Internship Program in Shanghai

Internship Program in Shanghai

New programs, new cities!
Now announcing program locations in Tokyo, Japan and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam!

From the Bund and French Concession, to Old Town and Jing'an, Shanghai is a city full of culture where old traditions combine with new landscape.

Shanghai is China's business hub with multiple global companies conducting business here. In a city where East meets West, Shanghai is an intern's dream!

This internship program will give you the opportunity to get real hands-on experience in the internship sector of your choice. We also arrange networking events, group activities and much more for you to get acclimated with the city!

You can choose from 1, 2 or 3 month internship durations. We are connected with over 500 host companies, so we can guarantee that we will find you an internship in your professional sector with a company that is the right fit for you!

This is a once in a lifetime experience to meet other students and individuals from around the world, while creating and establishing professional relationships.

• We work with over 500 host companies in China and place interns in 14 sectors - we guarantee placements in your professional sector of choice
  • Continuous, 24/7 on-the-ground support from our local CRCC Asia office, located in Shanghai
  • Clean, accessible accommodations - our hotel-style apartments can be shared with one or two roommates (of the same gender). This is a great way to meet new people sharing the same experience!
  • Experience Chinese culture first-hand! Our local office arranges weekly cultural activities or explore the by yourself (or with your new friends!)
  • Alumni network over of 6,000 strong! Maintain strong connections with our global alumni network.
Asia » China » Shanghai
SIM cards
Visa
Wifi
Qualifications
Enrollment in a degree program (Associates, Bachelors or Masters)
GPA: 2.7 minimum
Program includes:
24/7 Support
Airport Pick-Up
English-speaking Supervisor
Guaranteed internship in a sector of your choice
Induction Day & Cultural Training
Welcome Package & Banquet

David
Scotland
University of Strathclyde

“China made me more motivated to go out and make things happen for myself”

I chose CRCC Asia due to the range and quality of companies CRCC could provide. I definitely feel I was placed within a relevant company. Additionally, the other activities CRCC organised and offered whilst out in Beijing sounded really good and would give me the best chance to meet lots of people and take part in amazing experiences. Some of the events I took part in were: an acrobat show, Mandarin lessons, a Man City v Arsenal match at the Birds' Nest Stadium and numerous nights out to local bars and restaurants. The pre-departure drinks evening in London was also great for meeting fellow interns before heading out to China a few weeks later.

Whilst interviewing for my first job (as a Project Manager in a bank) as well as a few others at the time, talking about my internship was amazing. It made me stand out to employers and in a few interviews it ended up with them asking me all about my time in Beijing more than anything else! During interviews I found myself having a lot more interesting situations to call upon and refer to, as well as finding that the interviewers seemed a lot more interested in my answers to their questions. Since becoming a teacher, I really feel the confidence and life experience I gained in China has really helped me become successful in my job and be able to tackle any problem in front of me (since after being lost in a massive city where no one understands me any problem doesn't seem so daunting!!).
Professionally, my confidence in dealing with the unknown and being able to improvise in any situation was improved. I also gained my first experience working with international clients and having to adapt quickly to different working styles and cultures.

Personally, my confidence was given a huge boost by this adventure. After returning home I was immediately more motivated to go out and make things happen for myself, not as afraid to put myself out there and take (calculated) risks.

This trip has also gave me the travel bug, since 2012 I have travelled to more than 20 countries and have no intention to stop anytime soon! Prior to this trip I'd never left Europe, yet here I was preparing to work in one of the most contrasting countries to my own. I also began learning Mandarin prior to my internship Mandarin (which I am continuing to this day) and being able to experience and use the language first hand was excellent for my progress.

It's really hard to pick a favourite moment from my trip! I was mesmerised by the vastly different culture and spent a lot of time interacting with my work colleagues and locals in order to immerse myself in their way of living. Beijing is a fantastic city for seeing ancient history (Forbidden City etc) as well as sparkling new architecture (CCTV Tower etc) and I loved being able to experience both, sometimes within metres of each other!

