Outward Bound Instructor Development Semesters

Outward Bound Instructor Development Semesters

This Expedition Called Life
It’s not about the 30 to 85 days you spend on an expedition. Outward Bound gives you a whole new perspective and approach to every challenge you face thereafter.

It takes a special kind of person to become an outdoor educator. They brave the elements, day in and day out. They devote a lifetime to working with all kinds of people. They practice patience and compassion, and hone technical, facilitation and leadership skills.

Not everyone has what it takes. But for those who find their calling under the wide blue sky, our Instructor Development courses are designed just for you.

These expeditions offer hands-on teaching experience – so participants can develop top-notch technical skills. With an emphasis on student dynamics, group and individual facilitation, and safety and risk management, Instructor courses prepare students to be elite outdoor leaders and compassionate educators with proven and practical expertise. Best of all, every lesson takes place in rugged experiential learning environments, alongside world-class Outward Bound Instructors.

North America » United States of America
Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Primary Language
Age Max
The total cost includes all tuition and fees for the course. This covers your food, technical gear, and equipment while on course. Not included in this total cost are personal expenses such as clothing, insurance, and airfare.

Andrew
Estes Park, CO
College of the Atlantic

Outward Bound California 65-Day Instructor Development Course (High Sierras, Joshua Tree, Bay Area)

I came into this semester course with some previous outdoor experiences and was unsure about how much more I could learn from a semester course. To answer that question, I learned much more than I ever thought I would. One of the main takeaways from my trip has been to keep the "beginner's mind", or in my case, learning to accept that I didn't know as much as I thought I did and that it's okay.

Having had previous experience with the technical skills of backpacking, mountaineering, rock climbing, and sea kayaking, this course provided for a much needed refresher into these different skills. However, the most influential learning for me was the interpersonal skills. At its core, Outward Bound allows students to put into practice the transferable skills of leadership, communication, and conflict resolution. In this microcosm of a learning environment, it's allowed me to put the skills I've learned and practiced in the backcountry into my everyday life. That's what makes Outward Bound so special. It's not just an outdoor education. The outdoors is simply a vehicle that Outward Bound uses to teach a life education.

It is a program that I highly recommend for either the beginner of the experienced. And while the program is targeted towards aspiring outdoor educators, I think this program would be fit for just about anyone.

Chloe
Winnetka, IL
College of William and Mary

Life-Changing

Doing this course will truly change your life! The memories you will take away from this course and the places you'll see are amazing, and I know I for one would never have done/seen them if it wasn't for this trip. It was challenging every single day but I am so much better for it--I feel so much more independent ever since doing this course, which makes sense because Outward Bound (at least in this program) focuses on having you figure things out yourself.

And though I didn't end up pursuing outdoor education as a career, it has still benefited me so much just in life in general, living in a city.

I still talk about my experience at Outward Bound to this day (and it was over 2 years ago) because of all the things I've done in my life, I am perhaps most proud of doing and completing this course.

Eric
East Northport
University of New Hampshire

Outward Bound Instructor Development Course Washington

My passion for outdoor education and recreation led to my enrollment in a 50-day Outward Bound Instructor Development course. This extraordinary expedition in the Pacific Northwest combined challenging environments with an intensive educational curriculum advancing my educational, technical and medical skills. Upon reflection, my favorite part was the education practicum because the opportunities to teach the skills I learned as a student and see my campers comprehend and practice those skills. This fully immersive course I am incredibly thankful for because it has furthered my passion to teach in the outdoors and taught me to pursue what I love.

I am proud to say this experience led to employment this past summer with Northwest Outward Bound base as an intern. One of the many learnings from my employment included understanding the value of open communication between co-instructors to maintain a supportive and safe environment for the students. Lastly, I would recommend the Instructor Development Course for any inspiring outdoor educators!

Henry
Petaluma
Saint Mary's College of California

50 day Intructor's Training (Three Sisters Wilderness)

It isn't a specific story, but rather a whole experience. On my trip we started with backpacking a section of the Three Sisters Wilderness, Rocking Climbing at Smith Rock, Rafting the Deschutes (i think), and then we finished with less guided backpacking. And while the less guided backpacking was the most difficult due to weather and overall independence, the trip that stays with me the most was Rafting the Deschutes. It was roughly 2 weeks of the most beautiful, and sometimes frightening, place I have ever been. It was challenging everyday, but it was all so rewarding. Each day we had to rig and take down the row-boats, possibly raft through some rapids, and receive some wilderness medical training. It was a daily struggle, but I was never more happy. I had a smile on my face the moment we touched the water. I kind of felt like a super responsible kid because I had jobs I had to do to help my team, but I was laughing and excited the entire time. Outward Bound and this specific part of the trip in general helped me to realize that challenging myself feels good and it never hurts to be positive.

Constantine
Largo, Florida

52 Days: Rockies to Alaska

I met one of my best friends on this course. Every day I would look around in awe that I was actually climbing or hiking in the Rockies, in Wyoming, in Alaska. The beauty is incomprehensible. We made several peak attempts, but our only successful summit was optional. Our group could have walked away, but we came together in the pouring rain, freezing temperatures, and gale winds to make our way to the top. This instructor development course is a great option for just beginning, or taking your foundational knowledge to the next level.

Here at Outward Bound, our motto is "learn by doing." Founded in 1962, Outward Bound has helped over 1 million students achieve their goals. Today, we equip students looking to pursue a gap year with self-confidence, tenacity and compassion. Outward Bound offers programs of all