Warriors Academy Gap Year Program in South Africa

Scuba!
Scuba!
We always come back up!
We always come back up!
The ride is never easy.  Do not give up!
The ride is never easy. Do not give up!
After a very long and difficult hike.
After a very long and difficult hike.
Capetown
Capetown
An extreme program designed to move you beyond your boundaries
An extreme program designed to move you beyond your boundaries

The Warriors Academy Gap Year program is aimed at developing each individual participant through a series of four 7-week adventure Quests. Each quest has a flagship adventure activity and is supported by numerous secondary activities. This is a highly dynamic and active program designed to create an exciting environment for personal and emotional growth. Participants can choose to do any one of the Quests or to do all four as a full Gap year program. The Second Year Multi-Activity-Instructors (MAI) course is aimed at those individuals that would like to pursue a career in the Adventure tourism industry equipping them with all the needed skills to become a professional Instructor or guide.

• Program Selection 9
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Tumi

Best Gap Year in the world!

One of the best experiences I've ever had. I would recommend everyone to take the opportunity to find out more and join the family.
The program allowed me to understand who i am am and to live life to the fullest.
utilising my full potential and knowing my value.
The people i met were incredible and life long friends. It's been an amaizng experinng and I will definetly make sure my kis get to experience the freedom to be alive!
The self development I developed and the self esteem is something noone can ever take away from me.

I would recommend anyone and everyone to sign up and to explore their greatness while traveling around africa. This is the best gap year program in the world and I was fortunate enough to be one of the students to experience it!

Nothing. The program is perfectly designed and all is as it should be! It teaches you to be humble!
Petra

Winter Quest 2019

Good day Warrior Team

Duardu just finished his first Warrior Quest. It was also the longest he has been away from home. As parents we were a bit nervous as to how he will cope with this new adventure.

Through his school years we never thought that he will choose the “adventure road” as his future as he never showed any interest in the outdoor life and I must say when he start mentioning this career choice we were a bit sceptical.

He joined Warriors and from the first phone call we had, after the Toltec course, we have noticed a huge change in him, and that was just over the phone.

Then he came home on Friday. I just could not believe the change in attitude, his excitement and just all over positivity!!

We always knew Duardu had it in him to soar in life and for me as mother, the emotional side of any person is far more important than academics or being in “first” place.

We followed all your webisodes and one of the things we have noticed, besides every one having an absolute blast😜, is the way the team really carried the students with positive talk and constantly guiding them!

So the reason for this email is to say thank you! Thank you for the way you treated Duardu, thank you for guiding him, thank you for your positive input in his life this past 7 weeks.

I am sure there were more than a few difficult moments BUT (and it depends where you put your BUT) there were so many awesome moments!

There is truly not one negative comment from Duardu regarding this quest. When he talks about all the moments, hikes, ups, downs, the running, the people, the cycling, he relays it with a very wide smile that comes from within, and for that we will be forever grateful!

He cannot wait to return for the Spring Quest. And we as parents will let him go with pride and with the certainty that he is in the more than capable hands of an awesome team with a passion, that is very visible, for young people!

Good luck to you all

Nothing to improve on , I think the Warriors Team has perfected this programme into a well balanced year.
James

Warriors is fantastic

I went to the Warriors gap year program when I was at a time in my life where I was at a loss how to move forward. Warriors gave me guidance and support and helped me become the man I am today. They helped me find my path in life and provided me with all the guidance and support I could have asked for on the program. The facilitators are all amazing and knowledgeable people while all the activities build on each other and all have their own purpose. This gap year camp was truly an amazing and unforgettable experience that helped me solve a lot of problems I was facing and helped me realize how strong I truly am. I would recommend Warriors to anyone who is looking for a gap year, to mature, expand their horizons or just have fun! It truly is worth every cent and will stay with me for the rest of my life.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The Tolteq workshop, that helped change my outlook on life.
Somane

