• United States of America

Camping Kayaking Rafting
Cabin Tent
Age Max

Pricing

Scholarships and Financial Aid options are available. Get in touch with an admissions representative to find out more!
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Meals Park Fees Tour Guide Transportation Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

Also includes post-experience alumni support and programming, such as Alumni Employment Opportunities, Reunions, and more! Visit https://alzarschool.org/alzar-gap-alumni-support/ for more information.

What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare SIM cards
Dec 14, 2021
Feb 03, 2021
0 travelers are looking at this program

Alzar Gap's Western Whitewater gap program allows students to build tangible river skills. The American West offers a wealth of wild and scenic rivers to explore, with a variety of difficulty levels that appropriately challenge participants of all skill levels. Our experienced instructors guide and coach participants on developing key kayaking and rafting skills that allow all participants to enjoy the world-class whitewater in the American West. Participants earn their Swiftwater Rescue certification and leave the program on their way to working in the whitewater industry or just feeling confident to lead their own adventures after the course. Come spend your summer or fall kayaking and rafting some of the best whitewater on the planet!

Program Highlights

• Earn your Swiftwater Rescue Technician certification while kayaking and rafting in a world class destination.
  • Learn how to kayak and raft amazing whitewater rivers from experienced instructors.
  • Learn how to guide multi-day river trips on the Salmon and Payette rivers.
  • Make life-long friends while exploring breathtaking wilderness.

Abe

Adventures Lie Ahead

I went on the Payette River, one of three rivers featured in the Western Whitewater Gap program while I was a student at Alzar. Northwest whitewater is exciting, serene, and challenging. The landscapes are beautiful, the accommodations with Alzar are comfortable, and the staff does a fantastic job of balancing your comfort level and challenging you to improve. Additionally, I took a Swiftwater Rescue course at Kelly's Whitewater Park, just up the road from the main Alzar campus. Kelly's is well equipped with three main features to accommodate all Swiftwater Rescue lessons and we had well trained staff to guide us along each different scenario. Alzar also integrates student leadership well into each of its expeditions, and gives everyone the chance to help plan and facilitate the trip.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Before my Alzar expeditions, I had no whitewater kayaking experience, so each time I got into a kayak was somewhat nerve-wracking. The Alzar staff helped assuage these fears with careful guidance and appropriate challenges. While I pushed the limits of my comfort zone, I never felt out of control. After a few weeks of paddling, I became much more comfortable and enjoyed my time on the river!