My advice to future interns would be to make the most of every opportunity. You never know how contacts made in a random meeting in the middle of a massive city like Beijing could have a positive effect on your future. Also, enjoy the best of both worlds during your internship; take on everything possible during your working day, challenge yourself and test how far out of your comfort zone you can go. On the other hand, after work, enjoy everything amazing places like China has to offer. Try the strange food, talk to the locals in an unfamiliar language and visit the fascinating landmarks around you. Even to this day I am still not over how amazing my time was in Beijing and my friends and family will tell you, I'm still not finished talking about it quite yet!!

female headshot
Charlotte

Shanghai changed my life

I interned with CRCC Asia in Shanghai over the summer of 2014. Three years later and I am still seeing the benefits of my experience!
I had always wanted to go to China - plenty of my friends had travelled South East Asia but few had been to China so it seemed like a great place to go to get something different for my CV. Shanghai in particular is such a vibrant city. There's always so much going on so you're never stuck with nothing to do! My highlights included lazy afternoons in the markets and the parks, and further afield I will never forget camping on the Great Wall!
I chose CRCC Asia primarily because I valued their professional approach to the internship. I wanted professional experience as opposed to simply travelling. I also got a lot from the business seminars and mandarin lessons that CRCC Asia provided - it was great to have something extra to talk about in interview that showed that I hadn't just partied whilst in China!
When I arrived in China I made friends for life, and three years later am still regularly in contact with many of my Shanghai friends. All CRCC Asia interns are serious about their futures and passionate about their careers. We all quickly found common ground and made not just friends for life but also a professional network that we often rely on on the year's since Shanghai. It's also great to be in contact with other CRCC alumni at the events that CRCC Asia put on throughout the year. Our China internships are the common ground and it's fantastic to be part of a network of such successful and driven people.
I interned with Riviera Events. I loved my internship, getting experience and responsibility that I couldn't have imagined receiving in the UK. The most important transferable skills in my career since China have been: problem-solving, adaptability and confidence - China really threw me in at the deep end, I learnt to think on my feet and adapt to a new way of working but more importantly be confident in putting my ideas forward. It's great to be able to have examples from China to evidence these skills to future employers. Since returning from China I got a job within a month of being home. My employer was really interested in my experience in China - in the company, it was a country that few people had been to and less had worked in. The team valued my different experience and knowledge.
My advice to anyone thinking of interning in China is that it is a fantastic investment in your future. It shows you take yourself and your career seriously and are able to take on challenges that not every graduate has the courage to do. You learn so much about yourself, the World and your area of employment. And you genuinely make friends for life!

The programme was great! We were well supported by the CRCC team in Shanghai and in the UK pre-departure. The internship provided was fantastic! Thank you!

Jason

Once in a lifetime experience- work and travel!

Having spent two years as an investment banking analyst in London- I had come to the conclusion a career in finance wasn't for me, so I decided to look at all possible options of a 'career reset'. Upon doing some research I came across CRCC Asia and the opportunities they offered for guaranteed internships.

I felt this was the perfect fact to try a marketing role- despite having no previous understanding or experience in the industry- and also to add an international dimension to my CV. During my initial advising telephone conversation, I outlined a long-standing interest in the airline industry and the advisor mentioned they had just secured a partnership with airline host company and that I could be put forward for a possible internship in their marketing department.

The entire process was professionally handled, and whilst I was made aware they were no guarantees with that specific company- it was great to know that CRCC Asia would ensure I was placed in one of my sectors of choice. It completely eradicates the most stressful aspect of job-hunting- the process of finding and applying for jobs!

About 4 weeks before going to China, I was informed I had successfully been placed at the aforementioned airline- and it happened to be Virgin Atlantic! I was extremely impressed by the strong placement and the fact it was also within the marketing team (as per my first choice).

When I arrived in Shanghai- it was for the Feb 2013 intake- so there were fewer participants than the summer- but if anything this made the experience even more rewarding as all of us got to know each other a lot more and became a very close knit group. In total there were about 15 participants - mainly from the UK, Australia, and the US.

Socially, the experience was unbelievable. Outside of work, the group went out at the weekends, explored the city, took day-trips to Hangzhou and Suzhou, and generally become inseparable. Everyone has their own personality, but the best thing is that everyone is like-minded. We had all given up jobs/studies in our home country to come half way around the world to explore a new and different culture! And fundamentally this made it such a joy to spend two months with people who to this day (4 years on) I still consider many of them my close friends (our 'China crew' still has it's dedicated WhatsApp group- and we still meet up regularly to remember the experience - and the oh so many stories!)

