• Ireland

Fall Spring
Guesthouse
Age Max

Pricing

Program fees include food, all travel within Ireland, artistic tutoring and workshops, accommodation and the full support of the Irish Gap Year team.

Who is this program for?
The Irish Arts and Culture Program is for students interested in a broad-exposure art program in Europe with tangible takeaways. This is a low-stress program designed to facilitate self-exploration using the arts as a vehicle for this journey.

Many of our past students have enjoyed taking part in a community-based program. This means that you will have your own home, neighbors and really get the chance to be part of our town. It also means that you will develop independence in an environment that resembles college life.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Equipment Meals
What's Not Included
Airfare
Jan 15, 2021
Nov 24, 2021

The Irish Arts & Culture Program gives you an opportunity to explore and cultivate your creative side, travel throughout Ireland, build independence and develop an appreciation of Irish arts and culture.

You'll work with local artists enjoying daily workshops in photography, creative writing, film, charcoal drawing, painting and more. You’ll explore the rich tapestry of Ireland’s cultural and artistic heritage while traveling to some of the country’s most unique and celebrated locations. This program is all about exploring and developing your creative side and no prior artistic experience is needed – Only enthusiasm!

Most importantly you will build your independence, learning to live and work with your peers, manage a household and to cultivate your creative side in a supportive environment. You’ll delve into Ireland’s cultural heritage and modern art scene, immerse yourself in our community, explore the arts, develop a self-designed portfolio and have the time of your life.

Program Highlights

• Local Living - It's All About Community: Experience life as locals do from your Victorian home in the heart of Bundoran, Co. Donegal. Your 8 bedroom, traditional Victorian home is cosy, funky and has incredible views of the Atlantic.
  • Artistic Exploration and Workshop: Self-Designed, Unique and Tangible. Explore your areas of artistic interest from photography to found art/upcycling to music and performance to creative writing in our workshops.
  • Expeditions Around Ireland: You’ll get to explore the best of Ireland on our seven big expeditions (3-5 days each), each with a different cultural and artistic focus.

• 9-10 rating 97.62%
  • 7-8 rating 2.38%
Charlotte

Irish gap year arts and culture 2021

This program has truly been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I have met some of the greatest people, had incredible new experiences, and learned so much about myself. The workshops were so beneficial and it is so fun to create bonds with the tutors while learning more about things you are interested in. Going to new places and exploring Ireland with so much freedom also makes the trip so much fun. There is so much support from the staff and all your peers that really enrich your experience. You will not regret choosing Irish gap year for your next adventure.

Go in with an open mind and really take advantage of all the program has to offer. I flies by so fast to make sure you enjoy it.
Tristan

Gap 2021

I was super excited for this trip but also terrified because I’ve never been away from my family for this long but especially because I’ve never really been great with making friends so I was really nervous. But after the first two days all those worries went away everyone was really welcoming and kind and I was really comfortable around everyone. For the art section of the program it was unbelievably helpful. I was able to learn so much in only 3 months Michael was the best teacher for me teaching me on how to use the greyscale a lot better and how to improve as an artist as a whole

What was your funniest moment?
Eating it on the side of a hill multiple times as we went through the forests
Kempson

My experience with the program

I loved the program and the time that I spent here. The group that I was with was accepting and supportive, both peers and guides. The classes and mentors are engaging and throw themselves into helping with our projects. Everyone from the staff was great and we all felt like a family with the first week. I went on this program to try and start becoming more independent after high school but still be supported and this program delivers. I was lucky that I was able to go on this trip. I was lucky to be on this trip and meet and experience the people that I did.

Your group is a solid base that makes the program so much better and feel more like you’re home. Don’t isolate yourself from them because they make the experience so much more fun.
Sisi

1993 irish family vacation

Deciding to go on this program may have been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The program is very well organized with exciting activities and busy schedules almost every day. The location of the program is so beautiful, and ended up being way better than I expected. All art lessons are done in a beautiful old house with windows that look out over the ocean and green grassy fields. The art teachers are so supportive, unique, talented, and maybe even a little bit crazy. This program has given me the space to explore my creativity in a space free from pressure or judgement, which has been quintessential to my personal growth as an artist. The most important part of it all was the people I met here. Everyone here in this silly little art group are genuinely so unique, creative, funny, and supportive beyond belief. I am so eternally grateful to know all of these crazy goofballs for the rest of my life.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
It was most nerve-wracking for me to meet 13 new people all at once and then to suddenly be living with them, navigating a new social environment and way to live. I decided I would challenge myself to join social gatherings even when I was anxious about it, and that I would just be authentic to myself— this helped me feel a lot more comfortable with everyone and we very quickly became a little family. I’ve never felt more accepted and loved by a group of people, everyone is in the same situation and nervous to meet new people.
Riley

