Warriors Academy Gap Year Program in South Africa

The ride is never easy.  Do not give up!
The ride is never easy. Do not give up!
After a very long and difficult hike.
After a very long and difficult hike.
Scuba!
Tumi
Tumi
Arrival Coffee bay after Wild Coast hike
Warriors race

The Warriors Academy Gap Year program is aimed at developing each individual participant through a series of four 7-week adventure Quests. Each quest has a flagship adventure activity and is supported by numerous secondary activities. This is a highly dynamic and active program designed to create an exciting environment for personal and emotional growth. Participants can choose to do any one of the Quests or to do all four as a full Gap year program. The Second Year Multi-Activity-Instructors (MAI) course is aimed at those individuals that would like to pursue a career in the Adventure tourism industry equipping them with all the needed skills to become a professional Instructor or guide.

• Program Selection 9
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Estian

Warrior Leadership Challenge

I took part in the Warrior Leadership Challenge in December 2019, it was a great experience where I got the opportunity to expand my knowledge and personal growth. To push my own limits and question my own integrity. I made new friends and met great people, wonderful leaders who made this week much more than I thought possible. I can recommend it to any young person, looking for a challenge and a chance to experience South Africa in a different way.

In this week's challenge, we got to explore outdoor adventures which included climbing a tree of over 15 meters in height, jumping from a bridge (with proper safety attire!), and for the not-faint hearted a massive Bridge Swing in the beautiful Mpumalanga province. We met elephants and kissed a hippopotamus (yes, we did!) did tribal dancing while visiting a local village. There is so much more than just these exciting challenges - morning yoga where you get to clean your thoughts and relax and fun team building where we had to prepare our evening meals. Truly something to experience for yourself!

Daniel

My brother

My brother did the gap course in 2019 and grew so much as a person and learnt so many life skills. I’d recommend it to any young person who hasn’t made their career mind up. It is a truly excellent program. Thank you Warriors for all you do. I don’t have 500 characters to add. So if I could amend what I’ve said I would. I’m just trying to make 500 characters here. But anyway Warriors is the best way forward for the younger generation. All the best to all of you going forward. You have changed my brothers life.

Gavin

mind body and spirit

every day Warriors meet and overcome challenges of a physical, psychological and spiritual nature. The team spirit and superb accompaniment means that there is no sense of destructive competition, but that each person continually strives to better themself. the experience as a whole builds individual confidence and self esteem, as well as a strong ethic of team work .

this programme is ideal for young people and those who have had little exposure to nature outdoor activities. It will be an unforgettable experience; I can't recommend it highly enough!

it's difficult to think how to improve this remarkable experience
Kim

Warriors 360

My journey with The Warriors Academy has taken me in a complete 360. I started my journey 4 years ago today, as a bright young woman with absolutely no idea what I wanted to do, but all I knew is that I had a hunger and a thirst for adventure. My life circle has lead me from doing to Gap Year myself to studying in Cape Town and getting my advanced diploma in Food and Wine as a chef, to now my path leading me back to Warriors as a facilitator who assists in running both the Gap Year as well as The MAI (second year option). There is something about the Warriors Academy that makes base camp, the people you meet and the places you go feel like home. A sense of community is built, trust in strangers is found and furthermore you discover a part of yourself that you never knew existed. Everyday is an opportunity to grow, to invest and to find a new adventure to make a new memory. And from me to you, if you ever need something or someone in this lonely world, we here at Warriors Academy will not only be here for you leading and facilitating you into a better stronger person: who believes in themselves but we will welcome you into our international Warriors family with open arms!

What was your funniest moment?
Everyday had something new and exiting! Being surrounded by a bunch of young adults that are alive is extremely contagious... And in an environment which really encourages you to be 100% yourself!
Jacob

Warriors Academy

Challenging...Oh yes!
Worth it?...Most definitely!
This program has changed my life, I was in a very bad space with not much hope for my future before joining Warriors Academy. Now I stand tall with a world of opportunities and a beautiful new outlook on my life and my future.
I have gained the tools that I was so despreratly in need of.
I was guided and driven through every obstical by an incredible team of passionate, caring and knowledgeable facilitators and instructors who's mission is to help their students grow and turn into well rounded, motivated and powerful individuals!