On a professional basis, the experience was equally rewarding for me as I was given an insight into the variety of projects and campaigns the Virgin team were involved in. During my 2 months, I was involved in several Virgin- sponsored events including the Shanghai F1 Grand Prix, Shanghai Fashion Show, and James Bond Skyfall Exhibition (where I got to meet the Bond producers!). From the event-management side, I was also given the project of organising a dedicated Scottish-themed event for 50 of Virgin's agency clients to launch its new routes to Aberdeen/Glasgow- the autonomy of this project had me sourcing suppliers, venue, arranging the actual on-the-day logistics, and working the London marketing team to ensure relevant PR. Alongside this, I was exposed to day-to-day implementation tasks for Virgin's high profile 'Flying in the Face of The Ordinary' campaign- whereby I learnt how digital and physical marketing channels were tailored to a Chinese audience. In addition my time at Virgin coincided with the airlines 'April Fool's' PR prank- whereby the airline claimed to have developed a 'glass bottom' plane- and my manager was responsible for launching the PR aspect of this in China which got picked up by CCTV and reported as a genuine news story - thus generating worldwide attention! Overall the work experience was invaluable in terms of its insight and the fact I got a glimpse of the various marketing strands of a major organisation.

Throughout the program, CRCC Asia also organised various events for us - notably a KTV and dumpling-making session, which to this day my friends and I still talk about! Whilst I needed to rely on the CRCC Asia team for support- I always felt they were there and available if I ever required them. The communication on the ground between the team and the participants was clear but not overbearing- which meant participants still had a sense of independence without feeling patronised.

Overall, I cannot speak highly enough about the experience. For some, the biggest issue will be the funding concerns- which is totally understandable, but if you can secure the funds it's such a great experience - socially and professionally- it's something you will never regret.

Just eating bugs, nothing unusual...
Stephanie
San Francisco
University of California- Davis

Amazing Resume Builder and GREAT EXPERIENCE!

I went to Shenzhen through CRCC Asia my sophomore summer of college with the intention to gain business experience as well as practice Chinese. My expectations coming in were completely surpassed from the internship, the great apartment, new experiences, and amazing people I met.

I signed up for the 2 week business course and I highly recommend taking advantage of that opportunity. I was able to get close with the 12 other students in the business class and learn about different types of professions and businesses in China. We had 2 speakers a day that ranged from learning how Uber sets up new locations to creating a startup and working with Chinese suppliers as a foreigner.

The course offered great networking opportunities, which is how I got my internship at Omate, a startup that makes smart watches. I was able to grow professionally as well as make an impact on the company themselves. My days were filled with practicing Chinese, coming up with marketing ideas, creating a website, and modeling the smart watch. This experience made great conversations and gave me an edge when interviewing for competitive internships my Junior summer.

On top of the professional experience I gained, I really enjoyed all the activities CRCC provided outside of the office such as dinners, Chinese classes, art classes and karaoke! I also loved the independence you are given, you truly feel like an adult living and working in China. I highly recommend this program!

No complaints!

Madeline
Wayne, PA
Villanova University

Shanghai Communications Internship: Amazing Experience!

I interned abroad in Shanghai in the summer of 2015. Shanghai is an incredible city to live in, and I consider myself extremely lucky that I was able to experience it. I have CRCC Asia to thank in part for my experience.
Because I am a Communications major, CRCC Asia doesn't have an internship program specifically catered to my major. I was nervous beforehand that they wouldn't be able to find an internship that matched what I was studying. However, the company I ended up interning with was perfect. The company I interned with is called Shanghai Premium, and is a talent agency that is in charge of commercial directors, producers, animators, etc. Through them, I improved my research skills, my journalism/writing skills, and even learned Photoshop for free! All of these skills I used later in life, and were very helpful to me in the job-search process.
The people in CRCC also helped me throughout my program. They were available via phone and email whenever I had questions or concerns. Once when I was really sick, a member of CRCC helped me find a taxi back to my accommodations, and bought me medicine to make me feel better. I really felt that the company looked out for me.
Long story short, I fully recommend this program.

This program doesn't really need any improvement, except for potentially adding some more volunteer opportunities, for those interested in volunteering while abroad.

Wendy
rotterdam, netherlands

Shanghai Internship

I participated in the Spring 2016 internship in Shanghai , China. As a nursing major I was placed in at a local hospital. This experience allowed me to experience healthcare in China and will allow me to be a more culturally aware nurse. The staff at my internship were really nice and really took me under their wing. CRCC staff took us to our first day of our internship and I thought that was really helpful. I would recommend interning in China with CRCC Asia.

I would have liked to stay in touch with CRCC staff more throughout the internship.

