The Irish Arts and Culture Program

The Irish Arts & Culture Program gives you an opportunity to explore and cultivate your creative side, travel throughout Ireland, build independence and develop an appreciation of Irish arts and culture.

You'll work with local artists enjoying daily workshops in photography, creative writing, film, charcoal drawing, painting and more. You’ll explore the rich tapestry of Ireland’s cultural and artistic heritage while traveling to some of the country’s most unique and celebrated locations. This program is all about exploring and developing your creative side and no prior artistic experience is needed – Only enthusiasm!

Most importantly you will build your independence, learning to live and work with your peers, manage a household and to cultivate your creative side in a supportive environment. You’ll delve into Ireland’s cultural heritage and modern art scene, immerse yourself in our community, explore the arts, develop a self-designed portfolio and have the time of your life.

• Local Living - It's All About Community: Experience life as locals do from your Victorian home in the heart of Bundoran, Co. Donegal. Your 8 bedroom, traditional Victorian home is cosy, funky and has incredible views of the Atlantic.
  • Artistic Exploration and Workshop: Self-Designed, Unique and Tangible. Explore your areas of artistic interest from photography to found art/upcycling to music and performance to creative writing in our workshops.
  • Expeditions Around Ireland: You’ll get to explore the best of Ireland on our seven big expeditions (3-5 days each), each with a different cultural and artistic focus.

Genevieve

Genevieve’s arts and culture review

I had an incredible time with Irish Gap Year. I was able to meet amazing people who I intend to have life long friendships with and also had the opportunity to get to know myself better as well. With wonderful art instructors I was taught how to make art I felt truly proud of and not only learned helpful techniques but got the chance to explore my own artistic process. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone who is passionate about art and life itself, the opportunities with IGY are nearly endless!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I saw was when the entire beach and walk way were covered with waist deep sea foam. Children were getting lost in it and waves of sea foam came and basically attacked us! Being from colorado I had never witnessed the ocean like this!
Austin

Great Program!

I had an amazing time on this trip! Even though a lot of it was changed because of covid, the trip was still a very fun and enriching experience. The program leaders at IGY are super friendly and supportive, and I made lifelong friendships with everyone in my group. There were lots of chances to go surfing and spend time outside, and I was also able to join the adventure and leadership group a couple times when I wanted to go on longer hikes. We did some great workshops, and the tutors who taught them were friendly and very talented. I grew a lot from this trip and had a lot of fun.

Braden

Irish gap year, arts and culture program

My experience here was so beyond incredible. I’ve made so many incredible friends here’s a learned so much about Ireland and the culture. I seriously enjoyed every single day of being in Ireland.
I’m so so sad to leave. Like this has honestly been the highlight of my life so far; doing this program. There was never a dull moment with the group, we all became so incredibly close so quickly. The independence that you are given on this trip really allowed to me find myself in ways I never have before. This program has changed my life. I’m so thankful for it

What was your funniest moment?
There have been way too many funny moments to count.
Benjamin

Explore the gap year!

I had a wonderful experience that will prepare me for the next chapter of my life. I made many hopefully lifelong friends. I was glad to have done this program. I would like to thank all of the staff of Irish gap year. Including, but not limited to, Kate, Sarah, Killian, and Ryan. I would also like to thank all of my instructors including, Paschal, Lani, Aideen, Ken, Caroline, Maura, Rossa, and others. I would like to thank all those people for really making my gap year complete. I more so was happy to spend time with my fellow gappers.

Explore the gap year!!!!!! Do everything cuz it’s cool. Have fun.
Laura

Laura’s review

My initial nerves to come on this trip completely faded as soon as I met the staff and my peers. I had a great time connecting with not only the other students but the tutors as well. I always felt extremely supported by the IGY staff and loved getting to talk with them as well. The opportunities to work with such unique artists was amazing, not to mention the absolutely beautiful natural scenery. Despite the pandemic having an effect on our trip, IGY made sure it was an incredible experience nonetheless!

It’s obviously normal to be nervous but dive into the activities offered and your time here will fly by.
Eloise

It was FAB!!!

I absolutely loved my time in Irish Gap Year’s Arts and Culture Program!! Even during the pandemic there was still a lot we could do. By far the best part was the people I met. I made some really amazing friends on this trip and our leaders and tutors were so great! Ireland is also absolutely stunning! The art program was really valuable too. I was able to do painting, charcoal, theater, found object art, photography, and a bit of woodworking, jewelry making and printmaking! I’m incredibly proud of the work that I created during this gap semester and it was so fun being able to bring it all together in our own art exhibition at the end! I had a fantastic experience that I will never forget.

I think the communication and organization could be improved.
Genevieve

Genevieve’s 2020 arts and culture program review

I made incredible connections with peers on this trip and was also giving the opportunity to deepen my understanding of my own artistic process. With great instructors and a variety of art genres I was able to create things I was really proud of and have fun while doing it. The program leaders were kind and helpful every step of the way! I loved this program very much it was a great experience, I learned a lot about myself while also getting to enjoy life with other wonderful people and create beautiful art.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I saw on this trip was mounds of sea foam stretching through town. Kids where playing in it (also occasionally getting lost in it) waves of sea foam where coming up onto the walkway which usually is pretty far from the water! I had no idea sea foam could get like that!
Nathaniel

Nathaniel Joseph I-W’s Review

This gap year program is amazing for artists and non artists wanting to get into art. It’s also for those who want to explore and have a great time living with others. Personally, I had an amazing time and a large part of that was due to the amazing friends that I have made here. I also enjoyed learning from the wonderful artists and they each helped me expand my horizon. I had a great time working on my exhibition with the people here. I also can’t forget the help of my program leaders and I am so thankful for their support.

What was your funniest moment?
Too many to share. Way to many.... Explore the gap year, no-wah, ew-wah,... and more.