When given an opportunity...grab it with both hands and don't let go till you have grown from it! It took me way too long to acknowledge the beauty and advantages of using every opportunity I was offered and i ended up missing out on quite a few life changing moments because of this, if I could do it all again I would go head first into everything I was offered so please please do the same!
Glynnis

Warrior's Gap Year

Warrior's Gap Year is an extraordinary experience. It's a fun filled dynamic course with adventure and incredible personal growth and leadership skills. Every student admits to a total personality transformation. Wonderful friendships with kids from around the world. And having a brand new family they stay in contact with forever after. They also feel welcome to come back and visit Warrior's Base Camp anytime. The staff are wonderful, always supportive and the group dynamics amazing. A place where you not only let go of a victim mentality and possible painful past issues, but learn self confidence, nurturing, sharing and caring. Absolutely worth it!

Sarah

Changed my child.

This is an awesome program. My son began as a mixed up teen and they gave me back an amazing young man. I would recommend this gap year program to any young school Leaver. Huge thanks to Rowena and her team. Jacob learned many skills, including leadership, scuba diving, abseiling, conservation, caving, mountain climbing, white river rafting, sailing, first aid among dozens of other skills. The team provides the youngsters with excellent role models. They attend to the physical, emotional, spiritual and health needs of the kids. Getting them fit physically as well as holistically. I can honestly say that it’s the best thing to happen to my son.

Nicky

A parents perspective

18 months ago my son had no clue as to what he wanted to study post school. An avid mountain biker but no "behind the desk 9-2-5er" what was the best path?

Then we found WARRIORS
not for the faint of heart
pull yourself up by your bootstraps
learn some essential life skills
& have the most awesome adventure filled GAP YEAR of your life

He loved it so much he has continued on the MAI (multi activity instructor) path.

Warriors was not just any gap year it was a life changing experience!!!

it is a well developed formula - nothing! Warriors Rocks!
Aidan

My Experience at Warriors Academy

My experience at warriors academy was some of the best moments of my life.

When arriving at the base camp I was greeted with open arms and this made me feel very welcome, to then learn from where everyone comes from was fun as there are students that come from all corners of the globe. this gave me a wider view on the world, learning the different ways each person lived their lives. It was very fun to learn new things.
In the time that we were all together we built a tight bond with each other and helped each other through different and difficult times. supporting and boosting each others moral so to get task or activities done.

The the staff at Warriors Academy are very supportive to the group and to ones individual needs. They do their best to ensure that you have learnt as much as you can but to also have tons of fun at the same time. they plan the activities correctly and effectively with a strict but manageable time table. Their rules are fair and reasonable. They are established so to ensure your safety and well being while on the gap year program. I have the out-most respect for the staff at the Warriors Academy.

We did amazing activities every week and throughout the year. from cycling, running, to hiking some of the most amazing trails South Africa has to offer, to survival course down to bungee jumping and scuba diving and up to skydiving. And visiting and traveling to most areas in South Africa and to some neighboring countries

This gap year is not just about having fun. It is also about showing you how push hard and become a better your, this gap year helps you grow into a better person and the techniques that are taught to you to help cope with daily stresses and how to understand that you do not need to go through everything alone.

This is why I would suggest that this Gap Year program be one of the best programs to follow if you are unsure what to next or just come out of school being either abroad or local. Come give it a try. You wont regret a single moment.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
We hiked up to the Tugela Falls, which was a very short distance but took time due to the incline, once on top we setup camp but also after getting into our tents and in our sleeping bags my camel pack burst open all over me and my sleeping bag. I frantically got my sleeping bag out to dry for half an hour but realized that did not help because it was minus something out side so it basically froze.

After placing the camel pack outside and bring the sleeping bag in again I decided to place a towel on top of my sleeping bag and lie of top of it so that the towel could absorb most of the moisture but it was getting really cold so i decided to climb into a now damp sleeping bag and use my towel as a lining inside the bag. This worked and i got warm again. But there was one thing i forgot to bring and that was extra warm socks as i had only one pair with me so my feet got cold that night but now I know for the future.