Catherine
Austin, TX
University of Texas- Austin

Huangshan Disaster

My friends and I decided we wanted to travel to one of the most complicated cities in China to reach. We took over 10 modes of transportation to reach our end destination. The longest mode being a 10 hour overnight train, not in sleeper cars. I have never become so close with a group of people as fast as I did on this adventure. I will never forget the people who stared at me on the train, that yelled at me in chinese, and the few people who spoke English that saved our souls.

Do face to face interviews with candidates before they are accepted into the program. My roommate was the complete opposite of me and could have probably been medically diagnosed with severe paranoia.

Other than that I loved the program!!!

Thomas
Dunedin, New Zealand
Heriot-Watt University

Great experience personally and professionally

Fantastic all round experience (work experience, accommodation, CRCC support, social life, alumni network - 9.5/10)!

Shanghai provided me with invaluable investment banking work experience; I gained finance/analytical skills, and a network of friends and colleagues that gave a major boost to my career.

Outside of work, there was lots of fun to be had while partying hard and making the most of the Shanghai nightlife, all while sharing great times with a diverse group of international friends.

Great experience, great people, great fun...go for it!

More professional networking events.
Social events were great, but possibly greater planning and variety of events would have been good.

Elloise
Cambridge, UK
University of Cambridge

Shenanigans in Shanghai

Although there were some things about the program that weren't ideal (I personally was lucky but a lot of my friends didn't have very good internships) the overall experience was amazing.

From eating weird and wonderful foods (chicken feet, brain, bull frogs to name a few), to exploring the crazy city that is Shanghai, it was a fantastic trip. Every day threw something new at you- I even ended up in the Shanghai Psychiatric Hospital helping as an interpreter for a patient.

A bit of a culture shock, Shanghai isn't for you if you don't like crowds, but if you can cope with a population of 20,000+ on your doorstep then go for it. You'll never be bored.

Choice of internships.

Ellie
London

An amazing, unforgettable worthwhile experience

I thoroughly enjoyed my two month internship program. I felt I learnt so much about myself, my career choice as well as culturally. I cannot express the fantastic life experience you gain and the friendships you form with a variety of people from all over the world. It has definitely helped me in my job interviews upon my return to London to work in luxury fashion. It gives your CV a competitive edge and is a great starting point to use in interviews. If the opportunity arises to participate in this, I would highly recommend it. If I could do this all over again, I would do so within a heartbeat!

I feel more language lessons could be provided for those just doing the internship programme.

William
New Jersey
The College of New Jersey

Good opportunity to explore China--why do you want to go?

I participated in a 2 month internship + 21 day trip (with The Dragon Trip), and overall enjoyed my experience. The program, like most things, is really about what you make of it. I wanted a summer abroad (I had good internship experience previously, so I wasn't as concerned with placements), and China was on my list. Shanghai is a vast and rapidly-developing city, and you could spend all of your time just picking one metro stop at a time and exploring.

The internship placement was pretty good, but depends on staff and fellow interns (I began with a good cohort, and towards the end of my internship many positions rotated, so it was less enjoyable/interesting). Accommodation, at least for China, is very adequate. The hotel is close to the Metro, and is very spacious. You're in the city center, so it's quite convenient to get to most places (via the clean Metro or cheap taxis--beware of "black taxis" and other scams, however). CRCC Asia puts on a short orientation with incoming interns, and the staff is a mixture of foreign/local young people. Most were very responsive/friendly, and called me a few times during the program. That said, I never encountered any major problems, so I cannot speak to their response in a crisis situation.

During my two months in Shanghai, I picked up a bit of Chinese, but it's very possible to get by with basic to no Chinese language ability. However, I speak Japanese, so I was able to read and remember the Chinese characters on signs and instructions more easily than someone not familiar with Chinese/Japanese. Being that Shanghai looks toward Westernization, however, the food, shopping, and retail workers are likely to cater to foreigners. In this way, Shanghai may be an easier place to adapt to than Beijing. Air pollution was fair to slightly poor--no one wore masks but I did catch a cold/respiratory cough from it. Food is generally safe, unless you go after street food (which is dicey any place).

Safety was comparable to any major city (perhaps better?). Still, there doesn't seem to be an active homeless population, and I (as a white male) never felt threatened, but was treated as a minor celebrity/spectacle (which is harmless but annoying). The people I knew traveled in groups/alone, and never had any problems/harassment.

My 21 day The Dragon Trip was, overall, very interesting, and opened China to me in a previously-locked way. However, it was very physically demanding (hiking, miles of biking, extended train rides/overnight "sleeper" trains), and our particular small group got passed between two larger groups, which meant we had to forge new relationships every couple of days, which killed some of the potential camaraderie. However, the price was competitive for the accommodation/transport/admissions, and the floating mountains in the south, the city of Xi'an (and its terra cotta warriors), and other iconic locations were breathtaking and worth it.

