The Leap | Teaching, Conservation, Safari + Zanzibar in Tanzania

The Leap | Teaching, Conservation, Safari + Zanzibar in Tanzania

Venture out to the wildlife plains of Tanzania to live and contribute with communities in Arusha, Moshi and Lake Manyara + on the balmy coast of Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar Island.

Get stuck into a unique mix of projects which include:
• Teaching kids English and sport in schools.
• Renovating orphanages.
• Coastal conservation.
• Tree planting, environmental conservation.
• Helping run a safari lodge.

Program includes:
• Wildlife safari at Lake Manyara.

Free time:
We'll keep you busy Monday - Friday but you'll have the weekends free to explore. Some of the best backpacker favourities include:
• Safari to the Serengeti National Park.
• hang out on Zanibar Island.
• Climb Mount Meru or Mount Kilimanjaro.

Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
Program Tags
Teach Abroad
Volunteer Abroad
Primary Language
24 hour emergency back-up, management and support.
Airport pick up and transfer to and from all projects sites.
Food and Accommodation
National Park Fees only whilst carrying out project work.

One wildlife safari
4 day Zanzibar Island adventure.

Oskar

Fun and Fulfilling

My journey with the Leap was both eventful and enjoyable. The 6 weeks in Tanzania introduced me to a completely new culture. I learned many things, developed as a person and was glad to be part of the team. Every Leaper received more than adequate support from the Leap's project leaders and I can say that I will miss Tanzania far more than I expected.

I experienced so much. Whether it was sightseeing in the Masai Museum or the snake park adjacent, riding camels (almost got bitten by one of them!) or even taking a dip in the freezing cold Moshi waterfall - the fun never stopped. Relaxing at hot springs or being hypnotised by the breathtaking landscape of the Lake Manyara national park - these were once in a lifetime opportunities.

I most enjoyed building part of a school. But there were many more things to do such as teaching, painting or gardening. Seeing and most of all being able to help those children was more fulfilling than anything I had done before and I am happy I went. The legal aspect wasn't bad either. Seeing Tanzanian court proceedings and day-to-day life at a law firm were indeed interesting to say the least.

I really can't say anything bad about the project I enjoyed it so much. But perhaps some air con or fans in the Dar Es Salaam accomodation would help! It really did get hot - and we weren't even there during the summer period!!

katie
Scotland.

AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!

An amzing experience that i would do again in a heart beat. The place was amazing, we had amazing people looking after us and I made friend with amazing people while i was there. The projects were great most of the time. A few were too short and so we didn't get much done. Also we had a small group and that wasn't taken into consideration when doing manual work. But the teaching and free time were excellent. the people of Tanzania are so warm and friendly.

Better communication. What needed to be done and when it was to be completed wasn't always clear. Mix up with money to pay for Kilimanjaro climb was badly handled by UK and Tanzanian leap staff.

Emily
Essex, England
University of Nottingham

Unforgettable experience

Daily work was challenging but rewarding with weekends off so plenty of time for day trips to waterfalls, hot springs etc. All project staff were so friendly and you feel like part of a family while you are there.

Sometimes it can take a while to do tasks because things at the project haven't been completely organised such as having the right materials. However they always provide them, it just takes longer than you would want.

James
Colorado Springs
Colorado College

Great Experience

Daily work varied and was labor intensive but very rewarding. Many activities to do in the surrounding area and throughout the country. It was difficult adjusting to the culture shock but the program is very welcoming.

A list of outings.

Katie
Surrey

Tanzania

Was brilliant. Really enjoyed it met incredible people and thought that the leap did a great job of arranging everything. Arusha was so good and I liked the fact that the majority of time was based there. The only thing was there was SO much physical manual work which often only the boys could do! I loved the teaching aspect and mingling with the teachers was a fantastic experience.

Communications between leap uk and Tanzania weren't always great.

Corin
London
University of Bristol

Experience of a Lifetime

I would thoroughly recommend this programme to someone wanting a real experience, not just drinking on a beach (not to say you won't in Tanzania!).
Basically, you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful country than Tanzania, obviously the national parks, and coast, but more amazingly the day to day scenery and culture.
On the programme, you are thrown head in, the work is hard but you get used to it pretty quickly. On this programme their is a lot more manual work which I enjoyed because it meant less faffing around teaching and all that, all of which I am a complete fail at.
The local people are amazing, if you take the time to get out into town not just in placement hours, I guarantee you will make amazing friends, and make sure you get the staff to take you out. Basically, you can very easily waste this trip by simply staying in the compound, and not experiencing what amazing opportunities are available every day,

Lastly, the staff were fantastic, the food was great and I have never had a more fulfilling period in my life.

