The iALA vision is to develop leadership via the medium of adventure for young adults.
The importance of emotional intelligence to enhance effectiveness in young adults is important as we realize that the global village we are living in demands special skills to function effectively as human beings. We’ve got less space and more people.
The era of social media, however, illustrates quick fixes. These recipes don’t have a long lasting positive effect. Through adventure, we teach young adults the skill of determination and how to develop noble goals in order to define meaningful purpose. For us, the most important strategic step is to turn adventure on to its head…adventure is not the sole focus, developing authentic leadership out of adventure is of primal concern! This way around we lead with character within complex situations.
Visit our website to learn more about our life-changing program
- 40 Weeks Gap Year Program. (February to October) This program includes all the aspects of adventure leadership training focusing on health & safety plus search & rescue training and group dynamics.
- Ocean Skills & Hiking. (February to March) The main focus is to learn about waves, tides, coastlines and the ecology of a healthy habitat. Ocean swimming, First Aid and Lifesaving form part of the training. We finish theterm with a hike in the Knysna Fore
- Hunting & Survivor. (April to early June) The focus of this term is on understanding the Biomes of Southern Africa, hunting as skill plus surviving techniques. Tracking and guiding is included into the training. We do all the training against the backdro
- Community Service. 4x4 Driving, Small Boat Handling & Fishriver Canyon Hiking. (July to August) The basic small boat handling will teach students more difficult ocean skills. They will be able to do 4x4 training at an extra cost, visit the Transkei for
- SCUBA Diving, Mountain Biking & Rope Skills. (September to October) In the last term we are off towards the warmer waters of the Indian Ocean to complete our Scuba Diving and mountain bike training.