Award-winning Internships in Shanghai - CRCC Asia: Engineering & More

New programs, new cities!

Now announcing program locations in Tokyo, Japan and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam!

CRCC Asia offers award-winning internships in Shanghai, China (as featured on CNBC, Bloomberg, WSJ). Few cities in the world evoke so much history, excess, glamour, mystique and exotic promise in name alone, and this is your unbelievable opportunity to intern there.

Through these 1, 2 or 3-month global internship programs, you will have the valuable opportunity to immerse yourself in Chinese culture, cuisine, history, business whilst having the chance to explore the many amazing attractions that exist throughout the vastness of China! CRCC works with over 600 forward-thinking host companies and so we are confident we can find the perfect internship for you, irrelevant of sector. Simply let us know which sectors you wish to work in and we will get to work! The wealth of skills, knowledge and experience you will gain during your international internship will dramatically increase your career prospects and future global employability.

• We guarantee placements in your professional sector of choice in one of our 600 host-companies throughout China
  • Accommodation provided - Clean, accessible accommodations - our hotel-style apartments can be shared with one or two roommates (of the same gender). This is a great way to meet new people sharing the same experience!
  • Includes pre-departure services, social, business and networking events as well as a leaving ceremony
  • Includes visa-processing
  • Over 7300 satisfied global alumni

Anya

Internship in Shanghai

My experience in Shanghai with CRCC Asia is one I am very grateful for. The opportunity to live and work in a culture so vastly different than my own is one that very few people get to experience. While the hustle and bustle of Shanghai is not something I was used to, I ended up loving the fast paced culture I was immersed in. Not only have I boosted my workplace skills and employability but also my life experience. The memories made are some that will last a lifetime as they were once in a lifetime.

n/a
Andy

Marketing Intern in Shanghai

Being immersed in a completely new environment provided me with a sense of discomfort which allowed me to develop my personal character as well as change my approach to problem solving and question answering. This new environment allowed me to focus on my weaker points and helped me to put forward any ideas, and observations that I thought would be of relevance. I believe it is true that at times of discomfort people grow into a stronger person once they manage to overcome whatever obstacle may be present. In China, there were many boundaries and times where I felt discomfort yet I never lost hope or gave up. Learning new skills and techniques in China has shown me different ways to approach my personal education while I finish my studies at the University of Canterbury. The Chinese are firm believers of balance, my manager taught me that it isn’t about studying yourself into the ground on one day and relaxing for another, instead it is important to split your study and relaxation time in half. For example, for every hour spent studying, spend 30 minutes to an hour relaxing afterwards as a reward. This helps keep motivation levels high and avoids the crash of spending long hours studying non-stop.

Cannot be improved 10/10
David

“China made me more motivated to go out and make things happen for myself”

I chose CRCC Asia due to the range and quality of companies CRCC could provide. I definitely feel I was placed within a relevant company. Additionally, the other activities CRCC organised and offered whilst out in Beijing sounded really good and would give me the best chance to meet lots of people and take part in amazing experiences. Some of the events I took part in were: an acrobat show, Mandarin lessons, a Man City v Arsenal match at the Birds' Nest Stadium and numerous nights out to local bars and restaurants. The pre-departure drinks evening in London was also great for meeting fellow interns before heading out to China a few weeks later.

Whilst interviewing for my first job (as a Project Manager in a bank) as well as a few others at the time, talking about my internship was amazing. It made me stand out to employers and in a few interviews it ended up with them asking me all about my time in Beijing more than anything else! During interviews I found myself having a lot more interesting situations to call upon and refer to, as well as finding that the interviewers seemed a lot more interested in my answers to their questions. Since becoming a teacher, I really feel the confidence and life experience I gained in China has really helped me become successful in my job and be able to tackle any problem in front of me (since after being lost in a massive city where no one understands me any problem doesn't seem so daunting!!).
Professionally, my confidence in dealing with the unknown and being able to improvise in any situation was improved. I also gained my first experience working with international clients and having to adapt quickly to different working styles and cultures.

Personally, my confidence was given a huge boost by this adventure. After returning home I was immediately more motivated to go out and make things happen for myself, not as afraid to put myself out there and take (calculated) risks.

