• Italy

Apartment Host Family Hotel
Primary Language
Age Max

Pricing

Included in the fees: all accommodation, breakfast, tuition in small groups, all transport in Italy when concerned with teaching, all museum entrance fees, notes and reading lists.

Not included in the fees: flights, lunch and dinner, spending money, travel insurance, repatriation insurance and cancellation insurance.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals Tour Guide Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Some Meals Travel Insurance
Jan 08, 2021
Dec 23, 2022
165 travelers are looking at this program

This course travels through Italy four times a year, exploring all aspects of culture, such as history, music, politics, food, literature and philosophy – in addition to art and architecture. Alongside studying the greatest masterpieces of Western civilisation, tutors will take students off the beaten track to unearth some of the secret wonders of Italy. The course visits Venice, Verona, Florence, Siena, Naples and Rome as well as many places in between. For example, while in Florence students will spend a day visiting the leaning tower of Pisa, and while in Naples some time is spent studying Pompeii and climbing Mount Vesuvius. Spending at least 5 days in each city and up to 10 in some, students will delve beyond the realms of tourism, leaving with an in depth knowledge of Italy that will remain with them for life.

Program Highlights

• Enthusiastic and friendly experts for instructors
  • Private viewings to some of Italy's most extraordinary sites
  • Incredible off the beaten track visits to explore authentic Italy
  • Demonstrations and workshops in traditional crafts
  • A focus on the joy of creativity (it's in all of us!)

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
  • Benefits 5
  • Facilities 5
Bertie

BEST PART OF MY GAP YEAR!

I was a student on AHA’s 6 week Early Summer Course from the end of May to early July 2022 and it was without a doubt the BEST aspect of my gap year. Our select group of 11 travelled the length and breadth of Italy discovering the greatest artists, architects, leaders and thinkers from the early Christian church, through the Renaissance, and right up to the 21st century. All the while we bonded as a group to form strong bonds of friendship while sharing knowledge, opinions and laughs (lots of them)! Accompanied by the most inspiring, approachable and easy-going tutors who shared their endless information in the most creative and thought-provoking ways…from Italian language classes in Siena to a private tour unlocking the Vatican…you’ll leave Italy with a rounded knowledge of its culture and an ability to embrace any culture where-ever you go in the future. If you love Italian history, fine art, striking architecture, good food and travelling with friends then this course is the ONE for you! Don’t think twice just sign up - you’ll never look back (except to reminisce on the great times you had in Italy)!

Pros
  • Tutors with expert knowledge and an infectious sense of fun
  • Being surrounded by Italian art, food and language
  • Make friends for life
Cons
  • Always on the go but in an informal atmosphere
  • After 6 weeks you have to leave Italy and say goodbye to your tutors and friends
John

Best semester of my life.

AHA is undoubtedly the best program abroad for any art lover or any student interested in Italy and making lasting friendships from around the world. The AHA tutors and teachings are unrivaled, and you will learn more than you could ever expect. AHA was genuinely the time of my life. Don't worry if you don't have a huge interest in art; the tutors illuminate and make art incredibly engaging and fun. My memories from AHA will stay with me for life, and the friendships have stayed strong almost a year after we left.

Brooks

Best experience of my life

Having the opportunity to immerse yourself into Italian culture, food, art and history is something that is beyond incredible. And to have a group of tutors/leaders who are so passionate about providing you with a top quality experience only furthers how incredible it is. AHA is dedicated to opening the doors that allow you to spark your own interests and creativity surrounding what you do and see and the love they put into not only their lessons but the students makes it by far the best option.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
There is genuinely nothing I could change about this program. Everything about it was more than incredible.
William

Simply the best...

Art History Abroad's gap year course in Italy was unforgettable, magical and inspirational.

It was so special because I had never travelled to Italy or studied Art History, so turning every street brought some extraordinary new mind blowing revelation. Thirty two years later I remember moments of that trip better than many of the years in between.

Sharing such a joyful experience with others was part of the magic. Any young person who has a store of joyful moments to inspire, will find them comfort through hard times.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Risotto. I was brought up in a generation that regularly steamed risotto with vegetables, so I had avoided risotto until Rome - where everyone was raving about it.
Barney

Amazing three weeks in Italy

I spend three weeks with Art History Abroad during August 2020 on their Regeneration Summer Course. I joined them for a week in Naples, then five days in Rome, three days in Siena, and the rest in Florence.