Warriors Academy Gap Year

The Warriors gap year program pushes every participant to the edge of their comfort zone where they are forced to then step into their own growth zone. Personally this program played such a huge roll in the physical, emotional and mental health that I have achieved today. Without this gap year program and without the family/team that runs it, I would not be the man I am today and I will forever be grateful to Warriors Academy for showing me how to take the next step. Without being pushed the way I was or encouraged to the point that I was, I would not have made it through the year. This gap year program is the only one in the world that offers participants such unbelievable benefits. Warriors Academy changed the direction of my life and I am positive that anyone who is open enough to explore this experience for themselves, will only benefit from it and take the lessons they learn on into their life.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Realizing my own strength and my own commitment, when I was so close to believing I had none.
Kim

The year that changed my life

As a young 18 year old I had a dream, to become a "Warrior" to live the life of a passionate and hungry spirit, to find and discover the Adventure of being Alive.

The dream for me started when I walked into an atmosphere like no other on a RYLA Camp Warriors Academy Hosts, after 5 or 6 camps I officially fell in love with the Warrior Way and it became my mission to live and breathe as a Warrior.

I am now a professional Chef, but when I look back at the best year of my life: My Warriors Gap year in 2016 will forever lead. The thing that my heart holds onto at Warriors is not only the adventure you find within, but the personal growth that the incredible team helps you find.

Between mentoring, courses, pushing yourself to reach beyond your comfort zone, learning new skills, and talking to people you never would have before.. Warriors is a place for all ages, races and everyone who has never felt they could fit in. You will find your home and family here.

The Warriors compass, Toltec, The Warrior Way, the mindset... These are all things I carry in my heart, even as far to say my skin as I got it tattooed onto my arm.

I sing the Warrior Ranger songs in public, I teach the lessons I have learnt. I live in the mindset daily, but most of all... The Warriors Academy freed me from myself. I found a new love for life, people and most of all realized the value of who I am in this world.

I owe the woman I have become, to this Gap Year program. And to anyone who is trying to find their way in this world, or who they are... I suggest you use The Warriors Academy as your Base.

They are the foundation on which to build the rest of your life, I guarantee you wont regret it.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would change the way I interacted with some of my fellow students and house mates. I would be more understanding of peoples opinions and relationships. And most of all I would give myself more time to find myself.
Read my full story
Florian

Incredible experience

Taking part in the Warriors Adventure Program has been life changing to say the least. I have gained so much experience, skills and met the most amazing people that will be with me for the rest of my life.

Before I started my adventure I did not have a clue where I was going with my life. Warriors helped me find my way and helped me decide what I wanted my future to look like and now I have an amazing 4 years of uni to look forward to.

Although I have experienced the program over two different years, I believe it was something very crucial to me because of the fact that I got to be part of two completely different groups. The first helped me discover myself and the second allowed me to take all those first experiences and use them to help others in their journey of discovery.
And I think there’s something beautiful about that.

It is normal for someone to not enjoy EVERY activity or aspect of the program.
But if you just put your mindset right and go with the flow, you’ll have a great time ;)
Courtney

Warriors is life changing

Warriors has helped me grow into the man I am today. Without warriors I would not be where I am today and I am very very grateful for that. The staff at warriors become family where they show such great support through their program. Warriors helps you dive down deep and discover yourself again through different adventures, through this the warriors family help you along the way showing their support. The adventures you go on is life changing and filled with fun, Adrenaline and many lessons to learn. Warriors teaches you how to be humble and down to earth as well as being kind, supportive and loving. Warriors has helped me through many many difficult times and I owe many many thanks to them. This program is the best program I've been on and I will HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who is willing for some self discovery and adventure.

Matthew

Stunning Gap Year Program

Warriors does more than just your typical gap year program, Warriors blends mental and physical challenges to help people grow and develop the necessary skill to tackle life, Warriors was and still is the best decision I've ever made. Warriors has tought me valuable life lessons that will and have come in handy, such as how to market myself or how to create a CV. Warriors has tought me how to get out of my comfort zone so I can grow as a person and to be the best version of me, and because of this I've never been happier. Warriors is a program that I would recommend to anyone who don't know what they want to do with their lives and also to those who do, just to gain the experience that warriors provides which is useful for the days to come.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
For me the most nerve-racking moment was when I was facing backwards off a cliff about to conquer the big swing.
Bronwyn

The best decision I ever made!!!