This trip has also gave me the travel bug, since 2012 I have travelled to more than 20 countries and have no intention to stop anytime soon! Prior to this trip I'd never left Europe, yet here I was preparing to work in one of the most contrasting countries to my own. I also began learning Mandarin prior to my internship Mandarin (which I am continuing to this day) and being able to experience and use the language first hand was excellent for my progress.

It's really hard to pick a favourite moment from my trip! I was mesmerised by the vastly different culture and spent a lot of time interacting with my work colleagues and locals in order to immerse myself in their way of living. Beijing is a fantastic city for seeing ancient history (Forbidden City etc) as well as sparkling new architecture (CCTV Tower etc) and I loved being able to experience both, sometimes within metres of each other!

My advice to future interns would be to make the most of every opportunity. You never know how contacts made in a random meeting in the middle of a massive city like Beijing could have a positive effect on your future. Also, enjoy the best of both worlds during your internship; take on everything possible during your working day, challenge yourself and test how far out of your comfort zone you can go. On the other hand, after work, enjoy everything amazing places like China has to offer. Try the strange food, talk to the locals in an unfamiliar language and visit the fascinating landmarks around you. Even to this day I am still not over how amazing my time was in Beijing and my friends and family will tell you, I'm still not finished talking about it quite yet!!

female headshot
Charlotte

Shanghai changed my life

I interned with CRCC Asia in Shanghai over the summer of 2014. Three years later and I am still seeing the benefits of my experience!
I had always wanted to go to China - plenty of my friends had travelled South East Asia but few had been to China so it seemed like a great place to go to get something different for my CV. Shanghai in particular is such a vibrant city. There's always so much going on so you're never stuck with nothing to do! My highlights included lazy afternoons in the markets and the parks, and further afield I will never forget camping on the Great Wall!
I chose CRCC Asia primarily because I valued their professional approach to the internship. I wanted professional experience as opposed to simply travelling. I also got a lot from the business seminars and mandarin lessons that CRCC Asia provided - it was great to have something extra to talk about in interview that showed that I hadn't just partied whilst in China!
When I arrived in China I made friends for life, and three years later am still regularly in contact with many of my Shanghai friends. All CRCC Asia interns are serious about their futures and passionate about their careers. We all quickly found common ground and made not just friends for life but also a professional network that we often rely on on the year's since Shanghai. It's also great to be in contact with other CRCC alumni at the events that CRCC Asia put on throughout the year. Our China internships are the common ground and it's fantastic to be part of a network of such successful and driven people.
I interned with Riviera Events. I loved my internship, getting experience and responsibility that I couldn't have imagined receiving in the UK. The most important transferable skills in my career since China have been: problem-solving, adaptability and confidence - China really threw me in at the deep end, I learnt to think on my feet and adapt to a new way of working but more importantly be confident in putting my ideas forward. It's great to be able to have examples from China to evidence these skills to future employers. Since returning from China I got a job within a month of being home. My employer was really interested in my experience in China - in the company, it was a country that few people had been to and less had worked in. The team valued my different experience and knowledge.
My advice to anyone thinking of interning in China is that it is a fantastic investment in your future. It shows you take yourself and your career seriously and are able to take on challenges that not every graduate has the courage to do. You learn so much about yourself, the World and your area of employment. And you genuinely make friends for life!

The programme was great! We were well supported by the CRCC team in Shanghai and in the UK pre-departure. The internship provided was fantastic! Thank you!
Jason

Once in a lifetime experience- work and travel!

Having spent two years as an investment banking analyst in London- I had come to the conclusion a career in finance wasn't for me, so I decided to look at all possible options of a 'career reset'. Upon doing some research I came across CRCC Asia and the opportunities they offered for guaranteed internships.

I felt this was the perfect fact to try a marketing role- despite having no previous understanding or experience in the industry- and also to add an international dimension to my CV. During my initial advising telephone conversation, I outlined a long-standing interest in the airline industry and the advisor mentioned they had just secured a partnership with airline host company and that I could be put forward for a possible internship in their marketing department.

The entire process was professionally handled, and whilst I was made aware they were no guarantees with that specific company- it was great to know that CRCC Asia would ensure I was placed in one of my sectors of choice. It completely eradicates the most stressful aspect of job-hunting- the process of finding and applying for jobs!