Irish Gap Year

Amazing program with incredible staff and great opportunities for developing as an artist :) The housing situation and the close-knit environment encourages everyone to become like a family. The art tutors are super skilled and a fantastic resource. The surrounding area is beautiful and safe, with lots to explore and do, and the trips around Ireland are well-executed so the days are always full of adventures and explorations without wasting time. Overall a valuable experience I'm so grateful for!

Don't isolate yourself- the group can be like family
Blake

IGY ARTS REVIEW *not clickbait*

This program changed my life. I came in knowing how to make 3d art with little drawing experience, and I left with charcoal and painting skills that I am extremely proud of. The natural landscape is conducive to creating art, and the local people were equally as inspiring. It is extremely different from the US, and living in a town with just two thousand people seemed daunting at first, but it really feels like a home. You get out on loads of trips as well, visiting cities like Dublin and Belfast and Galway along with smaller towns the typical person traveling Ireland would never see. So many memories were made here, and a program like the arts and culture program attracts positive people. The friends I found here are genuinely interesting and interested in the world, and I can’t wait to see what they will do. Our tutors are amazing, for I did not know many artists back home, and the mindset they gave me is one I will have forever. I had so many firsts, and it was a great foray into independence as they do take care of a lot (there is a laundry service!). It does get cold, and the wifi is spotty, but you get used to it. Recommend the Phoenix and the Chasing Bull, live music and draws a large crowd. Paris nightclub is fun, but the music is not it. The exhibition at the end is actually a big deal, and it was so satisfying to complete. Our leaders are great, and I would highly recommend coming on this program.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
That I can draw. Actually anyone can with the guidance of our tutors. I will do it for the rest of my life, which I never would have thought before.
Andy

Irish Gap Year Arts and Culture Program

Irish Gap Year Arts and Culture program 2021 baby…… I’ve got one thing to say and one thing only….. this program rocks! I came onto this program with no prior knowledge of visual art, a meek little scallywag stumbling about in the artful darkness!!! However, with the help of our lovely tutors (ie: Ken, Micheal, Lani, Richie, Rossa, Paschal, and Edwin my personal favorite), I emerged from the countryside a creative little cephalopod, eager to create and more thoroughly explore the different mediums we had created with! The leaders (Phil and Kate in particular) were supportive and eager to help whenever possible, my peers were friendly and such little dumpling darlings, and don’t even get me started on the surroundings! BEAUTIFUL!!!

I came into this program a shy little hedgehog boy…. A meager squirrel lad…. But even within the first week of the program I began to notice a welcome change! I was no longer a meager squirrel lad not a shy little hedgehog boy…. I, in fact, had become quite the sociable fellow! Irish Gap Year has definitely helped and encouraged me to grow as a person, and I feel much more confident in my abilities to navigate different scenarios now.

Do this program. I’m telling you to. And if I’m telling you to it means you have to. Now close out of this review, go onto the IGY art program website, and send yourself or your child to ireland RIGHT now….

What was your funniest moment?
Towards the end of the program I found myself hosting the art exhibition, that was pretty funny and also fun. Watch the video.
Asa

Irish Gap Year Fall 2021

This was a wonderful program in which I met some incredible people and grew a lot as an artist. There was a good balance of structured activities and freedom which allowed for unsupervised exploration. The artist workshops provided a lot of help for developing skills and especially Michael's charcoal class really pushes you. Cities around Ireland are fun to explore and and quite safe. When going out into the nature around Ireland the views and landscapes are often incredible. Shoutout to Kate and Phil

What was your funniest moment?
I do not think I could choose a singular "funniest moment" but one humorous occurrence I particularly recall is when a PRACTICAL JOKER (perhaps even a mischievous rapscallion) attempted to sync a collision between their cranium and the kitchen wall with a HIGHLY silly sound effect and failed to activate the goofy gong, resulting in nothing but the clang of their skull against the drywall! Quite cantankerously chucklesome....