The course exceeded my expectations by a mile. I was joining the course alone after its first week and was worried that everyone would already be friends with each other & I would be the new one; but, within minutes of arriving I had already met everyone and gotten completely comfortable with all the students and tutors. Prior to going, I had already met Marie Naffah, one of my tutors in Naples, at two different school gap fairs. I remember finding her extremely friendly & easy to interact with, and so I was very happy to have her for my first week of the course. I think that the tutors are one of the best aspects of AHA. With each tutor I had (Steve Nelson, Marie Naffah, Joe Nickols, Holly Morrison, Nick Ross and Helen Oakden) I found that I had more of a friendly relationship with them rather than a student-teacher one. The lessons were more like conversations than lectures which was perfect for discussing all of the amazing things which we saw every day.

The course itself was exactly what I was looking for. Having been unable to take Art History as a subject at school, I found myself able to understand everything that the tutors were talking about & to present my own thoughts properly. I had the opportunity to learn about whole areas of history & art which I had never thought about much before and the variety of periods, places, and cultures we covered was amazing.

When the course finished I was very sad to have to leave the group and the environment which we had been living in for the last few weeks; however, I have soon was able to return to Italy and live in Rome for 8 weeks. Walking around the city, everything that I recognised from the course brought back happy memories and I found that I knew far more about the different sites than the others around me. I had the most amazing time with AHA and I really hope that I will be able to join them again at some point in the future.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The Course started in Sicily, a week in Palermo and Syracuse, before going on to Naples where I joined. If I could do it all again I would certainly choose to drop the plans I had before I left and join the course for the first week. I would want to spend as much time as possible with the group.

(I would have tried to describe my funniest moment on the trip but there were so many hilarious experiences that I couldn't possibly choose or begin to explain just one of them)
Hatty

Best month of my life

I decided to go on a month long AHA summer course around a month before it began. I was feeling bored and uninspired from being stuck at home during lockdown without anything to do. I was not keen at first to go on a summer course as what I imagined was a sort of glorified school trip. I could not have been more wrong. The students and tutors were all interesting and entertaining and I have made friends I know I will be close with for the rest of my life - including quite a few who are now at university with me! I could not recommend this course enough, I find myself thinking back to August whenever the rain or my essays start to get me down.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was worried about scuba diving in Ischia as I sometimes get claustrophobic. The tutors and instructor were very encouraging, however, and I ended up really enjoying the experience.
Theo

AHA semester course review

Art History Abroad’s semester course is the best way anyone could possibly spend 6-12 weeks. I was so lucky to experience it, having not only educational but fun tutors who guided us seamlessly through some of the most stunning places on the planet. I met friends from places I’d never even heard of before and the lasting friendships that you can build during this enriching time are possibly the best thing about it. It is truly a blast. I found the most enriching thing to be the way in which i found myself loving learning. I felt that everyday had a true and amazing purpose, and i knew that each day my mind would be blown afresh.

What was your funniest moment?
Waking up realising that my pizza addiction had gone to far as i surveyed the carnage on the floor of my room.
Emma

Art History Abroad- 4 week Program in Italy

My own experience with Art History Abroad is a positively unforgettable one. It’s the trip where you will catch yourself replaying sun soaked scenes in your head, when it’s still and raining outside. If you need a reminder of all that is valuable and sweet in life you really do not need to look any further. Behind all of it lies a foundation of passion for the arts which I found infectious, to create in any form is joyous and so much more valuable than we make it out to be these days. AHA is an important reminder of this and I can’t encourage you enough to welcome such an opportunity with open arms.

All of the tutors bring their very own individual approaches to the educational side of the trip, the art and and architecture is breathtakingly beautiful and the food...the Piece de Resistance! I do believe the best and only way to approach an AHA course is with openness, observe, be a sponge, be conscious of all you take in and what you give out will be equally as special. After a lockdown year out this opportunity couldn’t have come sooner, I could charge my batteries up with incredible conversations, new connections and memories that really will last a lifetime. It’s difficult for me to find any criticisms on AHA as my own experience was so magical! I’ll always stand by the fact that trips of this kind, as cliché as it sounds, enrich your own perspectives on life and surely that alone is worth joining for...and it’s fun I guarantee you, you will laugh till you cry!