About 4 weeks before going to China, I was informed I had successfully been placed at the aforementioned airline- and it happened to be Virgin Atlantic! I was extremely impressed by the strong placement and the fact it was also within the marketing team (as per my first choice).

When I arrived in Shanghai- it was for the Feb 2013 intake- so there were fewer participants than the summer- but if anything this made the experience even more rewarding as all of us got to know each other a lot more and became a very close knit group. In total there were about 15 participants - mainly from the UK, Australia, and the US.

Socially, the experience was unbelievable. Outside of work, the group went out at the weekends, explored the city, took day-trips to Hangzhou and Suzhou, and generally become inseparable. Everyone has their own personality, but the best thing is that everyone is like-minded. We had all given up jobs/studies in our home country to come half way around the world to explore a new and different culture! And fundamentally this made it such a joy to spend two months with people who to this day (4 years on) I still consider many of them my close friends (our 'China crew' still has it's dedicated WhatsApp group- and we still meet up regularly to remember the experience - and the oh so many stories!)

On a professional basis, the experience was equally rewarding for me as I was given an insight into the variety of projects and campaigns the Virgin team were involved in. During my 2 months, I was involved in several Virgin- sponsored events including the Shanghai F1 Grand Prix, Shanghai Fashion Show, and James Bond Skyfall Exhibition (where I got to meet the Bond producers!). From the event-management side, I was also given the project of organising a dedicated Scottish-themed event for 50 of Virgin's agency clients to launch its new routes to Aberdeen/Glasgow- the autonomy of this project had me sourcing suppliers, venue, arranging the actual on-the-day logistics, and working the London marketing team to ensure relevant PR. Alongside this, I was exposed to day-to-day implementation tasks for Virgin's high profile 'Flying in the Face of The Ordinary' campaign- whereby I learnt how digital and physical marketing channels were tailored to a Chinese audience. In addition my time at Virgin coincided with the airlines 'April Fool's' PR prank- whereby the airline claimed to have developed a 'glass bottom' plane- and my manager was responsible for launching the PR aspect of this in China which got picked up by CCTV and reported as a genuine news story - thus generating worldwide attention! Overall the work experience was invaluable in terms of its insight and the fact I got a glimpse of the various marketing strands of a major organisation.

Throughout the program, CRCC Asia also organised various events for us - notably a KTV and dumpling-making session, which to this day my friends and I still talk about! Whilst I needed to rely on the CRCC Asia team for support- I always felt they were there and available if I ever required them. The communication on the ground between the team and the participants was clear but not overbearing- which meant participants still had a sense of independence without feeling patronised.

Overall, I cannot speak highly enough about the experience. For some, the biggest issue will be the funding concerns- which is totally understandable, but if you can secure the funds it's such a great experience - socially and professionally- it's something you will never regret.

Just eating bugs, nothing unusual...
Stephanie

Amazing Resume Builder and GREAT EXPERIENCE!

I went to Shenzhen through CRCC Asia my sophomore summer of college with the intention to gain business experience as well as practice Chinese. My expectations coming in were completely surpassed from the internship, the great apartment, new experiences, and amazing people I met.

I signed up for the 2 week business course and I highly recommend taking advantage of that opportunity. I was able to get close with the 12 other students in the business class and learn about different types of professions and businesses in China. We had 2 speakers a day that ranged from learning how Uber sets up new locations to creating a startup and working with Chinese suppliers as a foreigner.

The course offered great networking opportunities, which is how I got my internship at Omate, a startup that makes smart watches. I was able to grow professionally as well as make an impact on the company themselves. My days were filled with practicing Chinese, coming up with marketing ideas, creating a website, and modeling the smart watch. This experience made great conversations and gave me an edge when interviewing for competitive internships my Junior summer.

On top of the professional experience I gained, I really enjoyed all the activities CRCC provided outside of the office such as dinners, Chinese classes, art classes and karaoke! I also loved the independence you are given, you truly feel like an adult living and working in China. I highly recommend this program!

No complaints!
Madeline

Shanghai Communications Internship: Amazing Experience!