My advice for the program is to temper and pinpoint your expectations. If you're goal is to get advanced experience in a very specific field, that cannot be guaranteed and you may be disappointed. However, if you're using the opportunity to travel and stay for an extended period in China, meet new people, or practice your Mandarin, the program gives you a fairly simple way (and a VISA, which can be difficult to obtain) to accomplish this. The trip is a "best of," and gives a good overview of the country, but it's certainly not exhaustive (and pretty no-frills). Either way, being an experienced traveler in non-Western countries gave me an advantage coping to the usual and un-usual cultural/political/logistical differences of life in China. However, Shanghai is a good access point for Westerners to China.

Lauren
San Antonio, Texas
Trinity University

Texas girl goes to China!

As I was on my way to China, I was very nervous to begin this first trip half way across the world. However, once I got to Shanghai I felt a sense of relief in that I had two months to work at a Chinese firm, attend a university and learn about a new culture. It was like starting all over and getting another chance in the world. My most fond experience while in China, as cliche as it sounds is visiting The Great Wall of China. I remember my mom telling me, "let me see the world through your eyes, because I never got to experience what you're experiencing." In that moment of climbing The Great Wall it was the most physical and exhausting thing I had ever done, but I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that not very many people are fortunate enough to experience. Once I was at the top of the wall it was such an incredible feeling and I had such a huge sense of accomplishment. That day was one that I will never forget, and I am so fortunate to have been there. My overall experience in China was the most amazing thing - the people, the food, the culture, the adventure. I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

If I had to change one thing it would be to have more social events between CRCC and the students who are studying abroad. I feel like I did not get the opportunity to meet any other students from other states, other than the ones that attend my school and went on study abroad with me. Other than that, everything was great!

Erik
sydney, australia
University of Technology

Shanghai

My experience overall was excellent. I do wish that my internship was a bit more involving and that I could of done a few different things which unfortunately wasn't the case. The experience of travelling, meeting new people, seeing sights and enjoying the social side of Shanghai really made the trip so enjoyable.

It would be nice to provide interns with a choice of internships to pick from then they would not end up with a bad experience.

Laura
Italy

My experience with CRCC Asia

I spent in Shanghai two months and I met people from all over the world, especially from Australia. I had the chance to go around the city with an amazing group of people, and I had the opportunity to improve my English with them.

The communication between the work place and the CRCC Asia Staff needs to get better, in order to offer a better sevice. The company needs to be prepared to welcome new interns and give them the chance to learn.

Response from CRCC Asia

Hi Laura,

Thank you for reviewing our Shanghai Internship Program! We are glad to see that you enjoyed your time in Shanghai and got to meet other interns from around the world. Most of all, we appreciate that you would recommend the program to others.

Comments from former interns like you help us to improve our program. We are constantly working with our host companies to help improve their internship programs. Through workshops and training, we try to prepare our companies to host Western interns like yourself. We will take your comments into consideration as we continue developing workshops for our host companies.

Please feel free to contact our CRCC Asia office at [email protected] or [email protected] if you have any other suggestions for improvement.

Monica
Ontario, Canada
University of Guelph

An experience I would never regret

This internship program was one of the best experiences of my life. I met so many different people from all parts of the world who I still keep in touch with. I was able to see so many different things an actually do a lot of activities that weren't even on my had to do list. So many opportunities presented themselves when I was there and I took advantage of every one. I was only there for 2 months and that was my only regret. I should have stayed longer. The program coordinators were always accessible every step of the way. Th culture is awesome. The hustle an bustle made my days go by fast. The food was great and I had no complaints. In Shanghai, English speakers weren't too hard to find an my basic Mandarin helped me more than I thought it would. I recommend CRCC fully!

The program was a bit costly compared to other programs out there. They also usually included the price of getting a visa in the program but apparently that is only offered to Americans so since I'm Canadian, I was told that I had to pay for my visa which bothered me a bit because that information was provided to me a lot later after I had dished out a lot of money for the initial program already.

Diana
Gainesville, Florida
University of Florida

Wo shi Meiguo ren!