The most amazing decision I ever made was to do the summer quest at Warriors. I decided to take a year off while I was busy completing my degree, I had been struggling with my mind set and was tackling depression. While at Warriors,I learnt so much about who I am as a person and what I want in life. My confidence increased immensely and I became comfortable in my skin again. There were so many activities that challenged me, activities that I never thought I would be able to do, and when I did achieve them I felt unstoppable. The group of warriors who do the quest with you also become your second family, and you really learn how to care about others and how important it is to be able to work together with people. It was an absolutely incredible experience and I would recommend it to anyone who is considering doing a gap year. The amount of personal growth that takes place during the quests is amazing!!!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Big tree, hands down. The perfect activity to mentally challenge you and make you aware of how strong you really are.
Devin

Warrior of 2016

Life changing personally.

My perception of myself was changed and I'm constantly challenging myself as a human being, soccer coach, business manager, boyfriend, son, grandson, brother and friend.

The 7 weeks I spent at Warriors Basecamp for Summer Quest 2016 are remembered as some of my favorite memories and one of the best and most influential experiences of my life.

This program is run by such an incredible family.

They are happy, committed, wise, knowledgeable, patient, motivational, supportive and experienced in their industry.

I felt a sense of freedom and comfort while I was there and developed wonderful bonds of comradery with my fellow Warriors.

I left with an unbreakable confidence in myself and walked into my first job interview to take the position.

Since then so many lessons I learned at Warriors have risen in day to day life and I have the tools to pick up on those unhealthy patterns /situations and deal with them accordingly.

I am very grateful for the 7 weeks I sacrificed from the comfort of my home and loved ones - it was well and truly worth it.

Embrace it.

Enjoy every single second and attempt to stay present minded throughout the experiences, adventures and activities you go through.

Trust in your facilitators and fellow Warriors and communicate your feelings constantly.

Take time to yourself and reflect as much as possible to stay motivated.

Anyone that has the opportunity to experience this crazy journey will benefit greatly as a human from it in my opinion.

If you feel that you are not fulfilling your life's purpose I think this place can help change that.

Sheebong

Definitely worth it

I had a great experience at Warriors Gap Year Program, despite how challenging or difficult some of the tasks were, I still enjoyed every moment. They offered a great environment for learning, freedom and growth, and I really appreciated that. I also thought there was also quite a good distribition between the activities; from the travelling, exercise, adventure, majorly physically inclined activities, to sitting down to learn more about yourself, others and the future, to simply rest, relax and celebrate how far we'd come. I personally didn't complete the whole year ( I had personal things to take car of), but even so I left having felt that everything I experienced and learned was more than I would've if I hadn't gone. Putting that into perspective, if not taking part of the whole program was still that impactful, imagine what more I could have achieved having done the whole program. I think that's something worth noting.

Conclusively, I think Warriors Gap Year Program is definitely worth the time, energy and money for the magnitude of experience, adventure and knowledge one would attain after attending.

- Increase time assigned for the workshops.

- Make the media from the Program more accessible to everyone. If you aren't on Facebook to see the videos and pictures, where else should someone go?

Its not easy for a Warrior to carry a camera to every trip, so we rely on the instructor/facilitator for the pictures and videos. I think that at the ending ceremony each Warrior should get some means of being able to look at and keep all the media compiled through the whole term, something similar to a year book, but maybe digitized due to volume. Even a zipped folder with the content that would be emailed to all participants would suffice.
Roelof

My experience with warriors

Warriors was hard and scary.. but the good kind of hard and scary, the type that forces you to grow and become a person you wouldn’t have ever believed you could be, and you have so much fun doing it. Physically they challenge you every day, to prove to yourself, again and again, that you can accomplish anything, be it marathons or triathlons, jumping off a bridge or swimming deep with the fishes. They make sure, you face all your fears. Now i was quite emotionally unstable when i went to warriors. But the support i got from then.. even though i was being rude or dramatic, was unparalleled. They helped me realize who I really am, and who i want to become. Then they gave me all the tools needed to become him. So i will forever be thankful to warriors.