I interned abroad in Shanghai in the summer of 2015. Shanghai is an incredible city to live in, and I consider myself extremely lucky that I was able to experience it. I have CRCC Asia to thank in part for my experience.
Because I am a Communications major, CRCC Asia doesn't have an internship program specifically catered to my major. I was nervous beforehand that they wouldn't be able to find an internship that matched what I was studying. However, the company I ended up interning with was perfect. The company I interned with is called Shanghai Premium, and is a talent agency that is in charge of commercial directors, producers, animators, etc. Through them, I improved my research skills, my journalism/writing skills, and even learned Photoshop for free! All of these skills I used later in life, and were very helpful to me in the job-search process.
The people in CRCC also helped me throughout my program. They were available via phone and email whenever I had questions or concerns. Once when I was really sick, a member of CRCC helped me find a taxi back to my accommodations, and bought me medicine to make me feel better. I really felt that the company looked out for me.
Long story short, I fully recommend this program.

This program doesn't really need any improvement, except for potentially adding some more volunteer opportunities, for those interested in volunteering while abroad.
Wendy

Shanghai Internship

I participated in the Spring 2016 internship in Shanghai , China. As a nursing major I was placed in at a local hospital. This experience allowed me to experience healthcare in China and will allow me to be a more culturally aware nurse. The staff at my internship were really nice and really took me under their wing. CRCC staff took us to our first day of our internship and I thought that was really helpful. I would recommend interning in China with CRCC Asia.

I would have liked to stay in touch with CRCC staff more throughout the internship.
Catherine

Huangshan Disaster

My friends and I decided we wanted to travel to one of the most complicated cities in China to reach. We took over 10 modes of transportation to reach our end destination. The longest mode being a 10 hour overnight train, not in sleeper cars. I have never become so close with a group of people as fast as I did on this adventure. I will never forget the people who stared at me on the train, that yelled at me in chinese, and the few people who spoke English that saved our souls.

Do face to face interviews with candidates before they are accepted into the program. My roommate was the complete opposite of me and could have probably been medically diagnosed with severe paranoia.

Other than that I loved the program!!!
Thomas

Great experience personally and professionally

Fantastic all round experience (work experience, accommodation, CRCC support, social life, alumni network - 9.5/10)!

Shanghai provided me with invaluable investment banking work experience; I gained finance/analytical skills, and a network of friends and colleagues that gave a major boost to my career.

Outside of work, there was lots of fun to be had while partying hard and making the most of the Shanghai nightlife, all while sharing great times with a diverse group of international friends.

Great experience, great people, great fun...go for it!

More professional networking events.
Social events were great, but possibly greater planning and variety of events would have been good.
Elloise

Shenanigans in Shanghai

Although there were some things about the program that weren't ideal (I personally was lucky but a lot of my friends didn't have very good internships) the overall experience was amazing.

From eating weird and wonderful foods (chicken feet, brain, bull frogs to name a few), to exploring the crazy city that is Shanghai, it was a fantastic trip. Every day threw something new at you- I even ended up in the Shanghai Psychiatric Hospital helping as an interpreter for a patient.

A bit of a culture shock, Shanghai isn't for you if you don't like crowds, but if you can cope with a population of 20,000+ on your doorstep then go for it. You'll never be bored.

Choice of internships.
Ellie

An amazing, unforgettable worthwhile experience

I thoroughly enjoyed my two month internship program. I felt I learnt so much about myself, my career choice as well as culturally. I cannot express the fantastic life experience you gain and the friendships you form with a variety of people from all over the world. It has definitely helped me in my job interviews upon my return to London to work in luxury fashion. It gives your CV a competitive edge and is a great starting point to use in interviews. If the opportunity arises to participate in this, I would highly recommend it. If I could do this all over again, I would do so within a heartbeat!

I feel more language lessons could be provided for those just doing the internship programme.
William

Good opportunity to explore China--why do you want to go?

I participated in a 2 month internship + 21 day trip (with The Dragon Trip), and overall enjoyed my experience. The program, like most things, is really about what you make of it. I wanted a summer abroad (I had good internship experience previously, so I wasn't as concerned with placements), and China was on my list. Shanghai is a vast and rapidly-developing city, and you could spend all of your time just picking one metro stop at a time and exploring.