That's Chinese for "I am from the United States." It's three months since I've returned home from what what was one of the best experiences of my life (no exaggeration). Let me give you a glimpse into the two months I spent in Shanghai. Imagine yourself riding in the passenger seat of taxi, in what should really be NASCAR considering how fast these people go...windows down, gold embellished temples just barely noticeable among the glass, steel, colorful skyscrapers that surround the city. You can actually smell/see the assortment of dumplings made by street vendors. My first impression...This is a Chinese New York, but bigger, much bigger. The nightlife is comparable to that of Miami; as a miami native that is a bold but true statement. Oh and the work you ask? Lucky for me I was placed in a Consulting Firm that challenged my thinking daily, with independent projects, group collaborations and close mentorship every day was an adventure (even getting there by Subway). The rumors are indeed true: there is no such thing as personal space. However, its a small price to pay seeing as you automatically become a local celebrity just for looking differently. If none of this tickle's your fancy, SOMETHING in Shanghai will. It's a city of bright lights, growing potential and exotic beauty. Give it a try, I'm so glad I did...

I think I would research the companies that are bering paired with students more thoroughly just so they are getting most out of the program. I was personally fine however I had friends who were not satisfied with their placement and were not given another option even after voicing their concerns.

Chris
Toronto, Canada
York University

A great social net in a new place

If it's your first time in China and you don't speak the language it can be very, very daunting. Staying in a hotel with a large group of other interns makes this much more manageable and fun.

The internship itself varies, though I think most people in my program would report having had a good experience. You probably won't be placed in a huge company but the experience in itself is what impresses your future employers.

The social aspects of the trip are definitely the highlight. I had the pleasure of meeting other likeminded interns from around the world and of course the nightlife in Shanghai is phenomenal.

While CRCC Asia is quite expensive, if it's your first time living in China it is definitely worth the extra money. The program staff were very helpful and the built-in social network is invaluable.

Anything more they could do to introduce to Chinese culture could be beneficial but obviously time is limited and maybe not all participants are equally interested.

Beatrice
Chicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago

Definitely a Good Investment

CRCC Asia is a great way to make your resume stand out. The program helped me get an awesome internship where I met a lot of great Chinese co-workers, developed my skills, and practiced my Chinese. CRCC Asia participants come from all over the world, which was also a plus for me. Depending on your internship, make sure it's right for you. Some of my friends didn't do much on the job, whereas I always had something to keep me occupied. The program was definitely worth the investment and I recommend it.

Respond to inquiries in a timely manner.

Thelma
Charlotte, North Carolina

Best Decision I Ever Made-Internship in Shanghai

I am so grateful to CRCC Asia for providing me with an opportunity to not only live in China, but also work and enhance my professional development. The decision to work in Shanghai, China the summer of 2013 was one of the best decision's I made in my life. I was hesitant to take advantage of the opportunity at first because of fear that I could not finance it and living all away across the world from my parents and support system. However, I quickly realized what an awesome opportunity it would be and beneficial experience I would gain to enhance my life long-term. My parents and I were able to make this happen and I realized when you release fear and step out on faith, your life will be enriched in so many ways. I worked for a large law firm that challenged me intellectually, and culturally. I worked on so many valued added projects in the areas of law that I loved (contracts, mergers and acquisitions, and employment law). My boss was superior and helped me get exposed to as much as possible within those few months. My language skills improved tremendously because my firm spoke only Chinese. As a result, I have had numerous job offers and interviews because the employers in the United States are so impressed with my experience in China. I would recommend the experience of living and working overseas to anyone. Finally, it helps when the country you live in is so beautiful. I think I saw all of China while living there and did lots of shopping relatively inexpensively. I hope you will seize the opportunity like I did to live in China.

Best,
Thelma Brooks

Hayley
Wollongong, Australia
University of Wollongong

Helping get you settled in Frantic Shanghai!

The people at CRCC were great! From the first meeting in Australia, to getting of the plane and being greeted by water and cookies, everyone went the extra mile to make us feel supported. Besides organising accommodation and visas, it's being paired up with a business that is really priceless! Organised activities and plenty of opportunities to meet other interns and network. Can't recommend CRCC enough!

Ava
Texas
Trinity University

Solid Program--some things need to be worked out

-loved being able to meet fellow international students but did that out of my own volition not due to program staff
-needed more networking advice for participation in international culture not just China
-more advice on getting acculturated to Shanghai
-Poor post-program support (they say they'll do resume reviews etc. but do not follow through)
-Poor post-program networking opportunities (LinkedIn group, Facebook group, etc.)

--Work on communication between residence and CRCC staff. Need a translator. How to get mail and other such things.