That next morning I woke and my left over water in the camel pack was frozen. ;)
Was really a great experience.
Read my full story
Benjamin

My Gap year

I was a Warrior in 2009. This program helped me withbso many aspects of my life. From discovering who i am to over coming a couple of fears. I was able to be myself and explore endless oppertunities with a safe circle of friends and extended family. The support i recived and love was somthing our of this world. Besides all the emotional trips and that this program had given me the most amazing adventures one could ask for. SKY DIVING. SCUBA. HORSE RIDING. SELF DEFENCE. HIKES. RAFTING you name it we did it. Thank you for everything. I would highly recommend this program to all ages that have the opertunity to partake in the program and events.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
SKY DIVING. I was scared of hights but i did it and enjoyed it. I can say iv been there done that.
Duardu

Warriors Gap Year 2019

This year changed my life. I've learned to trust my instincts and to believe in myself. The instructors was a big help and enable me to controll my biggest fear. The programme was loaded with a lot of activities and we travelled all over the country. I would definitely recommend the Warriors Gap Year. I am going back for the second year and cannot wait to start my journey. A huge thank you to my instructors who taught me that I can do anything! The programme is also a great way to explore SA! Lets GO!!

Tristan

THE BEST YEAR EVER

After completing school at the age of 17, my parents had decided that I was too young to attend university and live on my own, and rightly so.

My time at the Warriors Academy allowed me to grow and mature a remarkable amount. And all of this while having the time of my life in a safe, controlled environment, yet still able to experience what the real world is all about.

In one year at the Warriors Academy I underwent my greatest mental, emotional and physical growth I had experienced to date.

I struggle to articulate just how immensely great the impact of the Warriors Academy was on me.

Along with the experiences gained and lessons learned, I made friends for life. Not just with the other kids attending the year with me, but also the facilitators. It feels weird to call them that because they aren't just facilitators to me anymore, but rather family.

And I consider that one of the best things I gained from the year, not just more close friends, but an extended family, all of whom I would trust with my life. Because they allowed me the opportunity to create an amazing one that wouldn't have been possible without them.

Peter

100% Recommended

My 3 children have stayed individually at the Warriors Academy for the gap-year program. All 3 have had a wonderful time and have grown, especially mentally. The biggest change that I’ve seen in my children was the fact that they became mature young adults, with a better appreciation of who they are and with greater awareness of their own capabilities. Warriors Academy helps young people find their physical and mental limits and make them exceed their boundaries; enabling them to discover what they really can do and how they can further develop those abilities. They gain skills and life experiences, allowing them to build a better future for themselves.

With the help of the amazing Warriors team, this program can make a substantial and life-changing impact on any participant to their gap-year program.

Don't expect a lazy vacation; however do be open to new experiences and sometimes tough physical (and mental) exercises. Go with the flow, push yourself and you'll get there. Look back and you'll discover you'll never want to leave the amazing Warriors!
Dirk

You want your child to develop & grow? Offer them Warriors !

If you as parent consider a gap year should be only about fun and adventure then Warriors is great.
But there is more.
If you want your child to grow as a person, discover him/herself and identify who they really are and what the stand for, then Warriors is THE BEST PLACE to go to. The mental challenges combined with the adventure activities will enable your child to identify and experience his/her qualities and driving forces. And have fun doing it.

The 6 day SelfMastery workshop (at the start of Warriors) is such a strong and valuable part of the whole experience. Me and my wife have done it too and it is life changing. In every sense of the word. I cannot recommend it enough.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Discovering my deepest, most inner limiting beliefs.
It allowed me to really 'see' my self. And that opened a new perspective. That new perspective is enabling me to develop and improve my way of working and my relationships.

Rudi Viljoen, assisted by his wife and children create an environment in which I felt safe enough to go deep inside myself and be open for the confrontation with my inner demons. Scary at first (I'd never been there before) but I felt safe and it resulted in such an eye-opening experience.
Donné

Year of adventure

Warriors was a great year of adventure, new experience, hidden places and new people.
At warriors I was welcomed with warm arms and they tried they best efforts to make us feel all at home. Within the first week they did activities with us to bring the whole group together and become friends. Throughout the year we were always learning something new. I have made many memorable moment from this year of adventure and I have made friends for life in different parts of the world that I still communicate with on a daily bases even though 2 years have past since we were at warriors. Some of the experiences you get through warriors you will never get anywhere else.

What was your funniest moment?
Paddling down a river for just under a week and camping on the side of the river well getting to sleep under the stars (best sleep ever!!) and having two amazing facilitator who kept us energized, motivated and a good convo along the way.