my family, I heard from some of the other Aupairs that they changed families but I‘m really thankful that I‘ve been here.

The most I‘m thankful for is Yvonne and Jane. This two girls made me feel happy and helped me alot these days.

More interaction between all the Aupairs and the Lopair stuff.
gregor
No, I don't recommend this program

Absolutely Horrible Company (Do not go)

It started of well but after the first month me and almost every single other aupair had severe communication problems as they never did anything but send a WeChat message to the families if anything occurred always in their defence as the family pays 20,000¥ per month (£2000) and we only get paid 1,500¥ (£150) per month so if you sign up you are completely expendable to them.

I won't mention any of the other aupairs problems but in my situation my host family decided to move to a different part of China due to an ill family member endgame me 12 hours notice for me to decide if I wanted to come or not. If I left Lopair told me I wouldn't receive my language classes so I decided to switch families. When I told Lopair my decision they took a while to respond but they told didn't have a family for me and that I would have to wait for a new one.

What they failed to mention in their website is that they provide no accommodation or aid while I'm waiting for a new family. THEY LEFT ME HOMELESS IN BEIJING FOR OVER A WEEK! Due to our extremely low pay rate I had no money for an airbnb but I luckily met some people who said I could sleep in their apartment for a few nights. if that hadn't happened then I would've been sleeping on the streets.

If that wasn't enough they also charged me 300¥ because I left 3/4 through the month so I didn't complete that month of work which took away all of the money I had for food.

And of course THE WORST PART. I left at the and of January while the Corona virus was really bad. Because of this reason my host family didn't want to continue having me teach the children incase I gave them the virus so I contacted Lopair to get a new family, they said that they weren't accepting new families because of the virus and told me I HAD to fly home. I understood that so I asked when my flight left and they said that they wouldn't book my flight unless I paid them 3000¥ because they weren't accepting flights PLUS a number of different charges which weren't listed in our contract!!!

They did this to almost every single aupair and since it was 2 months of our salary none of us could afford it! A lot of my German friends got evacuated by their government and because the charges amounted to thousands of Yuan I begged my parents to buy me a flight home and I could pay them back for it when I start work again at home. Some of my friends from South America were stranded in China after I left trying to scrape together the money to get home.

This company does not provide any support to aupairs whatsoever and will only try to extort you for even more money. I would encourage you to look at other companies as a lot of them take excellent care of you but don't go with LoPair for your own safety, thank you

Response from LoPair Education

Dear Gregor,

Thank you for your valuable comments regarding to LoPair Au Pair China Program.

We truly value your feedback for this program as it could help us to improve our program in the future and we are very sorry to hear that you had very bad experience in China, especially at this very difficult time during the pandemic.

If you still have time to help us revisit your case, you are more than welcome to drop me a line at my email address justine.wang@lopair.com. I would like to sort out a few details with you together since I was on my maternity leave during your coronavirus outbreak time, and to see if there's anything we could do to make you feel a bit more relieved.

My sincere apology for the very bad experience!

Best regards,
Justine Wang
Program Wang

MANJARI

Hangzhou

My expirience has been great as an au pair in China . It has thought me a lot and made me grow as a person.
the culture and everything is so different. The people and the manners too. You can deffenetly learn a lot.
To my surprise after six months in China, I dont want to go home yet.
If you are thinking about being an au pair in your gap year, I would say China is a different and exiting opportunity to choose. Besides the long, old culture you will also gain knowledge into the Chinese language.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The food that I had to take up a lot of courage to try was definetly chicken feet
Andreea

Great experience!

My experience as an au pair in Shanghai was awesome! I'm about to complete my 6 months program and I will extend for 4 more. My host family is the best I could've wish for. They helped me settle in and they made me part of the family! I have a great relationship with my host kids and we always do something fun together.
The mandarin classes were really cool with an awesome teacher. I came here that I didn't know anything of the language and I have improved a lot through hard work.
Lo pair staff is also very friendly and they always answered all my questions very quickly.
I would totally recommend this experience, it's a great opportunity to explore a country and a culture that's so different from what we are used to and it allows you to grow a lot as a person.

Marion

Six months in Shanghai

I've been an Au Pair in Shanghai with Lo Pair for soon six month, I live a wonderful experience here. This is mainly due to the fact that my host family give me a lot of free time which enable me to meet a lot of friends and became fluent in Chinese ( I had a beginner level when I arrive and I can now speak normally). I think that the most important is that those six months really gave me an other vision of the world. The family part is important but it's thanks to my friends that I get to see what was the normal life of a young people here.

I think that to have a good experience the two majors factors are : First your host family, take your time to choose the right one and always ask the Wechat of their foster Au Pair to have his advice. Second what you choose to do during your free time, because if you come to China to spend six months doing nothing and be bored all the time it's obviously going to be a bad experience.
Read my full story
Marie

Great experience

Spending 6 month in China was such a great experience. LoPair did a great job and the support was always good. Living in such a big city was a great experience and I’ll never forget that. Teaching a Chinese child is very interesting because you’ll always see the improvement after that time. Beside that I always enjoyed the Chinese lessons and I think that it was useful for me to learn such a different and interesting language. I’m very thankful for everything I’ve experienced and would always recommend the program. Thank you!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was frog and of course chicken feet
Wencke

Chinese culture as its closest

Of you want to learn about Chinese culture and language than this is your program! LoPair provides good families and a very good support to make this a great experience. You will learn about Chinese traditions, language, food, music, values and beliefs. In terms of helping with communication or cultural differences LoPair is always there to help!! Also they arrange cultural events every month which makes it very easy to connect with other people in China and at the same time you are learning more about Chinese culture. In addition you will have Chinese Language lessons to learn how to speak Chinese and learn about the Chinese characters so you will be able to gain Chinese language skills. Choose LoPair to make the most out of your time abroad.

Make a Chinese bank account to pay with WeChat or Alipay on your phone. Makes everything much easier