Andrew
DC
George Mason University

Best Trip

Working with the locals with a language barrier and adjusting to a different work ethics was the most challenging part of the whole trip. Highlights were def. the nightlife and meeting new people across the world. I wish I could say the highlight was my actual internship but I learn more interacting with the people who ended being my friends.

The work placement could have been alot better and I wish the company would be more prepared to receive interns.

Glenn
I'm not in Berkely, CA

Shanghai Internship, An experience I will never forget

I have visited China before as a tourist, and going over as an intern is very different , about the only similarities is the ability to see the sights, and experience the foods they have to offer. From an intern perspective, living, commuting and working in a different culture is much different then going over as a tourist, and I felt it was an eye opening experience. China is a fast paced growing economy, everywhere you go you can see and experience the growth. One of the most interesting things I had experienced is commuting on the subway system, it is very easy to use, but also certain times of the day it can be very crowded and overwhelming, and keeping this in mind people do this everyday, and at least twice a day. With todays businesses expanding to the global economy doing an internship is well worth the time, effort and expense involved in it.

Get the intern as close as possible to their desired field or selected program. Many of the programs are broken down into more specific areas of concentration, and every effort should be made to get the intern into their selected area.

Christianne
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
University of Pennsylvania

CRCC Asia- Shanghai

CRCC gives you a tremendous opportunity to intern at an established company while exploring all that Shanghai has to offer. During my internship at a consulting firm I was challenged with numerous projects that enhanced my analytical and communication skills. I was in charge of researching management consulting firms in the North American regions and compile data on financial performance, ownership, and their ability to establish a successful business in China. Also I developed the company's international investors database with over 120 new clients. Lastly, I maintained the company's public presence through Chinese and American media mediums.

Not only did I gain valuable skills from my internship, I also met some of my best friends during the program. Each night we ate at different Shanghai eateries and on the weekends we explored Shanghai and other neighboring cities. Future CRCC interns should know that while interning in your respective city, you will also learn about Shanghai's culture, language and have the ability to observe China's growth as an emerging market economy.

There are a couple things that I would change about the program. First, I would create more communication with the company and the intern prior to their arrival. Secondly, I would have more group dinners each week and make them mandatory so everyone in the program can meet one another. Lastly, there seemed to be a lot of disconnect with the interns in the program who lived in different hotels. I would either keep everyone at the same hotel, or have hourly shuttles that go back and forth so everyone in the program does not have to spend their own money visiting their friends each night.

Christine
Canada
Vancouver Island University

My month in Shanghai

My internship was for a month in Shanghai with CRCC Asia. As this was my first time traveling on a plane, and going outside of Canada, I was quite nervous. However, the thing that I was dreading the most was when the plane landed in China. At that moment I would be alone in a foreign country, in which I did not know anyone or the language. This is what I dreaded for the weeks leading up to my trip, and when I got to China, after a not stop flight, this is what I found. I was lost, confused, and sick from my flight, and just when I was feeling sad from the fact that there was no family or friends waiting for me at the arrival gate. I saw a CRCC representative waiting for me with her flag and smiling face. She offered me assurance and water, and then took me to me to the other lost interns who just got off their flights too. As we were being driven to our place of residence, we bonded over our mutual concerns, relief and amazement of the city we were being driven past. This set the course for the rest of the weekend, CRCC getting everyone together so we can get to know each other and the beautiful city we were living in.
CRCC afforded me the confidence to go forward with getting to know the other interns and the city. All the interns lived in the same hotel/apartment blocks, we were roommates and neighbours. While the accommodations were not the highest of quality, they were large and conveniently located. These close living situations brought the twenty interns that month tightly together. We did everything together, explored the city, ate at restaurants, enjoyed the vigorous night life, even just buying groceries at TESCOS was a group activity. It was such a great time, with everyday being a new adventure, one made better by the people who I was sharing it with.
Shanghai was such a great city to explore! It is a big city that has such a cheap and convenient public transportation network, in which everything is written, and announced, in both Mandarin and English. This made it easy for me to get around for work and recreation. CRCC made it even easier by giving us a guide book with key phrases, and they also included weekly mandarin lessons to help with the integration into Chinese society.
My work placement was an excellent introduction into my chosen career path, and has led me to further interest in that work. Everyone in my office was friendly, and the work was interesting. I learned a lot and gained valuable experience. Along with my work life, my social life was vastly improved by the other wonderful interns visiting that month.
This internship was one of the best experiences I could imagine for a first time traveler, like myself. Everything is planned and taken care of, and while it is a little pricey, if you are able to afford the fee, it is worth it. This was such a fantastic time, and has made quite an improvement in my ability to stand out amongst the crowd of other graduates. It was the best of times, and I would do it all the same again, but maybe for a little bit longer next time (a month was difficult to get everything in!).