The internship placement was pretty good, but depends on staff and fellow interns (I began with a good cohort, and towards the end of my internship many positions rotated, so it was less enjoyable/interesting). Accommodation, at least for China, is very adequate. The hotel is close to the Metro, and is very spacious. You're in the city center, so it's quite convenient to get to most places (via the clean Metro or cheap taxis--beware of "black taxis" and other scams, however). CRCC Asia puts on a short orientation with incoming interns, and the staff is a mixture of foreign/local young people. Most were very responsive/friendly, and called me a few times during the program. That said, I never encountered any major problems, so I cannot speak to their response in a crisis situation.

During my two months in Shanghai, I picked up a bit of Chinese, but it's very possible to get by with basic to no Chinese language ability. However, I speak Japanese, so I was able to read and remember the Chinese characters on signs and instructions more easily than someone not familiar with Chinese/Japanese. Being that Shanghai looks toward Westernization, however, the food, shopping, and retail workers are likely to cater to foreigners. In this way, Shanghai may be an easier place to adapt to than Beijing. Air pollution was fair to slightly poor--no one wore masks but I did catch a cold/respiratory cough from it. Food is generally safe, unless you go after street food (which is dicey any place).

Safety was comparable to any major city (perhaps better?). Still, there doesn't seem to be an active homeless population, and I (as a white male) never felt threatened, but was treated as a minor celebrity/spectacle (which is harmless but annoying). The people I knew traveled in groups/alone, and never had any problems/harassment.

My 21 day The Dragon Trip was, overall, very interesting, and opened China to me in a previously-locked way. However, it was very physically demanding (hiking, miles of biking, extended train rides/overnight "sleeper" trains), and our particular small group got passed between two larger groups, which meant we had to forge new relationships every couple of days, which killed some of the potential camaraderie. However, the price was competitive for the accommodation/transport/admissions, and the floating mountains in the south, the city of Xi'an (and its terra cotta warriors), and other iconic locations were breathtaking and worth it.

My advice for the program is to temper and pinpoint your expectations. If you're goal is to get advanced experience in a very specific field, that cannot be guaranteed and you may be disappointed. However, if you're using the opportunity to travel and stay for an extended period in China, meet new people, or practice your Mandarin, the program gives you a fairly simple way (and a VISA, which can be difficult to obtain) to accomplish this. The trip is a "best of," and gives a good overview of the country, but it's certainly not exhaustive (and pretty no-frills). Either way, being an experienced traveler in non-Western countries gave me an advantage coping to the usual and un-usual cultural/political/logistical differences of life in China. However, Shanghai is a good access point for Westerners to China.

Lauren

Texas girl goes to China!

As I was on my way to China, I was very nervous to begin this first trip half way across the world. However, once I got to Shanghai I felt a sense of relief in that I had two months to work at a Chinese firm, attend a university and learn about a new culture. It was like starting all over and getting another chance in the world. My most fond experience while in China, as cliche as it sounds is visiting The Great Wall of China. I remember my mom telling me, "let me see the world through your eyes, because I never got to experience what you're experiencing." In that moment of climbing The Great Wall it was the most physical and exhausting thing I had ever done, but I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that not very many people are fortunate enough to experience. Once I was at the top of the wall it was such an incredible feeling and I had such a huge sense of accomplishment. That day was one that I will never forget, and I am so fortunate to have been there. My overall experience in China was the most amazing thing - the people, the food, the culture, the adventure. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

If I had to change one thing it would be to have more social events between CRCC and the students who are studying abroad. I feel like I did not get the opportunity to meet any other students from other states, other than the ones that attend my school and went on study abroad with me. Other than that, everything was great!
Erik

Shanghai

My experience overall was excellent. I do wish that my internship was a bit more involving and that I could of done a few different things which unfortunately wasn't the case. The experience of travelling, meeting new people, seeing sights and enjoying the social side of Shanghai really made the trip so enjoyable.

It would be nice to provide interns with a choice of internships to pick from then they would not end up with a bad experience.

About CRCC Asia

CRCC Asia’s award-winning Internship Program has provided over 7,000 students and graduates, like you, the opportunity to boost their employment prospects through work experience placements across 14 sectors.

We are the leading provider of...