Ultimate Gap Year Surf Course - South Africa

Ultimate Gap Year Surf Course - South Africa

The original Ticket to Ride Surfing Adventure based in our signature surf spot in South Africa. During your instruction from South Africa's surfing elite, you will learn to surf while travelling to 8 locations between Cape Town and Durban.

Exploring these beautiful waters is a life changing experience, absorbing all that this coastline has to offer while giving back through involvement in a range of community projects. Upon successful completion of the course you will qualify as a professionally accredited Surf Instructor and Surf Lifesaver.

Africa » South Africa
Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Sports Coaching
Primary Language
Everything on the ground is included, you'll spent the duration with surf guides, get additional expert tuition from the top SA coaches, take part in a range of awesome extra activities (vineyard visit, climb table mountain, works highest bungee jump, safari park visit etc). All accommodation and transport is included, and we travel 1500 miles staying at 8 different stops, so it makes it an awesome road trip! The instructor qualifications are optional extras, as are the meals. You just need to get to South Africa, and cover your travel insurance, and we'll cover the rest!

The average age range on each of our trips varies (e.g. Costa Rica, Sri Lanka, Indonesia all vary), but for South Africa the most common age range is 18 - 25 years old.

Lily
Rhode Island
Stanford University

Life changing trip

My ticket to ride 10 week instructor course was absolutely amazing. Besides being able to surf in the most breathtaking spots every day, I met incredible people and made life long friends. It was a place where I could truly be myself and it definitely changed my life. It was nice to be in a place that was so different from anywhere I've ever been before. Some of my favorite memories are: surfing next to a pod of dolphins while the sun was setting, going bungee jumping, Friday night South African "braai"s, dancing in the rain, cliff jumping, hiking, and laughing every day. I definitely had some of the best days of my life while on this trip and I can't thank ticket to ride enough for everything.

This is not something that can actually be controlled...but it would be nice if the waves were surfable every day :)

I guess also it would be better if there was more time to be away from the group, as everyone is together a lot.

Johnny
London, UK.
Cardiff University

Unforgettable Experience

One of the best experiences I've ever had. It's been on of my favourite memories and still comes up all the time in conversation. I highly recommend it to anyone. Hightlights of the trip included skydiving, the world's highest bungee jump, ostrich riding, cliff jumping, amazing waves, friendly people, fantastic food, great nightlife and an incredible country.

It was pretty perfect! Maybe play around with SUPs?

Katie
Hampshire
Oxford Brookes University

Best trip I ever took!!

I went from never surfing before to becoming a qualified surf instructor and lifeguard in the space on 10 weeks due to the incredible surf locations and professional teaching I received. The trip was a perfect combination of world class surf instructing, community work and fun through sky diving and bungee jumping. The people I met on the trip have become life long friends and because of that It was the best decision I ever made! I would reccomend this trip to anyone who wants an unforgettable adventure learning or improving the skill of surfing in an exciting and diverse country. It is so much more than just a surf trip and gives you skills and memories that will last a life time. I wish I could do it all over again!!

George
Northampton, United Kingdom

Life Changing!

I'm so glad I found out about this trip. It's a cliché but it is life changing, not just because you get to surf everyday in an incredible country and be coached, trained and guided by two South African champions but because of the people you meet along the way. The group on my trip became a weird family and provided me with memories and experiences i'll never forget! Then there's the opportunity to become a surf instructor. After passing the course I then spent the summer working at the Ticket to Ride surf school in Perranporth, Cornwall, yet another reason to go on this trip! They continue to help and look after you long after the trip has ended.

Great trip and great company!

Some way of making time go slower whilst out there! Ten weeks seems like a long time but it flies by and before you know it you're on a plane back to sunny England!

Ticket to Ride offers the ultimate travelling combination! Learn to surf, get involved in community projects, travel the world and make great friends during the process!

With courses in South Africa, Mozambique, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Morocco, Portugal and the UK, you'll have no problem finding