Jake
Brisbane
Queensland University of Technology

The CRCC Asia Program is an incredibly enriching program from a social and professional standpoint

When thinking about my future I felt it's important to have exposure to the real world. In contemporary times, experience in the real world is gaining international exposure and creating great networks. This is something that the CRCC Asia program offers in abundance. A typical day at work involved me contacting CEO's of publicly listed companies to arrange buyout capital. A typical day on the weekend involved partying in Xintiandi in the same clubs as Will.I.Am and with my fellow interns. The social scene in Shanghai is brilliant and there are also plenty of networking opportunities to mix pleasure with business. I would never of had such a good quality experience without CRCC Asia.

Greg
São Paulo, Brazil

Short period....

It was a really nice experience! I was very lucky to work in a big agency were I've learned a lot a could make new contacts.

Very sad it was a short period of time.

Life in Shanghai was really easy CRCC helped us with everything i can't complain of anything. Sometimes I forgot that i was living in China cause the city is full of expats and is very modern.

Choosing SH to live was the right decision! I saw some interns living in Beijing and it wasn't my style at all very messy and complicated.

Made good friends and had time to think were i wanted to focus my career.

KMck
London
Newcastle University

Great time in Shanghai

I worked in the British Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai, the executive director said to me it was up to me what I wanted to get involved in so you really have to throw yourself into it and be proactive and get involved in all of their events/projects going on.

I was involved in copy writing for the website for example articles about events, as well as attending and helping to run events and business development.

The office is very small made up mostly of chinese staff who are all nice,and a great way to learn more abotu Chinese culture

I went to lots of events and at first felt a bit out of your comfort zone as business etiquette is very different to ours! lots of job opportunities and networking events where people ram their business cards into your hand and want to see what they can get out of you!

You get out of your internship what you put in so be proactive and engage and everything they do.. lots of post work chamber events which I pretty much went to all of them and got involved in the running of the event

Be approachable and offer help, you'll only get something out of it if you put the effort in.

Colton
Calgary, Alberta
University of Calgary

Trip of a lifetime

I participated in the program this July-August and had an absolutely wonderful time! I met fantastic people from all around the world, Shanghai is a beautiful city (the people take a bit of getting used to), my internship was awesome, and the CRCC staff are great. They really try to do everything in their power to make your trip worthwhile. I've read some of the comments here and a lot mention its hit or miss on your placement, and I would say that may be true to a degree but a bigger factor is what you make out of it. If you can show initiative, build a relationship with your boss, and show you can do quality work you will truly get a lot more from the internship than those that just sit at their desk and wait to be given work. The job is what you make it and I know many that loved their jobs and made great connections, I still email with my boss all the time. But by far the best part of the internship is interacting and exploring Shanghai with the other interns. An experience I will never forget!

Laxmi
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

CRCC ASIA made me feel special.

An internship in China………who would have ever thought about it????????????? But WE thought & WE got it, WE went, WE worked & WE learnt, WE lived the CULTURE of CHINA.

Being an International Business Management Student, China was the best choice for an internship as China is the fastest growing economy in the world. It is a learning curve for all business students as it relates to the transition of international trade to global trade and serving the entire world as one supermarket, where China is considered the major outsourcing hub.

How to deal with situations where you know no one, nor can you speak in the local language? Shanghai presented us with such situation every day since people rarely speak or understand English and we didn’t Shanghainese or Mandarin either. So the solution was to learn basic Mandarin…..CRCC Asia provided us with the schooling facility where you can learn basic Mandarin and now we can rely on our Mandarin communication if we happen to visit CHINA again.

2 months in China, spent in meeting new people, friends, colleagues, learning business etiquette and Chinese culture and climbing the GREAT WALL of CHINA...…..time just flew…. CRCC Asia made it a visit worth with their excellent hospitality, celebrity accommodation and of course round the clock support for any single thing you ever thought about. CRCC Asia has the best people employed who look after all your needs and they are just a phone call away.

I miss orientation, welcome and leaving drinks parties, banquet, charity events and business seminars.

What a fantastic experience we had!

CRCC Asia is the leading provider of international internship and study abroad programs in China. Our programs, consisting of a mix of internship, travel and study options, allow students to both invest in their future and experience China.

Since the company’s inception in 2006, CRCC