Costs of everything were not totally transparent, the initial figure suggested for spending money is misleading. Most days, even for placement we would need to pay for fuel or materials.

Other problem was the programme was too short!

Taylor
Burlingon Vermont
University of Vermont

Tanzania and Zanzibar LEAP summer program

This was a really fun program, I met a lot of really nice people on the trip. The leaders were very informative and chose a wide varity of areas for the volunteers to help at. We went to three different schools to volunteer at, doing a range of manual labor to teaching English and geography to the students. At the end of the program we were given the opportunity to travel to Zanzibar for the week which was so much fun! Overall, it was such a lovely and enriching experience and I have recommended it to many of my friends!

I would change the length of volunteer work at the certain schools. It was great to move around to different schools in each region, but each stay felt too brief. Myself and some of the other volunteers felt as if we were not able to connect and form strong bonds with the teachers who were at the schools which we stayed at for only a week. It would be lovely to spend longer durations at the schools in order to make stronger bonds with the community at the school.

Ella

Best Experience Of My Life

I went with The Leap to Tanzania in January 2013.
We were a large team and a really good mix of boys and girls. Every day I was there I loved it. Are hosts were always fantastic and SO helpful, the food was at times basic but, always good and fresh. There was never time to get bored, but always time to have a laugh and bond.
We discovered a great hotel with pool etc for weekends and finished with a couple of extra weeks on Zanzibar.
I had previously had kidney problems, when I mentioned a pain, a hospital visit and medication was immediately sorted.
Many of us have stayed in touch and although at different places of education 4 of us have ended up in in Oxford and meet up regularly.
If you are thinking of travelling with The Leap - DO IT - it was amazing and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone !!

If I had to be critical I would say that some of the projects were ever so slightly repetitious and previous groups had done what needed to primarily be done.

Lisa
Jericho, Vermont

Parent Experience

As a parent of two children who traveled at separate times with The Leap to Tanzania, I felt confident that they were in safe hands with experienced, qualified help. We had regular emails from The Leap detailing the volunteer's events and were able to read the blogs from the volunteers posted on the website. It was comforting to hear about their adventures and see pictures of their daily activities. The Leap certainly knows how to run well organized trips and understands and meets the concerns of parent.

Both of my children had great experiences. From a parent's view, my main concern was for their safety. We had great communication from The Leap on a regular basis so we knew how our children were faring. Unlike many other organizations, The Leap has an overseer who was always in close connection with the volunteers and the home base in the UK. I cannot think of anything I would change - other than making trips like this available for adults!!

Jenna
University of Edinburgh

Once in a Lifetime Experience

Tanzania is a fantastic country and I could not have picked a better company to go with. The Leap staff are reliable, helpful and friendly and make sure you are organised and prepared from start to finish. Helping in local orphanages and schools making a genuine difference to many children's lives is an experience which is unforgettable. You learn so much about yourself at the same time. As well as volunteering you also get to experience the local culture and sights and the fantastic thing about travelling to Tanzania is being able to visit Zanzibar island. A tropical paradise! I can not recommend volunteering abroad enough, and I can not recommend a trip to Tanzania to volunteer with The Leap enough either!!

I would have liked to see some more of the things Tanzania had to offer apart from just the beaches and Zanzibar island. More things to do on a budget would have been good to know as a lot of the tourist attractions such as climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and Safari cost a lot of money.

Leanne
University of Leeds

Great!

I went as part of my gap year and the other participants were brilliant - a real mix of people. You get to live with the locals and experience local life and see some of Tanzania that's off the beaten track. Also weekends are free so if you're adventurous you can plan safaris. mountain climbs or rest and relaxation.

Charlotte
University of Huddersfield

Such an amazing experience

I went on this trip almost 6 years ago and I still think about it often and I am still wearing the beaded bracelet of the flag on my wrist! It has never come off! Perhaps not the trip of a life time as these opportunities are more and more frequent - but was definitely the trip of my lifetime!! (So far - nothing has beaten it in 6 years) Exciting, scary, exhilarating, challenging, engaging, emotional and so much fun fun fun! Such a variety on offer and such a safe and welcoming environment to experience it in whilst still taking you out of your comfort zone and into other peoples lives and cultures.

The Leap has been leading the field in overseas volunteering and career enhancing internships since 2002, providing award winning programs across Africa, Asia and South America. They are the first UK company to be accredited by the American Gap Association, about which they are very