If there are international warriors doing the year with you. Embrace their cultures. Believe me, you will learn a lot.
Pasquale

The ultimate Gap Year

Warriors was one of the most life changing experiences. Besides the absolutely stunning beauty of where the Base camp is situated , the staff and coordinators are amazing people who made me feel safe and pushed me to reach my full potential.The lessons I learnt and experiences I will carry with me forever. Definitely worth every dollar spent thank you so much my Warriors Family for showing the true meaning of living for the adventure of being alive!". To anyone who is unsure don't think twice about your decision to take this gap year it's 100% worth it,I won't always be easy but it will challenge your mind,body and soul to find out who you really are and what you are made of and trust me you will be quiete surprised at what all of us are capable of if we just put our minds to it.

Fabien

A year well spent

It builds you physically and mentally, the program is designed in a way that you will have times of fun and times of learning. The program is not easy, it relies on team work and your mental strength to complete each activity. Being stuck with the entire group all the time also teaches you how to deal with people all types of backgrounds and values. There are times where there is a little bit of tension but it always ends up fixing itself. All the workshops we do are also very important for th real world as it teaches you many life skills such as presentation skills and public speaking. Nothing in the program is mandatory but everyone does it and push themselves because they want to see a better version of themselves at the end of the day no matter how uninterested they are in life.

Sophie

Life Changing.

I don’t think I have a bad word to say about my experience at Warriors. I think everyone who goes abroad on their gap year will say it was “life changing”, but Warriors differs from other programs in that it equips young people with skills they would never have learnt or even been introduced to anywhere else. It boasts a unique and fun environment where you can test yourself and your capabilities. Something I found very striking was how little pressure I felt from the moment I arrived - it was a real breath of fresh air having just come out of A-Level stress at school. I was completely free to be myself and explore who I was in a way that I had never experienced at home. I think most young people feel enormous amounts of pressure to succeed in a specific way, and warriors helped me break the cycle and find out what I was really passionate about in my own way and my own time, and I cannot express how valuable that has been for me.

Self confidence etc aside, if you’re searching for some adrenaline pumping madness, you’d be hard pressed to find a better or more all inclusive course! I started off only doing one quest and I ended up staying for the rest of the year because I was having too much fun to go home! Bungee jumping, skydiving, mountain biking, scuba diving are just the beginning - it’s honestly the adventure junkie’s dream. You’ll travel every inch of South Africa, be it by foot, bike or kayak. You’ll see some awe inspiring things, and meet some awe inspiring people.

I came into Warriors expecting to hang out in South Africa for 8 weeks, do some cool stuff, meet some cool people... and instead I stayed for the rest of the year, doing things that pushed me everyday and meeting people that I will regard as family for the rest of my life. The things I learnt were truly invaluable, and things that I know I couldn’t have learnt anywhere else. Warriors is unique, and something I wish everyone could experience - I hope my own kids will have the opportunity to do something even half as brilliant in the future.

Location:
Cape Town International Airport
( CPT )
King Shaka International Airport
( DUR )

South Africa is often thought of as resoundingly unstable and poor; however, this is far from the case. The duality in South Africa encompasses big cities with a well-developed infrastructure, as well as rural areas that are under developed and impoverished. South Africa is well known for having 11 recognized languages, beautiful landscapes, and abundance of animals

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Warriors Academy

Warriors Academy has developed an intensive self development program using a wide range of intrinsic and extrinsic activities. The program is divided into four quests, each with a flagship activity and supported by a variety of secondary activities....